Did Lizzie Do It?

RedGlitter

Did Lizzie Do It?

Post by RedGlitter »

I know it seems morbid but ever since I was a kid and saw that Elizabeth Montgomery movie, I have been fascinated with Lizzie Borden, the alleged Massachusetts axe murderess.

I read everything I can get my hands on about the case and yet I still remain undecided. I figure she probably did it but then...maybe not. I mean stranger things have happened....

What do you think about it?

Here are some links....

The Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast (who came up with THIS idea?!)

http://www.lizzie-borden.com/

Trial of Lizzie (has links for graphic photos- beware)

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project ... hotos.html
chonsigirl

Did Lizzie Do It?

Post by chonsigirl »

I remember that made for TV movie, with Elizabeth Montgomery in it.

Oh, who knows if she did it...........
spot

Did Lizzie Do It?

Post by spot »

It astonishes me that anyone could think she killed her parents, either at the time or now. How on earth is anyone supposed to do that and have no blood on them minutes later and not at least be shaking with terror at what had happened?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Did Lizzie Do It?

Post by RedGlitter »

Well...I don't know but it's been assumed she was naked at the time of the murders, although given the era, that seems unlikely to me. She was also seen to have burned a dress that she claimed she got paint on. That could have been the dress.

As for her behavior afterward,I wouldn't find it too odd that she wasn't in terror of what she'd done. When I think of her, I think of a very repressed and frustrated virginal spinster woman who had little chance at her (still young) age to have a life...I think one of the keys is the era it happened in...she couldn't refute her father, he was an obstacle to what she saw as normalcy in life (indoor plumbing, money, etc) as was her stepmother and Lizzie wouldn't have gotten all her inheritance if she hadn't killed Abby too. I think she snapped but with time enough to plan out a way to do the job. :-3
guppy

Did Lizzie Do It?

Post by guppy »

to bad we didnt have csi then...we would know who done it...i think she probably did..from what i have read but as a juror i would have to say innocent cause it really cant be proven either way....
spot

Did Lizzie Do It?

Post by spot »

I don't even think, naked or otherwise, that someone's hair would remain unstained after an attack like that. She's likely to have washed her hair as well? And nobody's going to say "oh Lizzie, your hair's all damp"? It's all unbelievably fanciful. As for "beyond reasonable doubt" it's nonsense.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Did Lizzie Do It?

Post by RedGlitter »

I don't know Spot, maybe she wore something to cover her hair? I'm not arguing with you, just playing on one side is all, as I'm undecided. I would think an axe wouldn't have the spatter factor that a gun has. But maybe it's just as messy.

If you don't think Lizzie did it, who do you think might have? The maid? The estranged brother? An intruder? I'm thinking the maid had to be in on it because who would commit an act like that when they could be caught doing it at any time?
spot

Did Lizzie Do It?

Post by spot »

I've no idea who killed the two people. You can be quite sure it wasn't a murder-and-suicide though.

As for "splatter", the murderer would have been as drenched in blood as Carrie in that film. We're not talking about the odd drop here and there. This is an axe. Body and killer within a couple of feet of each other at most. Arterial blood spurting to the other side of the room, dripping from the ceilings. There's not even any mention of bloody footprints in the website you mentioned but I'd have thought the killer must have trailed evidence from room to room. The entire account is hard to reconcile with noisy butchery.
sunny104

Did Lizzie Do It?

Post by sunny104 »

these things would cause reasonable doubt in my mind.

this from the article: The face was hacked to pieces and the blood had covered the man's shirt." Despite the gore, "the room was in order and there were no signs of a scuffle of any kind."

and the fact that her step mothers body was cold while her father's was still warm would make it seem unlikely that it could've been an intruder. If someone came into the house with the intent to kill them they would want to be in and out as quick as possible and most likely wouldn't have chosen to do it during the day when it's more likely that someone could've seen them.

Plus if it was someone who came to the house with the intent to murder the dad why would they take the risk of going upstairs to find the step mother and why weren't the housekeeper and Lizzie murdered as well.

there was something about her trying to purchase a poison the day before and her parents suffering stomach pains/problems which Lizzie attributed to bad bread.

and lastly, she let out cries of joy twice at the conclusion of her trial when she was found not guilty. I would think someone who was innocent would be relieved it was over but still sad, subdued, etc.

whatcha think??
bongbong

Did Lizzie Do It?

Post by bongbong »

i don't base this on any evidence but i just have this feeling she did not do it
librtyhead

Did Lizzie Do It?

Post by librtyhead »

Just as sure as the sun comes up.........

She did it.

Just as much as a door opens up.......

She did it.

Just as soon as the light went out....

She did it.

But when the dog started barking...

She hide it.

:-3

Return to “Crimes Trials”