Artificial foot recycles energy for easier walking

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

ANN ARBOR, Mich.—An artificial foot that recycles energy otherwise wasted in between steps could make it easier for amputees to walk, its developers say.

"For amputees, what they experience when they're trying to walk normally is what I would experience if I were carrying an extra 30 pounds," said Art Kuo, professor in the University of Michigan departments of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.

Compared with conventional prosthetic feet, the new prototype device significantly cuts the energy spent per step.

Story link with pictures: Artificial foot recycles energy for easier walking

*I am posting up this article for my friend DrLeftover who for some reason was not able to post the link :-2*
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Are you pulling my leg?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Thanks for the research, jazzy. I printed it out! This is similar to the "dynamic foot" concept I've been seeing online. I hope it'll cheer up my poor sweetie, she's having a bad day today.:(
DrLeftover

Post by DrLeftover »

Saint_;1293532 wrote: Thanks for the research, jazzy. I printed it out! This is similar to the "dynamic foot" concept I've been seeing online. I hope it'll cheer up my poor sweetie, she's having a bad day today.:(

That was the object of the exercise.

Thanks Jazzy
[Signature Removed]

Return to “Science Technology Videos”