Do I have to apologize?

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
gardener

Do I have to apologize?

Post by gardener »

Yes, i just came here a few days ago and trying to learn to post a thread. What I have posted is something I have found on the web. Is it ok to do like what I have done?

The Chinese government says Falun gong is a cult, many poeple practising falun gong committed cuicide -- they hanged themselves or burn themselves. And falun gong was banned more than 10 years ago because the government said it was anti-humanity. But there are still some people practising it both in china and outside China. They acted just like abnormal people because they think that they don’t need to seek medical treatment when they are ill. That is what I learn about falun gong.

I know it is free to discuss any topic in the forum, can’t we talk the topic about politics? Or the topic is not appropriate to talk here? If I have made some mistakes, please feel free to tell me. I will be glad to meet the requirement.

Thanks for your kind help.

:confused:
spot

Do I have to apologize?

Post by spot »

Your problem is that you joined ForumGarden with the sole purpose of raising Falun Gong as a topic. That puts you into a category of Propagandist. Nobody here pays much attention to single-issue posters who show up trying to spread a message. People here establish credentials and goodwill by joining in and getting known. Then, after that, if they want to express an opinion, other members are interested to hear what they have to say.

It may be that you're, as you claim, critical of Falun Gong. It may be that you're a Falun Gong supporter trying to get observers like us annoyed with Falun Gong's persecutors. It's impossible to know and quite irrelevant. What matters is that you registered here, set up a box to stand on and started shouting at passers-by instead of finding out who we are.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Richard Bell

Do I have to apologize?

Post by Richard Bell »

Reminiscent of SuperPowerChina, or whatever his/her name was, who used to come by here a couple of years ago and beat the drum for the People's Republic.

I suspect these posters are probably agents of the PROC, engaged in a propaganda campaign.
spot

Do I have to apologize?

Post by spot »

Richard Bell;1306578 wrote: I suspect these posters are probably agents of the PROC, engaged in a propaganda campaign.As unlikely as TruthBringer being an associate of the Council on Foreign Relations.

I, on the other hand, may be the last information outlet of the Third International.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Saint_

Do I have to apologize?

Post by Saint_ »

The internet in a totalitarian state's hands is like giving a .357 Magnum to a retarded child.
spot

Do I have to apologize?

Post by spot »

Saint_;1306649 wrote: The internet in a totalitarian state's hands is like giving a .357 Magnum to a retarded child.

You don't like the Chinese political structure, Saint? I can't say I'm particularly surprised, US citizens have a knee-jerk salute every time Democracy and Freedom get rolled out. I dislike the notion of Democracy. I find the idea of "American Freedom" oxymoronic, firstly in that it treats the rest of the planet's inhabitants as though we were game in a safari park and secondly because the lot of the median American is pitiable. To any dispassionate analysis you live in a police state.

The notion that the governing body should consist of those best able to fawn, flatter, bribe and bamboozle an electorate composed of the majority of the country's adult population is laughable. A governing body should consist of those who pass tests and display ability over many years. The Chinese do that quite well.

As for the Internet, it's generally recognized that Chinese government sites are rather better secured than those in the West. They tend to use Open Source BSD and considerable skill at deployment.
G#Gill

Do I have to apologize?

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1306654 wrote: You don't like the Chinese political structure, Saint? I can't say I'm particularly surprised, US citizens have a knee-jerk salute every time Democracy and Freedom get rolled out. I dislike the notion of Democracy. I find the idea of "American Freedom" oxymoronic, firstly in that it treats the rest of the planet's inhabitants as though we were game in a safari park and secondly because the lot of the median American is pitiable. To any dispassionate analysis you live in a police state.

The notion that the governing body should consist of those best able to fawn, flatter, bribe and bamboozle an electorate composed of the majority of the country's adult population is laughable. A governing body should consist of those who pass tests and display ability over many years. The Chinese do that quite well.

As for the Internet, it's generally recognized that Chinese government sites are rather better secured than those in the West. They tend to use Open Source BSD and considerable skill at deployment.

Sounds like our government, spot! :yh_rotfl
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Saint_

Do I have to apologize?

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1306654 wrote: You don't like the Chinese political structure, Saint?

It's not their government I object to per se, it's their human rights record. (Although thanks to Bush and his torture polices I am now officially a hypocrite, blast his hide.)

I can't say I'm particularly surprised, US citizens have a knee-jerk salute every time Democracy and Freedom get rolled out. I dislike the notion of Democracy. I find the idea of "American Freedom" oxymoronic,

Electing the first African-American President gives me hope and at least we can get rid of bad leaders eventually.

firstly in that it treats the rest of the planet's inhabitants as though we were game in a safari park

That's more of a result of being the sole remaining hyper-power on the planet than our government's policies. Someone has to be the big guy on the block. And no, I'm not sorry we won WWII.

and secondly because the lot of the median American is pitiable. To any dispassionate analysis you live in a police state.

True, but I cable TV and videogames to distract me from that so its not so bad.

Why do their TV and movies suck so bad, then?

"Considerable skill at deployment" meaning an army of government-trained hackers Hell-bent on espionage and world domination.

No, China is pure evil. We are just lame.

(Try reading "This Perfect Day" by Ira Levin if you'd like to see the ultimate result of the way China would like to make the world. )
beowulf

Do I have to apologize?

Post by beowulf »

Saint_;1306687 wrote: , I'm not sorry we won WWII.

by 'we' do you mean America?
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

spot

Do I have to apologize?

Post by spot »

beowulf;1306710 wrote: by 'we' do you mean America?

I fear, reading the context, that he must.

If only we'd lost World War One the 20th century would have had far fewer subsequent crises.
flopstock

Do I have to apologize?

Post by flopstock »

If you feel the need to apologize to make folks happy, simply do it as a fore runner to whatever it is you really wish to say...

I'm sorry, but..... is appealing if not overused.

I'm sorry? Confused but willing to be corrected -assures the reader that you may just be misunderstanding their point.

Well, excuse the hell out of me! My personal favorite.

Personally, I see no need for you to apologize at all. We have folks here that ride the same horse in everyday, just looking for the opportunity to spout off on the same issue - no reason you should feel obligated to behave any differently simply because you are new.:-6

Welcome to the garden.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Saint_

Do I have to apologize?

Post by Saint_ »

beowulf;1306710 wrote: by 'we' do you mean America?

Of course! Just read any American textbook!

(Of course I'm just being facetious! I know how much the British suffered and fought. Patton did kick Montgomery's butt though...so there.):D
beowulf

Do I have to apologize?

Post by beowulf »

Saint_;1306714 wrote: Of course! Just read any American textbook!

(Of course I'm just being facetious! I know how much the British suffered and fought. Patton did kick Montgomery's butt though...so there.):D

not just the british.............canadian, anzac's,south africans, all four corners of the empire.............and dont forget occupied european countries like france who still fought dispite being occupied...(France lost in excess of 600,000 which is more than America lost)......oh..then theres the USSR that lost in excess of 8 million military and another 12+ million civillians killed......china lost 10 to 20 million depending on who you read

American losses on all fronts came to less than 420,000 including civilians

now you see i do have a problem with Americans (not you since you are excused for being facetious) who think they won the war singlehandled just cos they have watched Private Ryan and and the odd John Wayne film.

it was American industrial might that turned the tide in WW2, not just its military forces

Patton?........oh yeah....he was the guy who slapped and humiliated his own men in military hospitals, wasnt he ......Eisenhower nearly relieved him of duty over that

oh...and another thing .......slightly related......i have a very VERY serious problem with any American who calls the French cowards.......they are in Afghanistan fighting and dying for nothing just like the rest of us......i know they are bolshie buggers but they jst like to do things thier own way.....but they are there just like all the other nations contributing to ISAF
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

AussiePam

Do I have to apologize?

Post by AussiePam »

beowulf;1306718 wrote: not just the british.............canadian, anzac's,south africans, all four corners of the empire.............and dont forget occupied european countries like france who still fought dispite being occupied...(France lost in excess of 600,000 which is more than America lost)......oh..then theres the USSR that lost in excess of 8 million military and another 12+ million civillians killed......china lost 10 to 20 million depending on who you read

now you see i do have a problem with Americans (not you since you are excused for being facetious) who think they won the war singlehandled just cos they have watched Private Ryan and and the odd John Wayne film.

it was American industrial might that turned the tide in WW2, not just its military forces

Patton?........oh yeah....he was the guy who slapped and humiliated his own men in military hospitals, wasnt he ......Eisenhower nearly relieved him of duty over that

oh...and another thing .......slightly related......i have a very VERY serious problem with any American who calls the French cowards.......they are in Afghanistan fighting and dying for nothing just like the rest of us......i know they are bolshie buggers but they jst like to do things thier own way.....but they are there just like all the other nations contributing to ISAF

Yes!!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Saint_

Do I have to apologize?

Post by Saint_ »

beowulf;1306718 wrote:

You're mad at us because we fought better than everyone else without getting killed as much?!:D

But seriously though, I am very sensitive to your viewpoint and we both have the internet to thank for that. I actually was taught in school that America DID win WWII single-handedly (and that's pretty easy to believe if you grew up watching American war movies! To me, it seemed like Audey Murphy and John Wayne won the war by themselves!) and it wasn't until I started actually talking to Brits that I found out what a joint effort it really was.

So there's a perfect example of why the internet is a good thing sometimes.
AussiePam

Do I have to apologize?

Post by AussiePam »

Saint_;1306730 wrote: You're mad at us because we fought better than everyone else without getting killed as much?!:D

But seriously though, I am very sensitive to your viewpoint and we both have the internet to thank for that. I actually was taught in school that America DID win WWII single-handedly and it wasn't until I started actually talking to Brits that I found out what a joint effort it really was.

So there's a perfect example of why the internet is a good thing sometimes.

You had a bigger bomb.

It's good, Saint, that you are aware that there is a whole big world outside of your own country, who don't look at everything the same way you do.

Saint_

Do I have to apologize?

Post by Saint_ »

AussiePam;1306733 wrote: It's good, Saint, that you are aware that there is a whole big world outside of your own country, who don't look at everything the same way you do.

No problem, Pam. You've taught me that Australians are much more than just big, tough dudes drinking beer and barbecuing shrimp.

They are actually quite good poets!:D
beowulf

Do I have to apologize?

Post by beowulf »

Saint_;1306730 wrote: You're mad at us because we fought better than everyone else without getting killed as much?!:D

pish....its only cos you turned up late for the game, when it was half way through.........you did the same in WW1 :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

Saint_

Do I have to apologize?

Post by Saint_ »

beowulf;1306741 wrote: pish....its only cos you turned up late for the game, when it was half way through.........you did the same in WW1 :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Well that's just because it took so long to convince Alvin York to join up!
beowulf

Do I have to apologize?

Post by beowulf »

AussiePam;1306733 wrote: You had a bigger bomb.

It's good, Saint, that you are aware that there is a whole big world outside of your own country, who don't look at everything the same way you do.

thats forums for you.....those that take the time become more versed in the world

i will tell you a funny story...........i am a member of a very very big forum.....it is truely global............im good freinds with quite a few Americans on there...........two in particular are becoming quite Anglophiled in some ways...........one is fascinated with british slang or alternative words for what he is used to............its got so we brits are always giving him new words so he trys to use them in everyday speech.....he still cant get his head round how we use 'fanny' or 'fag' :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl...think he would get into trouble if he used them in chicago in the same way we do

the other guy is a mod, lives in Virginia......since hes a mod he gets to read all the threads, even those hes not really interested in.....he was telling us how he gets funny looks when he goes into work and starts talking about the Rugby World Cup or South African politics or the weather in Finland :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

Saint_

Do I have to apologize?

Post by Saint_ »

beowulf;1306746 wrote: one is fascinated with british slang or alternative words for what he is used to............i

Same thing here! I used to say, "Damn It!" or "Son of a B1tch" when I hurt myself or accidentally broke or spilled something. Now its always, 'Bloody Hell!' or "Blast It All!":wah:
AussiePam

Do I have to apologize?

Post by AussiePam »

"Rooting" is a good Aussie word, which has absolutely nothing to do with supporting a footie team!!

And XXXX here is beer.

:sneaky:

G#Gill

Do I have to apologize?

Post by G#Gill »

In the late 1950's when my hubby was in the navy (British), the ship docked at New York, and they had some shore leave. My hubby and some navy pals went to a cinema and saw a British made film called "The Sea Shall Not Have Them". My hubby had actually seen this film back in England, but thought it was worth a second viewing.

During the film there was a sequence where some sailors, in a lifeboat, were being shot at by an enemy aircraft. The Petty Officer shook his fist and shouted in what the Americans must have thought was a typical English accent - Oxford English "You infernal blackguard you !" (blaggard) which cracked my hubby up. Apparently in the original version of the film, the Petty Officer had a cockney accent and shouted "You filthy bastard!" The Americans had dubbed the revised dialogue because they did not permit the word 'bastard' in any films shown in America at that time! A lot of the Americans in the audience stared in amazement at this group of British sailors who burst out laughing at a very tense moment in the film!

Nowadays, obscenities assault our ears at very frequent intervals during films. How times have changed, and often not for the better, sadly.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Return to “The Coffee Shop”