Ind. teen charged with strangling brother, 10

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

INDIANAPOLIS – An Indiana 17-year-old who told authorities he identified with a television serial killer said strangling his 10-year-old brother satisfied a craving like a hungry person eating a hamburger, according to court documents.

Andrew Conley of Rising Sun showed no remorse or emotion as he described choking to death Conner Conley as the two wrestled Sunday, a probable cause affidavit said. He told investigators the child's last words were "Andrew, stop."

Conley said he dragged his brother's body to his car before driving to see his girlfriend, who told investigators the teen "seemed happy, more happy than she had seen him in a while," according to the affidavit. Conley said he dumped the body near a park in the Ohio River community about 90 miles southeast of Indianapolis.

Story Link: Ind. teen charged with strangling brother, 10 - Yahoo! News
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

And the television show "Dexter" can be credited to the people that found it interesting to read Jeff Lindsay's series of Dexter novels.

The show is based on characters created by Jeff Lindsay for his series of Dexter novels.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_%28TV_series%29

I don't believe films and video games is the cause at all. I think films and video games are just what provokes the inevitable. Who's to say without these films and video games that these people continue to suppress this sickening fascination to the point they explode on a much greater scale?

All I want to know is why anyone is interested in watching television shows that depict serial killers and "The Sopranos" is one of them! I quite simply don't get it
G-man

Post by G-man »

I've been following this story, too. There's certainly more to it than him witnessing violence on various media... it's more likely that he was abused at some point. I also noticed that the kid was a red-head. ;)

I certainly don't believe that the kid is simply "evil". I hate when the press puts ridiculous comments like that in their report. I know that some people have certain traits and there is such a thing as a serial-killer profile, but having a profile like that doesn't mean that a person fitting such a profile will murder or can't be helped. The kid is intelligent and I believe there's a lot going on inside him.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

The kid deserves to rot in prison for life and such would be what I'd personally demand had I the power

Therefor, I personally could care less about the kid and what's "inside him" because would be completely and wholeheartedly irrelevant from the time the damn cell door slammed shut
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1269461 wrote: The kid deserves to rot in prison for life and such would be what I'd personally demand had I the power

Therefor, I personally could care less about the kid and what's "inside him" because would be completely and wholeheartedly irrelevant from the time the damn cell door slammed shutPlaying the devils advocate here, Snyder?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1269429 wrote: And the television show "Dexter" can be credited to the people that found it interesting to read Jeff Lindsay's series of Dexter novels.

Dexter (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't believe films and video games is the cause at all. I think films and video games are just what provokes the inevitable. Who's to say without these films and video games that these people continue to suppress this sickening fascination to the point they explode on a much greater scale?

All I want to know is why anyone is interested in watching television shows that depict serial killers and "The Sopranos" is one of them! I quite simply don't get itProbably because they can relate to the feelings Dexter acts on.

Some questions that are asked for the purposes of psychological evaluation are: 1) do you scheme at taking revenge? 2) Do you think about laying traps?

Most of us actually do experience these feelings and thoughts but rarely admit it, but that is exactly what Dexter does and millions of Americans are glued to the set to watch this show every Sunday evening. Tells us something about us.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1269516 wrote: Playing the devils advocate here, Snyder?

If you consider the devil to be compassionate enough to keep a monster from "Like I had to ... like when people have something like they are hungry and there is a hamburger sitting there and they knew they had to have it and I was sitting there and it just happened," in response to choking it's 10 year old brother to death because "The teen told investigators he had had fantasies about killing someone since he was in eighth grade, including cutting somebody's throat, and felt "just like" the serial killer Dexter on the Showtime television series of the same name" then I'd say yes I am while emphasizing the fact you're worshiping the wrong God.

You're devil is my God.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1269519 wrote: Tells us something about us.

It does does it not?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1269522 wrote: If you consider the devil to be compassionate enough to keep a monster from "Like I had to ... like when people have something like they are hungry and there is a hamburger sitting there and they knew they had to have it and I was sitting there and it just happened," in response to choking it's 10 year old brother to death because "The teen told investigators he had had fantasies about killing someone since he was in eighth grade, including cutting somebody's throat, and felt "just like" the serial killer Dexter on the Showtime television series of the same name" then I'd say yes I am while emphasizing the fact you're worshiping the wrong God.

You're devil is my God.It really was a simple yes or no question.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1269529 wrote: It really was a simple yes or no question.

No it wasn't "a simple yes or no question" because your definition of "devil" isn't the same as mine. How do you get "a simple yes or no" answer out of my not agreeing with your definition of "devil"?

I'd answered as pragmatically as I possibly could given the lack of definition in your question.

You'd implied that this kid should be treated and released. Care to answer as to why you feel that way?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1269541 wrote: No it wasn't "a simple yes or no question" because your definition of "devil" isn't the same as mine. How do you get "a simple yes or no" answer out of my not agreeing with your definition of "devil"?

I'd answered as pragmatically as I possibly could given the lack of definition in your question.

You'd implied that this kid should be treated and released. Care to answer as to why you feel that way?I never made any statement either way, KS. I think you're confusing your demons with mine...or perhaps not conflating enough...I'm getting confused...You do that you know, confuse people.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1269545 wrote: I never made any statement either way, KS. I think you're confusing your demons with mine...or perhaps not conflating enough...I'm getting confused...You do that you know, confuse people.

Well when you use the term "devils advocate" you imply I'm arguing on the side of "the devil" from which from a majority standpoint:thinking: "the devil" is regarded as very bad. Because of this "Playing the devils advocate here, Snyder?" in response to K.Snyder wrote: The kid deserves to rot in prison for life and such would be what I'd personally demand had I the power implies quite clearly you disagree with my position specifically
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1269551 wrote: Well when you use the term "devils advocate" you imply I'm arguing on the side of "the devil" from which from a majority standpoint:thinking: "the devil" is regarded as very bad. Because of this "Playing the devils advocate here, Snyder?" in response to implies quite clearly you disagree with my position specificallyBy devils advocate I meant an opposing view.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

This is the most telling statment the lovely child made. Disturbed yes, needs help yes, will he do it again no matter how much therapy he has yes. That is a fact and shouldn't be overlooked. If this lovely child gets out in say 25 years mark my word he will be in the news again for killing. We will say well we thought he was cured. You don't cure this kind of disturbed mental state whatever caused it is for the rest of his life. IMHO..

[QUOTE]"The teen told investigators he had had fantasies about killing someone since he was in eighth grade, including cutting somebody's throat, and felt "just like" the serial killer Dexter on the Showtime television series of the same name" [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

CARLA;1269567 wrote: This is the most telling statment the lovely child made. Disturbed yes, needs help yes, will he do it again no matter how much therapy he has yes. That is a fact and shouldn't be overlooked. If this lovely child gets out in say 25 years mark my word he will be in the news again for killing. We will say well we thought he was cured. You don't cure this kind of disturbed mental state whatever caused it is for the rest of his life. IMHO..Are you saying its a neurological disorder that is beyond treatment, Carla?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1269561 wrote: By devils advocate I meant an opposing view.

Yes, that's what I'd said.

An opposing view to my suggestion K.Snyder wrote: The kid deserves to rot in prison for life and such would be what I'd personally demand had I the power

Why would anyone be against that?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1269575 wrote: Are you saying its a neurological disorder that is beyond treatment, Carla?

How do you treat Andrew Conley - "it just happened" when speaking of murdering a 10 year old boy?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1269582 wrote: Yes, that's what I'd said.

An opposing view to my suggestion

Why would anyone be against that?I didn't finish. It's an opposing view strictly for the purpose of opposing another persons view.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1269585 wrote: I didn't finish. It's an opposing view strictly for the purpose of opposing another persons view.

Now that I know your definition of "devil's advocate" I can comfortably tell you no I'm not playing devil's advocate.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1269589 wrote: Now that I know your definition of "devil's advocate" I can comfortably tell you no I'm not playing devil's advocate.Glad we finally got that straightened out.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Yes neurological, physical, the damage is done IMHO he will revert back to this behavior in the future in some fashion if given the opportunity. He killed because he wanted to not because he was defending himself but for pleasure to achieve a feeling or a desire he longed for, he will long for it again.

[QUOTE]Are you saying its a neurological disorder that is beyond treatment, Carla?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

CARLA;1269597 wrote: Yes neurological, physical, the damage is done IMHO he will revert back to this behavior in the future in some fashion if given the opportunity. He killed because he wanted to not because he was defending himself but for pleasure to achieve a feeling or a desire he longed for, he will long for it again.No meds available for this kind of person?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Could be but how long will they keep the urge away, how long before he becomes resistant to the drugs how long? For me this is a specific kinds of killer that enjoys what he did no matter how medicated he is he most likely will find a way to achieve the thrill again.

[QUOTE]No meds available for this kind of person?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

CARLA;1269602 wrote: Could be but how long will they keep the urge away, how long before he becomes resistant to the drugs how long? For me this is a specific kinds of killer that enjoys what he did no matter how medicated he is he most likely will find a way to achieve the thrill again.Would you still have this opinion had he shown remorse?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1269592 wrote: Glad we finally got that straightened out.

When applying the definition of "advocate" with "devil" singularly it reads

"preach: speak, plead, or argue in favor of" the devil.

I find confusion "to be rather coarse and vulgar".
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Good question Yes I would still have the same opinion. He may show remorse but does he truly feel it not sure he will. Quote from killer "Like I had to ... like when people have something like they are hungry and there is a hamburger sitting there and they knew they had to have it and I was sitting there and it just happened,"

With the body still in the trunk, Conley drove to his girlfriend's house and gave her a sweetheart ring. That thrill and euphoria and enjoyment of what he did.

[QUOTE]Would you still have this opinion had he shown remorse?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

*Update*

Teen accused of killing bro was pulled from school

INDIANAPOLIS -The parents of an Indiana teen accused of strangling his 10-year-old brother to satisfy a craving to kill pulled the teen out of high school out two weeks before the killing, a school district official said Friday.

Andrew Conley's parents withdrew him from Rising Sun High School on Nov. 16 — 12 days before prosecutors said he strangled his brother Conner, said Stephen Patz, the superintendent of Rising Sun-Ohio County Community Schools.

Patz declined to state the reasons for the withdrawal, but said both Conley brothers were good students.

"Andrew was a good student, he had friends, he didn't have discipline problems. And the same thing for Conner," he said. "I think that's what makes it difficult for the community, the staff, the students, everyone, to try and come to grips with the situation."

Andrew Conley was scheduled to be arraigned later Friday on an adult charge of murder in his brother's death. His attorney, Gary Sorge of Lawrenceburg, declined to comment about the case through his office receptionist.

Full Story: Teen accused of killing bro was pulled from school
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Jazzy;1269627 wrote: *Update*

Teen accused of killing bro was pulled from school

INDIANAPOLIS -The parents of an Indiana teen accused of strangling his 10-year-old brother to satisfy a craving to kill pulled the teen out of high school out two weeks before the killing, a school district official said Friday.

Andrew Conley's parents withdrew him from Rising Sun High School on Nov. 16 — 12 days before prosecutors said he strangled his brother Conner, said Stephen Patz, the superintendent of Rising Sun-Ohio County Community Schools.

Patz declined to state the reasons for the withdrawal, but said both Conley brothers were good students.

"Andrew was a good student, he had friends, he didn't have discipline problems. And the same thing for Conner," he said. "I think that's what makes it difficult for the community, the staff, the students, everyone, to try and come to grips with the situation."

Andrew Conley was scheduled to be arraigned later Friday on an adult charge of murder in his brother's death. His attorney, Gary Sorge of Lawrenceburg, declined to comment about the case through his office receptionist.

Full Story: Teen accused of killing bro was pulled from schoolOh boy, I can hear it now. Its because his parents decided to home school the kid.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
G-man

Post by G-man »

This is Indiana, but it's southern Indiana... :wah:

A.E. Van Vogt believed that the most violent type of man was a type of man he referred to as The Right Man, because such a man can never admit that he could ever be wrong. Anyone familiar with this might find some comments a bit disturbing in this thread. :wah:

I believe that the thoughts, urges and fantasies this kid admitted to having, aren't all that unique for humans. In fact, I believe that they are rather common. What is unique, is that this obviously disturbed individual's reacting to those urges. I can't say that this kid can be rehabilitated beyond a doubt

(none of us can say either way... "Right Men/Women" might disagree, however :p ), but I do believe that it is possible. Absolutely.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

G-man;1269869 wrote: This is Indiana, but it's southern Indiana... :wah:

A.E. Van Vogt believed that the most violent type of man was a type of man he referred to as The Right Man, because such a man can never admit that he could ever be wrong. Anyone familiar with this might find some comments a bit disturbing in this thread. :wah:

I believe that the thoughts, urges and fantasies this kid admitted to having, aren't all that unique for humans. In fact, I believe that they are rather common. What is unique, is that this obviously disturbed individual's reacting to those urges. I can't say that this kid can be rehabilitated beyond a doubt

(none of us can say either way... "Right Men/Women" might disagree, however :p ), but I do believe that it is possible. Absolutely.

I've never once had fantasies of murdering anyone and is even more so logarithmically true when specifics such as "cutting somebody's throat" is suggested as "reasonable""urges". Not at least on a serious note.

I've never contemplated chopping the Popes head off during the canonizing of "saints" merely to invoke a reaction but now that I do I admit I find it humorous!

I suppose I'm a freakin alien I guess
koan

Post by koan »

K.Snyder;1269605 wrote: When applying the definition of "advocate" with "devil" singularly it reads

"preach: speak, plead, or argue in favor of" the devil.

I find confusion "to be rather coarse and vulgar".

It doesn't read that way if you know what the term means, K.

Devil's advocate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In common parlance, a devil's advocate is someone who takes a position he or she does not agree with for the sake of argument. This process can be used to test the quality of the original argument and identify weaknesses in its structure.

He had every reason to expect that you were familiar with the term.

Glad you two sorted it out.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

koan;1269898 wrote: It doesn't read that way if you know what the term means, K.

Devil's advocate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In common parlance, a devil's advocate is someone who takes a position he or she does not agree with for the sake of argument. This process can be used to test the quality of the original argument and identify weaknesses in its structure.

He had every reason to expect that you were familiar with the term.

Glad you two sorted it out.

"This process can be used to test the quality of the original argument and identify weaknesses in its structure" I find to be inappropriate when applied to "An Indiana 17-year-old who told authorities he identified with a television serial killer said strangling his 10-year-old brother satisfied a craving like a hungry person eating a hamburger, according to court documents" so you'll forgive me if I cannot for the life of me see how anyone would opposeK.Snyder;1269461 wrote: The kid deserves to rot in prison for life and such would be what I'd personally demand had I the power

Therefor, I personally could care less about the kid and what's "inside him" because would be completely and wholeheartedly irrelevant from the time the damn cell door slammed shut Hence why anyone with an ounce of compassion wouldn't have understood his definition of "devils advocate" in response to the latter referenced

Return to “Crimes Trials”