Kayla is 16

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
nvalleyvee

Kayla is 16

Post by nvalleyvee »

The old woman had a minor stroke last week - at home - to the vet - and at the vet - it lasted. She is 16.5 years old. The vet said it might have been the first one and it might not have. I just notice a big difference in her walking and standing. She stands around like she doesn't know what to do - lay down - get in her chair - ask for attention. The rymadil (sp) is just keeping her from groaning in the up and down motion. I want to be ready to put her down when she is ready. How do I know when her quality of life is not good? She has lost about 80% of her hearing and she walked into a glass french door when the other was open last week. She still puts her head on my lap when I help her on the couch. I'm having a hard time knowing when she is suffering more than me. How selfish.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Odie

Kayla is 16

Post by Odie »

nvalleyvee;1265786 wrote: The old woman had a minor stroke last week - at home - to the vet - and at the vet - it lasted. She is 16.5 years old. The vet said it might have been the first one and it might not have. I just notice a big difference in her walking and standing. She stands around like she doesn't know what to do - lay down - get in her chair - ask for attention. The rymadil (sp) is just keeping her from groaning in the up and down motion. I want to be ready to put her down when she is ready. How do I know when her quality of life is not good? She has lost about 80% of her hearing and she walked into a glass french door when the other was open last week. She still puts her head on my lap when I help her on the couch. I'm having a hard time knowing when she is suffering more than me. How selfish.

her qualtiy of life has run out.:(

I would say it's time.:-1

she's lived a long life.:-6

she's had a serious stroke.

she stands around because she is now in a daze, total confusion for her now.

the meds she is on is keeping her from groaning

she cannot hear

you have to help her onto the couch

she can no longer walk nor run

she's in pain

just becasue she puts her head on your lap, doesn't mean she's not suffering.;)
Life is just to short for drama.
Rapunzel

Kayla is 16

Post by Rapunzel »

nvalleyvee;1265786 wrote: The old woman had a minor stroke last week - at home - to the vet - and at the vet - it lasted. She is 16.5 years old. The vet said it might have been the first one and it might not have. I just notice a big difference in her walking and standing. She stands around like she doesn't know what to do - lay down - get in her chair - ask for attention. The rymadil (sp) is just keeping her from groaning in the up and down motion. I want to be ready to put her down when she is ready. How do I know when her quality of life is not good? She has lost about 80% of her hearing and she walked into a glass french door when the other was open last week. She still puts her head on my lap when I help her on the couch. I'm having a hard time knowing when she is suffering more than me. How selfish.

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear that. I think you'll know when she's suffering. Talk to your vet about it. He/she will be able to give you a better idea of when things are not so good for Kayla. For now just enjoy every moment you can with her. That time together is precious. :yh_hugs:yh_hugs:yh_hugs:yh_hugs:yh_hugs
Peg

Kayla is 16

Post by Peg »

A customer at work had to have his dog put to sleep today. It broke my heart. Where he went, his dog went. Some bars let the dog in, others didn't. He would take it out ice water. The dog knew how to open the cooler and take a drink when he wanted. This dog had more love and attention than most people give their own children. I respect him for loving the dog enough to not be selfish and let it suffer. I wish I could find the same guts he has. I know the end is near for my dog, but I am hoping, with all my heart, she just goes to sleep and never wakes up and I'm not left making a decision I don't want to make.
valerie

Kayla is 16

Post by valerie »

Someone once told me that her vet told her that if the dog

had 3 things it liked to do it wasn't time yet. They can be

any 3 things... eating, sleeping, rides in car, etc.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Kathy Ellen

Kayla is 16

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh that's so sad NV. I truly hope she feels better. It's tragic to lose your pet. You wish they could live forever:-4

Return to “Pet Advice Support”