The Problem With Intellectuals

Lon

Post by Lon »

Fredericksburg.com - The problem with intellectuals (cont'd)
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

Lon;1304690 wrote: Fredericksburg.com - The problem with intellectuals (cont'd)Sowell's writings are always interesting and thought-provoking, but since he is without question an intellectual, I guess he's part of the problem.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

There is no problem with intellectuals just like there is no problem with different races of people or whatever. The problem lies with those who feel threatened by the others.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

But there ARE problems with some races. The ones who sneak in illegally, milk the system and F***over everyone. Among "intellectuals" the ones who insist they know everything are the most troublesome. And we all know some of them.:(
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

hoppy;1305927 wrote: But there ARE problems with some races. The ones who sneak in illegally, milk the system and F***over everyone. Among "intellectuals" the ones who insist they know everything are the most troublesome. And we all know some of them.:(

Being an illegal immigrant has nothing to do with race and all to do with circumstance. If our collective boots were on the other feet you dont think the circumstances would make a different race of people become economic migrants ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Snowfire;1305929 wrote: Being an illegal immigrant has nothing to do with race and all to do with circumstance. If our collective boots were on the other feet you dont think the circumstances would make a different race of people become economic migrants ?

So, what races consistently enslave their people these days?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

No one thinks they know everything. Thats a figment of imagination. But I guess when life is viewed in terms of all or nothing, good and evil, me or you, black and white the illusion resides. Whew - I'm just glad thats not me.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Ahso!;1305936 wrote: No one thinks they know everything. Thats a figment of imagination. But I guess when life is viewed in terms of all or nothing, good and evil, me or you, black and white the illusion resides. Whew - I'm just glad thats not me.

No need to worry. We all know you don't know nothing.:yh_rotfl
Lon

Post by Lon »

This 2008 Poll that was taken shows what is thought to be the 100 top intellectuals still living-------------Al Gore???? Do you recognize any and what major impact have they made?

Top 100 Public Intellectuals Poll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
albertpollard

Post by albertpollard »

Among "intellectuals" the ones who insist they know everything are the most troublesome. And we all know some of them.

Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do! :yh_rotfl
NEWS FLASH! The Universe is God's Petri Dish.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1305936 wrote: No one thinks they know everything. Thats a figment of imagination. But I guess when life is viewed in terms of all or nothing, good and evil, me or you, black and white the illusion resides. Whew - I'm just glad thats not me.

I know everything!

I know what I know. and I know what I don't know.

What else is there?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I have yet to personally struggle this particular ailment.
I AM AWESOME MAN
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Well, I have no doubt I'm an upper class intellectual and I know there are no problems associated with me in any way.:p
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

Lon;1304690 wrote: Fredericksburg.com - The problem with intellectuals (cont'd)

Quote from article:

"It may seem strange that so many people of great intellect have said and done so many things whose consequences ranged from counter-productive to catastrophic. Yet it is not so surprising when we consider whether anybody has ever had the range of knowledge required to make the sweeping kinds of decisions that so many intellectuals are prone to make, especially when they pay no price for being wrong.

Intellectuals and their followers have often been overly impressed by the fact that intellectuals tend, on average, to have more knowledge than other individuals in their society. What they have overlooked is that intellectuals have far less knowledge than the total knowledge possessed by the millions of other people whom they disdain and whose decisions they seek to override."

That Bush Family sure are some lot of intellectuals too eh!?

Return to “Philosophy”