Aspiring to be more?

Ahso!

Aspiring to be more?

Post by Ahso! »

I hope you don't mind me taking this from that other thread, Bryn, but it intrigued me and I didn't want to take the other one off topic.

Bryn Mawr;1271666 wrote: No kind at all - they're worse than animals :mad:Ahso! wrote: We are animals! But i understand what you mean, though i would make the case we are the "bad" animals because we're the only animal capable and willing to destroy the planet and each other for trivial reasons.

Bryn Mawr;1271677 wrote: Certainly we're animals but we aspire to be so much more and this proves that some of us are so much less. So my question is: What is it we should aspire to be more than, ourselves? I had another question and lost it.

Anyone?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Elvira

Aspiring to be more?

Post by Elvira »

Ahso!;1271685 wrote: I hope you don't mind me taking this from that other thread, Bryn, but it intrigued me and I didn't want to take the other one off topic.

So my question is: What is it we should aspire to be more than, ourselves? I had another question and lost it.

Anyone?

Can we truly be more than ourselves? Surely whatever we achieve we will still be ourselfs, as it is the 'we' that is achieving? Unless of course you are talking 'enlightenment' type disappearance of self - in which case this is definitely not something I aspire to as I have too many stakeholders (family, friends, loved ones) and I would rather live for them.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Aspiring to be more?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1271685 wrote: I hope you don't mind me taking this from that other thread, Bryn, but it intrigued me and I didn't want to take the other one off topic.

I'm honoured you thought it worth pursuing.

Ahso!;1271685 wrote: So my question is: What is it we should aspire to be more than, ourselves? I had another question and lost it.

Anyone?

We should aspire to rise above our instinctive animal reaction to situations and think before we act.

If we get that far we can call ourselves Homo Sapiens

Once we start reacting rationally rather than on instinct we should aspire to act ethically.

If we ever get that far we can call ourselves human.
LarsMac

Aspiring to be more?

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1272394 wrote: I'm honoured you thought it worth pursuing.

We should aspire to rise above our instinctive animal reaction to situations and think before we act.

Once we start reacting rationally rather than on instinct we should aspire to act ethically.

Well said.

So we should aspire to be truly human.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Aspiring to be more?

Post by Ahso! »

Well said indeed!:)Bryn Mawr;1272394 wrote: I'm honoured you thought it worth pursuing.

If we get that far we can call ourselves Homo Sapiens So of all the regions of the human body, the development of the brain is most important? Young humans usually react emotionally and as we grow and the brain continues to develop we become more cognitive and less emotional. You're saying that needs to occur more quickly? The rest of the body is equally important, what changes if any would you like to see in those regions?

Bryn Mawr;1272394 wrote: Once we start reacting rationally rather than on instinct we should aspire to act ethically.

If we ever get that far we can call ourselves human.But rationality is not a reaction, its thought. What happens between the time a person is young and older, is the jump from emotion to cognitive lessens, to pretty close to instantaneously.

It's worth noting that emotion is not only where such primal emotions such as fear and anger reside, but its also where love and empathy live as well. I think its the combination of both emotion and thought that makes us hominid.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Aspiring to be more?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1272458 wrote: Well said indeed!:) So of all the regions of the human body, the development of the brain is most important? Young humans usually react emotionally and as we grow and the brain continues to develop we become more cognitive and less emotional. You're saying that needs to occur more quickly? The rest of the body is equally important, what changes if any would you like to see in those regions?

But rationality is not a reaction, its thought. What happens between the time a person is young and older, is the jump from emotion to cognitive lessens, to pretty close to instantaneously.

Not saying it should happen more quickly - children are children for a reason and need the development time. I often think that children nowadays are forced to face many aspects of life before they are equipped to deal with them.

What I am trying to say is that many adults do not make use of their ability to think. The react to situation before they consider the implications. The opinions they espouse are emotional responses or outside thoughts that they have accepted without thinking them through.

Far too often mass psychology holds sway at the expense of individuals thinking for themselves.

It appears to be becoming the norm for public opinion to be dictated by those with the best access to the media - people do not look behind the headlines to find the facts and form a rational opinion.

Rationality is not a reaction - it's a learned response that too many people never learn.

:wah:

Ahso!;1272458 wrote:

It's worth noting that emotion is not only where such primal emotions such as fear and anger reside, but its also where love and empathy live as well. I think its the combination of both emotion and thought that makes us hominid.

Again, not saying that there is not a place for emotion - just that it cannot take over and that thought must also be a part of our response.
spot

Aspiring to be more?

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1272462 wrote: What I am trying to say is that many adults do not make use of their ability to think. The react to situation before they consider the implications. The opinions they espouse are emotional responses or outside thoughts that they have accepted without thinking them through.There's an excuse when it's spur-of-the-moment conversational thinking.

There's none at all on ForumGarden though. There's plenty of time to consider each post before clicking on the submit button.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Aspiring to be more?

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1272462 wrote:

What I am trying to say is that many adults do not make use of their ability to think. The react to situation before they consider the implications. The opinions they espouse are emotional responses or outside thoughts that they have accepted without thinking them through.

Far too often mass psychology holds sway at the expense of individuals thinking for themselves.

It appears to be becoming the norm for public opinion to be dictated by those with the best access to the media - people do not look behind the headlines to find the facts and form a rational opinion.

Rationality is not a reaction - it's a learned response that too many people never learn.

:wah:What I've been understanding about brain development is that in many, and I personally believe most people is that as the body advances the brain is lagging behind. In people such as myself its that the emotional to cognitive response or jump is delayed. My cognitive abilities are fine, in fact they are above average, but things get stuck in the emotional part of the brain for a while. For me it could be a delay of a few seconds up to a few hours before the transitions occur. As you point out the media and politicians hire psychologists and sociologists whom understand all this quite well and use it to whatever advantage lies the highest monetary reward.

I actually would not want to be any other way than I am because I'm a fun and engaging person. I'm a bit trying on the patience sometimes, but all in all people like being around me. And its because of that playfulness and emotionality I exhibit. Some people who are too cognitive too quickly and lengthy are dry much of the time.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
theia

Aspiring to be more?

Post by theia »

So my question is: What is it we should aspire to be more than, ourselves? I had another question and lost it.

Anyone?

The older I get the more I wonder if I'm any more or less than I always have been. I suppose I'm the sum of my memories and experiences if I choose to think about them but I don't know whether they have really changed the root of what I am, whatever that might be. For the past year, I've been working with older people and the newly born, and although I can't really explain it properly, it's had an effect on me and set me wondering even more
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Ahso!

Aspiring to be more?

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1272467 wrote: There's an excuse when it's spur-of-the-moment conversational thinking.

There's none at all on ForumGarden though. There's plenty of time to consider each post before clicking on the submit button.Thats true. What I've learned is instead of the emotion being the driving force for replying its now a reminder that I probably need more time. Sometimes emotion is mistaken for conviction and emotion also elicits more (emotional) responses which I had been trained to do in the commercial world and am now making adjustments to.

theia;1272500 wrote: The older I get the more I wonder if I'm any more or less than I always have been. I suppose I'm the sum of my memories and experiences if I choose to think about them but I don't know whether they have really changed the root of what I am, whatever that might be. For the past year, I've been working with older people and the newly born, and although I can't really explain it properly, it's had an effect on me and set me wondering even moreSounds like fun, Theia. Since I've been learning and thinking in evolutionary terms, I tend to notice the primate in us all and am understanding how so many of my interpretations of events and people are so shaped by prejudice. I'm trying to get back to being me.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Aspiring to be more?

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1272394 wrote: I'm honoured you thought it worth pursuing.

If we ever get that far we can call ourselves human.Unsatisfied

I'd previously thought about the implications in a human being attempting to perceive anything that can be divinely more complex than said person. Quite frankly it's logically impossible for a human being to understand something with greater complexity than themselves and I'm curious if you'd venture to guess as to what in the known Universe is more complex than yourself yet less similar to anything greater in complexity.

theia;1272500 wrote: The older I get the more I wonder if I'm any more or less than I always have been. I suppose I'm the sum of my memories and experiences if I choose to think about them but I don't know whether they have really changed the root of what I am, whatever that might be. For the past year, I've been working with older people and the newly born, and although I can't really explain it properly, it's had an effect on me and set me wondering even moreContent

My conclusion among many of my thoughts has always been that complacency is the true meaning of life while many questions arise either from a positive or negative perspective. This "perspective" can only be possible by trial and error, which ultimately defines every thought as having originated in the body. What you get is the definition of "Holism". The brain obviously serves to interpret these occurrences and when the brain recognizes the same thought(Memory) it triggers a response to either judge the initiation as "good" or "bad". The "bad" being the bodies ability to fool the brain and the "good" being the brains ability to fool the body. We end back at Holism once this is observed. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" -- Martin Luther King Jr. Do you believe in this saying? Anyone?

Ahso!;1272501 wrote: Thats true. What I've learned is instead of the emotion being the driving force for replying its now a reminder that I probably need more time. Sometimes emotion is mistaken for conviction and emotion also elicits more (emotional) responses which I had been trained to do in the commercial world and am now making adjustments to. Regretful

You feel this response is incrementally, to perhaps logarithmically(I LOVE that word don't ask me why!), delayed the older one gets?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Aspiring to be more?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bryn Mawr;1272394 wrote:

K.Snyder;1297151 wrote: Unsatisfied

I'd previously thought about the implications in a human being attempting to perceive anything that can be divinely more complex than said person. Quite frankly it's logically impossible for a human being to understand something with greater complexity than themselves and I'm curious if you'd venture to guess as to what in the known Universe is more complex than yourself yet less similar to anything greater in complexity.

Where does the divinely come from? Or understanding the complexities of the universe?

The concept I was trying to put over was far simpler than that. Bodily reactions, responses learned in childhood and cultural imperatives provide a set of automatic actions for almost any situation we might encounter.

It can be very easy for a person to live using just those automatic actions but that is living as an animal would live. To be human we must be able to react to situations in a rational manner and to use an ethical code to guide out response.

Each of us is responsible for formulating a personal system of moral values and integrating that into an ethical code that allows us to live within the culture that exists around us - if we accept that of our peers or of one religion or another then it is still our responsibility to validate the code we are accepting.

As to what may by more complex than myself, other humans aside I am still looking.
Ahso!

Aspiring to be more?

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1297151 wrote:

You feel this response is incrementally, to perhaps logarithmically(I LOVE that word don't ask me why!), delayed the older one gets?For some.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Aspiring to be more?

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1297267 wrote: Where does the divinely come from? Or understanding the complexities of the universe?

The concept I was trying to put over was far simpler than that. Bodily reactions, responses learned in childhood and cultural imperatives provide a set of automatic actions for almost any situation we might encounter.

It can be very easy for a person to live using just those automatic actions but that is living as an animal would live. To be human we must be able to react to situations in a rational manner and to use an ethical code to guide out response.

Each of us is responsible for formulating a personal system of moral values and integrating that into an ethical code that allows us to live within the culture that exists around us - if we accept that of our peers or of one religion or another then it is still our responsibility to validate the code we are accepting.

As to what may by more complex than myself, other humans aside I am still looking. Well I'd recently thought about Erik Erikson's stages of development and while I believe that one needs to understand one particular stage in order to excel in the other I can't help but wonder if we are all products of our childhood.

Along these lines I believe that these stages are suggested to be quite beneficial towards ourselves as children but also I believe that we can only see the suggestion once and from that point forward is left up to us to decide which route we wish to take...

Much in the same it could be said that children with the inability to grasp these understandings on a one step bases(Without the need for a second suggestion) then ultimately their intellect serves to either increase or decrease their ability to remain moral as defined by the suggestion. Opposite to having a divinely moral suggestion brought into the light is one with absolutely detrimental effects on ones ability to guess as to whether the next step will serve to increase their likelihood of remaining and even growing to be much more respectable person. All of it defining my belief that one is equally as intelligent as they are moral. Intelligence defines morality and vica versa.

It also argues that the absolute most crucial periods in a child's life is within the first 2 years...

The complexity is relevant in determining the divine bias between what's acceptable to society and what's not acceptable. Which also illustrates my observation that the majority of society define morality because quite frankly they cannot understand that which is more complex than themselves.

Ahso!;1297300 wrote: For some.

The point being that emotion serves to be the first response to the initial suggestion ultimately leaving one's intelligence to define their morality by virtue of impulse based off of the emotions having been displayed in the initial response. This is argued very extensively by Erik Erikson as aforementioned.
Amythest

Aspiring to be more?

Post by Amythest »

Maybe the problem is we're all Alien HYBRIDS!!!

:yh_alien
Amythest

Aspiring to be more?

Post by Amythest »

Ok seriously.....( but the alien comment was kind of serious)

SOME people believe we stem from some genetic tampering from visiting aliens. Apparently this happened almost 4,000 yrs ago? They were called the Anunnaki in Sumeria. There's an explosion of info on the web about this theory and various researchers who have studied the archaeological remains of ancient Sumeria.

Here is one video, and various other ones on the same Youtube page.

YouTube - Anunnaki Secret History on Earth

Questions! and more questions.

With this in mind ( now don't get yer intellectual thinking caps in a knot, I am presenting this as theory, not MY personal belief) IF we are truly unaware of our origins, they were somehow altered, covered up, destroyed, and religious belief instilled other beliefs, then HOW can humans aspire to be more?

Are we confused, misled, hoodwinked spiritually and intellectually?

If what we believe becomes reality, then maybe our reality is geared to keep us going in circles, chained to beliefs that keep us from attaining our true potential as individuals. Essentially our existence is controlled by our leaders whether they are political or religious.

Some who beleive the Anunnaki theory think this alien hybrid race exists within our religions and the power elite. That THEY know who they are, and are waiting for their alien ancestors to return. This is all hidden in symbolism within apocolyptic prophesy and is presented to us civilians as a battle between good and evil.

Since I'm essentially an agnsotic....I just don't know, but i find it quite interesting and compelling.

What about censoring the truth? In that Video Micheal Gremo states science, discovery and what is found by archeologists are accepted or rejected by the Leadership status quo. Mainly these leaders stem from Roman Catholicism and it's followers. Various methods are used to stifle or discredit discovery.

THis is a known fact. The church destroyed various civilizations and libraries during crusades and conquests.

In the Bible our creation is condensed into Genesis. Of course Genesis isn't literal, or fact, there are gaps, but was this an attempt by priests to fill in the blanks for lost knowledge or to cover up the truth?

If Humans are to attain there potential blocking the truth will prevent that.

So far we've had thousands of years of power structures repressing, margianalizing, torturing and killing anyone who attempts to function outside of their beleif system. Namely a religious system that represses and uses human potential for it's gain. This system only allows for very few to rise to the top, tap into their potential, and that is only if the PTB agree.

We can aspire, but will we ever attain those aspirations? I say it depends on what they are, and if they allign with the staus quo.

Ahso. If i went way off your intended subject , my apologies, but to me aspiring to be more has to involve the core of our beliefs.

Finding the truth is what gives us the power to attain our aspirations.:-6
K.Snyder

Aspiring to be more?

Post by K.Snyder »

Amythest;1297696 wrote: Ok seriously.....( but the alien comment was kind of serious)

SOME people believe we stem from some genetic tampering from visiting aliens. Apparently this happened almost 4,000 yrs ago? They were called the Anunnaki in Sumeria. There's an explosion of info on the web about this theory and various researchers who have studied the archaeological remains of ancient Sumeria.

Here is one video, and various other ones on the same Youtube page.

YouTube - Anunnaki Secret History on Earth

Questions! and more questions.

With this in mind ( now don't get yer intellectual thinking caps in a knot, I am presenting this as theory, not MY personal belief) IF we are truly unaware of our origins, they were somehow altered, covered up, destroyed, and religious belief instilled other beliefs, then HOW can humans aspire to be more?

Are we confused, misled, hoodwinked spiritually and intellectually?

If what we believe becomes reality, then maybe our reality is geared to keep us going in circles, chained to beliefs that keep us from attaining our true potential as individuals. Essentially our existence is controlled by our leaders whether they are political or religious.

Some who beleive the Anunnaki theory think this alien hybrid race exists within our religions and the power elite. That THEY know who they are, and are waiting for their alien ancestors to return. This is all hidden in symbolism within apocolyptic prophesy and is presented to us civilians as a battle between good and evil.

Since I'm essentially an agnsotic....I just don't know, but i find it quite interesting and compelling.

What about censoring the truth? In that Video Micheal Gremo states science, discovery and what is found by archeologists are accepted or rejected by the Leadership status quo. Mainly these leaders stem from Roman Catholicism and it's followers. Various methods are used to stifle or discredit discovery.

THis is a known fact. The church destroyed various civilizations and libraries during crusades and conquests.

In the Bible our creation is condensed into Genesis. Of course Genesis isn't literal, or fact, there are gaps, but was this an attempt by priests to fill in the blanks for lost knowledge or to cover up the truth?

If Humans are to attain there potential blocking the truth will prevent that.

So far we've had thousands of years of power structures repressing, margianalizing, torturing and killing anyone who attempts to function outside of their beleif system. Namely a religious system that represses and uses human potential for it's gain. This system only allows for very few to rise to the top, tap into their potential, and that is only if the PTB agree.

We can aspire, but will we ever attain those aspirations? I say it depends on what they are, and if they allign with the staus quo.

Ahso. If i went way off your intended subject , my apologies, but to me aspiring to be more has to involve the core of our beliefs.

Finding the truth is what gives us the power to attain our aspirations.:-6

I think the OP can best be compared to the question "Where are we going?"...

In it you'll find As Robert Pirsig points out, the ancient Greek image of time was quite different: a) we are facing the past, not the future and b) time is moving and we are standing still. The metaphor would be standing in a river looking downstream. This is a much better metaphor: we don’t KNOW what is in the future, even the immediate future, though we might can guess based on the past. All that we can see (remember) is the past, and the further it recedes, the less clear it becomes. And, of course, we can do nothing to influence the passage of time, any more than we can stop the flow of a river. http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/1273467-post2.html pointed out by spot and I agree. When one wishes to predict the future their perception of time is warped because they'd then be defined as lacking a complete definition of the past(relative to each perspective obviously). All we can do as humans is observe the past and guess as to where we will end in the future. The best explanation, in my mind, is illustrated here http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/1296451-post5.html.

It amazes me how people feel it's appropriate to suggest any two persons' questions can be the same because they "claim" the "same" religion. Every persons' religion is different regardless of names such as "Christianity, Buddhism, Atheism etc...etc..." because every known person asks different questions. The confusion can best be compared to human beings and their DNA/fingerprints yet are still categorized as "Homo Sapiens". You wouldn't incarcerate/ridicule the next human being you see simply because you'd witnessed a Homo Sapien commit "a crime" would you?
K.Snyder

Aspiring to be more?

Post by K.Snyder »

I'm afraid we've looked too deeply "within" ourselves in wishing to aspire to be more than that which is more complex than ourselves ultimately defining our "faults". Our downfall, quintessentially, is our "knowledge" in assuming it's possible for mere animals such as ourselves to "Aspiring to be more?" that is the very definition in recognizing those "faults".

It's how the question arises

Return to “Philosophy”