FG Poll... Love or Hate word games?

A forum created specifically for polls.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I often log onto FG very late at night If I can't sleep and often find page one of FG taken up by word games such as 'Words ending in D'.

Like many members, I find the easiest way to see If any member has posted after myself on a thread, Is to click on 'Today's Posts'. Yet, very often, I then have to go Into every catagory to find my thread.

I am just curious as to what the feeling on word games Is here.

It's an anonymous poll so vote away.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

I ignore them.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

They serve no purpose, IMO.:(
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I don't care for them so don't bother clicking them, you can always find your own posts via your own statistics.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

:confused:hoppy;1285676 wrote: They serve no purpose, IMO.:( I'm In agreement with you Your Hoppiness.

If you were to enter 'Very long words ending in ING' into your search engine, Immediately, an extremely long list would appear that you could take your pick from. You can google the words for any of the word games, be them beginning with A or ending in Z. It is far too easy to cheat by googling and for that reason I do not believe they actually show a true reflection of the posters Intelligence. I mean that with no dis-respect to any-one here, It just seems pointless when all the words are seconds away on google.

I belong to another forum and was dismayed to find the entire page taken up with word games from anew member that were all carbon copies from Forum garden. What is the point of that? :confused:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Peg

Post by Peg »

I don't care for word games any more, but I think they should be here because there are people who enjoy them.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Peg;1285683 wrote: I don't care for word games any more, but I think they should be here because there are people who enjoy them.I agree with you, Peg. Though I wish there was a way or willingness to put them in their own place like the arcade. Sometimes I get the impression they are intentionally used to bury threads.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I hit one every now and then when one first starts then get bored and ignore them. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

minks

Post by minks »

I don't like them

in my opinion it would be nice to see them in just one place then you can expand them from one single place... ie we open FG there is a "folder" or general thread where they all live and once you click that one thread they expand from there.

But that's just me.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

;)I like that idea Minks I will pass it on to TS.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Oscar Namechange

Ahso!;1285685 wrote: I agree with you, Peg. Though I wish there was a way or willingness to put them in their own place like the arcade. Sometimes I get the impression they are intentionally used to bury threads. I actually agree with you that they 'could' be used to bury threads. It Is actually a good Idea to stick them all Into one catagory and maybe that Is something TS can do for the future should the demand be there. This Is why I posted the poll... to see for myself how many people want them just out of Interest.

What springs to my mind Is If a prospective new member to Forum Garden were to browse one evening and see nothing but word games with the topical threads buried, It could put them off registering.

This happened to me when some-one here suggested another forum. I went In as a guest to have a look and saw nothing but each and every same word game as on Forum Garden posted by the same people and the same answers.

As I said in my opening post, the other forum I am on suddenly found themselves with 15 word games burying topical threads one evening. Thankfully, the site owner removed the lot and put them all together.
minks

Post by minks »

oscar;1285717 wrote: I actually agree with you that they 'could' be used to bury threads. It Is actually a good Idea to stick them all Into one catagory and maybe that Is something TS can do for the future should the demand be there. This Is why I posted the poll... to see for myself how many people want them just out of Interest.

What springs to my mind Is If a prospective new member to Forum Garden were to browse one evening and see nothing but word games with the topical threads buried, It could put them off registering.

This happened to me when some-one here suggested another forum. I went In as a guest to have a look and saw nothing but each and every same word game as on Forum Garden posted by the same people and the same answers.

As I said in my opening post, the other forum I am on suddenly found themselves with 15 word games burying topical threads one evening. Thankfully, the site owner removed the lot and put them all together.

See Carla's response.... Thanks Carla.

Good Point to Oscar about some threads getting bumped way off the radar when our gamers get playing. :)

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1285656 wrote: I often log onto FG very late at night If I can't sleep and often find page one of FG taken up by word games such as 'Words ending in D'.

Like many members, I find the easiest way to see If any member has posted after myself on a thread, Is to click on 'Today's Posts'. Yet, very often, I then have to go Into every catagory to find my thread.

Here you are Oscar, you'll love this. Frank wouldn't dream of letting anyone put word games on any site he controls...

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/gener ... post459163
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1285656 wrote: I often log onto FG very late at night If I can't sleep and often find page one of FG taken up by word games such as 'Words ending in D'.

It's an anonymous poll so vote away.

Click on Forums, page down to Just For the Fun of It, double click on the square next to Word Games and then use New Posts to see your unread threads.

Saves a lot of aggravation.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Myself and others here, just love them!:guitarist

They're educational to do, some make you think and that's all part of growing & keeping our minds alive.

All forums have them, its very easy to get back to where you were, I've never had any problems when others has posted word games.
Life is just to short for drama.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

spot;1285737 wrote: Here you are Oscar, you'll love this. Frank wouldn't dream of letting anyone put word games on any site he controls...

:wah::wah::wah:
Barman

Post by Barman »

Dont .... either way, some enjoy them so let .... have em.

Fill in the missing words.:D
Odie

Post by Odie »

Barman;1285760 wrote: Dont .... either way, some enjoy them so let .... have em.

Fill in the missing words.:D

hey how is your back and Puddles doing?

words that start with P

Puddles.

yeahhhhhhhhhh!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1285656 wrote: Like many members, I find the easiest way to see If any member has posted after myself on a thread, Is to click on 'Today's Posts'. Yet, very often, I then have to go Into every catagory to find my thread.

Click on "My Replies" instead. That limits the threads to just those you've ever participated in and eliminates every other thread on the site.

For each thread shown, if it's in bold it has posts you've never seen. It will also have a butterfly preceding the title. Clicking that takes you to the oldest unseen post.

If the "last post" shown isn't "oscar", someone's posted since you did.

The list is limited by the system settings to the last 500 threads you've posted on.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Neither.

They do seem a good way of bumping up your post count if you're that way inclined.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

It would be nice if forum software creators could create a preference to either include or hide forums. This way when a member hit "Today's Posts" only those forums they prefer would show.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Barman

Post by Barman »

Odie;1285762 wrote: hey how is your back and Puddles doing?

words that start with P

Puddles.

yeahhhhhhhhhh!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Back is still a pain, i suppose it takes longer to heal once you reach 50.:)

Puddles is a little dream, we have a lot of fun with her.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Barman;1285785 wrote: Back is still a pain, i suppose it takes longer to heal once you reach 50.:)

Puddles is a little dream, we have a lot of fun with her.

It does, is it back muscles?

I'm glad your enjoying her so much, do you have any new pics?
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1285784 wrote: It would be nice if forum software creators could create a preference to either include or hide forums. This way when a member hit "Today's Posts" only those forums they prefer would show.

Wildcat did that.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1285790 wrote: Wildcat did that.Wildcat? What is Wildcat?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
minks

Post by minks »

Betty Boop;1285777 wrote: Neither.

They do seem a good way of bumping up your post count if you're that way inclined.

ooo is that how ya do it ahahahahaha

― Mae West
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I make my count the old fashioned way: I uuurrnn it.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

AussiePam;1285796 wrote: I can't imagine anyone actually learning anything from a thread entitled "Words ending in -ing", but each to his own. I guess it might be mindlessly relaxing, sort of like knitting. (I can't knit, so if it's actually endlessly fulfilling, sorry).

It's an excellent suggestion to hive the threads off the Today's Posts page altogether. Or have a mechanism to collapse the whole area.

I thought we'd agreed it's not quite cricket to bring other Forums into this one, but golly gosh if Spot can do it, it must now be kosher again. Frank's site allows any poster to shut away a whole section. Frinstance, those who are allergic to religion, can make that area just go right away. Ditto conspiracy theory topics, politics even. Very nice not to wake up to what's wrong with Mr Brown or Mr Obama or the latest on big brother is out to get us.But then you'll die and never know why or when.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

minks;1285793 wrote: ooo is that how ya do it ahahahahaha

Of course! Have you seen how BIG my post count is lately :D
Odie

Post by Odie »

minks;1285793 wrote: ooo is that how ya do it ahahahahaha

so that's why you have so many!:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1285752 wrote: Myself and others here, just love them!:guitarist

They're educational to do, some make you think and that's all part of growing & keeping our minds alive.

All forums have them, its very easy to get back to where you were, I've never had any problems when others has posted word games.
They are not educational though are they?

You are the one who posts the word game threads on Forum garden, you post on the EA Forum where you post the exact same threads and answers and this week, you filled up the whole of 24hour forums with them. How can they be educational If you are taking replies that other posters here have posted, copied them and then posted the word onto the exact same thread on two other forums? I believe that's Plagiarism? How can anything be a fair game when any-one can google lists and lists at a click on the net? As I said earlier, It does not reflect one's Intelligence when all the answers arer available at a click on google.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Betty Boop;1285801 wrote: Of course! Have you seen how BIG my post count is lately :D

I have never understood the big thing about postcount anyway:confused:is ther a prize?:thinking::wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1285737 wrote: Here you are Oscar, you'll love this. Frank wouldn't dream of letting anyone put word games on any site he controls...

Frank merely gathered the very large number of new word game threads all by the same new member who does not contribute to any other posts on 24hour and put them together so the new member can continue to play on their own. He did not delete them which frankly, I would have done. It was a little like waking up one morning and finding you had been Invaded. The poster of all these new word games could have shown a little curtesy and posted one or two Instead of 15 or so that buried every other thread and current Affairs. If people want word games, they can very quickly find many forums that are for word game addicts.

Don't get me wrong... Every-one has different tastes and are entitled to posts threads of Interest to them personally on any forum. However, when the poster of those word games whinged and moaned about threads on Gordon Brown or the BNP, It is some-what hypocritical.

For the record, I fink Frank Utterly charming on 24hour. :p
Oscar Namechange

I agree Pam.

The truth Is, even if you see a lovely new long word on a thread 'words ending in D' for example, you can google It to find It's meaning. However, I would bet any amount of money, that person would not be able to remember It let alone spell It the next morning.

Bit like a Goldfish really.
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1285792 wrote: Wildcat? What is Wildcat?

If you get as far as screen 3 of BBSmates - Remember This? you'll find a Wildcat BBS mentioned. It's a late 80s early 90s dial-up server running on a 386 or 486 which allowed asynchronous interconnection to non-Internet national Bulletin Board backbones, when 0.0024 Mbit/s connections were considered state of the art speedsters.

Test 1: What was the fastest you could pick up a 10 Megabyte photo over that modem, given a perfect non-crackly connection with no line splitting by the phone company?

Test 2: What was a 386 or 486?
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

kazalala;1285822 wrote: I have never understood the big thing about postcount anyway:confused:is ther a prize?:thinking::wah:

Not that I can see, just a sense of inner-pride about the quantity at a guess, no idea as personally I prefer quality ;)
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I used to really try to boost my post count, but that was in the very beginning of FG when everyone was about equal and you had a chance to be on the top on any given day.

After I got banned, I lost around 4,000 posts (I think) and had to start over again, but I found out something strange... I really didn't care anymore! :)

As to word games, I like really creative games, but the "word ends in _______" games are too boring for me.:o
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Saint_;1285851 wrote: I used to really try to boost my post count, but that was in the very beginning of FG when everyone was about equal and you had a chance to be on the top on any given day.

After I got banned, I lost around 4,000 posts (I think) and had to start over again, but I found out something strange... I really didn't care anymore! :)

As to word games, I like really creative games, but the "word ends in _______" games are too boring for me.:o

Why did you try to boost your postcount?? I just dont get the reasoning? also i just looked at mine ,, quite low for how long i been here i think :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

kazalala;1285853 wrote: Why did you try to boost your postcount?? I just dont get the reasoning? also i just looked at mine ,, quite low for how long i been here i think :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Yeah, dumb huh? Well in those days, there were always threads like "Lady Cop breaks 2000 posts!" and everyone would congratulate those people. We all kind felt both left out and competitive to try and get our own 'congrats on post count" thread.

Yeah... I know.... juvenile.:o
theia

Post by theia »

When I first joined FG some years ago I found the word games a good way of increasing my confidence; I didn't know anyone and I was quite nervous about responding to other threads but I felt comfortable with word games...then I "met" Betty and Acc on the Hitchhikers Guide thread and well, the rest is history :-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

theia;1285864 wrote: When I first joined FG some years ago I found the word games a good way of increasing my confidence; I didn't know anyone and I was quite nervous about responding to other threads but I felt comfortable with word games...then I "met" Betty and Acc on the Hitchhikers Guide thread and well, the rest is history :-6That's an excellent point, I didn't think of that.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

theia;1285864 wrote: then I "met" Betty and Acc on the Hitchhikers Guide thread and well, the rest is history :-6

Goodness knows how many cardigans it's cost you though!
theia

Post by theia »

spot;1285881 wrote: Goodness knows how many cardigans it's cost you though!

Hundreds, spot, hundreds. Maybe I should have just stayed in words :-1
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

oscar;1285827 wrote: I agree Pam.

The truth Is, even if you see a lovely new long word on a thread 'words ending in D' for example, you can google It to find It's meaning. However, I would bet any amount of money, that person would not be able to remember It let alone spell It the next morning.

Bit like a Goldfish really.

---

I'm equally out of favour with both you and Odie, Oscar - so when it dawned what this thread is actually about, I swept away my free-floating, pre coffee musings, and wandered off. :lips:

---

Theia - I always knew there was something intergalactically gargleblasting about that brown cardie!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Oscar Namechange

AussiePam;1285954 wrote: ---

I'm equally out of favour with both you and Odie, Oscar - so when it dawned what this thread is actually about, I swept away my free-floating, pre coffee musings, and wandered off. :lips:

---

Theia - I always knew there was something intergalactically gargleblasting about that brown cardie!!! You have never been out of favour with me Madame so please feel free to float by. I have Turkish Coffee and Amaretti biscuits waiting to be served.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

AussiePam;1285954 wrote: ---

---

Theia - I always knew there was something intergalactically gargleblasting about that brown cardie!!!Whats it about, a lovers quarrel?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Without wishing to trivialize the thread perhaps I could issue a groan?

Bristol City 0 - 6 Cardiff

That, in a Championship promotion play-off? Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Bristol City manager Gary Johnson: "It's the sort of night when it is best not to say much. Whatever reason I try to offer for that performance will be picked apart. We have a lot of soul searching to do over the next few days before our next game at Middlesbrough. It wasn't that we forgot how to defend, we just couldn't defend on the night."

Gordon Bennett. Go on, carry on, interruption over.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

spot;1286070 wrote: Without wishing to trivialize the thread perhaps I could issue a groan?

Bristol City 0 - 6 Cardiff

That, in a Championship promotion play-off? Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Bristol City manager Gary Johnson: "It's the sort of night when it is best not to say much. Whatever reason I try to offer for that performance will be picked apart. We have a lot of soul searching to do over the next few days before our next game at Middlesbrough. It wasn't that we forgot how to defend, we just couldn't defend on the night."

Gordon Bennett. Go on, carry on, interruption over.
What were they playing? Chess, checkers, polo, rummy?
minks

Post by minks »

Odie;1285805 wrote: so that's why you have so many!:yh_rotfl

hmmm I thought it was my chronic bitching that got me to where i am :yh_rotfl

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

YZGI;1286089 wrote: What were they playing? Chess, checkers, polo, rummy?

Silly buggers, Wisey, they were playing silly buggers.

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”