show me your birds!

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
Odie

show me your birds!

Post by Odie »

Do you have birds in your yard and feeders?

I have a finch feeder, sunflower feeder and a suet feeder.

the birds I have:

Red Cardinals

blue-jays

wrens

yellow finches

sparrows

red wing black birds

black birds

chic a dee's

woodpeckers

what birds do you have?
Life is just to short for drama.
spot

show me your birds!

Post by spot »

Like this?

Attached files
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

show me your birds!

Post by YZGI »

spot;1311539 wrote: Like this?
:yh_rotfl Damn beat me to it.
Odie

show me your birds!

Post by Odie »

why did I even bother.:rolleyes:
spot

show me your birds!

Post by spot »

The thread makes no sense now the title's been changed, I'll give you that. The shoe's disappeared for some reason.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

show me your birds!

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1311562 wrote: The thread makes no sense now the title's been changed, I'll give you that. The shoe's disappeared for some reason.

'shoe me your birds' quite an easy typo to make ;)

I'm more worried about the different meanings of 'bird' :wah:
Mustang

show me your birds!

Post by Mustang »

spot;1311539 wrote: Like this?

Good one Spot!

Odie;1311553 wrote: why did I even bother.:rolleyes:

Come on Odie, where's your sense of humor today? Now that was damn funny and you know it. :wah: Lucky I wasn't around earlier cuz I'd have done something like Spot did! :sneaky: And so what, about the spelling mistake, we all make them occasionally. ;) The title of your thread was fixed, so let's continue with this thread, shall we? :)

Birds...let me put it this way, we feed so many different kinds that I've been thinking about trying to claim them on next years income tax form as a deduction. :p :wah:

Pileated woodpeckers, redheadead woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, flickers, hummingbirds, cardinals, chickadees, sparrows, swallows, grosbeaks, wild turkey, grouse, woodcocks, boston orioles, nuthachers, titmouses, turkey vultures, hawks and whatever else visits our yard. Lots of activity daily! :guitarist
theia

show me your birds!

Post by theia »

Mustang;1311625 wrote: Good one Spot!

Come on Odie, where's your sense of humor today? Now that was damn funny and you know it. :wah: Lucky I wasn't around earlier cuz I'd have done something like Spot did! :sneaky: And so what, about the spelling mistake, we all make them occasionally. ;) The title of your thread was fixed, so let's continue with this thread, shall we? :)

Birds...let me put it this way, we feed so many different kinds that I've been thinking about trying to claim them on next years income tax form as a deduction. :p :wah:

Pileated woodpeckers, redheadead woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, flickers, hummingbirds, cardinals, chickadees, sparrows, swallows, grosbeaks, wild turkey, grouse, woodcocks, boston orioles, nuthachers, titmouses, turkey vultures, hawks and whatever else visits our yard. Lots of activity daily! :guitarist

Mustang, I haven't even heard of some of your garden birds. All I can claim are magpies, seagulls and blackbirds!
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

show me your birds!

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1311564 wrote:

I'm more worried about the different meanings of 'bird' :wah:

Well to be honest.....I thought "Show me your Bird's" what ?

Reads like a readers wives pic opportunity.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Mustang

show me your birds!

Post by Mustang »

theia;1311763 wrote: Mustang, I haven't even heard of some of your garden birds. All I can claim are magpies, seagulls and blackbirds!

It's like a bird sanctuary all year around. Yes, we have blackbirds too and the occasional seagull and sandpipers. Ravens, crows and kingfishers also. And all different kinds of owls. My wife says if you feed them they will come and boy do they. :wah:
Odie

show me your birds!

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1311625 wrote:

I'd love to have hummingbirds, their magnificent speed and agility is quite amazing.

vultures and hawks would really be fitting, but somehow I cannot picture them in our city!:yh_rotfl

We do have hawks, but you seldom see one, I have seen only one crunching on a dead bird out back years ago.

no grosbeaks either, guess you have to live in the country for most of them you have.
Odie

show me your birds!

Post by Odie »

theia;1311763 wrote: Mustang, I haven't even heard of some of your garden birds. All I can claim are magpies, seagulls and blackbirds!

I wish we had magpies here, such an awesome looking bird!:guitarist

spot

show me your birds!

Post by spot »

Within walking distance I can find swallows, herons, red kites, kestrels and buzzards. In the hills over the channel there are eagles patrolling up and down the valleys, each with their own territory. I saw a huge owl try to carry off a miniature poodle in Glastonbury a few years ago too in broad daylight, the owner walking it on a lead was outraged.

And robins. I quite like the robins. They're territorial too.

And jackdaws and thrushes and skylarks and wagtails.
Mustang

show me your birds!

Post by Mustang »

Odie;1311797 wrote: I'd love to have hummingbirds, their magnificent speed and agility is quite amazing.

vultures and hawks would really be fitting, but somehow I cannot picture them in our city!:yh_rotfl

We do have hawks, but you seldom see one, I have seen only one crunching on a dead bird out back years ago.

no grosbeaks either, guess you have to live in the country for most of them you have.

We have lots of hummingbirds this year. Had to go buy more feeders today so we don't have to fill them daily.

Depends on what your feeding, what comes in. Grosbeaks go through the black oil sunflower seeds like crazy. The hawks try to grab the rabbits and squirrels but most of the time they end up with the doves or bluejays.

Vultures like any kind of meat put out for them. Roadkill is their favorite. The stinkier, the better. :p
Mustang

show me your birds!

Post by Mustang »

spot;1311808 wrote: Within walking distance I can find swallows, herons, red kites, kestrels and buzzards. In the hills over the channel there are eagles patrolling up and down the valleys, each with their own territory. I saw a huge owl try to carry off a miniature poodle in Glastonbury a few years ago too in broad daylight, the owner walking it on a lead was outraged.

Robins. Lots of them here too. They'll dive bomb us when we get too close to where they're nesting.

Sounds like you have many different types of birds to view in your area too Spot.

Don't imagine seeing ones dog carried off would make anyone happy.
spot

show me your birds!

Post by spot »

Mustang;1311810 wrote: Robins. Lots of them here too. They'll dive bomb us when we get too close to where they're nesting.
Robins I could cope with. What I found hard to escape was a psychotic seagull of immense wingspan that had decided the footpath out of the university car park was his bit of turf, he was absolutely terrifying and drew blood with his beak unless you had an umbrella with you.
Odie

show me your birds!

Post by Odie »

spot;1311808 wrote: Within walking distance I can find swallows, herons, red kites, kestrels and buzzards. In the hills over the channel there are eagles patrolling up and down the valleys, each with their own territory. I saw a huge owl try to carry off a miniature poodle in Glastonbury a few years ago too in broad daylight, the owner walking it on a lead was outraged.

Its amazing the different species you have over there that we never see here.

I love robins as well, and forgot to write them down, they love the birdbath and stay quite a long time fluffing about!:yh_rotfl

Herons, eagles I know off......but not the rest.

wow, to see an owl trying to carry off a dog?

I can only imagine how the owner felt.
Odie

show me your birds!

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1311810 wrote: Robins. Lots of them here too. They'll dive bomb us when we get too close to where they're nesting.

Sounds like you have many different types of birds to view in your area too Spot.

Don't imagine seeing ones dog carried off would make anyone happy.

really? I have around 8 robins and they are all just picking around for worms, not harming any other birds nor humans.
theia

show me your birds!

Post by theia »

spot;1311811 wrote: Robins I could cope with. What I found hard to escape was a psychotic seagull of immense wingspan that had decided the footpath out of the university car park was his bit of turf, he was absolutely terrifying and drew blood with his beak unless you had an umbrella with you.

My sister in law lost her ice cream cone to a swooping seagull in St Ives...the bird was so quick and seemed to appear from no-where. Being local to Cornwall we should have known...even the ice cream shops have seagull warning signs, for tourists :-5

Odie, the magpies here are beautiful and quite fearless when they hop around outside the back door.

The local owl sanctuary was raising funds outside Asda the other week. The birds were incredible.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Odie

show me your birds!

Post by Odie »

theia;1311877 wrote: My sister in law lost her ice cream cone to a swooping seagull in St Ives...the bird was so quick and seemed to appear from no-where. Being local to Cornwall we should have known...even the ice cream shops have seagull warning signs, for tourists :-5

Odie, the magpies here are beautiful and quite fearless when they hop around outside the back door.

The local owl sanctuary was raising funds outside Asda the other week. The birds were incredible.

I finally saw magpies on the new show called, Phil down under......:guitarist

he is a real estate agent from the UK that has now gone to Australia for his new show and is helping UK home owners find a home in Australia.

Then he showed the coco-burrows? (not sure on spelling)

They also were so cute and I adored their chirping.:guitarist

oh Theia, thats so nice to have them right at your back door.

do you feed them?

Return to “The Coffee Shop”