Home security idea

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Lon

Home security idea

Post by Lon »

What to take to bed with you - not a joke

(Pretty neat idea... Never thought of it before.)

PUT YOUR CAR KEYS BESIDE YOUR BED AT NIGHT ! Why? Read on........

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, etc.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this:

It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around... After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough, the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there ...... This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.
sharedfastlane

Home security idea

Post by sharedfastlane »

Hmmm, scary thought, but Good Idea!!
Odie

Home security idea

Post by Odie »

no one pays attention to vehicle security alarms here, they go off all the time by accident.

some cars are highly sensitive, you can't bypass the car in your driveway or it goes off.

My own neighbors sons car is like that....how annoying it is to hear his alarm at 5am when my bedroom window is open.:-5

and in large malls here or even Wal-Mart, people press the panic key to find their car.

between that noise and everyone locking their car automatically, no one pays attention.

I still like my 3 signs 'BEWARE OF DOG,' cost me 10.00 and it works.;)
Life is just to short for drama.
Betty Boop

Home security idea

Post by Betty Boop »

I don't think we have 'panic' buttons on our keys here, must be an american thing. Even if we did no one would take any notice as no one looks when a car alarm goes off anyway. They are nothing but a noise nuisance here and most new cars are fitted with immobilisers instead of alarms.
Nomad

Home security idea

Post by Nomad »

That is a great idea.

This might be more fun though.

I AM AWESOME MAN
Lon

Home security idea

Post by Lon »

I guess you have to live in the U.S. to get this idea. Your car is in the garage, you are in bed, you hear what you think is someone in your house or garage and you press your car key auto alarm WHICH YOU HAVE ON YOUR NIGHT STAND, it's three AM , the alarm goes off, scares away potential threat. You are not at the Mall, or a parking lot, or the beach. GET IT???
Odie

Home security idea

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1266072 wrote: That is a great idea.

This might be more fun though.

with 4 cats?:yh_rotfl

They now have alarms, instead of an alarm going off, it barks...its a real dog barking.

and their cheap.

I just can't see me with one, every time is barks, the cats would go nutso!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl,
Betty Boop

Home security idea

Post by Betty Boop »

Lon;1266082 wrote: I guess you have to live in the U.S. to get this idea. Your car is in the garage, you are in bed, you hear what you think is someone in your house or garage and you press your car key auto alarm WHICH YOU HAVE ON YOUR NIGHT STAND, it's three AM , the alarm goes off, scares away potential threat. You are not at the Mall, or a parking lot, or the beach. GET IT???

I get the idea Lon, we just don't have this magic button you speak of :wah:

Wow, can you imagine living next door to a really nervous person...

'Morning neighbour, sorry about the car alarm going off 20 times last night but I could have sworn I kept hearing a bang'

Dogs, that's the answer I think.
Barman

Home security idea

Post by Barman »

Betty is correct, we do not have the function you speak of, just an arm and disarm alarm and immobiliser.

Never heard of such a thing but a great idea all the same.
Odie

Home security idea

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1266087 wrote: I get the idea Lon, we just don't have this magic button you speak of :wah:

'Morning neighbour, sorry about the car alarm going off 20 times last night but I could have sworn I kept hearing a bang'

must be a Canadian thing eh?:yh_rotfl

panic buttons are great when you can't remember where you parked your car.:yh_rotfl
Nomad

Home security idea

Post by Nomad »

I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Home security idea

Post by Odie »

nomad;1266098 wrote:

sold!
ZAP

Home security idea

Post by ZAP »

Lon;1266082 wrote: I guess you have to live in the U.S. to get this idea. Your car is in the garage, you are in bed, you hear what you think is someone in your house or garage and you press your car key auto alarm WHICH YOU HAVE ON YOUR NIGHT STAND, it's three AM , the alarm goes off, scares away potential threat. You are not at the Mall, or a parking lot, or the beach. GET IT???

I'd heard that before and it IS a great idea! I live in a rather remote area, alone, and if I hit 911 on my phone and give the cops enough time to get here, I could be robbed or dead already. If I hit the button on my remote it just might scare off the intruder. My neighbors are close enough they could hear the alarm.
Jazzy

Home security idea

Post by Jazzy »

I think it's a great tip for people who have cars alarms and live in a neighborhood where neighbors would even bother to look and see what was happening. I live on a 23 wooded acre lot with no neighbors for miles. I have my own security alarm system and their names are Lexie and Louie. They are my two Miniature Pinschers and they let me know if a person is even out on the road just driving by :yh_rotfl I also have several "Attack Dog On Premise" signs in certain windows. I have never had a problem and when they bark, you would never know that they are small dogs.
Nomad

Home security idea

Post by Nomad »

Odie;1266229 wrote: sold!

Like Akitas?

Pretty amazing animals. I hired one for 2 weeks as a guard dog when I was selling fireworks under a tent.

Smart, extremely powerful and they command respect.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Home security idea

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1266955 wrote: Like Akitas?

Pretty amazing animals. I hired one for 2 weeks as a guard dog when I was selling fireworks under a tent.

Smart, extremely powerful and they command respect.

oh sooooooooo pretty he is!

you were doing what.:lips::sneaky:
joey2000

Home security idea

Post by joey2000 »

This is a great idea. I agree they are typically too sensitive and so often people don't necessarily react.......but do you think some scumbag thug is going to want to take that chance? Certainly well worth trying with tons to gain and little if anything to lose.

A dog is also an excellent idea, although some are better than others watchdog-wise......plus it's not practical or workable for everyone.
Odie

Home security idea

Post by Odie »

joey2000;1268260 wrote: This is a great idea. I agree they are typically too sensitive and so often people don't necessarily react.......but do you think some scumbag thug is going to want to take that chance? Certainly well worth trying with tons to gain and little if anything to lose.

A dog is also an excellent idea, although some are better than others watchdog-wise......plus it's not practical or workable for everyone.

what's a great idea?:confused:
Betty Boop

Home security idea

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1268285 wrote: what's a great idea?:confused:

The suggestion within the opening post I should imagine.
LarsMac

Home security idea

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop;1266087 wrote: I get the idea Lon, we just don't have this magic button you speak of :wah:

I agree.

A few years back, we lived in a Denver suburb, right across the street from the RR track that the trains carrying coal down to the Denver power plant used. They rolled through at night at a relatively high speed, shaking the houses (and the cars)

People moved in next door who had one of those TransAms with the T-top.

It also had an alarm.

The car was nearly directly under our bedroom window. Every time a train rolled through, the car alarm went off.

This became very irritating, and like the train horn that blasted just about the time it was adjacent to our house (That is another story, altogether) we learned to ignore the damn thing.

After a few weeks, the guy must have gotten to the point of not getting up and checking the car. Then one morning, his T-tops were missing.

He replaced the T-tops, de-installed the alarm, and bought a dog.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
jeorgefergusion1

Home security idea

Post by jeorgefergusion1 »

This is really good Idea. Now a days, The costs of home security systems has really gone down while the quality and availability of them has gone up. So, According to me, do the best we possibly can by installing good home security measures to protect our home.
garden offices
spot

Home security idea

Post by spot »

jeorgefergusion1;1314981 wrote: This is really good Idea. Now a days, The costs of home security systems has really gone down while the quality and availability of them has gone up. So, According to me, do the best we possibly can by installing good home security measures to protect our home.

That's the best suggestion the site's ever had, Jeorge. I only wish we had someone on site who could quote for equipment like that. If only I knew where I could ask for a catalog.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

Home security idea

Post by Nomad »

spot;1314982 wrote: That's the best suggestion the site's ever had, Jeorge. I only wish we had someone on site who could quote for equipment like that. If only I knew where I could ask for a catalog.

Ask me !!!!
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Home security idea

Post by Accountable »

Along with that, keep this by your bed.

It has a range of 15 or 20 feet, stinks, and should confuse the intruder just enough for you to run or crack him over the head with something.
Odie

Home security idea

Post by Odie »

Accountable;1316987 wrote: Along with that, keep this by your bed.

It has a range of 15 or 20 feet, stinks, and should confuse the intruder just enough for you to run or crack him over the head with something.

my baseball bat will go along nicely with that.
John955

Home security idea

Post by John955 »

I need to know how i get rid of these pests from my house. I have pest visitors which i don't want in my house... They poop in my garage and made scratches on my car... I am really fed up with these...

Return to “Home Management”