What is your oldest possession?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

What one personal item do you own that goes back a few years, like a painting, vase, jewelery, furniture etc. Tell us about it.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Peter Lake
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

I suppose my most treasure possession Is my fathers Log Books from the War but oldest? That's hard as I do have a few antiques Including Mr O.

I have a 17th Century Japanese Tea set. I actually got It for £4 at a car boot sale, ( Yard sale). I was actually convinced that It was a Repro but I bought It simply because I liked It. It wasn't until years later when a Visitor saw It In the Cabinet, took a look at the markings on the bottom and told me It was genuine. We had It looked at and sure enough It was a Hand painted 17th Century set.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Lon

Post by Lon »

oscar;1300587 wrote: I suppose my most treasure possession Is my fathers Log Books from the War but oldest? That's hard as I do have a few antiques Including Mr O.

I have a 17th Century Japanese Tea set. I actually got It for £4 at a car boot sale, ( Yard sale). I was actually convinced that It was a Repro but I bought It simply because I liked It. It wasn't until years later when a Visitor saw It In the Cabinet, took a look at the markings on the bottom and told me It was genuine. We had It looked at and sure enough It was a Hand painted 17th Century set.

Would you sell the tea set?

Your fathers log books-------------was he navy?
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1300589 wrote: Would you sell the tea set? The truth Is, the most natural thing when finding out you have some-thing valuable Is to find out how much It's worth. I would sell the tea set TBH because I got It In a yard sale and It holds no memories or Is attached to me personally. yet, I would run Into a burning building to save my Fathers things.
Lon

Post by Lon »

oscar;1300590 wrote: The truth Is, the most natural thing when finding out you have some-thing valuable Is to find out how much It's worth. I would sell the tea set TBH because I got It In a yard sale and It holds no memories or Is attached to me personally. yet, I would run Into a burning building to save my Fathers things.

That makes complete sense about your fathers things.

How much would you take for the tea set, or how much would you sell it for?
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1300592 wrote: That makes complete sense about your fathers things.

How much would you take for the tea set, or how much would you sell it for?
I would probably put It into auction with a reserve. It was a while ago I got It so I would want another valutation First.
Lon

Post by Lon »

oscar;1300593 wrote: I would probably put It into auction with a reserve. It was a while ago I got It so I would want another valutation First.

Roadshow Archive | 17th-Century Japanese Tea Urn
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1300594 wrote: Roadshow Archive | 17th-Century Japanese Tea Urn
OMG... up to £15,000 for that one !!! Mine was valued at £2,500.
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Two items of Clarice Clift pottery.

A wash stand.

No idea how old they are but love them and won't part with them.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

The underwear I got on.:yh_sick
dandy desmond

Post by dandy desmond »

hi lon

mine but be the wife i,ve had her for 17 years :yh_rotfl

by the way totally off subject but as you,re from new zealand my post called weird fact of the day may intrest you
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Amazing what the mind does, especially the pure mind!! :sneaky: I read the thread title as "oldest profession"... sigh.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

I've got a couple of tons of Welsh anthracite, probably about 300 million years old, will that do?
minks

Post by minks »

I have my granny's old singer sewing machine, the treddle and belt kind, and I have a rinestone chocker necklace of my great granny's I don't know which is oldest.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

minks;1300671 wrote: I have my granny's old singer sewing machine, the treddle and belt kind

Ooh, I've got one of those, which was my granny's. It's in a thin plywood sort of top, with the machine fulding inside updide-down, and some drawers at the front. Not in tip-top condition.
minks

Post by minks »

Bill Sikes;1300693 wrote: Ooh, I've got one of those, which was my granny's. It's in a thin plywood sort of top, with the machine fulding inside updide-down, and some drawers at the front. Not in tip-top condition.

does the sewing machine "fold into" the stand so the cabinet/stand thing folds over the top and is flat? Mine does, mine too is not tip top shame needs to be refinished but I think when I move into my new house I will do so and show it off. I quite like it as a piece of interest.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Oscar Namechange

Imladris;1300642 wrote: Two items of Clarice Clift pottery.

A wash stand.

No idea how old they are but love them and won't part with them.
Your Clarice Is worth on average £800 to £1,000 for each Item. If They are of the rarer variety, maybe £2,500.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

We have a gorgeous mantle clock, German (8 day). It has a beautiful chime, but it does need a little attention since it refused to stop chiming one night when it struck midnight and just kept on chiming. By the time it had struck 80, my husband and I were in hysterics, both of us with tears streaming down our faces, clutching our aching sides. The funniest was when the chimes seemed to be running down and it just took a deep breath and carried on chiming back up to speed for another 20 or so chimes. I can't remember how many it actually chimed, but it was in excess of 150 chimes ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I have no idea how old it is, but maybe one day I'll try to find out. No it is not a West or East German clock. It says Germany on the back. It is in the shape of the Parthenon, and has a brass face, with two small adjusting dials top left and top right. The body is made of oak. My hubby picked it up from a little back street junk shop for £2. 10s. (10s knocked off the original price so we could buy some rentokil woodworm killer - had about 6 holes). He bought it just before we were married, so it is a bit special to us. It could be 19th Century or earlier.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

oscar;1300707 wrote: Your Clarice Is worth on average £800 to £1,000 for each Item. If They are of the rarer variety, maybe £2,500.

Took them to a charity antique evening for a valuation a few years back.

One item is a crocus jug which is quite a common design so not overly valuable apparantly but the other is a sort of dredger thingy, design not great but no real damage, the chap said then it was worth about £400, I was quite chuffed! Probably worth more now but I'm so delighted to actually own them I won't get rid of them.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Oscar Namechange

Imladris;1300887 wrote: Took them to a charity antique evening for a valuation a few years back.

One item is a crocus jug which is quite a common design so not overly valuable apparantly but the other is a sort of dredger thingy, design not great but no real damage, the chap said then it was worth about £400, I was quite chuffed! Probably worth more now but I'm so delighted to actually own them I won't get rid of them.
I do like Clarace wear especially the Art Deco line. I'm not fortunate enough to won one but I've started taking an Interest In Poole Pottery. Apparently they are going to be the antiques of the future.

Wonder how much a WW2 Pilots gas mask Is worth? :thinking:

Return to “General Chit Chat”