Windows 7

Nomad

Windows 7

Post by Nomad »

Would anyone with first hand knowledge care to offer up a brief synopsis and a general review of the pros and cons of Windows 7?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

Windows 7

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Nomad;1281893 wrote: Would anyone with first hand knowledge care to offer up a brief synopsis and a general review of the pros and cons of Windows 7?

Yeah... Rubbish !!
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Windows 7

Post by spot »

Rubbish in what sense?

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/compu ... s-7-a.html discusses Windows 7, Nomad. What do you need that's not there? If you need a comparison, what would you like it comparing with?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Windows 7

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1281911 wrote: Rubbish in what sense?

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/compu ... s-7-a.html discusses Windows 7, Nomad. What do you need that's not there? If you need a comparison, what would you like it comparing with?
Apologies Spot but although God did gift me with many qualities, pc speak Is not one of them. I tried, I really tried. I even did a 6 month college course In IT but to no avail. I just don't like It.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Windows 7

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1281916 wrote: Apologies Spot but although God did gift me with many qualities, pc speak Is not one of them. I tried, I really tried. I even did a 6 month college course In IT but to no avail. I just don't like It.

Windows7 in particular or IT in general?

When I briefly tried Vista I seriously objected to it and vowed to keep clear.

The brief tries I've had with Windows7 I liked - wind Vista back to XP and then make some sensible improvements and throw in some nice touches.

I'll leave it to someone with more experience of using it in anger to give a detailed answer.
Snowfire

Windows 7

Post by Snowfire »

I had XP since 2001. Later had a dabble with vista and hated it, never ever wanted it near my pc and cursed all that had it installed.

Bought Windows 7 in October and it is wonderful. Everything Vista tried to be but failed. Looks great, very functional and user friendly without being obtrusive like Vista is.

Can't for the life of me see what's rubbish about it
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
CARLA

Windows 7

Post by CARLA »

Nomie I recently purchased a new PC with Window 7 Ultimate simple terms it is a fancy Windows XP with all the bells and whistles. It looks and feel somewhat like a MAC operating system visually.

It has eliminated all the awful features of VISTA and made it very easy for everyday users to once again feel happy about their PC daily experience.

Do you need to upgrade NO unless you want to. You first need to determine if your current machine can upgrade to Windows 7 with upgrade advisor link provided below. It will tell you everything you need to know if your considering an upgrade. It does require certain specifications on a machine to run well.

Download details: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Some users who bought a new Laptop or PC were offered a free upgrade to Windows 7 when they purchased their machines late in 2009, as at the time all Microsoft has to offer was VISTA.

If your machine is working fine no need to purchase Window 7 wait until you buy a new machine as it will be what is offered from now on. Of course it is a personal choice if you want it get it. ;) Just remember it looks and feel much like Window XP just fancy and faster.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Nomad

Windows 7

Post by Nomad »

Thank you. Ill do some reading.

Yours truly,

Nomad
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Windows 7

Post by spot »

oscar;1281916 wrote: Apologies Spot but although God did gift me with many qualities, pc speak Is not one of them. I tried, I really tried. I even did a 6 month college course In IT but to no avail. I just don't like It.

So how in the name of all things holy does that make Windows 7 rubbish?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Windows 7

Post by Betty Boop »

I got to try Windows 7 on a friends brand new laptop when I set it up for her. It's really good, I want it!! *stamps foot and pouts* :wah:
LarsMac

Windows 7

Post by LarsMac »

I have been using XP for years. have helped friend, and grandson with problems on Vista and didn't really like it, though a lot was learning curve on how to do things.

Vista doesn't work as well as XP with a lot of programs.

So, now a story:

Bought my daughter a laptop which came with Sin 7.

She had it three days and found a virus because she did not install any AV.

She then tried to install Norton trial version, and things got wrapped around the axle a bit. Norton did detect and try to remove the virus, but in the process, apparently committed suicide and would no longer work.

SO, I picked it up and brought it home to fix.

Took it back to a restore point from Christmas day, which basically brought back to default config, and the first thing I did was download MS Security suite, and install it.

The ensuing scan picked up the virus and disposed of it, and the rest of the installation went well.

I had to get with Norton support to re-install Norton 360 which promises to be a lot less of a memory hog than it used to be.

Norton and the MS Security program work together without issue, and there does not seem to be a lot of memory lost to them.

I played a bit with Excel and Word, with some big docs, and never maxed out the memory or processor, unlike Vista.

Win 7 can address much more memory than XP could. All 4 GB of my memory are usable, compared to only 3 in XP.

I will be upgrading my game rig to win 7 sometime this spring when I have time.

If you're used to XP, a lot of the configuration stuff in control panel is very different and a bit of a pain to figure out, sometimes but the help files are pretty good about getting you through the process.

The user interface is very similar to Vista, but seems cleaner, and there are a lot less headaches getting apps to run.

Look and feel is clean, and most of the stuff seems seamless. If you like to tweak a lot, there is a learning curve.

If you just wanna plug it in and go, it is pretty easy to do so.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Windows 7

Post by spot »

I'm trying to remember when I last saw any software at all that I considered rubbish.

WordPerfect 5.1 and Word 6 were definitely rubbish, whoever released each of those should have been fired. Blue Screens Of Death were rubbish but the vast majority were down to lousy programming by third party driver writers releasing buggy code under pressure from their own hardware bosses to get the products on shelves. Drivers had enough privilege rights to bring down the operating system and they did it far too often. I'm not sure how Microsoft could have avoided that at the time, short of themselves certifying every driver release for every hardware device which was utterly impractical. The simple answer to BSsOD was to buy mainstream mature hardware from top of the line suppliers.

Acrobat, since v5, has annoyed me simply by being so pointlessly slow. The entire Flash system annoys me by being so intrusive by default. The various media players which try to force Digital Rights Management schemes and sales outlets on people annoy me, not that I see them often. None of them are rubbish, though. They all do exactly what they claim, they're utterly reliable.

I've seen lots of lousy marketing decisions and lots of people trying to run programs on hardware too small to cope, but rubbish software is a rarity.
CARLA

Windows 7

Post by CARLA »

Here here Spot I agree..!! :wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lon

Windows 7

Post by Lon »

I was using Vista and despite all the many complaints from outer users, I had no trouble. I downloaded Windows 7 in October and have been extremely pleased with it as well. It has lots of Bells and Whistles that I am still in the process of getting familiar with.
Raven

Windows 7

Post by Raven »

I really like it! I have it on my shiny new laptop, and it is well good! It is XP all tarted up. In Yankee speak, it's purdy darn good!:p
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
ButterflyPrincess

Windows 7

Post by ButterflyPrincess »

I have windows 7 on my new laptop that i just bought! I love it!! It's fast!:)
Bryn Mawr

Windows 7

Post by Bryn Mawr »

ButterflyPrincess;1285175 wrote: I have windows 7 on my new laptop that i just bought! I love it!! It's fast!:)

Hmmmm - slightly less bloated than previous offerings, maybe

Return to “The Gaming Zone - PC Console”