Evolutionary Psychology and Schizophrenia

Elvira

Post by Elvira »

Read something REALLY interesting in a text book yesterday on this topic....

Have you ever considerd why psychology such as Schizophrenia, which isn't really adaprtive in terms of evolutionary psychology (those with it generally have poorer overall health), persists in the modern world?

Interestingly, psyhchologists have suggested that schizophrenia remains in the population because of its genetic links with creativity, because some of the aspects of schizophrenia, such as divergent thinking and unusual experiences, can aid creativity and since creativity has been found to increase reproductive success, this link between creativity and schizophrenia may explain why the genes associated with schizophrenia remain.

Although those with schizophrenia are often too ill to be highly creative themselves, the genetic advantage to relatives without the illness may be such that their creative ability enables them to have high reproductive success, thus causing them to pass on some of the genes associated with schizophrenia.

Any thoughts?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I think that as in Autism, Schizophrenia may very well exist to some degree in us all.

As for evolutionary theory on the subject, I'm a believer that evolution as a philosophy is a natural process considering all living things evolve. I see these neurological variations in the brain which account for these "conditions" as no different as why the jaws in some of us are too small for all our growing teeth. Its just nature doing what it does. As a species we're constantly changing - biologically very slowly mostly and possibly more quickly in other ways.

Incidentally---GREAT THREAD!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

I agree with most of your points in principle..... I was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia when I was a child - actually it was just chronic OCD, and the fact I was petrified that I was going insane.

The point that I find interesting is the link between schizophrenia and creativity. It explains to me why schizophrenia still exists. As research has shown that those with schizophrenia are less likely to reproduce than the 'control group' you would think that the illness would eventually disappear. However since research also shows that those with creative ability are more likely to reproduce in greater numbers, and there is a link betwen the two, then it explains how the gene survives.

VERY interestingly, research also shows that the parents of those with schizophrenia generally have high reproductive levels.

GAD, I love this stuff!!!!! Soooo freaking interesting!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I'm sorry to hear about the misdiagnosis and everything that went along with it. It's quite obvious, at least from this view, that you're just fine.

High functioning autistic people love to reproduce. I think thats because their make up is closer to the bone, if you will, meaning a bit more primal.

Evolutionarily speaking, It's difficult to say that anything continues to exist for any reason other than survival of the species. The question is whether or not art is a better survival technique than aggressive behavior. We know that humans have the most survival tools and skills than any other species to date. Is that due to our aggressive behavior to eliminate and control other species or is it due to creativity to a greater degree? Its a debate that is going on in some quarters. Perhaps both are accurate.

I linked the following site earlier, but here it is again. Its super interesting and right up your ally I think.

Human evolution theory founded on female sexual selection and neoteny addressing autism, female infanticide, biological and cultural evolution.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

Fantastic site - thanks for the link.

I think you're right - both contribute, in different ways, I would say that aggression would contribute to the continuation of that gene, through natural selection (ability to get food through dominance) however creativity is definitely sexual selection, in that it increases your attractiveness to other people, and gives you an increased choice of partners.

Interestinly, since there is a 'big' time lag in most evolutionary characteristics (is aggression still really useful to us?) we may find (well, we won't but future generations may) that aggressive behaviour becomes lessened.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Elvira;1271200 wrote: Fantastic site - thanks for the link.

I think you're right - both contribute, in different ways, I would say that aggression would contribute to the continuation of that gene, through natural selection (ability to get food through dominance) however creativity is definitely sexual selection, in that it increases your attractiveness to other people, and gives you an increased choice of partners.

Interestinly, since there is a 'big' time lag in most evolutionary characteristics (is aggression still really useful to us?) we may find (well, we won't but future generations may) that aggressive behaviour becomes lessened.Well, researchers such as Simon Baron-Cohen and Andrew Lehman believe that your last sentence may be quite accurate and believe that, as you will find out as you read more on both of their findings and thoughts, evolution can actually occur in some area's quite quickly.

Reading David Sloan Wilson's excellent book Evolution for everyone and watching this talk lecture video of the same name really throws an interesting light on the entire idea of evolutionary thinking.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Health Wellness”