Pope will write letter to Irish Catholics on abuse

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

VATICAN CITY -Pope Benedict XVI is deeply disturbed by a child sex-abuse scandal in Ireland and will write a letter to Catholics there on the church's response, the Vatican said Friday.

Benedict met at the Vatican with senior Irish clergy to discuss a possible response to a devastating report issued last week in Dublin, which found that the church shielded more than 100 child-abusing priests from the law.

A Vatican statement released after the 90-minute talks said the pope studied the report carefully and expressed his "profound regret."

"He was deeply disturbed and distressed by its contents," the statement said. "The Holy Father shares the outrage, betrayal and shame felt by so many of the faithful in Ireland."

Attending the talks at the Vatican were Irish Cardinal Sean Brady, Dublin Archbishop Diarmuid Martin and the Vatican's representative to Ireland, Archbishop Giuseppe Leanza.

The report found that church leaders in the Dublin Archdiocese failed to inform authorities about sexual abuse by priests, while police failed to pursue allegations under the belief that church figures were above the law.

Story Link: Pope will write letter to Irish Catholics on abuse
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I can't wait to read it. I wonder if he will issist that all those involved will be foreced to step down from their positions within the church and be charged accordingly with the laws of our land and jailed as they should be.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

mikeinie;1272030 wrote: I can't wait to read it. I wonder if he will issist that all those involved will be foreced to step down from their positions within the church and be charged accordingly with the laws of our land and jailed as they should be.

That is the very least that decency would allow him to do.

Anything less would be a continuation of the protection afforded to the paedophiles by the Church.
gmc

Post by gmc »

He appears top have led the cover up wonder if he will resign himself?

Pope 'led cover-up of child abuse by priests'| News | This is London

Bet they claim any criticism of the pope is merely anti-Catholicism.
Ted

Post by Ted »

G. Bush absolved Benny of any further action on the part of the US. Another wonderful Christian idea.

Shalom

Ted:-6
gmc

Post by gmc »

Ted;1273848 wrote: G. Bush absolved Benny of any further action on the part of the US. Another wonderful Christian idea.

Shalom

To forgive is the christian thing to do unless an aye for an eye is called for and priests can do no wrong. How can the president give a pardon before someone has been called to trial?
Ted

Post by Ted »

gmc:-6

Of course forgiveness is part of the Christian way of life but that does not preclude the administration of justice.

I have no idea what Bush said but apparently he assured Benny that he would not be held to account in the US. I do not think that is appropriate in the case of child molestation or any molestation for that matter.

Shalom

Return to “General Religious Discussions”