FG Film Reviews

Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)

Nomads Rating:

In London, the sideshow troupe of Doctor Parnassus promises to the audiences a journey to the "Imaginarium", an imaginary world commanded by the mind of Doctor Parnassus where dreams come true. In the stories that Doctor Parnassus tells to his daughter Valentina, to the midget Percy, and his assistant Anton, he claims to have more than one thousand years; however, when he felt in love for a mortal, he made a deal with the devil Mr. Nick trading his immortality per youth. As part of the bargain, he promised his son or daughter to Mr. Nick on the sixteenth birthday. Valentina now is almost in the doomed age and Doctor Parnassus bets with Mr. Nick that whoever seduces five souls in the Imaginarium will have Valentina as a prize. Meanwhile the troupe rescues Tony that was hanged on a bridge by the Russians that explains why he had been chased and he joins the group. Tony and Valentina fall in love for each other and the jealous Anton discovers that his competitor is a liar.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

I shall be watching The Collector this evening.

My review will be posted for all to see and discuss soon.

Thank you,

Nomad
I AM AWESOME MAN
fuzzywuzzy

FG Film Reviews

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

The collector as in the butterfly collector? as in the book "the collector?"

Ewwwhhh grossly horrible.

Anyway a nice little Irish film '48 Angels.'

a boy is given no hope after learning that he can't have anymore radiation therapy. his young friend tells him of an old Irish myth where essentially if you find god/Jesus first he won't take you to heaven, but if he finds you first you have no choice but to leave with him.............So the boy sets out to find god/jesus.........first.

'I'm not There'

Movie about Bob Dylans experiences ( I won't say life)

In a nut shell, get stoned first and it will make more sense.

Kate Blanchet does a great job though.
K.Snyder

FG Film Reviews

Post by K.Snyder »

"Splice (2009)" was so incredibly disturbing I hesitate to even give the piece of garbage any mention, even for one of extreme hostility.

This movie is so incredibly bad I'd personally bring the director up on criminal charges. I'm not quite certain what would stick at this point so if anyone's serious about suing these people let me know and I'll give it some more thought
K.Snyder

FG Film Reviews

Post by K.Snyder »

An old movie I've seen lately was "October Sky" and I loved it

It was fantastic. It's one from 1999 so many may have seen it. The true story of Homer Hickam, a coal miner's son who was inspired by the first Sputnik launch to take up rocketry against his father's wishes. October Sky (1999) - IMDb

Another one also was The pianist A Polish Jewish musician struggles to survive the destruction of the Warsaw ghetto of World War II. I should warn you that this one is incredibly vivid but then again nothing can compare to what happened in World War II

A few I want to see is Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Red Tails, and the new one with Liam Neeson called The Grey

Anyone anticipating a new movie or have any suggestions atm?
Ahso!

FG Film Reviews

Post by Ahso! »

Atlas Shrugged

Anyone see this trash of a Movie? My word, it's got to be the worst movie ever made. I'd suppose there are a couple here who'd agree with the paranoid concept of the movie. I've read somewhere that it was inspired by something Ayn Rand wrote. Rand was a true nutcase.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Saint_

FG Film Reviews

Post by Saint_ »

Ahso!;1424758 wrote: Atlas Shrugged

Anyone see this trash of a Movie? My word, it's got to be the worst movie ever made. I'd suppose there are a couple here who'd agree with the paranoid concept of the movie. I've read somewhere that it was inspired by something Ayn Rand wrote. Rand was a true nutcase.

After I heard that it was the "conservative tea party bible" I vowed not to watch it.
Ahso!

FG Film Reviews

Post by Ahso! »

Only idiots could believe such nonsense.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
shinning_like_me

FG Film Reviews

Post by shinning_like_me »

lol,

Right I will also not believe such a review, To know the reviews Latest Hindi Movie Reviews
Saint_

FG Film Reviews

Post by Saint_ »

Just watched Robert Redford's new movie, "All is Lost."

Redford does the "Castaway" thing with greater depth of feeling than Tom Hanks, that that's saying something. A truly great show, but my wife wanted more closure from the ending (which does close the movie quite well, but it's just that it was such a great show that you want it to keep going!)
shinning_like_me

FG Film Reviews

Post by shinning_like_me »

The Collector has always been on the list of mY mUST wATCH mOVIE, I HAVE LOVED Watching This Movie
spot

FG Film Reviews

Post by spot »

Some time in the recent past I saw Interstellar (2014).

I caught, at best, one word in ten from start to finish with the sole exception of those spoken by John Lithgow and Michael Caine.

John Lithgow is an actor. Michael Caine is an actor. God only knows who all the other street sweepings were that starred in the piece, but they could none of them talk English.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

FG Film Reviews

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1481397 wrote: Some time in the recent past I saw Interstellar (2014).

I caught, at best, one word in ten from start to finish with the sole exception of those spoken by John Lithgow and Michael Caine.

John Lithgow is an actor. Michael Caine is an actor. God only knows who all the other street sweepings were that starred in the piece, but they could none of them talk English.

I posted as much a little while ago. A film spoilt by a ludicrous amount of unecessary mumbling. That's a lot of mumbling in a two and a threequarter hour film.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

FG Film Reviews

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1481400 wrote: I posted as much a little while ago. A film spoilt by a ludicrous amount of unecessary mumbling. That's a lot of mumbling in a two and a threequarter hour film.
I do apologize - my memory is not as competent as it once was, and I've had several weeks absence in the last while. I'll go and look.

Found it - http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/films ... ellar.html

Your "couple of other niggles" might have included sharing office space in a silo equipped with, among other inflammable items, a Saturn 5 which is actually launched part-way through the proceedings.

As for the mumbling, one is reminded of Oliver Wendell Holmes:Don't, like a lecturer or dramatic star,

Try over hard to roll the British R;

Do put your accents in the proper spot;

Don't, let me beg you, don't say "How?" for "What?"

And, when you stick on conversation's burrs,

Don't strew your pathway with those dreadful urs.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Saint_

FG Film Reviews

Post by Saint_ »

My poor wife could barely sit through the entire show even though she loves that actor. I thought, "Take off the first 45 minutes and you have a better movie."
Betty Boop

Re: FG Film Reviews

Post by Betty Boop »

"Alice, Darling"

I guiltily packed in study early for the night to watch this film, it's not the sort of film you watch with your 12-year-old son, and he'll be back here tomorrow so I had to fit it in today. My daughter would have watched it with me, but no one else would have, and as she's not here I settled down with coffee, and it had my full attention from the start.

Brilliantly done. The actress was so good at the portrayal of a woman caught up in a controlling relationship, the silence, the waiting of what might come next, the knowing of what might, or even might not, come next, the heart beating faster in anticipation, the holding of your breath, it was all there.
All aspects of the film were 'reality' for the victim, this should be part of the school curriculum, you can tell people about coercive control, but it's actually really hard to 'see' it and fully understand what is happening until all so often it's too late. Our children need to learn that no one person should ever control another person.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”