Vatican to review security after papal attack

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

VATICAN CITY -The Vatican will review its security procedures after a woman involved in a 2008 attempt to rush Pope Benedict XVI jumped a barrier in St. Peter's Basilica during Christmas Eve Mass and knocked him down, the Vatican spokesman said Friday.

Benedict, 82, wasn't hurt and delivered his traditional Christmas Day greetings in 65 languages from the loggia overlooking St. Peter's Square. While a bit unsteady at first, he also delivered a short speech about the world's trouble spots without problem.

The incident raised fresh questions about security for the pontiff, however, after officials said the woman involved had jumped the barrier at the 2008 Midnight Mass in a bid to get to the pope. She even wore the same red-hooded sweat shirt.

Story Link: Vatican to review security after papal attack
Odie

Post by Odie »

stupid woman!:rolleyes:
Life is just to short for drama.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

There is a story in the Bible about a sick woman who wanted to be made well.

As Jesus walked along, surrounded by his followers, she reached out and touched his robes, hoping the mere touch of them would heal her.

Jesus stopped and turned around. He asked "Who touched me?"

His disciples were confused. They replied "Lord, you are surrounded by people, who are all brushing against you as you walk."

But Jesus knew this touch was different.

The sick woman understood and knelt at his feet and apologised. She explained what she had done and why.

Jesus blessed her and raised her to her feet and she was healed.

In this news story this woman, who has psychiatric problems, reached out to touch the robes of God's representative on earth.

But as she reached out to touch his robes she was grabbed by Vatican guards and pulled to the ground. As she had already grabbed the Pope's robes, she pulled him down with her. The news story reads:

During Thursday night's service, she launched herself over the barricade as Benedict walked down the aisle at the start of Christmas Eve service. As security guards wrestled her to the ground, she grabbed onto Benedict's vestments, bringing him down with her.

Maybe she was a fanatic, trying to destroy the Head of the Catholic Church.

But maybe she was just a sick woman who wanted to be made well.

Just a thought.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Rap. I think you could be right! I don't think the woman meant any harm to the Pope, or that Cardinal who unfortunately broke his hip as he fell with all the muddle of security. :thinking:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Well we won't know until the tabloids get a hold of her . I hear sh'es currently going through psyhciatric treatment ......pray for her.:o Probably not best to make an issue of a sick woman who has no right of reply.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

This was here second attempt she did it the year before. I think it would be wise to not allow her in. Doesn't matter if she is ill she assaulted the POPE and a Cardinal with the Cardinal breaking his leg. She hit them with force that was intended IMHO.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Return to “General Religious Discussions”