A nor'eastern is heading up coastal USA

What's the weather like today?
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Odie;1288582 wrote: oh I'm glad you have some help.

now you have dinner to do, to much!:yh_rotfl

Do you think your roads will be ploughed out by Monday?

No-there is a dent where a plow went by this morning, but with the drifts it is barely there. Lots of shoveling-I will have to bake some cookies to get kids out there. :)
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1288586 wrote: No-there is a dent where a plow went by this morning, but with the drifts it is barely there. Lots of shoveling-I will have to bake some cookies to get kids out there. :)

good.......you have another 2 days off, cool!
Life is just to short for drama.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Your pictures are great Chonsi, but your car looks like a goner...lost in space.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Here's my car and pack of my house before I cleaned off the car.

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Kathy Ellen;1288596 wrote: Here's my car and pack of my house before I cleaned off the car.

Are you going somewhere Kathy Ellen?
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

K.Snyder;1288598 wrote: Are you going somewhere Kathy Ellen?

:yh_rotfl No way Kev, but I'm afraid if I don't get rid of the snow around the car then it will freeze. I won't even bother shovelling out the drive as the snowblows will plow you back in over and over again.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

They told us on the news to start shoveling off the cars, there is a layer of ice in there that will make it very time consuming when we want them out.
Helen

Post by Helen »

ive been watching it on our news channel and im just wondering if that means we are going to get the back lash of it ................. they are already saying it will turn a lot colder over here in the middle of next week..................

anything over an inch of snow and england will come to a standstill again lol.

so i guess we better be prepared for it :rolleyes:
Peg

Post by Peg »

We only had around 10 inches here in southeastern Ohio. Went 18 1/2 hours without power. We managed pretty darn well. We're lucky enough to have a gas stove so I could cook. We boiled water and poured it through the coffee filter of the coffee pot to make coffee. A kerosene heater helped to keep us warm.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Peg;1288638 wrote: We only had around 10 inches here in southeastern Ohio. Went 18 1/2 hours without power. We managed pretty darn well. We're lucky enough to have a gas stove so I could cook. We boiled water and poured it through the coffee filter of the coffee pot to make coffee. A kerosene heater helped to keep us warm.

Oh Peg:-4

I'm so sorry that you didn't have power. That's awful. Whenever our power goes off here....I'm miserable.....no matter how much clothes I put on...I'm still freezing...the cold just goes right to my bones:(

I decided the last time that my power went off that I'm going to a local hotel that has heat, electricity, restaurant, pub and swimming pool:wah:
southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

We had the rain here. some places had 6" or more. knew it was going to give someone a real wallop this time of year.BE SAFE
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I just looked outside my back door and saw this little icicle hanging there. Hummmmmmm...wonder what other icicles are on the other side of my home...:wah: Must look tomorrow. During a snowstorm last year, I found quite a few alongside of the house that were at least 2 feet. That's not good:-3

The 2nd picture is a present for Cars....:-6 Actually both pictures are...

Peg

Post by Peg »

Kathy Ellen;1288642 wrote: Oh Peg:-4

I'm so sorry that you didn't have power. That's awful. Whenever our power goes off here....I'm miserable.....no matter how much clothes I put on...I'm still freezing...the cold just goes right to my bones:(

I decided the last time that my power went off that I'm going to a local hotel that has heat, electricity, restaurant, pub and swimming pool:wah:

I suggested a hotel, but the roads were a level 3 so you can get fined and arrested for being out. My hubby snuck to the store and the highways were not safe so we decided to stay home where we were safe and warm.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Peg;1288646 wrote: I suggested a hotel, but the roads were a level 3 so you can get fined and arrested for being out. My hubby snuck to the store and the highways were not safe so we decided to stay home where we were safe and warm.

Oh Peg,

I'm glad things turned out well.

Are the level 3 roads the side roads? WOW, you get fined if you're out on the road. Geeze, I wish that happened here as people take their cars out in the worse storms.....
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It broke the record here as the largest snowstorm in Baltimore. Been waiting for those numbers. Now we have to dig my son's truck out tomorrow and get it in the driveway-the street has one lane kind of plowed. I want the truck out before they cover it up again. Snow up to the top of the cab-phooey!

I'm glad your safe Peg, it is hardwithout electricity. My in-laws up in Pennsylvania still are without it, but have a kerosene heater too.
southern yankee

My brother lives in Dedham Mass. could not reach him today. Anyone know how much snow there??
Peg

Post by Peg »

Kathy Ellen;1288649 wrote: Oh Peg,

I'm glad things turned out well.

Are the level 3 roads the side roads? WOW, you get fined if you're out on the road. Geeze, I wish that happened here as people take their cars out in the worse storms.....
The main highway is level 3 as well as the side roads. He said the side roads were actually better than the highway.

chonsigirl;1288655 wrote: It broke the record here as the largest snowstorm in Baltimore. Been waiting for those numbers. Now we have to dig my son's truck out tomorrow and get it in the driveway-the street has one lane kind of plowed. I want the truck out before they cover it up again. Snow up to the top of the cab-phooey!

I'm glad your safe Peg, it is hardwithout electricity. My in-laws up in Pennsylvania still are without it, but have a kerosene heater too.
I think I am going to invest in another one for the downstairs just as soon as the stores have them again.

The best thing about the snowstorm and no power, my computer started working properly again all by itself. Maybe it just needed the break!
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

1/4 of the way down the driveway in the first round of shoveling, son was out there digging out the first car with me. We want that truck in the driveway by tonight.

Sure is pretty thought, once the work is done I'll post more pictures.
Peg

Post by Peg »

Peg;1288659 wrote:

The best thing about the snowstorm and no power, my computer started working properly again all by itself.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. :wah:
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Got to the end of the driveway, put the truck in-oh I forgot that was a bigger vehicle, had to dig some more.

Photo is of the road, the fireman down the street plowed it. Thank goodness he did, I got a call at five #2 daughter was taken to ER, so sick with a virus. I was able to get out of our street because that kind man plowed, the other streets were not. I will not ever forget that drive over there, on the snowy streets. Daughter is doing better and was just sent home. In bed for three days, my snow days will be put to good use now.

Attached files
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1288833 wrote: Got to the end of the driveway, put the truck in-oh I forgot that was a bigger vehicle, had to dig some more.

Photo is of the road, the fireman down the street plowed it. Thank goodness he did, I got a call at five #2 daughter was taken to ER, so sick with a virus. I was able to get out of our street because that kind man plowed, the other streets were not. I will not ever forget that drive over there, on the snowy streets. Daughter is doing better and was just sent home. In bed for three days, my snow days will be put to good use now.

Oh thank god she is okay, and thank god even more for the fireman who helped you!:-6
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

School canceled until Thursday. I have a day to dig out, before the next little old storm hits. :p

But daughter is home and looking a little better. :-4
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1288947 wrote: School canceled until Thursday. I have a day to dig out, before the next little old storm hits. :p

But daughter is home and looking a little better. :-4

sounds like you may have the whole week off.

glad she is feeling much better.:-6
southern yankee

I heard there is about 12" coming?? Is that true, hope not:-3
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, good luck to you all on that coooold East Coast. On the east side of the Atlantic it's also chilled down again - big high pressure pushing out from Scandinavia. We had snow again today, but only of the sprinkly variety.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

southern yankee;1289028 wrote: I heard there is about 12" coming?? Is that true, hope not:-3

12-18" here, starting in the afternoon. I have the morning to finish shoveling, but will probably go out for an errand or two if possible.

I keep dreaming, they will give us the week off, and Monday is a holiday too! But then our snow days will be gone, unless we are excused for some. Like, no bus could get down my road to the school across the street!

Attached files
southern yankee

chonsigirl;1289052 wrote: 12-18" here, starting in the afternoon. I have the morning to finish shoveling, but will probably go out for an errand or two if possible.

I keep dreaming, they will give us the week off, and Monday is a holiday too! But then our snow days will be gone, unless we are excused for some. Like, no bus could get down my road to the school across the street! as of now, what is your total snowfall?? i heard some places got over 3 feet. Now this summer the country will be bone dry:-5
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1289052 wrote: 12-18" here, starting in the afternoon. I have the morning to finish shoveling, but will probably go out for an errand or two if possible.

I keep dreaming, they will give us the week off, and Monday is a holiday too! But then our snow days will be gone, unless we are excused for some. Like, no bus could get down my road to the school across the street!

sounds to me like you will have Friday off.

wow, your really getting hammered Chonsi.

be careful doing all that shoveling!
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

My back is holding out. I should be in great shape for black belt testing-maybe I can do the large number of pushups now, with working out my arm muscles.:wah:

Getting ready to start shoveling again. One trip to the gym and store, since we will be trapped inside for another day.
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1289107 wrote: My back is holding out. I should be in great shape for black belt testing-maybe I can do the large number of pushups now, with working out my arm muscles.:wah:

Getting ready to start shoveling again. One trip to the gym and store, since we will be trapped inside for another day.

why aren't you using your snow blower?:confused:
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

You can't in heavy wet snow, it is too much trouble. The sides of the snow in the driveway are about 4-5'. how can you stand on that with a snow blower and get it out?:confused:

I am ready for the next round, did my chores this morning-took 3 hours to go to the gym (no laughing now, yup, I did my 10 miles on the bike and 1/2 mile on the treadmill, I'm in training!) the church office, the store and bank. I will go out to start on the last snow mound, it will take all afternoon, might take a before and after pic, but half of it I did yesterday.
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1289149 wrote: You can't in heavy wet snow, it is too much trouble. The sides of the snow in the driveway are about 4-5'. how can you stand on that with a snow blower and get it out?:confused:

I am ready for the next round, did my chores this morning-took 3 hours to go to the gym (no laughing now, yup, I did my 10 miles on the bike and 1/2 mile on the treadmill, I'm in training!) the church office, the store and bank. I will go out to start on the last snow mound, it will take all afternoon, might take a before and after pic, but half of it I did yesterday.

that's weird......mine goes through everything accept slush.

were getting some tomorrow......yipppee!:thinking:

just watch you don't overdue it.;)
southern yankee

Odie;1289166 wrote: that's weird......mine goes through everything accept slush.

were getting some tomorrow......yipppee!:thinking:

just watch you don't overdue it.;) yours is pulled by sled dogs:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1289168 wrote: yours is pulled by sled dogs:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

yup............me!:yh_rotfl
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ahhhhh Chonsi,

I was so sorry to hear about your daughter and am so happy that she's feeling better:-4

Good on ya for having a few days off. You need a bit of time to recoup:-6

I am so sick of the different reports about our snowstorms from our weather reporters. Geeze, I know that weather is hard to predict, but this is ridiculous.

During these last 2 storms they have scared us to death and even though the storms were bad...I never knew who to believe.

The reporters have especially scared us with the storm coming into the shore area today. Then when I come home I read from the weather channel that the storm is not as bad as we thought, but our local radio station said the storm will bring in 1 foot of snow....Who to believe:confused::wah:

I think that I'll just get ready for work tomorrow and go to bed early tonight. Maybe we'll have a blizzard tomorrow or maybe we'll have just a bit of snow...who knows:wah:
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Well, I'll be darned:D I just got a phone call from our school's computer system to let me know that there's no school tomorrow due to the storm arriving tonight....WOOOHOOOO. Guess the storm is coming:confused:

I'm loving it because now I can sit down for 5 hours in quiet tomorrow and grade all of my test/report papers that I collected today....for joy, for joy:p

Now we have 4 snowdays to make up in June, and that's fine. It's nice to have extra time now to catch up on school work. June is a lovely time as the days are long so you can work and play and not worry about the sun going down at 4:30 P.M :(
southern yankee

Kathy Ellen;1289217 wrote: Well, I'll be darned:D I just got a phone call from our school's computer system to let me know that there's no school tomorrow due to the storm arriving tonight....WOOOHOOOO. Guess the storm is coming:confused:

I'm loving it because now I can sit down for 5 hours in quiet tomorrow and grade all of my test/report papers that I collected today....for joy, for joy:p

Now we have 4 snowdays to make up in June, and that's fine. It's nice to have extra time now to catch up on school work. June is a lovely time as the days are long so you can work and play and not worry about the sun going down at 4:30 P.M :( did ya give the little darlings, a ton of homework:sneaky:
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, snow days again Kathy. I feel sad you have to make them up, we will hear the decision probably next week.

I figured out how much snow I moved today, to get my daughter's car out. 3 1/2 tons! Like, no wonder my back hurts some. And somebody told me today I was sitting around doing 'nuttin for the day, since it is a snow day. (it wasn't the kids) :rolleyes:
Peg

Post by Peg »

It's snowing here again. :-1
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1289224 wrote: Oh, snow days again Kathy. I feel sad you have to make them up, we will hear the decision probably next week.

I figured out how much snow I moved today, to get my daughter's car out. 3 1/2 tons! Like, no wonder my back hurts some. And somebody told me today I was sitting around doing 'nuttin for the day, since it is a snow day. (it wasn't the kids) :rolleyes:

I warned you to pace yourself.

why aren't the kids doing they're own cars and helping you out?:-5
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

One was at work, and I won't let my daughter go out, she is better but only started eating today. She has to work tomorrow. :-1

But she shoveled when I went to the gym! Sneaky girl.

My son helped me dig out his truck in the background, it left about 12' x 9' x 5' of snow to clear off my daughters car, took 2 days. (photo before the snow plow went through once, and piled it up high!)

And yup, it is snowing here too.

Attached files
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1289233 wrote: One was at work, and I won't let my daughter go out, she is better but only started eating today. She has to work tomorrow. :-1

But she shoveled when I went to the gym! Sneaky girl.

My son helped me dig out his truck in the background, it left about 12' x 9' x 5' of snow to clear off my daughters car, took 2 days.

And yup, it is snowing here too.

oh sorry I had nooooo idea she was still sick.:(

you need a ton of hot baths and Epsom salts and a heating pad for your back.:-4
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Kathy Ellen;1289217 wrote: Well, I'll be darned:D I just got a phone call from our school's computer system to let me know that there's no school tomorrow due to the storm arriving tonight....WOOOHOOOO. Guess the storm is coming:confused:

Now we have 4 snowdays to make up in June, and that's fine. It's nice to have extra time now to catch up on school work. June is a lovely time as the days are long so you can work and play and not worry about the sun going down at 4:30 P.M :(

((((Kathy)))) - do take care, and you too, Chonsi!!! The weather forecasts for the Eastern US are frightening!!! Global warming this is not!!! We're getting only a moderate amount of snow in Colorado, but the skiing is great... :sneaky:

Pity, Kathy, you have to make up those days!!!

Chonsi - I hope your daughter is fully recovered very soon.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;1289239 wrote: ((((Kathy)))) - do take care, and you too, Chonsi!!! The weather forecasts for the Eastern US are frightening!!! Global warming this is not!!! We're getting only a moderate amount of snow in Colorado, but the skiing is great... :sneaky:

Pity, Kathy, you have to make up those days!!!

Chonsi - I hope your daughter is fully recovered very soon.

Hello my friend (((((Pam))))).

Stay safe and have tons of fun in Colorado skiing to your heart's delight...You lucky girl you:-4 You deserve the best Pam and hope that you're having a spectacular time. Are you taking some pictures of yourself at the resort you're staying at that you can post here?:-6

Yes, we have to make up the days in June. Our contract, with our Board of Education, states that we will work 180 days and any days missed will be made up at the end of the year. And that's all good. It's good to have some time off now:D

~~~~~~~Ahhhh, I just looked out my window and saw that the snow has begun to fall. Guess the storm is a comin...:D

This is one of my favorite poems from my childhood. I was about 8 years old, and my Mom and I were taking a walk together late at night.

Suddenly, it began to snow for the 1st time that winter, and here I was alone with my Mom...no brothers around, just walking, chatting about life as girls always do, and hearing and savoring the 'silent' crunching of snow beneath our feet. This was a treasured moment with my Mom:-4

Velvet Shoes

Let us walk in the white snow

In a soundless space;

With footsteps quiet and slow,

At a tranquil pace,

Under veils of white lace.

I shall go shod in silk,

And you in wool,

White as white cow's milk,

More beautiful

Than the breast of a gull.

We shall walk through the still town

In a windless peace;

We shall step upon white down,

Upon silver fleece,

Upon softer than these.

We shall walk in velvet shoes:

Wherever we go

Silence will fall like dews

On white silence below.

We shall walk in the snow.

Elinor Wylie

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Ski a run for me, Pam!:-6

It is snowing again, freezing rain all night, the layers are all coming back where I shoveled and snow blowed in the beginning. :(

My critters and husband are happy happy I am home for lots of attention.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh, I bet they love having you home Chonsi. It's nice to have some time off, isn't it:-6

Right now we are having freezing rain that will turn to all heavy snow later on this afternoon. We might have near a foot. We're supposed to have blizzard conditions.

Thank you for posting all of your pics. They're just great;)

Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1289326 wrote: Ski a run for me, Pam!:-6

It is snowing again, freezing rain all night, the layers are all coming back where I shoveled and snow blowed in the beginning. :(

My critters and husband are happy happy I am home for lots of attention.

You must be so exhausted, it must seem like its never going to end.

I'll bet your husband and critters are glad mom is home this week.:D
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Are you watching the gorillas today Chonsi?

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, I've been watching them in between some shoveling and writing. :)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Well, I braved walking up to the beach today, but couldn't cross over the build up of sand dunes which were up to 6 feet or so. Some parts were solid and other areas had pockets of snow not sand. I stopped trying to get across when my leg fell through and the snow was way passed my knee.:wah:

The 3rd and 4th pictures show some of the ocean....

Here's some pictures of the 'white out' on the beach area....

Return to “Weather Station”