Black Friday

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
chonsigirl

Black Friday

Post by chonsigirl »

Who participates in this free for all of sales, lure of good prices, and not a parking space in the lot?

I'm off to the garage for a regular service check up, I'm going nowhere near those malls!
Ahso!

Black Friday

Post by Ahso! »

Not my cup of tea either. Though i didn't check any options because I don't hate the crowds, I'm just not comfortable in them much of the time.

It's okay when shopping is leisurely, but on black Friday it's a job and becomes difficult to enjoy people when they're so focused on shopping.

Stuffy!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Black Friday

Post by spot »

Free for all sounds rather altruistic, Chonsi. It's a give-away? People needn't take their purses?

Or is this unfettered consumerism in disguise?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Black Friday

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1266682 wrote: Free for all sounds rather altruistic, Chonsi. It's a give-away? People needn't take their purses?

Or is this unfettered consumerism in disguise?Free-for-all in this sense means freedom to have at it, Spot.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Black Friday

Post by spot »

Robert J;1266684 wrote: Free-for-all in this sense means freedom to have at it, Spot.

Not about scrapping money and inculcating a societal spirit of take what you need for as long as you need it, not just what you fancy, then? I misunderstood the thread, I got all excited there for a minute or two. I'll stand back and learn about local customs then.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Black Friday

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1266685 wrote: Not about scrapping money and inculcating a societal spirit of take what you need for as long as you need it, not just what you fancy, then? I misunderstood the thread, I got all excited there for a minute or two. I'll stand back and learn about local customs then.No, No! Its all about that too, it just depends on perspective. I was only offering what i thought Chonsi meant by her choice of wording. Its common speak here.

Definitely contribute to the thread. At least I think you should.

Don't forget, we Americans have been given the idea that money is in abundant supply. We just create it out of thin air for any reason whatsoever.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Peg

Black Friday

Post by Peg »

I've never liked to shop and there is no how, no way, I will go near a store today. A WalMart worker in New York got trampled to death by the crowd last year. The merchandise is on sale, most likely a very limited supply, and just not worth fighting the crowds to me. I'd probably end up hurting someone when they rammed me with their shopping cart. :yh_rotfl
chonsigirl

Black Friday

Post by chonsigirl »

Back already from the garage, the men charmed into giving me a fast ride home while they work on the car. :)

Spot, it is consumerism in disguise. Limited quantities of items at low prices. And RJ's point that they can shop 'till the drop, charging all the way, is how many do it. A silly thing to do in these times.

And yes, who can forgot the poor man who was trampled to death by crowds. A sad statement in itself, on where are our values.
Ahso!

Black Friday

Post by Ahso! »

chonsigirl;1266696 wrote: Back already from the garage, the men charmed into giving me a fast ride home while they work on the car. :)

Spot, it is consumerism in disguise. Limited quantities of items at low prices. And RJ's point that they can shop 'till the drop, charging all the way, is how many do it. A silly thing to do in these times.

And yes, who can forgot the poor man who was trampled to death by crowds. A sad statement in itself, on where are our values.They are values nonetheless! No one can say we don't have values...or seek them for that matter.:)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Mustang

Black Friday

Post by Mustang »

Nope, not me! We did the black Friday thing a few years ago and won't do it again. People were crazy, ripping merchandise right out of your hands. :rolleyes: And the check out lines were rediculous. Once in a lifetime is enough for me.
flopstock

Black Friday

Post by flopstock »

:DI'm off to work - we have that second wave of flyers to get into the hands of the shoppers, don't ya know........:sneaky::wah:

Me? Never in a millinion years! I order most stuff online already, why put myself through that misery? And all the folks out with colds, flus and assorted whatnots! Yikes!

no thanks
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

hoppy

Black Friday

Post by hoppy »

These days, I tend to avoid people as much as possible. I shop online except for grub. Then I have to go out and deal with the incompetent moronic public.:p
qsducks

Black Friday

Post by qsducks »

Did online shopping last night @ AE for myself w/free shipping & 25% off & then hit up Old Navy this morning online & also with free shipping & everything was on sale. Do have to go out later & get stuff but thats at the local thrift store.:)
Odie

Black Friday

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1266679 wrote: Who participates in this free for all of sales, lure of good prices, and not a parking space in the lot?

I'm off to the garage for a regular service check up, I'm going nowhere near those malls!

I won't vote and screw it up for you, as I don't live in the US as you know.

We have the same thing here in Canada, only its on Boxing day, a holiday right after Christmas Day and my answer is no, no and more no!:yh_rotfl:-5:-5

most offer 60 - 80% off!

Future Shop and Best Buy open at 6am, just to give you a few, people are in line from 4 am, all stores have major sales and after Christmas is a great time as lots get money and gift certificates....

...no refunds or exchanges aloud on Christmas gifts that day!:yh_rotfl..........way to busy!

parking lots? forget it, don't even try.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:-5:-5

...........not mine, yours!
Life is just to short for drama.
minks

Black Friday

Post by minks »

Odie;1266726 wrote: I won't vote and screw it up for you, as I don't live in the US

We have the same thing here, only on Boxing day, a holiday right after Christmas Day and my answer is no, no and more no!:yh_rotfl:-5:-5

most offer 60 - 80% off!

Future Shop and Best Buy open at 6am, just to give you a few, people are in line from 4 am, all stores have major sales and after Christmas is a great time as lots get money and gift certificates....

...no refunds or exchanges on Christmas gifts that day!:yh_rotfl...just way to busy!

parking lots? forget it, don't even try.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:-5:-5

and also here in the west maybe same over there for you Odiekins, we have boxing week sales so we don't have to rush out and do it all in one day. I however steer clear. I find a lot of what is on sale is typical clearance items and meh if I didn't get it over the couse of the year, I likely don't need it... oh wait... I detest shopping would rather poke myself in the eye with a fork hehehe

I didn't vote either for same reason as Odiepooh
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Odie

Black Friday

Post by Odie »

minks;1266728 wrote: and also here in the west maybe same over there for you Odiekins, we have boxing week sales so we don't have to rush out and do it all in one day. I however steer clear. I find a lot of what is on sale is typical clearance items and meh if I didn't get it over the couse of the year, I likely don't need it... oh wait... I detest shopping would rather poke myself in the eye with a fork hehehe

I didn't vote either for same reason as Odiepooh

same thing here to Minks, boxing day sales for a week, but ones who love t.v's etc..are there at those stores at 4am as boxing day is the only day they open that early, yours to?

I did buy 150 boxed Christmas cards for .50 cents last year....so that was amazing.

but I also need them.

otherwise honestly.....I just don't have the money after spending for Christmas.:-5

oh to cool, you never voted either, us Canadians are intelligent eh?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Jazzy

Black Friday

Post by Jazzy »

There is no way in heck I would go near a mall today! We have several large malls and people camp out in the parking lots and in front of the doors to the stores starting at midnight on Thursday. I just heard on the radio that there was a huge fight in the parking lot over a parking space and the police had to be called out. Nope, I will just sit home and let the others battle it out :wah:
Odie

Black Friday

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1266731 wrote: There is no way in heck I would go near a mall today! We have several large malls and people camp out in the parking lots and in front of the doors to the stores starting at midnight on Thursday. I just heard on the radio that there was a huge fight in the parking lot over a parking space and the police had to be called out. Nope, I will just sit home and let the others battle it out :wah:

I'm with you there Jazzy, we have ours boxing day, and no way!:-5

oh that's right, some people do camp out over night here to.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

yup.....watch and let them battle!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
hoppy

Black Friday

Post by hoppy »

Just came in from wandering around our downtown area. Nary any traffic at all, and it's Friday. Everyone must be out to our mall and big box stores at the edge of town.
CARLA

Black Friday

Post by CARLA »

Not a chance do all my shopping online. Most of the online site will offer free shipping during the holiday's so why should I waste gas. :driving:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Black Friday

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1266745 wrote: Just came in from wandering around our downtown area. Nary any traffic at all, and it's Friday. Everyone must be out to our mall and big box stores at the edge of town.

idiots!:yh_rotfl
AussiePam

Black Friday

Post by AussiePam »

It's Boxing Day sales here in Australia, and I went along with a girlfriend once, years ago. It was totally fascinating. I was so caught up people watching, I forgot to even try to buy anything.

However - if you really need a refrigerator, and can't afford the usual markups, and do your research properly and find one at 1/4 price, and are prepared to wait, rush, kill if necessary for that refrigerator - getting in there may be an excellent day's work.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

cars

Black Friday

Post by cars »

Voted NO!

I don't need to almost take my life in my hands just to try to get a bargin! There are many other times of the year where the stores have giangantic sales, so . . . . .
Cars :)
Ahso!

Black Friday

Post by Ahso! »

cars;1266892 wrote: Voted NO!

I don't need to almost take my life in my hands just to try to get a bargin! There are many other times of the year where the stores have giangantic sales, so . . . . . just about everyday in fact.

The shopping frenzy is an interesting phenomena. It causes me to think it's a show of nationalism by the less affluent doing their part to try and secure the future of American culture.

Why people look down on this demographic of our population is beyond me. The marketing industry certainly understands and appreciates their influence and power.

Fact is that no matter how much of a disappointment this holiday shopping season ends up being it will do more for this ailing economy than all the government infusion total.

The question of course is whether or not thats a good thing or a bad thing!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
G-man

Black Friday

Post by G-man »

I know better than to subject myself to that... I'd end up killing someone! :wah:

I got better deals online... I got a Wii for half price, a Sony Blue-Ray player for 75% off and a bunch of Blue-Ray disks for $9! :D I'm gonna' wait until Cyber Monday to see what else I can get a good deal on.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

qsducks

Black Friday

Post by qsducks »

G-man;1266900 wrote: I know better than to subject myself to that... I'd end up killing someone! :wah:

I got better deals online... I got a Wii for half price, a Sony Blue-Ray player for 75% off and a bunch of Blue-Ray disks for $9! :D I'm gonna' wait until Cyber Monday to see what else I can get a good deal on.

Yeah, I already have notices in my email about cyber Monday...although I want to take advantage of the candle sales at Yankee @ their store...no free shipping:mad:
Ahso!

Black Friday

Post by Ahso! »

g-man;1266900 wrote: i know better than to subject myself to that... I'd end up killing someone! :wah:

I got better deals online... I got a wii for half price, a sony blue-ray player for 75% off and a bunch of blue-ray disks for $9! :d i'm gonna' wait until cyber monday to see what else i can get a good deal on.lol!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Black Friday

Post by Ahso! »

qsducks;1266901 wrote: Yeah, I already have notices in my email about cyber Monday...although I want to take advantage of the candle sales at Yankee @ their store...no free shipping:mad:Walmart candles are just as good as Yankee.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Odie

Black Friday

Post by Odie »

G-man;1266900 wrote: I know better than to subject myself to that... I'd end up killing someone! :wah:

BLUE-RAY MOVIES FOR $9.00

now you tell me.:sneaky::yh_rotfl
qsducks

Black Friday

Post by qsducks »

Robert J;1266903 wrote: Walmart candles are just as good as Yankee.

I don't shop Walmart at all...the one we have all the associates are the rudest peeps.:-5
Odie

Black Friday

Post by Odie »

Robert J;1266903 wrote: Walmart candles are just as good as Yankee.

I agree, I have bought quite a few over the years with just an amazing aroma...and at least less than half the amount than Yankee.

I`m actually there a lot as their prices are great...I go around 10 am.....no crowds..they finally have a grocery section at mine, can`t believe what their prices are......:-6
Ahso!

Black Friday

Post by Ahso! »

Odie;1266911 wrote: I agree, I have bought quite a few over the years with just an amazing aroma...and at least less than half the amount than Yankee.

I`m actually there a lot as their prices are great...I go around 10 am.....no crowds..they finally have a grocery section at mine, can`t believe what their prices are......:-6Walmart is just as inexpensive as anyone online and you don't to wait for shipping time and you can return at almost anytime for as long as you own it. Nothing wrong with that.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
G-man

Black Friday

Post by G-man »

Odie;1266905 wrote:

BLUE-RAY MOVIES FOR $9.00

now you tell me.:sneaky::yh_rotfl
Only in America! :D You won't get a deal like that up there on that sheet of ice.

qsducks;1266908 wrote: I don't shop Walmart at all...the one we have all the associates are the rudest peeps.:-5
You would be rude, too, if you had to work retail! :yh_rotfl

Odie;1266911 wrote: I agree, I have bought quite a few over the years with just an amazing aroma...and at least less than half the amount than Yankee.

I`m actually there a lot as their prices are great...I go around 10 am.....no crowds..they finally have a grocery section at mine, can`t believe what their prices are......:-6
I've tested Yankee and have said it before... Yankee candles aren't all that great. You're paying for the name and the extensive variety that they offer consumers.

Robert J;1266912 wrote: Walmart is just as inexpensive as anyone online and you don't to wait for shipping time and you can return at almost anytime for as long as you own it. Nothing wrong with that.
I've noticed that since they got involved in that price war with Amazon, Walmarts prices have been competetive with Amazon. Now if only Walmart can offer a better selection in their stores and actually keep items in stock that are on display on the floor.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

qsducks

Black Friday

Post by qsducks »

G-man;1266913 wrote: Only in America! :D You won't get a deal like that up there on that sheet of ice.

I've tested Yankee and have said it before... Yankee candles aren't all that great. You're paying for the name and the extensive variety that they offer consumers.

I've noticed that since they got involved in that price war with Amazon, Walmarts prices have been competetive with Amazon. Now if only Walmart can offer a better selection in their stores and actually keep items in stock that are on display on the floor.

My choice & I prefer Yankee over walmart any day... Ah hah, Target is finally going after walmart...now there is a store I love...i'll take Target anyday over walfart
Odie

Black Friday

Post by Odie »

G-man;1266913 wrote: Only in America! :D You won't get a deal like that up there on that sheet of ice.

ohhhhhh thems are fighting words, a sheet of ice!:-5:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I worked as a cashier at Home Depot and loved it.:sneaky::yh_rotfl
Nomad

Black Friday

Post by Nomad »

Where did you get blu rays for 9 clams?
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “General Chit Chat”