Aussie PM not amused with Robin Williams

Talk about your favorite comedians, their skits, and all things comedy.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I always thought Aussies had a great sense of humor, and could handle the crap thrown their way, pretty well.

However, Politicians may have found a way to immunize themselves from humor.

Mr Rudd was not amused by Williams' quips on the Tonight show, it seems.

Marianne Schnall: Exclusive Interview with Dr. Jane Goodall

I dunno. I was watching this show, and thought it was funny.

I spoke to a friend who is from Sidney, who agreed that Williams was funny.

Now, of course, neither of us are the type to be insulted by the term 'redneck' so that my skew our POV a tad.

So, I ask:

First for the Aussies, did you see/hear Williams' comments? If so, were you offended?

For the rest of us:

Have you been offended by comedy comments about your countrymen, or do you take it in the spirit it was intended?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

I never liked Robin Williams much.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

I love South Park's "Blame Canada" song!

OTOH, I cannot stand the sight of Robin Williams. He's a sadly unfunny man who demands attention by acting like a hyperactive child.

He's passable as a serious actor, but a disaster as a comedian.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

The British are pretty much used to being Insulted. The Irish are known as the Paddy's, the Scots, The Jocks and the Welsh, Sheep Shaggers. Folk from the West Country of England are some-times refered to as Carrot Crunchers or Turnip Bashers while Norfolk Folk In the East get called Folk with 6 fingers.

We seem to take It all In a days work here. We have many alternative comedians on satirical shows who really do Insult their fellow Countrymen. I suppose some take It In good humour but others could be offended.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Richard Bell;1301238 wrote: I love South Park's "Blame Canada" song!

OTOH, I cannot stand the sight of Robin Williams. He's a sadly unfunny man who demands attention by acting like a hyperactive child.

He's passable as a serious actor, but a disaster as a comedian.

A little off topic, perhaps, but,

If I may ask, who do you think IS (or WAS) funny?

What makes you laugh?
- DH Lawrence
Lon

Post by Lon »

My all time favorite is George Carlin and then Jonathan Winters

YouTube - George Carlin - Religion is bullshit.

YouTube - Jonathan Winters As An Airline Pilot
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Apparently that up himself American twerp said we Aussies were "just English rednecks". I'm fine with the "rednecks" thang and will shoot up any road sign yous poiint out to prove it, but I'm bloody well not fine with the "English" thang. I'm an Aussie French redneck, cou rouge!! Other fair dinkum Aussies are Chinese rednecks, Greek rednecks, Syrian rednecks, Sri Lankan reb boody necks. if yall insist, but geesch... what a bunch of ignorant twats... grin. Don't think I've ever agreed with our current PM in anything else, but... :yh_rotfl. And who the fyck is this Robin bloody Wilyams anyway? He should go take a running jump right back to the good Old US of A and stay there. :sneaky:
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AussiePam;1301364 wrote: Apparently that up himself American twerp said we Aussies were "just English rednecks". I'm fine with the "rednecks" thang and will shoot up any road sign yous poiint out to prove it, but I'm bloody well not fine with the "English" thang. I'm an Aussie French redneck, cou rouge!! Other fair dinkum Aussies are Chinese rednecks, Greek rednecks, Syrian rednecks, Sri Lankan reb boody necks. if yall insist, but geesch... what a bunch of ignorant twats... grin. Don't think I've ever agreed with our current PM in anything else, but... :yh_rotfl. And who the fyck is this Robin bloody Wilyams anyway? He should go take a running jump right back to the good Old US of A and stay there. :sneaky:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

:lips:

NOW I see the problem!!!
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Post by Odie »

LarsMac;1301236 wrote: I always thought Aussies had a great sense of humor, and could handle the crap thrown their way, pretty well.

However, Politicians may have found a way to immunize themselves from humor.

Mr Rudd was not amused by Williams' quips on the Tonight show, it seems.

Marianne Schnall: Exclusive Interview with Dr. Jane Goodall

I dunno. I was watching this show, and thought it was funny.

I spoke to a friend who is from Sidney, who agreed that Williams was funny.

Now, of course, neither of us are the type to be insulted by the term 'redneck' so that my skew our POV a tad.

So, I ask:

First for the Aussies, did you see/hear Williams' comments? If so, were you offended?

For the rest of us:

Have you been offended by comedy comments about your countrymen, or do you take it in the spirit it was intended?

Robin Williams is tops.:-6

I take my counties snide remarks all in stride, you have to, its funny!:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Talk About Comedy”