How do I get my dog to get used to his new house?

All aspects of your pet's behavior. Do you need help? Is your pet behaving normally?
johnrite

Post by johnrite »

I moved to a new house 4 days back and my puppy who is 4 months old seems to have trouble adjusting to it. He follows me around wherever I go; When I go out, he scratches at the door and whines and when left alone he chews all the stuff he can. Since I am working and staying alone, it is not possible for me to stay with him while he gets used to the house. I would like to train him to stay in the balcony of the house while I'm away at work. Can anyone help me about how I can get this done? Also, can anyone give me suggestions as to how I can stop him from chewing my things? Any suggestions you give me will be helpful.

Thanks.
[link removed]
spot

Post by spot »

I would definitely begin getting him used to the crate. However, your entire approach to the situation is what is going to make it or break it for you.

First, do not give in to him. If he whines, you can't go to him, pet him or even yell at him. Even negative attention is attention. Simply ignore the whining or get a spray bottle and correct him with that. By looking at him, talking to him, yelling at him, etc, you are essentially reinforcing the behavior. He needs to learn that whining does not get him any attention at all, negative or positive. If you go the spray bottle route, do not make eye contact and try not to look directly at him at all.

When you come and go, do not pay attention to him. Put him in the crate with a safe toy or treat (a Kong filled with frozen yoghurt or a tiny bit of peanut butter works GREAT!) and walk away. Again, don't look at him, talk to him, etc.. If you make a big deal about coming and going, so will he. If it's stressful for you to come and go, he will begin to feed off of that and it will increase the anxiety.

The biggest and most important thing is to not make a big deal out of the two of you being separated. Dogs are pack animals so it does take a lot of time for some to learn to be by themselves. Sometimes a radio playing in the background helps. At four months old, you can easily break this habit if you are consistent and dedicated to your training. If you let it progress, it is much, much harder to fix.

Another thing you can try, just to take the edge of during the initial stages of this is to add Chamomile tea to the dogs water. The chamomile tea is safe for dogs and does take the edge off of the anxiety without really drugging the dog like some vets might prescribe. You just brew a cup of it and mix it in with their water. It's just a relaxing herb, basically.

As for the chewing, crating will help when you are not home. For when you are home, a spray bottle or pet corrector will work well at stopping the pup from chewing. Once you correct the negative behaviour, give the dog something he is allowed to chew. The most important thing you can do is to keep things that you don't want chewed out of the puppies reach.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Excellent advice Spot! The whole trick is be consistant with the suggestions Spot gave you. Good luck and keep us updated please.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Sorry Spot but crates are an abhorant use and excuse for a bad dog owner who can not train their dogs.

The advice I would give is to buy a DAP ( Dog Appeasing Pheromone ). They are Inexpensive plug In's for your electrical sockets that slowly release Pheromome's that will calm the puppy.

I would also suggest taking some Item of your clothing Un-laundered and placing that on the balcony to re-assure him.

The toughest thing to work out Is If your Pup Is genuinely distressed or just pulling a stunt.

When you leave the house, do not pet the puppy at all as It makes them worse. Just leave quietly and equally, do not make a fuss of the puppy when you come home, just walk in the house and Ignore him for a short while.

Over the next few weeks, go through the process of leaving your house and returning many times. Although dogs live for the moment, they will remember If the last time you left the house, It was for 8 hours or so. Leave the house, making no fuss and return after 10 minutes with no fuss. Do this repeatedly and the Pup will then learn very quickly that you could be 10 minutes or 10 hours.

When you come back Into the house, Ignore him totally If he Is making a fuss but give some praise and reward If he Is calm and quiet. I have used this method all my life and It does work.

Let us know how It goes.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1278975 wrote: Sorry Spot but crates are an abhorant use and excuse for a bad dog owner who can not train their dogs.
John's a Texan. They break animals in Texas, it's all part of being manly.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

I have two Miniature Pinschers that were crate trained as suggested by the breeder. Here is a link for more information on crate training and may answer some questions as to why crate training works and may help you decide if you want to crate train your puppy:

About Dogs - Crate Training

The other alternative I would suggest is to contain the puppy to one area using a baby gate when you have to leave. Put plenty of chew toys and place a dog bed in that one area.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1278978 wrote: John's a Texan. They break animals in Texas, it's all part of being manly.

I do not have the dogs In my bedroom although the door Is always wide open. Rosie was approx 10 to 12 weeks old when she arrived at our home. Without a crate, she learnt within days that she was not to cross the line between the hall and the bedroom. Sometimes, she will sit outside the open door when I am In there, whinging, but never crossing that line... same with the other two. If they wanted to, they could walk right In.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

It's a puppy it just wants to be in your company all the time. Stay with it as much as you can and have a place you can sent it to when you want peace-I work from home so I used to grab it by the scruff and put it in it's bed in the kitchen when it didn't settle. Now it knows to keep out my way when working and it also got used to the idea when there it was staying on it's own for a while. It also gives it somewhere to go if it wants peace. Why can't you just shut it on the balcony?

oscars right about not making a fuss when you leave just get it used to the routine. When I come in the dog sits and waits till I speak to it, it seems heartless but you need it interacting on your terms and adult dogs in a pack will ignore pups until they are ready as well.

It's probably also teething and will chew anything in sight it's not doing it just to be annoying or defiant so don't take it personally. Just remove anything you don't want chewed from the room if you are leaving it alone. Don't punish it for chewing unless you catch it actually in the act and then a firm no and a tap on the nose is all you need, same when it bites you say no and tap the nose-once or twice is all it takes. It's a dog so if you punish it after the event it won't know why it will just decide you are dangerous to go near. They do grow out of it it's just chewing furniture is more rewarding than a rubber toy if you are a dog. A dog chewing or not settling is not the problem it's how you choose to deal with it that is.

posted by oscar

Sorry Spot but crates are an abhorant use and excuse for a bad dog owner who can not train their dogs.

Actually I'm inclined to agree with you though my attitude is coloured by people who can't be bothered taking the dog a walk and lock it in a cage to prevent it wrecking the house. Why buy a big dog if taking it out for three or four hours a day is more walking than you can be bothered with?

Incidentally I can now leave my dog alone with a free run in the house all day if I need to and come back to no chewed furniture or piles of dog poo.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Just wanted to clarify when and why my dogs get crated. My dogs are ONLY crated when I have to leave the house. They, as a matter of fact, run to their crates as soon as they sense I'm leaving. I feel safe when I'm gone and don't have to worry that they might hurt themselves while I'm out. My dogs are both the size of cats and are also litter box trained. The only other time they are crated is at bed time. I work from home during the day and they have the run of the house but prefer to lay in their beds with me in my office. I also want to mention that my dogs have their own bedroom with a toy chest and a closet to store their sweaters, jackets and blankets. My dogs want for nothing and have not suffered from being crated. Is crating for every dog owner? No. It depends on how the owner wants to train their dog(s). I would also suggest puppy training classes if you don't have the time to properly train your dog(s). I also want to stress I NEVER use their crates as punishment.

May I ask what breed of puppy you have John?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Great advice, Spot! We've had a new Labradoodle for about 3 weeks now, We've been pretty much doing what you've written and the dog is doing great. This breed of dog learns quickly.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
abbey

Post by abbey »

Ian;1279081 wrote: You shouldn't own a dog if you can not look after it, it's not fair on the dog if you are out at work all day, what sort of life will the dog have locked up all day?

Some people are just so ignorant it's unbelievable it really is :-2

there are dog sitters, kennels for people in your situation.

you should have thought of this before you bought the dog, I hope you didn't buy the dog on the black market because I'm sure as hell that any reputable business that sells dogs would not allow you to purchace. Although I do agree with your first Paragrah you did go off on a tangent.

Black market!

Get real. :rolleyes:
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

I think Ian possibly meant from a puppy farm.

No ethical breeder would sell a puppy to someone who works more than 4 hours per day.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Nobody should own a dog, if the animal is going to be left on their own for several hours on a regular basis. A dog is a pack animal and needs company. If left alone, particularly as a pup, you can expect all kinds of problems. It is not the dog's fault, it is the selfish owner's fault. Why did you get a dog, when you live by yourself and work each day? It would have been better to have got yourself a cat, at least it could have a cat-flap installed in the door for it to come and go as it liked. A poor dog is locked away, at best in a room with no company and at worst, trapped in a cage. Of course it is going to chew things - it is bored and lonely. I have no doubt that your puppy probably yaps a lot of the time, also because it is lonely. If this happens, and because you aren't there to witness it, your neighbour will get very irritated and may even call the American equivalent of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, or an Authority concerned with nuisance noise.

It may be worth thinking about letting your pup go to live with a kind person who will be around the place and be company for the poor little fella.

I don't know why you bought the pup, maybe as company for you when you are actually at home, but pardon me for saying, but that is a most selfish reason - when you are out working a lot of the day.

Sorry, I find this sort of thing cruel and thoughtless.

I agree with Ian, totally.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1278988 wrote: It's a puppy it just wants to be in your company all the time. Stay with it as much as you can and have a place you can sent it to when you want peace-I work from home so I used to grab it by the scruff and put it in it's bed in the kitchen when it didn't settle. Now it knows to keep out my way when working and it also got used to the idea when there it was staying on it's own for a while. It also gives it somewhere to go if it wants peace. Why can't you just shut it on the balcony?

oscars right about not making a fuss when you leave just get it used to the routine. When I come in the dog sits and waits till I speak to it, it seems heartless but you need it interacting on your terms and adult dogs in a pack will ignore pups until they are ready as well.

It's probably also teething and will chew anything in sight it's not doing it just to be annoying or defiant so don't take it personally. Just remove anything you don't want chewed from the room if you are leaving it alone. Don't punish it for chewing unless you catch it actually in the act and then a firm no and a tap on the nose is all you need, same when it bites you say no and tap the nose-once or twice is all it takes. It's a dog so if you punish it after the event it won't know why it will just decide you are dangerous to go near. They do grow out of it it's just chewing furniture is more rewarding than a rubber toy if you are a dog. A dog chewing or not settling is not the problem it's how you choose to deal with it that is.

posted by oscar

Actually I'm inclined to agree with you though my attitude is coloured by people who can't be bothered taking the dog a walk and lock it in a cage to prevent it wrecking the house. Why buy a big dog if taking it out for three or four hours a day is more walking than you can be bothered with?

Incidentally I can now leave my dog alone with a free run in the house all day if I need to and come back to no chewed furniture or piles of dog poo. We seem to agree on some-thing.

Chewing Puppie's.

There are many reasons pups chew. I will bet any amount of money that those who have had a puppy chew has at some point given the pup an Item that has belonged to the owner, ie, an old slipper. Big Big mistake !!! The pup then believes that anything, including furnature with the owners smell on It, is their also.

When you get a new pup, It's very Important to get the pup to learn what belongs to him and what belongs to you. A friend gave her new pup one of her girls old dolls, and of course, the pup then chewed up every toy her little girl had. The pup will have no Idea he is doing wrong. You need to buy your pup his own toys and use a firm 'NO' when he goes for anything that does not belong to him. He will soon learn.

One desperate measure I did take with a rescue I had that ate my husbands shed was to make a mustard paste and dab It on the furnature.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Is Johnrite ever going to come back to this thread and respond to all of this good advice:(
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Kathy Ellen;1279385 wrote: Is Johnrite ever going to come back to this thread and respond to all of this good advice:(

I was just thinking the same thing Kathy Ellen. :confused:
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I expect the negative responses to the "cage" method (which I'd never heard of before this thread) have rather put him off. If he was just innocently doing what he thought was the right thing it was probably a bit of a shock.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Clodhopper;1279936 wrote: I expect the negative responses to the "cage" method (which I'd never heard of before this thread) have rather put him off. If he was just innocently doing what he thought was the right thing it was probably a bit of a shock.

Perhaps you are right but other methods were also posted as an alternative to crate training. I really wanted to know what kind of puppy and how John is making out with the problem he asked in his OP. I do hope he comes back to update us. :-3
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I would use the firm approach. Lay it on the line. Let the dog know hes just the dog and doesnt get a vote.

Tell him if he doesnt get his act together there are other dogs that would be grateful to live with you.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Post by spot »

Nomad;1282074 wrote: I would use the firm approach. Lay it on the line. Let the dog know hes just the dog and doesnt get a vote.

Tell him if he doesnt get his act together there are other dogs that would be grateful to live with you.

Between people that policy is known as Imperialism or, these days, American Foreign Policy.

Between species it seems you find it acceptable.

I don't think you should.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Kathy Ellen;1279385 wrote: Is Johnrite ever going to come back to this thread and respond to all of this good advice:(
Maybe they took umbrage at being called ignorant.
spot

Post by spot »

abbey;1282099 wrote: Maybe they took umbrage at being called ignorant.

The simple answer is to ban the possession of all domestic animals without exception. The ownership of animals is demeaning, both in the home and on the farm. Either life on earth is born to be wild or it's enslaved. You were born to be wild, abbey, so why not all the other things that creep, slither or bound around the planet?
Oscar Namechange

spot;1282100 wrote: The simple answer is to ban the possession of all domestic animals without exception. The ownership of animals is demeaning, both in the home and on the farm. Either life on earth is born to be wild or it's enslaved. You were born to be wild, abbey, so why not all the other things that creep, slither or bound around the planet?
Actually Spot I agree with you there as I'm locked In a row with the local council at the moment over foxes having just as much right to be here as wild birds and other mammels.

Anyway, I hope my posts didn't put the poster off returning. I just happen to be totally against crates or cages. I don't even understand folk crating dogs while they go to work. Mine are kept In the hall while we are out with very comfy baskets and although they have no access to other rooms, they do always have an open window should there be a fire.

One of the reasons I have always had more than one dog at one time ( and Cats) Is because Cats live In colonies In the wild and Dogs live In packs. I do believe any dog Is far happier as part of a pack. They bound off each other and the pack leader keeps the others in line leaving very little work for the owner. It Is Just very Importent to establish that You are the pack leaders Alpha.

When we rescued Puppy, she was not toilet trained nor trained in any way. I actually had to do nothing as she Immediately copied everything the other did Including recall, stay etc. She learnt within days that when she wanted to go to the tiolet, she just had to sit by the door as the others did. It's why I would not have a single dog, they are far far happier with their own company and less demanding.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

spot;1282098 wrote: Between people that policy is known as Imperialism or, these days, American Foreign Policy.

Between species it seems you find it acceptable.

I don't think you should.

I feel so small now.

You really gave it to me good.

I will overcome my Imperialistic tendencies, you'll see.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

Nomad;1293124 wrote: I feel so small now.

You really gave it to me good.

I will overcome my Imperialistic tendencies, you'll see. Don't feel small Foamie, Imperalism can be good.

I've got Peanut problems similar to Simone problems. :(
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

oscar;1293157 wrote: Don't feel small Foamie, Imperalism can be good.

I've got Peanut problems similar to Simone problems. :(

Spock disapproves of me. I must attempt to correct that.

We moved her litter box in closer to the proximity of her comfort zone and the situation has improved.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1293388 wrote: Spock disapproves of me. I must attempt to correct that.

We moved her litter box in closer to the proximity of her comfort zone and the situation has improved.

we must obey our cats wishes.:yh_rotfl

moved my litter upstairs to downstairs with the other one, one cat is afraid of the furnace room as its spooky, I took him down myself for 3 days so he would do his business............now he goes down on his own.:D
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Pet Behavior”