Kids should get moving to avoid obesity

All items relating to Healthcare: Medical insurance, company policies, insurance coverage, policy costs, and more!
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) – Vigorous exercise may be an especially good way to keep kids lean, but sitting around, in and of itself, doesn't appear to have a major role in making them fat, new research shows.

Nevertheless, there are still plenty of reasons to avoid too much sedentary "screen time," Dr. Ulf Ekelund of the MRC Epidemiology Unit in Cambridge, UK and colleagues say, given potential negatives including "violence and aggressive behavior, poor academic performance, and poor body image."

Story Link: Kids should get moving to avoid obesity - Yahoo! News
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

How incredibly fitting
Odie

Post by Odie »

I agree they should get fit, but its also up to the parents to stop feeding them junk food and giving them money for it.
Life is just to short for drama.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Odie;1269455 wrote: I agree they should get fit, but its also up to the parents to stop feeding them junk food and giving them money for it.Ahso!, Odie. Obesity is caused by what one consumes and not by how active he or she is.

Don't get me wrong, any physical activity is beneficial to some degree, but its a bogus argument that lack thereof is the cause of "fat" people.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Some really are naturally fat. All of us benefit from exercise, and most of us can keep our weight under control that way. But it's all too easy to slob in front of the screen...(guilt).

I have an ex-rugby-playing friend who was a big lad and very fit. Now he's middle aged, as he puts it his chest and thighs have migrated to his tummy. He's just big and if he loses weight he's miserable. We all prefer him spherical and happy ather than oval and not.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Clodhopper;1269478 wrote: Some really are naturally fat. All of us benefit from exercise, and most of us can keep our weight under control that way. But it's all too easy to slob in front of the screen...(guilt).

I have an ex-rugby-playing friend who was a big lad and very fit. Now he's middle aged, as he puts it his chest and thighs have migrated to his tummy. He's just big and if he loses weight he's miserable. We all prefer him spherical and happy ather than oval and not.It certainly has seemed at least to me that many people who have been very heavily active in competitive sports do grow more heavy physically in later years. the question for me is: are there genes that drive physical activities in some? And if so, are those same genes also identifiable in obesity. Many genes do seem to have multiple functions. Or: Does over-activity cause hunger to increase later on?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1269501 wrote: It certainly has seemed at least to me that many people who have been very heavily active in competitive sports do grow more heavy physically in later years. the question for me is: are there genes that drive physical activities in some? And if so, are those same genes also identifiable in obesity. Many genes do seem to have multiple functions. Or: Does over-activity cause hunger to increase later on?

Any activity causes hunger, because people burn more calories and as doing so makes them need more food.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1269510 wrote: Any activity causes hunger, because people burn more calories and as doing so makes them need more food.I thought what I had expressed was whether or not that in itself had long lasting effects or were these particular people predisposed to it? But thanks for the response.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1269512 wrote: I thought what I had expressed was whether or not that in itself had long lasting effects or were these particular people predisposed to it? But thanks for the response.

Your answer lies in your observations. One would ultimately have to be predisposed to the long lasting effects because anything else would be defined as weight loss, specifically.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

K.Snyder;1269557 wrote: Your answer lies in your observations. One would ultimately have to be predisposed to the long lasting effects because anything else would be defined as weight loss, specifically.Oh my!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1269560 wrote: Oh my!

I thought it was rather funny to be quite honest with you
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1269501 wrote: It certainly has seemed at least to me that many people who have been very heavily active in competitive sports do grow more heavy physically in later years. the question for me is: are there genes that drive physical activities in some? And if so, are those same genes also identifiable in obesity. Many genes do seem to have multiple functions. Or: Does over-activity cause hunger to increase later on?
I was very active when young (all the sports) wrestled in college, stayed very active for years. Not so active now and still in pretty decent shape. Pisses off my friends who have to constantly work out to keep them from gaining weight. Some people just don't seem to get fat no matter how much they consume.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Ahso!;1269465 wrote: Ahso!, Odie. Obesity is caused by what one consumes and not by how active he or she is.

Don't get me wrong, any physical activity is beneficial to some degree, but its a bogus argument that lack thereof is the cause of "fat" people.

I just said that, they eat way to much junk food.

You have to do both to loose weight.

exercise is always good.
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Healthcare”