haiti anyone?

A forum to discuss local issues in Asia, Africa, and the rest of the world.
flopstock

haiti anyone?

Post by flopstock »

Apparently nearly every country represented on the Island has lost folks or are missing folks as a result of this earthquake. Our reporters called the local Red Cross and they have no plans at this time to do organize anything. Leaving it to the National folks I suppose:thinking:

Schools and hospitals, homes and businesses, private and public buildings - all gone.

anyone else have reports on your countries plans there?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Kathy Ellen

haiti anyone?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Floppy:-6

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I was definitely going to post a thread about the earthquake that Haiti has recently experienced.

These poor, poor people never seem to get a break, do they:-1 This news breaks my heart to see this nation suffer so much.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-N ... es-missing

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/HaitiEarthquak ... id=9552178

I believe that most nations are gearing up to help the survivors of this catastrophe.

We're making plans in my town right now to see what's best in helping the Hatians.
chonsigirl

haiti anyone?

Post by chonsigirl »

I know a group of firemen from Baltimore, rescue teams with search dogs took off this morning and should have been there by now.

:-1 It is so many people, it is hard to even think of such a number.
fuzzywuzzy

haiti anyone?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

100,000 feared dead. :-1:-1:-1:-1

A collapsed house in Port-au-Prince after the earthquake | Quake rocks Haiti | Herald Sun
Kathy Ellen

haiti anyone?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

That's great Chonsi:-6

I'm watching an update on the tragedy in Haiti. and the newscaster said that this was 'such a blow to a nation already on its knees.'

Geeze, How do these people deal with their political unrest, devistating hurricanes and now an earthquake and tsunami...
ZAP

haiti anyone?

Post by ZAP »

I'm seeing sites on my computer about where to go if you want to help. I'll send some money to the Red Cross, as I did with Katrina.
Kathy Ellen

haiti anyone?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Zapata;1281995 wrote: I'm seeing sites on my computer about where to go if you want to help. I'll send some money to the Red Cross, as I did with Katrina.

That's a great idea Zap...I'll do that too.

Plus my school will organize a drive for $ and medical supplies.
Odie

haiti anyone?

Post by Odie »

OTTAWA — Canada is offering condolences, consular services and aid to Haiti in the wake of a catastrophic earthquake that rocked the country.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued a statement that Canadians are "profoundly concerned" about the impact of the quake and extended sincere sympathies on behalf of all Canadians to those affected by the disaster.

"Our nation is home to a large community of Canadians of Haitian decent. Our thoughts and prayers are with them as they seek word about the safety of their loved ones," Harper said. "While officials are currently assessing the damage and the possibility of Canadians injured, Canada stands ready to provide any necessary assistance to the people of Haiti during this time of need."

I donated to help them.

google: Haiti Earthquake Relief
Life is just to short for drama.
along-for-the-ride

haiti anyone?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Here in Savannah you see signs of Haitian influence; from the shining images of a River Street Artist to the Haitian Monument in Franklin Square commemorating a centuries old connection. Each in their own way heightens the emotions of this tragedy.

As Jean Claude Martin paints his homeland, he thinks of his family.

“I am thinking everything is pretty bad now in Haiti.”

Growing up in Port-au-Prince, Martin is worried about those he’s left behind.

“I don’t know. I am trying to talk to my family; my people don’t have a phone. I call no answer. I don’t know if you are still alive if you are dead,” says a worried Martin.

His memories…much more colorful than the destruction he sees on TV.

“I see the pictures yeah it look bad. “

“How does it affect you to see your hometown like that?“

“It made me very sad. I don’t even like to look at it,” he says.

The images sadden our City Manager, Michael Brown too.

Savannah’s Sister City Saint Mark suffered little damage but he wonders what impact there will be.

“He said they are okay but clearly Port-au-Prince is not okay and Port-au-Prince is where they get a lot of their materials and supplies and its their life line so that is now in jeopardy,” explains Brown.

Yet another crisis….Brown knows is the last thing Haitians need.

“Our hearts go out because they are very vulnerable. People who are the most vulnerable have been hit by another set back but they are resilient people they move on with their life and they do thrive whenever there is a period of stability.”

Praying since he heard the news last night Martin says he will not stop till he hears from his family.

“I pray God for making it a little bit better for them.”

Earlier today the Haitian Ambassador to the United States Raymond Alcide Joseph actually mentioned Savannah during an interview on CNN. .

“The way we earned our independence was through our own force over 200 years ago, and when we did that, we helped the rest of Latin America. Even the United States got some help from us when we sent our soldiers to Savannah, Georgia, to fight,” he recalled. ”We should help each other. In unity, there is strength. That is the model of Haiti and Haitians will get united to solve the problem.”

Savannah remembers the 600 Haitian troops who supported American and French soldiers fighting against the British in 17-79…with a monument in Franklin Square.

At the time of it’s unveiling Haiti’s President even came to town.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
along-for-the-ride

haiti anyone?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Also from my area:

The Lowcountry chapter of the American Red Cross is accepting donations to support those affected by the Haitian earthquake.

The Red Cross is contributing an initial $1 million from its International Response Fund to support the relief operation, according to a news release. The organization also is sending supplies, including tarps and cooking sets, from its warehouse in Panama to meet the immediate needs of 5,000 families.

Donations can be made locally through the Palmetto Service Center on Sheridan Park Circle in Bluffton by calling 843-757-7437 or online at Low Country Red Cross - Home.

The Red Cross also is receiving money through a third-party fundraiser sponsored by Mobile Accord, according to the news release. Donors can text "Haiti" to 90999 to send a $10 donation.

The Red Cross is deploying only volunteers specially trained to manage international emergency operations. Eileen Hadbavny of the Red Cross' Carolina Lowcountry Chapter said Wednesday no groups of local volunteers had been sent to Haiti.

"Usually during international disasters, the best way to support, if people want to get behind those on the ground, is to provide a financial donation through the Red Cross," she said.

Telephone, Internet and other communication lines are often disrupted in disasters. The Red Cross advises those with loved ones in Haiti to be patient and continue to call or contact other relatives who live nearby.

If trying to reach a U.S. citizen living or traveling in Haiti, contact the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services, at 1-888-407-4747.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
AussiePam

haiti anyone?

Post by AussiePam »

Totally awful !!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

ZAP

haiti anyone?

Post by ZAP »

This is so ghastly for those who have survived the initial quake which was horrifying and then the many, many huge aftershocks which make you tremble each time the earth moves. And if they do survive it all, the aftermath will be horrible. For people who had so little to begin with and now to have to fight back under incomprehensible, to me, conditions makes my contribution seem insignificant. So horribly sad.
flopstock

haiti anyone?

Post by flopstock »

I got as far as three kids and two adults bodies stacked on the side of the road in an article this morning and had to stop for a bit. Just imagining rushing to get to my daughter and coming across that scene makes me ill all this time later.

Your heart just has to break for these people.:-1
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

haiti anyone?

Post by CARLA »

So very sad as they had nothing to begin with now they have even less and thousand up thousands will be dead. :-1

We had a 6.5 Sunday off the coast here. Other than a few things falling off shelves, damage to road etc, and some swaying all is good costly yes million in damages but no death or injuries. We build for earthquakes here and that is most of the problems there poor construction as it is a very poor country.

Maybe now they will get help with building a little better to withstand some earthquakes. I can't imagine the devastation. :-1
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

haiti anyone?

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1282032 wrote: This is so ghastly for those who have survived the initial quake which was horrifying and then the many, many huge aftershocks which make you tremble each time the earth moves. And if they do survive it all, the aftermath will be horrible. For people who had so little to begin with and now to have to fight back under incomprehensible, to me, conditions makes my contribution seem insignificant. So horribly sad.

your right Zapata, they never had anything to begin with.

The stories that flashed the news all day and tonight were just devastating.

How will they go now?:(

Some were Canadians there to visit, some have not been found yet.

one woman just arrived 2 days ago and was found dead.:yh_flower

they say 100,000 have perished and some still have not been found.:-1
Life is just to short for drama.
fuzzywuzzy

haiti anyone?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

All Australians have been accounted for. But they are in desperate need of help.
Imladris

haiti anyone?

Post by Imladris »

Anyone in the Uk who feels like helping could give a small donation to ShelterBox: - Home

Site worth a visit anyway
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time

Return to “Other Regions”