Winter Drafts

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Nomad

Winter Drafts

Post by Nomad »

3M makes a window treatment for drafts coming in. I applied this to the sliding glass doors in my man cave and I was amazed at the amount of air coming in and by the comfortable temperature in that room now.

The cold air is trapped and can no longer enter my dwelling.

Cheap too.
I AM AWESOME MAN
minks

Winter Drafts

Post by minks »

Nomad;1275140 wrote: 3M makes a window treatment for drafts coming in. I applied this to the sliding glass doors in my man cave and I was amazed at the amount of air coming in and by the comfortable temperature in that room now.

Cheap too.

cool I need to shrink wrap my entire house.....

I have heard of these kinds of things and you apply the window treatment using a heat gun or blow dryer, hmmmm works well when it's sub zero temperatures I can hear my window crack now ahahahahaha
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
CARLA

Winter Drafts

Post by CARLA »

I thought your were talking about BEER..!!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

minks

Winter Drafts

Post by minks »

CARLA;1275146 wrote: I thought your were talking about BEER..!!

ahahahaha drafty beer

― Mae West
Nomad

Winter Drafts

Post by Nomad »

minks;1275143 wrote: cool I need to shrink wrap my entire house.....

I have heard of these kinds of things and you apply the window treatment using a heat gun or blow dryer, hmmmm works well when it's sub zero temperatures I can hear my window crack now ahahahahaha

The blow dryer is just for wrinkles.

You apply the provided transparent tape around the edges and then hang and stretch the film.

The whole process took 15 minutes.
I AM AWESOME MAN
minks

Winter Drafts

Post by minks »

Nomad;1275159 wrote: The blow dryer is just for wrinkles.

You apply the provided transparent tape around the edges and then hang and stretch the film.

hmmmm very cool, I have terrible windows in my house and a couple are as big as sliding doors I should find me this product and try it. Then I have to solve my draft coming in round my base boards and fix that.Ugh!!!!

― Mae West
Nomad

Winter Drafts

Post by Nomad »

minks;1275170 wrote: hmmmm very cool, I have terrible windows in my house and a couple are as big as sliding doors I should find me this product and try it. Then I have to solve my draft coming in round my base boards and fix that.Ugh!!!!

Might have to buy online. Not sure if 3M even knows Moose Jaw exists.
I AM AWESOME MAN
minks

Winter Drafts

Post by minks »

Nomad;1275172 wrote: Might have to buy online. Not sure if 3M even knows Moose Jaw exists.

I am NOT from Moose Jaw sheesh get your provinces right... I am wester than that.

― Mae West
Jazzy

Winter Drafts

Post by Jazzy »

Does it work on people too? :yh_rotfl
Nomad

Winter Drafts

Post by Nomad »

Jazzy;1275185 wrote: Does it work on people too? :yh_rotfl

I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Winter Drafts

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1275140 wrote: 3M makes a window treatment for drafts coming in. I applied this to the sliding glass doors in my man cave and I was amazed at the amount of air coming in and by the comfortable temperature in that room now.

Cheap too.

it does work well, its on my basement windows.

upstairs, the cats would just chew it.:-5

remember to leave one vent open downstairs.

basements need a bit of heat or else you will get mold from the dampness.
Life is just to short for drama.
flopstock

Winter Drafts

Post by flopstock »

Littleone complained about her windows this morning so it's been shrink wrapped! :-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Betty Boop

Winter Drafts

Post by Betty Boop »

flopstock;1278763 wrote: Littleone complained about her windows this morning so it's been shrink wrapped! :-6

Maybe I could do with some of this stuff you people speak of, I will have to enquire at a hardware store, if I can find one! All my windows are rotten, I was promised new two years ago, back in December I was lucky to have three totally rotten windows replaced, meanwhile I have four windows left that the wind is currently howling through :rolleyes:
Saint_

Winter Drafts

Post by Saint_ »

Nomad;1275159 wrote: The blow dryer is just for wrinkles.

Yeah, I did this a couple of years ago. It does work pretty well, assuming that you don't accidentally let something fall against it. Comes down pretty easy too.

:)
flopstock

Winter Drafts

Post by flopstock »

Betty Boop;1278765 wrote: Maybe I could do with some of this stuff you people speak of, I will have to enquire at a hardware store, if I can find one! All my windows are rotten, I was promised new two years ago, back in December I was lucky to have three totally rotten windows replaced, meanwhile I have four windows left that the wind is currently howling through :rolleyes:

She's already noticed the difference bb. it only cost 8$ and there is enough in the package for 5 3x5 windows. I figure i'll make that back on heat cost.:D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Winter Drafts

Post by flopstock »

Saint_;1278775 wrote: Yeah, I did this a couple of years ago. It does work pretty well, assuming that you don't accidentally let something fall against it. Comes down pretty easy too.

:)

The trick is to take the tape off as needed, not all at once like i did with the first window... DUH:yh_rotfl

and I have to admit, I didn't take the hairdryer to it, but it's pretty tight anyways.:thinking:

Clodhopper

Winter Drafts

Post by Clodhopper »

You certainly used to be able to get something similar in the UK. I remember it being used when I was a student in Scotland. Dunno what it was called though.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
buttercup

Winter Drafts

Post by buttercup »

A blanket?
Clodhopper

Winter Drafts

Post by Clodhopper »

A blanket?

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Nope. We were wearing all of those. And the carpets.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Betty Boop

Winter Drafts

Post by Betty Boop »

buttercup;1278833 wrote: A blanket?

:wah: I currently have two duvets on my bed and it's still cold!!
buttercup

Winter Drafts

Post by buttercup »

2 duvets on your bed and you are cold? You need an electric blanket girl.

No use to us in Scotland as we have power cuts in winter, maybe thats why we are hairy :wah:
Betty Boop

Winter Drafts

Post by Betty Boop »

buttercup;1278861 wrote: 2 duvets on your bed and you are cold? You need an electric blanket girl.

No use to us in Scotland as we have power cuts in winter, maybe thats why we are hairy :wah:

Euuuuggghhh TMI :wah:
buttercup

Winter Drafts

Post by buttercup »

Never underesimate a big hairy scotsman to keep you warm, or woman for that matter :wah:
Peg

Winter Drafts

Post by Peg »

We used to put an electric blanket under our sheet. You'd get into a warm bed, and it was like a full body heating pad. :-4
buttercup

Winter Drafts

Post by buttercup »

Hmmm dunno, just does not seem right to sleep on a sheet of electricity.

Get yourself a hairy Scotsman i say :D
Peg

Winter Drafts

Post by Peg »

buttercup;1278869 wrote: Hmmm dunno, just does not seem right to sleep on a sheet of electricity.

Okay but I don't think hubby will be too happy about it. :yh_rotfl
Odie

Winter Drafts

Post by Odie »

buttercup;1278869 wrote: Hmmm dunno, just does not seem right to sleep on a sheet of electricity.

its not a sheet of electricity, its a blanket buttercup.

I have one as well, only its lays on top of the sheet.....an hour before bed, I turn both controls on high......

..omg......you have no idea how toasty warm is is when I climb in.

the right control is so my cats stay warm to.:)
Life is just to short for drama.
Bryn Mawr

Winter Drafts

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1278786 wrote: You certainly used to be able to get something similar in the UK. I remember it being used when I was a student in Scotland. Dunno what it was called though.

Try :-

Click on the link below to see Secondary Glazing Film. (cat no. 0073350) ���������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

Oh sodit!

Google Secondary Glazing Film
Betty Boop

Winter Drafts

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr;1279429 wrote: Try :-

Click on the link below to see Secondary Glazing Film. (cat no. 0073350) ���������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

Oh sodit!

Google Secondary Glazing Film

Will go google, thanks for researching it, I thought about it when I was close to B&Q today but decided I couldn't cope with getting lost in there for two hours :wah:

Return to “Home Management”