American Soccer/European Football

Discuss all types of sports.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Stoke City Beat Fulham 3-2 in what looked like miserable playing conditions...

The reason Fulham lost? Oh well, it was because Fulham looked like they wanted to go home and curl up in front of their fireplaces rubbing each others' toes and sipping HOT COCO! :yh_tired!

3-0 at halftime! Come on Fulham! :yh_tired!

Dempsey came on and breathed life into Fulham! I'm not sure if he plays so hard because he thinks he always has something to prove or because he truly loves the game that much but he created the first goal picking out Duff in front of the box and scored what I know will be the goal of the month and will certainly be a candidate for goal of the year! Have a look! :yh_wink We'll see you "Limeys" in July! :wah: :yh_wink

YouTube - Clint Dempsey's Amazing Goal vs. Stoke City

COYW!!!!!!! :yh_tired! :wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I'd mentioned it in the Olympics thread I believe but I'll tell everyone here since it fits!

I've joined a soccer league and will begin in a couple of weeks so everyone be prepared to be AMAZED!!!!! :yh_rotfl :yh_wink

I'll let you know how I do! :yh_wink
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

So, what are you K ? A fox in the box ? Midfield dynamo ?

Or kick and rush ? :wah:

I miss the days of jumpers for goalposts, 15 a side and playing till the sun goes down or till most have gone home for their tea
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1296301 wrote: So, what are you K ? A fox in the box ? Midfield dynamo ?

Or kick and rush ? :wah:

I miss the days of jumpers for goalposts, 15 a side and playing till the sun goes down or till most have gone home for their tea

Yeah, sorry, I would mention it but it's just a local sign up league so we have to put the positions together when we find out who is on which team...

I want to play striker or winger but because I'm out of shape I'd rather play striker. I'm hugely offensive when I play sports and I don't have an ounce of knowledge pertaining to soccer tactics so defense would not be my strong point. That and I WANT TO SCORE GOALS!!!!!!!! :yh_wink

I can tell you that I will most definitely be the most agile player on the field and my short bursts are VERY QUICK AND LIGHTENING FAST! :yh_wink

Plus I know more of how to play striker than any other position in making runs at the back line and backtracking to serve as an outlet pass from the midfield whenever possible but I have to assume everybody and their mother-in-law's will want to play striker! :wah: :yh_wink

I'll let ya know... :yh_wink
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fulham defeat Juventus 5-4 on aggregate by winning at home 4-1!!!!

Way to go FULHAM!!!!

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

:yh_wink
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

On a side note I believe I will be playing half back in my local league so would like anyone to give me suggestions on how to play the position...

I'm not a complete idiot and have a basic understanding of how to play all positions so I'm basically looking for what's most important relative to each typical playing style(i.e. direct play, offensive mentality, how to know when I will be backed up when going forward etc...etc...)...

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks... :yh_wink
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

That has got to be the result of the season. No idea what the odds were (particularly in Italy ) but I wish I'd stuck a tenner on that one. They'll get ripped to pieces in the Italian press

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1297762 wrote: On a side note I believe I will be playing half back in my local league so would like anyone to give me suggestions on how to play he position...

I'm not a complete idiot and have a basic understanding of how to play all positions so I'm basically looking for what's most important relative to each typical playing style(i.e. direct play, offensive mentality, how to know when I will be backed up when going forward etc...etc...)...

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks... :yh_wink

Nothing like chucking yourself in the deep end. The most demanding and unforgiving position on the football field. Strikers make mistakes all the time. Centre halfs cant afford to make mistakes or you get the goalkeeper screaming at you for making his life very difficult or it ends up in the back of your net. It all depends on the standard of football being played and also the formation. Lets take John Terry of Chelsea for example. Lays his life down every time he pulls the shirt on - as he should do. He leads from the back - he can see the play opening in front. He goes forward for corners - centre halfs need to be strong in the air and when he does the holding midfielder (Mikel and Makelele before him ) covers for him. In a 4-4-2 the two centre backs need a good understanding of each other, how to hold the line and push forward for the offsides. And hopefully, the left and right backs are always there to help defend, whether they are full backs or wing backs doesnt matter. They have defensive duties as well. Midfielders need to place themselves in a position to help you distribute through them. Dont do the fancy clever stuff. You''l get egg on your face. :wah: Leave that to those up front.

As I said its the toughest position on the pitch.

I suggest you get vocal. You will see more than those in front of you. Learn when to distribute through your midfield or on occasions there is a place for booting it into row Z

Good luck and let us know how you get on. I'll be interested

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1297768 wrote: That has got to be the result of the season. No idea what the odds were (particularly in Italy ) but I wish I'd stuck a tenner on that one. They'll get ripped to pieces in the Italian press

:yh_giggle :wah: :yh_wink
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1297773 wrote: Nothing like chucking yourself in the deep end. The most demanding and unforgiving position on the football field. Strikers make mistakes all the time. Centre halfs cant afford to make mistakes or you get the goalkeeper screaming at you for making his life very difficult or it ends up in the back of your net. It all depends on the standard of football being played and also the formation. Lets take John Terry of Chelsea for example. Lays his life down every time he pulls the shirt on - as he should do. He leads from the back - he can see the play opening in front. He goes forward for corners - centre halfs need to be strong in the air and when he does the holding midfielder (Mikel and Makelele before him ) covers for him. In a 4-4-2 the two centre backs need a good understanding of each other, how to hold the line and push forward for the offsides. And hopefully, the left and right backs are always there to help defend, whether they are full backs or wing backs doesnt matter. They have defensive duties as well. Midfielders need to place themselves in a position to help you distribute through them. Dont do the fancy clever stuff. You''l get egg on your face. :wah: Leave that to those up front.

As I said its the toughest position on the pitch.

I suggest you get vocal. You will see more than those in front of you. Learn when to distribute through your midfield or on occasions there is a place for booting it into row Z

Good luck and let us know how you get on. I'll be interested

Oh wow...Actually I was under the impression that half back was a full back for some odd reason...I can't for the life of me guess why our team captain would say that I should play half back when I told her I never played the game before(It's a co-ed league) and all I can assume is that she meant to say something else...

I sincerely do not want to play defense at all...I'd much rather play striker...

I'll have a talk with her as the team wouldn't want someone inexperienced playing the "most demanding and unforgiving position on the football field" either...I'll have a talk with her indeed...

Consider this portion of the thread on hold atm...

Thanks Snowfire for the input it is greatly appreciated.

GO FULHAM!!!!! :wah::yh_rotfl:yh_wink
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

This will give a very basic idea of the positions on the pitch and the role they play

BBC SPORT | Football | Laws & Equipment | Positions guide: who is in a team?

Attached files

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1280550 wrote: Stoke City Beat Fulham 3-2 in what looked like miserable playing conditions...

The reason Fulham lost? Oh well, it was because Fulham looked like they wanted to go home and curl up in front of their fireplaces rubbing each others' toes and sipping HOT COCO! :yh_tired!

3-0 at halftime! Come on Fulham! :yh_tired!

Dempsey came on and breathed life into Fulham! I'm not sure if he plays so hard because he thinks he always has something to prove or because he truly loves the game that much but he created the first goal picking out Duff in front of the box and scored what I know will be the goal of the month and will certainly be a candidate for goal of the year! Have a look! :yh_wink We'll see you "Limeys" in July! :wah: :yh_wink

YouTube - Clint Dempsey's Amazing Goal vs. Stoke City

COYW!!!!!!! :yh_tired! :wah:On a side note I thought that goal was Fantastic...

Perhaps I'm biased? COYW!!!!!!! :yh_tired! :wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1297930 wrote: This will give a very basic idea of the positions on the pitch and the role they play

BBC SPORT | Football | Laws & Equipment | Positions guide: who is in a team?

Thank you very much Snowfire...

I am very familiar with terms such as "center back etc..." so perhaps where our problems lay is the fact that I prefer the English Premier League above the MLS eh? :yh_wink :wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I've been wanting to buy a pair of the red shoe laces from NIKE as noted in my signature to help fight HIV/AIDS but all I can find is the option to buy on the internet and seeing as I need just about every penny to go to school with enough fuel to get me there I don't want to pay S&H, anyone know if the stores sell those particular ones? YouTube - (NIKE)RED Lace Up Save Lives
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Well I'll have everyone know that I've played in my first official soccer game today. Firstly, all of our team hadn't shown up for some reason I can only guess because the day was moved to Saturday whereas we're supposed to play on Sunday's. Our game was rained out due to a muddy field last week and with Easter tomorrow this is the day of choice by the league. On that I must say I wasn't ready go a full half let alone an entire 80 minutes(Which is what we play) and I'm completely exhausted. Well more a little sore but anyway! :rolleyes:

I played striker on the left and actually would have had a goal as we had a two on one break and the other striker to my right lead me too far on top of it being waist high leaving the ball difficult o head or kick it home. I managed to get a toe on it but it ricocheted off me foot!

This is good for me as I wanted to work on my cardio more due to my resistance training not sufficing in that regard and I much prefer to do so playing a sport. Soccer is the obvious choice as I've fallen in LOVE with the sport and wanted to give it a try...Thanks to the English(Or Scots or Chinese for that matter) :yh_wink

I'll be playing for Man U in no time!!!!! :yh_wink :yh_wink :yh_kiss<----For The Ladies!!!!!!!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fulham beat Wigan 2-1 today...

Very good result considering Fulham hadn't done well in March in the Prem

Here's the current English Premier League standings
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Way to go FULHAM!!!!!

I'm proud of them!!!

How could anyone yet not in love with an English football club not fall in LOVE with Fulham FC!?!??!? :yh_wink

WAY TO GO FULHAM!!!!!

They make me proud!!!!

In-form striker Bobby Zamora was once again the hero for Fulham FC as his first-minute strike secured a 1-0 victory over German champions VfL Wolfsburg, rubberstamping his side's ticket into the UEFA Europa League semi-finals. UEFA.com - UEFA Champions League 2010 - Wolfsburg-Fulham
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Brilliant result. Club history in the making.

Semi Final draw :

Hamburg v Fulham

Liverpool v Atletico Madrid

Theres a prospect of an all English Final but I feel this is as far as Fulham go - as much as I'd love them to win this trophy. This is as far as Fulham have ever been in their history but Liverpool's history is altogether different and they know what to do in these circumstances - providing Torres and Gerrard are fit and play. Their record in Europe is second to only maybe Real Madrid and AC Milan. 5 times European cup/Champions League winners and 3 times Uefa cup winners plus the Uefa super cup 3 times

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Whatever will be will be were going to wemberly...

What a game. That was exciting. Well done you Blues.

BBC Sport - Football - Live - Sunday football

The stadium sound system pumped out a very triumphant version of Mike Oldfield's tune at the end, too.

Avram Grant, he's the man.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Would you believe it.

Relegated on a Saturday afternoon and in the FA cup final on the Sunday.

You couldnt make it up.

Good game to boot

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

It's going to be the most one-sided Cup Final in living memory, nigh on. Talk about underdogs...
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1303110 wrote: It's going to be the most one-sided Cup Final in living memory, nigh on. Talk about underdogs...

Possibly. Everybody thought Tottenham would win easily but the FA cup is a good leveller. The history of the FA Cup is strewn with the carcasses of giant killers' victims ( just ask Celtic. Ross county beat them in the Scottish FA cup. )

Portsmouth have absolutely nothing to lose and that sometiomes makes for a formidable apponent

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Portsmouth vs Chelsea...:thinking:

Perhaps Portsmouth will fight...:thinking:...Oh dear!...:wah:

Anyway, England will match up against Mexico and I will be particularly interested in seeing how they do against our forever rival

PS: Their fans like to throw beer and anything else they happen to have stole! :yh_rotfl I KID! I KID! :thinking: Although they do throw things...

http://england.worldcupblog.org/world-c ... japan.html

http://www.ticket4football.com/exclusiv ... ckets.aspx
spot

Post by spot »

What puzzled me most was the way players kept slipping and sliding on the pitch today. Either studs have been banned at Wembley or someone's spread a few barrels of lard out there for a joke.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1303152 wrote: What puzzled me most was the way players kept slipping and sliding on the pitch today. Either studs have been banned at Wembley or someone's spread a few barrels of lard out there for a joke.

Well that beats a big, heaping, steaming, pile of brown nutted, stinking dung! :thinking: Or wait did Portsmouth change their colors?

:yh_rotfl I KID! I KID!

:thinking: Actually I walked off our pitch today after my team won 3-2 and walked passed a rather big, heaping, pile of black(Whatever it was it had obviously dried out significantly) something or other. The way current child trends are I'd be willing to suggest the market has developed a particularly ironic choice of dog food.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Anyone feel Chelsea will hold on to the title?

Anyone feel Liverpool will remain below 6th position in the end, or will they fight back, in a 4 way show, to get a 4th spot finish?

BTW, I scored my first two goals ever in a 4-3 win today in my local league. My first goal was a poaching goal that fell short two feet from the line after being deflected off of a defender and my other one was off of a BRILLIANT!!!! through ball that left me one on one with the goalie and I slotted it in the bottom left corner after a touch.

I'm very much enjoying it. I'm getting a cardio workout, that is much more exciting than running around my neighborhood, as well as meeting new people and playing a sport I've fallen in LOVE!!!! with.

Anyone else playing in a league? It's good for you!
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1305731 wrote: Anyone feel Chelsea will hold on to the title?

Anyone feel Liverpool will remain below 6th position in the end, or will they fight back, in a 4 way show, to get a 4th spot finish?

BTW, I scored my first two goals ever in a 4-3 win today in my local league. My first goal was a poaching goal that fell short two feet from the line after being deflected off of a defender and my other one was off of a BRILLIANT!!!! through ball that left me one on one with the goalie and I slotted it in the bottom left corner after a touch.

I'm very much enjoying it. I'm getting a cardio workout, that is much more exciting than running around my neighborhood, as well as meeting new people and playing a sport I've fallen in LOVE!!!! with.

Anyone else playing in a league? It's good for you!

Well I fancy us (Chelsea ) to beat liverpool and win the Premiership - we stuck 7 past Stoke this afternoon. Its good for the neutral that its going down to the wire. I hope Spurs get the 4th place and would love to see Liverpool miss out on 6th

Glad to hear your enjoying yourself on the pitch. Nothing like scoring a goal eh ? Even the easy ones count so make the most of them. I take it you are no longer playing centre half then K, judging by your forward play and prolific goal scoring ? :D

I havent played for years. Not built for it at my age. Too much to carry around. My knees couldnt take the strain. My friend and work colleague runs and coaches a club and at this time of year there is often a back log of games to catch up on, due to weather etc. He's 52 and had to turn out for two whole matches in one day last Sunday because of player shortages. He is built like whippet though and still picked me up for work at 5.45 on monday morning with only a few groans

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1305734 wrote: Well I fancy us (Chelsea ) to beat liverpool and win the Premiership - we stuck 7 past Stoke this afternoon. Its good for the neutral that its going down to the wire. I hope Spurs get the 4th place and would love to see Liverpool miss out on 6th

Glad to hear your enjoying yourself on the pitch. Nothing like scoring a goal eh ? Even the easy ones count so make the most of them. I take it you are no longer playing centre half then K, judging by your forward play and prolific goal scoring ? :D

I havent played for years. Not built for it at my age. Too much to carry around. My knees couldnt take the strain. My friend and work colleague runs and coaches a club and at this time of year there is often a back log of games to catch up on, due to weather etc. He's 52 and had to turn out for two whole matches in one day last Sunday because of player shortages. He is built like whippet though and still picked me up for work at 5.45 on monday morning with only a few groans

Yeah, I'm actually playing striker and will from time to time fill in the midfield when needed. Our first game was just a little lack of communication.

But, yes, I'm enjoying it very much and have threatened quite alot.

Perhaps you could do a bit of refereeing. Maybe volunteer to coach a youth club. I know people get busy but I also know that exercise is the single greatest weapon we have against death my friend :yh_wink

Far better than ANY damn "medicine"
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1305741 wrote: Yeah, I'm actually playing striker and will from time to time fill in the midfield when needed. Our first game was just a little lack of communication.

But, yes, I'm enjoying it very much and have threatened quite alot.

Perhaps you could do a bit of refereeing. Maybe volunteer to coach a youth club. I know people get busy but I also know that exercise is the single greatest weapon we have against death my friend :yh_wink

Far better than ANY damn "medicine"

Well as much as I love football, refereeing is the most hated thig I could do. I love to be loved at my age :wah: Dont get me wrong. I'm fit. I'm just a big bloke and I'm not built for running anymore.

I'm just a mountain of muscle and sinew :D

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1305751 wrote: Well as much as I love football, refereeing is the most hated thig I could do. I love to be loved at my age :wah: Dont get me wrong. I'm fit. I'm just a big bloke and I'm not built for running anymore.

I'm just a mountain of muscle and sinew :D

Oh I see...Perhaps Sumo? :wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Oh My Beloved Fulham FC you've made me Proud! :yh_wink

Hodgson's History Makers

Friday 30th April 2010

Fulham FC News Powered by LG Electronics

Roy HodgsonRoy Hodgson was greeted with a round of applause when he entered the post-match press conference after Fulham’s historic win over Hamburg at Craven Cottage.

Read more: Hodgson's History Makers

COYW!!!!!
Barman

Post by Barman »

Incredible, well done Fulham, i really hope you can beat Atletico in the final.:-6
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Fantastic result. Thoroughly deserved and I hope Fulham get the trophy they deserve. Hodgson must be Manager of the season

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Barman;1306821 wrote: Incredible, well done Fulham, i really hope you can beat Atletico in the final.:-6

I do too. Even though our fate is sealed around a 10-12 place finish in the Prem I think this result in the Europa League makes an extreme statement about Fulham's work ethic and passion to play. Winning the Europa League would be the most memorable achievement produced by the club. Well at least the eyes that sit within my head! :yh_wink
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1306865 wrote: Fantastic result. Thoroughly deserved and I hope Fulham get the trophy they deserve. Hodgson must be Manager of the season

Yes, indeed!

I'd watched Sky sports news and I think the general word is that Hodgson will receive the award and I think earning a place in the final of the Europa League is what finalized it.

Hodgson is by far an excellent manager but I fear his success with Fulham may take him back to a powerhouse club. :-1
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

From escaping relegation by the brim of their teeth to the 2010 Europa League Final, I'm amazed

YouTube - Fulham v Hamburg post match celebrations

I'd said it before and I'll say it again. How can anyone not fall in Love with me Fulham FC!?!?!?!? :yh_bigsmi :yh_wink
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Big game for Chelsea this afternoon at Anfield. A must win game. We cant rely on Man Utd dropping any points in their last two games so we must win both of ours to lift the Prem trophy

Flying high, up in the sky,

We'll keep the blue flag flying high

From Stamford Bridge to Wemb(er)ley

We'll keep the blue flag flying high

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Liverpool 0-2 Chelsea

One hand on the Premiership title

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Chelsea look determined.

Fulham is up 1-0 over West Ham atm thanks to a Dempsey goal moments before the half time whistle.

COYW!!!!!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fulham 3-2 West Ham

I'd said it before and I'll say it again. How can anyone not fall in Love with me Fulham FC!?!?!?!? :yh_bigsmi :yh_wink :yh_wink :wah:

:yh_kiss<-----For The Ladies!!!!! :yh_wink :yh_wink
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Well, Congrats to Tottenham and their supporters!

Very good season...

I'd also like to mention Stoke's absolutely astonishing season. They've had some fantastic results this year.

Also, Fulham will be playing in the Europa League only 3 days after they play their last game of the Prem against Arsenal. I'm certain Hodgeson will rest his starters...

Anyone pleased/disappointed with their team's efforts this season?(I do realize everyone has a game yet to play and the table is all but sealed, but none the less I've been very busy over the past few months)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Chelsea takes the title...

What in the world happened in the Tottenham game? They were leading 2-0 at half I think I'd seen(Against Burnley ffs!)...

Anyway,..the Prem winds out...

Any thoughts?

Fulham play in the Europa League Final against Atletico Madrid Wednesday at 2:45PM (EST time) I think that is 7:45 UK time...I'm sure all of the English will be cheering Fulham on to represent the Premier League

Everyone ready for the World Cup!?!?!??!!?!
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Chelsea 8 (eight) - 0 Wigan

Nip and tuck there for a while but we got through in the end..... :yh_rotfl

Wigan actually had a fair amount of possesion in the first half but did little with it by the time they got to the 18 yard box. Once they went down to 10 men it was always gonna be damage limitation for them. Drogba spat his dummy out when he wasnt given the ball to take the penalty but soon calmed down to score a brace of good goals

The only place to be

Every other Saturday

Is strolling down the Fulham Road

Meet your mates and have a drink

Have a moan and start to think

Will there ever be a blue tomorrow?

We've waited so long

But we'd wait for ever

Our blood is blue and

We would leave you never

And when we make it

It'll be together, oh oh oh

Chelsea, Chelsea

We're gonna make this a Blue Day

Chelsea, Chelsea

We've got some memories

Albeit from the Seventies when

Ossie and co. restored our pride

Now we've got hope, it's not a dream

We'll keep the Blue Flag flying high

We've waited so long

But we'd wait for ever

Our blood is blue and

We would leave you never

And when we make it

It'll be together, oh oh oh

Chelsea, Chelsea

Chelsea, Chelsea

Now even Heaven

Is blue today, you should

Hear the Chelsea roar

Hear the Chelsea roar...

Winston Churchill
abbey

Post by abbey »

:yh_cry....

Well Done! :yh_clap
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Never mind Abs. You cant keep it forever . You've had it for long enough and now its our turn :D

Winston Churchill
abbey

Post by abbey »

It was bloody frustrating at the match today winning but losing.

We'll be back. :-6
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Thought this would be cool...

Here are the timezones associated with the upcoming World Cup in South Africa...

I thought about it more and realized I could possibly have to work during the USA games and had a bit of a panic attack!

The game against England falls on a Saturday thankfully and more likely than not I won't be working...

2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa Interactive Time Map - 11 June and 11 July 2010 in South Africa
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

U.S. to Face Australia on June 5 in Roodepoort, South Africa

CHICAGO (March 15, 2010) — The United States will play Australia on June 5 in Roodepoort, South Africa, one week before playing its first match of the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Kickoff at Ruimsig Stadium in suburban Johannesburg is set for 2:30 p.m. local time (8:30 a.m. ET), and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN2. Fans can also follow along live on ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker and at twitter.com/ussoccer. U.S. to Face Australia on June 5 in Roodepoort, South Africa - U.S. Soccer

Will any Aussies be watching the World Cup South Africa?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Forlán double gives Atlético glory

Published: Wednesday 12 May 2010, 22.30CET

Club Atlético de Madrid 2-1 Fulham FC (aet)

Diego Forlán struck twice, the second four minutes from the end of extra time, to decide the first UEFA Europa League final. UEFA.com - UEFA Europa League 2010 - Atlético-Fulham

Allow me a moment to think of the words that may better express my feelings...

Firstly, I think playing Zamora fresh from injury was an atrocious decision. He's done spectacular for us this season and I know he badgered the hell out of Hodgeson to play him and Hodgeson perhaps gave in.

Fulham were a nervous wreck from the start until the first goal when they were smacked back to reality. They played pretty well from then on with periods of our back line looking utterly confused.

Forlán and Agüero was a thorn in Fulham's side all game.

My hat goes to Fulham for an impressive run in the Europa League. I only wish the team selection was a bit more appropriate given the injuries...Sure they are all good players but being away from playing with each other even for a stretch of two games is enough to throw off the chemistry and such was blatantly the case

Good job to Fulham for the season they did very well.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

The bids for the 2018 - 2022 World Cups have been submitted.

Any predictions?

I think England is due and with the 2014 World Cup being held in Brazil I think a European country has the best chances thus far. I sincerely doubt the US will get a bid before England seeing as how we just had one in '94.

Anyone think England will get it in 2018? If not I would say almost assuredly in 2022

USA Bid Committee Submits Official Bid Book to Host 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cup in United States

A delegation from the USA Bid Committee submitted the official Unites States Bid Book to host the 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cupâ„¢ in a formal ceremony at FIFA headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland today.

May 14, 2010

NEW YORK (May 14, 2010) – A delegation from the USA Bid Committee submitted the official United States Bid Book to host the 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cup™ in a formal ceremony at FIFA headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland, today. USA Bid Committee Submits Official Bid Book to Host 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cup in United States - U.S. Soccer

Return to “Wide World of Sports”