American Soccer/European Football

Discuss all types of sports.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I'm anxious for the World Cup to start so this seems a good a time as any to try and kill the time! :yh_wink

:yh_kiss <------For The Ladies!!!!!!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

May 25, 2010 U.S. Men vs. Czech Republic 8 p.m. ET Rentschler Field

East Hartford, Conn. Live on ESPN and Galavision

I suppose all of the warm up matches are getting under way...
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1312157 wrote: May 25, 2010 U.S. Men vs. Czech Republic 8 p.m. ET Rentschler Field

East Hartford, Conn. Live on ESPN and Galavision

I suppose all of the warm up matches are getting under way...

England played Mexico at Wembley last night. England 3 - 1 Mexico. Quite a competetive game for a friendly. The Mexicans had far more of the possession and played the better football. Even though Cappello put out an experimental team and was far from being our best side, there were far too many poor performances. This was an opportunity to put themselves up for selection to the final 23 but many of them looked a yard off the pace. We've been in Austria doing altitude training so maybe it had an effect. We play Japan on Sunday and we're all looking for a much better performance ( Once the Chelsea boys are back in the side, you'll see the difference :D )

The Czechs should give you boys a decent game, although they're not quite the team they were 5 or 6 years ago
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1312173 wrote: England played Mexico at Wembley last night. England 3 - 1 Mexico. Quite a competetive game for a friendly. The Mexicans had far more of the possession and played the better football. Even though Cappello put out an experimental team and was far from being our best side, there were far too many poor performances. This was an opportunity to put themselves up for selection to the final 23 but many of them looked a yard off the pace. We've been in Austria doing altitude training so maybe it had an effect. We play Japan on Sunday and we're all looking for a much better performance ( Once the Chelsea boys are back in the side, you'll see the difference :D )

The Czechs should give you boys a decent game, although they're not quite the team they were 5 or 6 years ago

Well the Czechs won 4-2(Which is a brutal scoreline given the competitive nature throughout most of the game i.e. '90 goal by the Czechs)

I have to say while our defense looked completely pathetic in giving up all of those goals(Not to discredit the Czechs) I thought the U.S. team looked very good. We hardly had our World Cup squad out in full force but I was truly impressed by quite a number of our young players most notably Robbie Rogers...He did exceptionally well as young as he is

I think the U.S. is bringing up some very good players, obviously compared to prior years/decades

In any case the U.S. play Turkey this Saturday at 2 PM ET on ESPN2 and Galavision, they will be playing most of the expected starters I believe but could be wrong as well
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

So the teams are off to south Africa. Hard to believe it's been 4 years already,:thinking: at the same time WHAT THE HELL HAS TAKEN SO LONG?!?!?!??!?!?!:yh_rotfl

Ok, here it is...

Team USA beat Turkey tonight 2-1 with spells of very respectable play. I'm confident in USA's play enough to make an impact into the World Cup. In 2002 we had the best chance ever to go to the Semi's while being denied a goal line handball call against Germany. Some games USA goes out and performs, others they flop completely. What I will say with 100% certainty is that anyone that knows anything about soccer/football is that England will most assuredly not flop. England may have games where they lose by mistakes but for the most part their game is technically sound so if USA expects anything they damn well better play with heart and soul because any other mentality and they better get back on the bus and I'd be the first to chant "Your bus is in the parking lot!"!

I can't stand not giving 100% in anything anyone does.

On that a tie would be all USA could hope for against England and a win would go down in history and much like '66 you "chaps" would never hear the end of it, as I'd be the first to remind the meandering mind upon any lack of respect regarding team USA
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Greatly looking forward to the match.

I can't stand not giving 100% in anything anyone does.

Cant agree more. If the world Cup isnt enough of an incentive to play for your country I dont know what is. The award of beating England will stir the US players. It has to be said though, we are under achievers on the world stage. Every World Cup and European Championship, we sing "Football's Coming Home " Too many times we've fallen short, often on penalty shoot outs, which is a devastating way to bail out of a tournament. I'm hoping Capello's disciplined approach will see us through

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1312939 wrote: Greatly looking forward to the match.

Cant agree more. If the world Cup isnt enough of an incentive to play for your country I dont know what is. The award of beating England will stir the US players. It has to be said though, we are under achievers on the world stage. Every World Cup and European Championship, we sing "Football's Coming Home " Too many times we've fallen short, often on penalty shoot outs, which is a devastating way to bail out of a tournament. I'm hoping Capello's disciplined approach will see us through

That was just my point though that, from my observations, when England does lose they lose by pen's or at least knowing they weren't totally outplayed rather unfortunate happenings and that's not exactly depression material.

Although their 2-1 display against Japan I've read was a total breath taker. Was that some sort of sly tactic or did they truly struggle(Not to discredit Japan - Perhaps I've underestimated Japan's prowess as a football/soccer playing nation)?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1313121 wrote: That was just my point though that, from my observations, when England does lose they lose by pen's or at least knowing they weren't totally outplayed rather unfortunate happenings and that's not exactly depression material.

Although their 2-1 display against Japan I've read was a total breath taker. Was that some sort of sly tactic or did they truly struggle(Not to discredit Japan - Perhaps I've underestimated Japan's prowess as a football/soccer playing nation)?

Yeah it was a stinker. I'm holding on to the belief that things cant get any worse. Its not unusual to see teams go off the boil before a big tournament. Italy, Germany, Spain, they have all done it and gone on to do well. The trouble with pre tournament friendlies is trying to find some sort of balance. You want to compete but just how much do you want to commit, given the enormity of the world cup in a few weeks time. When the time comes - hopefully - we will see a different mind set and a fully commited set of players

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1313155 wrote: Yeah it was a stinker. I'm holding on to the belief that things cant get any worse. Its not unusual to see teams go off the boil before a big tournament. Italy, Germany, Spain, they have all done it and gone on to do well. The trouble with pre tournament friendlies is trying to find some sort of balance. You want to compete but just how much do you want to commit, given the enormity of the world cup in a few weeks time. When the time comes - hopefully - we will see a different mind set and a fully commited set of players

Question.

Was it a run out for the team expected to play using the final formation as a shakedown or was it a trial for the marginal players / possible plan B tactics before picking the squad to send?

I truely do not think you can read too much into the last couple of matches - they do not represent what we can achieve on the Field of Honour.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1313155 wrote: Yeah it was a stinker. I'm holding on to the belief that things cant get any worse. Its not unusual to see teams go off the boil before a big tournament. Italy, Germany, Spain, they have all done it and gone on to do well. The trouble with pre tournament friendlies is trying to find some sort of balance. You want to compete but just how much do you want to commit, given the enormity of the world cup in a few weeks time. When the time comes - hopefully - we will see a different mind set and a fully commited set of players

This is why I like to see team USA go into the World Cup, or any game for that matter, with the attitude that they have nothing to prove. This insinuates the team cannot have their pride shattered and so long as they play with heart and conviction they'll never lose, even if the scoreline says they're behind.

Did I mention I LOVE FULHAM! as well!?!?!?!? :wah: :yh_wink

COYW!

USA!
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Bryn Mawr;1313170 wrote: Question.

Was it a run out for the team expected to play using the final formation as a shakedown or was it a trial for the marginal players / possible plan B tactics before picking the squad to send?

I truely do not think you can read too much into the last couple of matches - they do not represent what we can achieve on the Field of Honour.

I agree. Fabio knows by now, what his best team is. His first eleven. It may be tweaked to suit who we play but overall the best eleven players pretty much pick themselves at this stage. Its difficult playing warm up matches before a big tournament. They are much more competetive than they used to be. Friendlies used to be almost like light training with little exursion. Who wants to commit themselves in the tackles and risk serious injury, with the World Cup coming up ? Who wants to run their heart out and overstretch for the ball with the risk of hamstring or groin injuries ? So yep its a balance for those marginals looking to shine in front of the manager.

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1313272 wrote: Friendlies used to be almost like light training with little exursion. Who wants to commit themselves in the tackles and risk serious injury, with the World Cup coming up ? Who wants to run their heart out and overstretch for the ball with the risk of hamstring or groin injuries ? So yep its a balance for those marginals looking to shine in front of the manager.

I grew up playing American football which is why I never played soccer. One thing we were always taught was if we play at only 50% the other half would get you're bones snapped and the damn thing about it is I've always found it to be true!

Seemed like every time someone played with half conviction they always got hurt. I've played at 100% from then on

:yh_wink
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1313317 wrote: I grew up playing American football which is why I never played soccer. One thing we were always taught was if we play at only 50% the other half would get you're bones snapped and the damn thing about it is I've always found it to be true!

Seemed like every time someone played with half conviction they always got hurt. I've played at 100% from then on

:yh_wink

While football is a little different - it can be played at a medium pace with light tackling, its a reason why rugby is not usually played as a friendly. By nature, the game is ultra competive and injuries - some serious - would most certainly occur if they did. American Football by its own nature would be exactly the same

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1313379 wrote: While football is a little different - it can be played at a medium pace with light tackling, its a reason why rugby is not usually played as a friendly. By nature, the game is ultra competive and injuries - some serious - would most certainly occur if they did. American Football by its own nature would be exactly the same

I should have mentioned that I'm a firm believer in doing everything at 100% from a philosophical point of view. I believe in destiny. If I were to get hurt then it was my destiny. Whatever my destiny is I appreciate it with 100% loyalty. This means I don't believe in "time" as a concept which further proves that everything I engage in has the exact same level of notoriety as each and every World Cup because I'd know it to be true within myself.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1313431 wrote: I should have mentioned that I'm a firm believer in doing everything at 100% from a philosophical point of view. I believe in destiny. If I were to get hurt then it was my destiny. Whatever my destiny is I appreciate it with 100% loyalty. This means I don't believe in "time" as a concept which further proves that everything I engage in has the exact same level of notoriety as each and every World Cup because I'd know it to be true within myself.

We did it as kids...

"Alright now, we score this and we win the title!"..."The crowd goes wild!"

I do that in every pick up game I play in to anything I partake in. You should see me walking around, I'm in my own little Wonderland I am!
theezy

Post by theezy »

Its not american soccer.. Other countries call it soccer as well. Like: Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

theezy;1313442 wrote: Its not american soccer.. Other countries call it soccer as well. Like: Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa.

A significant number of peoples from Ireland call it "soccer" as well from what I hear :yh_wink

The thread title needed to be short and sweet however

Although, it is "American soccer" just as it is "soccer" in all of the other countries you've listed, and by the perspectives of all mentioned, "soccer" throughout the World. Thanks for the info :yh_wink
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

The premier league has kicked off.

What's everyone's thoughts thus far?

I hated to see Hodgson go after doing such a remarkable job with Fulham but I suppose that's life. I haven't had the chance to get to see a Liverpool game so is the team doing well? Can his tactics be seen, easily or no? If they have done particularly well thus far is it coincidence or a noticeable improvement? I've respect for Hodgson. I've yet to hear the man say anything wrong I can tell you that! :yh_rotfl

Early surprises from the new teams or will they be the candidates to drop? Who is the candidates to drop?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Oh, an update I suppose is due...

I've taken a break from soccer for the winter months. My teammates have exclaimed how much they're "amazed that I've never played the sport before" and that I've "picked up on the game like a pro"...Me? I'd expected as much! :wah:

I will say in honor of the game how much harder it is than those on television make it appear...Still, of course, suggesting that this differential is purely do to my lack of fitness for the game specifically.

My number one surprise is how sincerely in shape one has to be in order to perform well, my God! Every week I expected to be able to go much longer but failed miserably, after playing for over 5 months! While I did become more and more fit I was still struggling to track back on defense...

None the less I've scored quite a number of goals in my personal opinion but I suppose this is obviously relative to the fact I've never played with exception to this past season... 13 goals in 36 games I don't think is bad at all! :yh_wink

I also created alot of opportunities in attack...

None the less how's everyone's team doing?

Good, bad, ugly?

PS: Fulham play Chelsea in a moments time! :yh_wink
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K. You know how my teams doin' ....LOL but then again you might not want to respond to that in an hour or so :yh_wink

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1343231 wrote: K. You know how my teams doin' ....LOL but then again you might not want to respond to that in an hour or so :yh_wink

Not at all,..I speak the truth as I know it to be and the fact remains that Chelsea played better to add to it that Fulham just didn't look eager to play. It's probably to do with the fact that Chelsea not only is a World renowned club but their recent form as well, none the less I do know a Fulham side that comes out and gives any team in the World a good run on occasion and this one surely wasn't it...Completely dominating Manchester United last year is one such instance and I take nothing back from that. They humiliated them and made them look like a mere average side that day and anyone that says different is a fool.

None the less, well played, the better team won today... :yh_wink
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

do you think any measures will be taken by higher contact sports such as hockey, football/soccer, rugby, because of what the NFL has been doing in light of all the hard hits in the past few weeks of american football
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

littleCJelkton;1343278 wrote: do you think any measures will be taken by higher contact sports such as hockey, football/soccer, rugby, because of what the NFL has been doing in light of all the hard hits in the past few weeks of american football

I cant speak for hockey or American football but measures have been taken , especially over the last few years to combat excessive tackles in football(soccer). I'm in two minds about it having been a football fan and occasional player for well over 45 years and seen the changes for myself. While I have no wish whatsoever to see players injured, it has to be realised that defending is as much of a skill as any other discipline on the field and often its overlooked by the authorities. Good tackling is an art.

Many of modern injuries are as much to do with the development of football boots - they are no longer what I would describe my first pair back in the early 60's, as builders boots ( I never heard of metatarsal breakages in my early days of football. They didnt exist since recent times with the introduction of slimmer, lighter boots), fitness of players and improvement of pitches - therefore speeding up the game.

Efforts have been made, through changes in the rules, to outlaw synical challenges and they are much rarer than they ever were

Rugby is a lot different. It is by design a very physical game. I cant be played any other way. Go in for tackles half hearted and you get hurt. Its all or nothing. Hence you cant strictly have a "friendly" game of Rugby, like you can football. Its an element that cant be taken away, otherwise the game is lost completely. It has to be said that certain types of tackles have now been deemed illegal to safeguard the players health. And by default a game such as Rugby will occasionally give birth to a full blooded melange of flying fists. Its still accepted as being part of the game - up to a point and it usually simmers down pretty quickly. Rugby refs are former players who understand the game far better than football refs do and handle situations like that very well

RUGBY is a game of violence. It is supposed to be. Both codes. It is a game of brutal physical confrontations: individual against individual, group against group. That is, if you like, the point. All the territorial ball games are mimic battles and rugby is the closest sport gets to the real thing. All the more reason, then, for it not to go over the edge.

A memo to those running both rugby codes: If we want real war, we turn to the front of the paper - Times Online

Without violence, rugby is nothing. Would the streets of London have been lined for the winners of the Touch-Rugby World Cup? I think not. But violence is not the whole of the game. Rugby is not 15-man or 13-man boxing. Violence is the setting, the context. Without violence there is no courage, without mayhem there is no grace, without pain there is no exalted relief in victory.

Rugby is supposed to hurt. If it doesn’t hurt, you’re not doing it right. All players know that, accept that. Rugby players all take a remarkable delight in physical contact. Without that strange love, you can’t play rugby. Dealing with fear and pain are essential parts of the activity.

That excerpt explains Rugby beautifully and goes on to demand that the illegal part of the game be completely irradicated

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

littleCJelkton;1343278 wrote: do you think any measures will be taken by higher contact sports such as hockey, football/soccer, rugby, because of what the NFL has been doing in light of all the hard hits in the past few weeks of american football

No.

Because blood and guts sell tickets. Think about it, the contact sports like American Football and Rugby are molded around physical aggression toward others, soccer is not. Physicality is a biproduct of soccer, in AF and Rugby scoring is. Ironic isn't it?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1343356 wrote:

A memo to those running both rugby codes: If we want real war, we turn to the front of the paper - Times Online

I'd argue the same context can be seen in the World of "intellectuals"
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

K.Snyder;1343511 wrote: No.

Because blood and guts sell tickets. Think about it, the contact sports like American Football and Rugby are molded around physical aggression toward others, soccer is not. Physicality is a biproduct of soccer, in AF and Rugby scoring is. Ironic isn't it?

I agree, though AF is slowly turning in to where scoring is the main product. If this happens I think soccer may see a bit larger american fan base.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

littleCJelkton;1343584 wrote: I agree, though AF is slowly turning in to where scoring is the main product. If this happens I think soccer may see a bit larger american fan base.

Thats interesting because here in the UK, we always thought that was a reason for Americans not to like Football (soccer). I spoke to a few Americans who couldnt get their head round the fact that you didnt need a high scoring match for it to be entertaining. A nil - nil to them equalled a dull game. In football that isnt the case and in rugby a draw is reasonably rare anyway.

I have to say that the reverse reasoning is why I dislike Basketball. End to end scoring - high scores - but very little to entertain me in between.

As an aside, England give the Aussies ( Rugby Union ) a bit of a beating today at Twickenham. Thats always very satisfying but all too rare. The odds were against us beating the second ranked side in the world but we put in a great performance and a very respectable score of 35 - 18

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1343599 wrote: Thats interesting because here in the UK, we always thought that was a reason for Americans not to like Football (soccer). I spoke to a few Americans who couldnt get their head round the fact that you didnt need a high scoring match for it to be entertaining. A nil - nil to them equalled a dull game. In football that isnt the case and in rugby a draw is reasonably rare anyway.

I have to say that the reverse reasoning is why I dislike Basketball. End to end scoring - high scores - but very little to entertain me in between.

As an aside, England give the Aussies ( Rugby Union ) a bit of a beating today at Twickenham. Thats always very satisfying but all too rare. The odds were against us beating the second ranked side in the world but we put in a great performance and a very respectable score of 35 - 18

I think all that matters is perspective when it comes to embracing new things...It's not the nil-nil scoreline it's being unable to relate to the game itself which ends in only being able to relate to scoring a goal, that's the perspective...

What people need are players they can relate to which is completely nonexistent here in America, but it's not a personal insult it's just the way it went...History gave us different rules to the very same concept, which is why we call American Football "Football", same game totally different rules, so much so it's unrecognizable to the rest of the World.

The "nil-nil, :yh_sick" is just an illustration of how unfamiliar Americans are with soccer.

It's rapidly growing and I myself have fallen in Love with the game, it just takes time that's all...

It's the commercialization here that is lacking because AF, Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey are not going to sit quietly and watch soccer enter center stage without having a say so...It's the commercial business behind sports that prevent Americans from growing to Love the game not the people, trust me :yh_wink
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

K.Snyder;1343647 wrote: I think all that matters is perspective when it comes to embracing new things...It's not the nil-nil scoreline it's being unable to relate to the game itself which ends in only being able to relate to scoring a goal, that's the perspective...

What people need are players they can relate to which is completely nonexistent here in America, but it's not a personal insult it's just the way it went...History gave us different rules to the very same concept, which is why we call American Football "Football", same game totally different rules, so much so it's unrecognizable to the rest of the World.

The "nil-nil, :yh_sick" is just an illustration of how unfamiliar Americans are with soccer.

It's rapidly growing and I myself have fallen in Love with the game, it just takes time that's all...

It's the commercialization here that is lacking because AF, Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey are not going to sit quietly and watch soccer enter center stage without having a say so...It's the commercial business behind sports that prevent Americans from growing to Love the game not the people, trust me :yh_wink

Don't forget Nascar they get alot of comercialism in too.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1343599 wrote:

You forgot to mention that's now back to back victories against them.

Not that I'd gloat at all but it's *so* refreshing to see :-)
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Bryn Mawr;1343775 wrote: You forgot to mention that's now back to back victories against them.

Not that I'd gloat at all but it's *so* refreshing to see :-)

You're absolutely right. We don't get much of a chance to gloat so we might as well make the most of it.

Chelsea were soundly beaten today by Sunderland. Thoroughly deserved to. Outplayed throughout the game, we were. We dont get beaten at home very often at all and certainly not 3-0. I hope it gives us a good kick up the arse

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1343815 wrote: You're absolutely right. We don't get much of a chance to gloat so we might as well make the most of it.

Chelsea were soundly beaten today by Sunderland. Thoroughly deserved to. Outplayed throughout the game, we were. We dont get beaten at home very often at all and certainly not 3-0. I hope it gives us a good kick up the arse

Wow, what time's MOTD2 on? This I have to see :-)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

BTW, Leicester won the derby match 2:0.

Did I ever say, my son in law is an ardent Derby supporter? For some reason he didn't want to discuss it :-)

Forest in two weeks - see if we can do the both of them :-)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

littleCJelkton;1343687 wrote: Don't forget Nascar they get alot of comercialism in too.

They're the worst!
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

K.Snyder;1343856 wrote: They're the worst!

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Is Liverpool's place in The Prem just coincidence or do they really look shaky? I know they've played and lost to top clubs which make up their losses but I haven't really had the chance to follow along...How's Roy doin anyway?

Is Bolton good or not?

Is Stoke good or not?

Is West Ham going down like the Titanic?

Is Fulham still the team Hodgy Wodgy left? Is Mark Hughes good or not?

How long will Man City last as a top 4 club?

Will the only team left in The Prem whose name begins with a "W" be West Brom next season? I say Yes with a capitol "Y"!

Blackpool has given up more goals than anyone but they've scored more than Totty Wotty and Man City, what's up with that!?!??!?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Does anyone else feel Roy Hodgson wasn't given a long enough chance with Liverpool? I might be a bit biased when it comes to Roy but I can't get passed how much he'd overhauled Fulham! His influence on Fulham! was completely spectacular and he'd made it quite obvious that he's an excellent manager...

Where will he go next, any predictions?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1352250 wrote: Does anyone else feel Roy Hodgson wasn't given a long enough chance with Liverpool? I might be a bit biased when it comes to Roy but I can't get passed how much he'd overhauled Fulham! His influence on Fulham! was completely spectacular and he'd made it quite obvious that he's an excellent manager...

Where will he go next, any predictions?

He's a very dignified man who deserves much more respect than he ever got at Liverpool. He inherited an awful squad put together by Rafa Benitez, a man who was discarded after 6 months at Inter Milan. Needless to say Rafa is touting himself around the Premiership, looking for work.

There is nothing on the grapevine as to what Hodgson's future is. I suspect, as an elder statesman of the game, he may retire gracefully. I have a lot of time for the man. he didnt deserve the grief and anguish he endured at Liverpool

Incidentally, he played and managed my local non-league team back in the late 60's early 70's (the then, Gravesend & Northfleet. Now known as Ebbsfleet fc )

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1352266 wrote: He's a very dignified man who deserves much more respect than he ever got at Liverpool. He inherited an awful squad put together by Rafa Benitez, a man who was discarded after 6 months at Inter Milan. Needless to say Rafa is touting himself around the Premiership, looking for work.

There is nothing on the grapevine as to what Hodgson's future is. I suspect, as an elder statesman of the game, he may retire gracefully. I have a lot of time for the man. he didnt deserve the grief and anguish he endured at Liverpool

Incidentally, he played and managed my local non-league team back in the late 60's early 70's (the then, Gravesend & Northfleet. Now known as Ebbsfleet fc )I'd hate to think he'd retire on such a bad note... I wonder just how much Al Fayed has pondered his return to Fulham...
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1352268 wrote: I'd hate to think he'd retire on such a bad note... I wonder just how much Al Fayed has pondered his return to Fulham...

I'm sure he has. There are very few who are successful at every club they manage. One that springs to mind is Jose Mourinho who gets it right where ever he goes (but makes a few enemies along the way, whether it be the press, officials or the club directors. Never with the fans) The financial burden with many clubs now, demand that coaches achieve instant success. Not many are willing to give them time to bed themselves in and build from the bottom up. Manchester United have the success they have because they showed faith in Alex Ferguson, even when it looked like he was failing. He was pretty close to getting the sack some 20 years ago and more and the rest is history as they say.

Pep Guardiola must have the easiest coaching job in the world at Barcalona. I still have no idea whether he is a great coach. He has a squad of some of the best players in the world, any of whom would be first choice in any other club in the world. Technically brilliant and a joy to watch. All he ever needs to do is pick eleven fit players every week and they go and do the job.

Oh that it was that easy for the rest of the worlds managers ! We could all do it then

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1352269 wrote: The financial burden with many clubs now, demand that coaches achieve instant success. Not many are willing to give them time to bed themselves in and build from the bottom up. Manchester United have the success they have because they showed faith in Alex Ferguson, even when it looked like he was failing. He was pretty close to getting the sack some 20 years ago and more and the rest is history as they say.I know 20 years ago is incomparable to the now dog eat dog business of today's sports so all I can do is cheer on the teams that don't impress by their bank rolls so that every time a team like Fulham beats Manchester United 3-0 and makes them look like a Championship side is all the more gratifying to someone like me who's grown up watching athletes cry and moan off the field because they aren't making $40,000,000 a year compared to their $39,000,000 of yesteryear...It's sick

Sports have transformed into one that used to consist of teams that are now dominated by individuals which doesn't reflect the real reasons why one should should choose to support a team...

What's ironic is the long term reward for fans is dictated by the owners yet their lack of patience is entirely the downfall of what can otherwise be a profit for all involved, greed gotta love it!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fulham really outplayed Totty Wotty today...

I'm afraid Crawley town is going to find themselves crawling back to town soon...Good run though...

Anyway...

Will Liverpool make Champions League Football next season?

What's with Villa and Everton?

Man U seems to have a grip on the trophy. Has any team lifted it without a loss?

"Go Sunderland, it's yo birthday!"

Has Newcastle matured?

Is it true that "you're" cursed if the name of "your" team starts with a "W"? I know it's pretty wide open aside from Man U but I can't see all 3 teams going down being a team whose name doesn't begin with a "W", bit Ironic...

I have to say I've been quite confident in Fulham over the past 2 seasons and even though we escaped relegation by the brim of our teeth I find it particularly unsettling to remain among the bottom half, they're scavengers ffs!, they don't even have teeth look at them!
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1352385 wrote: Fulham really outplayed Totty Wotty today... Brilliant result

I'm afraid Crawley town is going to find themselves crawling back to town soon...Good run though... Many an upset has happened in the FA cup. Giant killing is what it's all about.

Anyway...

Will Liverpool make Champions League Football next season? I hope not *snigger*

What's with Villa and Everton? Villa might improve a bit but Everton are probably where they deserve to be

Man U seems to have a grip on the trophy. Has any team lifted it without a loss? Arsenal did but I dont think Man Utd will. They've been very fortunate with their results at times

"Go Sunderland, it's yo birthday!" They're having a great season

Has Newcastle matured? Nah ! They'll not win a sausage as usual. The great underachievers

Is it true that "you're" cursed if the name of "your" team starts with a "W"? I know it's pretty wide open aside from Man U but I can't see all 3 teams going down being a team whose name doesn't begin with a "W", bit Ironic... All the W's will go down

I have to say I've been quite confident in Fulham over the past 2 seasons and even though we escaped relegation by the brim of our teeth I find it particularly unsettling to remain among the bottom half, they're scavengers ffs!, they don't even have teeth look at them!

But then again this football malarky is so unpredictable, it often comes back to bite you in the arse

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Some obscene amounts of money being bandied about in the last throes of the transfer market. If Carroll is really worth £35 million then Chelsea must have bagged a £50 million bargain with Torres.

I notice Michael Bradley has signed for Villa. Is he American ? I know nothing of him

Ah here it is from the Press Association

Aston Villa have finally completed the loan signing of United States midfielder Michael Bradley for the remainder of the season.

Bradley has made the temporary switch from Borussia Moenchengladbach after impressing Villa boss Gerard Houllier during last summer's World Cup in South Africa.

Bradley was full of anticipation during his interview. Looking forward to the pace and physicality of the Premiership

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1352457 wrote: Some obscene amounts of money being bandied about in the last throes of the transfer market. If Carroll is really worth £35 million then Chelsea must have bagged a £50 million bargain with Torres.

I notice Michael Bradley has signed for Villa. Is he American ? I know nothing of him

Ah here it is from the Press Association

Bradley was full of anticipation during his interview. Looking forward to the pace and physicality of the PremiershipTo be fair Bradley has impressed many on the Football World. His start for the US was a bit questionable in the beginning but he's proved himsef to be more than deserving of is responsibilities and erased all suspicion that he was given his place on the team purely out of "bias" from his father...He's a very good young player that will soon be tested in the Prem...He may surprise and even shock most at times if not reularly...

His transfer to Villa also smacks of bias Among his American owners but he'll soon win the hearts of Villa fans I'm sure...

Good luck to him, just not when he plays against Fully Wully!!!!!...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1352695 wrote: He may surprise and even shock most at times if not reularly...

I should say with respect to his age and current experience obviously but has did well for us...
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

This is huge for WNT first time ever to play in England.

Fish and Chips for the WNT

Posted by WNTBlog at 2/8/2011 8:41 AM CST

The U.S. WNT will play in England for the first time in its 27-year history when the Americans and the Three Lionesses meet on April 2 at Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road in east London. All the players are looking forward to the trip, but U.S. midfielder Tobin Heath more than most. You see, she's a HUGE English Premier League fan, especially the Gunners of Arsenal, and can't wait to experience some of the English soccer culture.

My Niece is in the bottom row second on the left.

Attached files
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

CARLA;1353211 wrote: This is huge for WNT first time ever to play in England.

My Niece is in the bottom row second on the left.

I sincerely hope she enjoys the experience Carla and gets to watch a Premiership match. An Arsenal match at the Emirate Stadium would be entertaining, especially against one of the top teams.

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

CARLA;1353211 wrote: This is huge for WNT first time ever to play in England.

My Niece is in the bottom row second on the left.I will most definately watch this game!... :yh_bigsmi
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Dempsey had a chance to set himself up on a pedestal in Fulham history and, while I like the "chap", he failed... Making that pk and beating Chelsea would have been a moment Fulham would never forget...So disheartening...

At the end of the day Murphy would have slotted it home, I'm torn...Completely torn as A Fulham supporter and it's not a matter of who was taken down in the box but for the outcome of the team...

Did he deserve to take the penalty? Yes

Did he deserve to take the penalty above Murphy? No

None the less, good result,.....I suppose

Return to “Wide World of Sports”