Abdominal Hernia

cars

Abdominal Hernia

Post by cars »

Anybody know if this is a dangerous condition? Does it always require surgery?
Cars :)
Ahso!

Abdominal Hernia

Post by Ahso! »

cars;1264492 wrote: Anybody know if this is a dangerous condition? Does it always require surgery?I don't think it always requires surgery if you can life with the discomfort, but why not get it taken care of if you can afford to?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Raven

Abdominal Hernia

Post by Raven »

cars;1264492 wrote: Anybody know if this is a dangerous condition? Does it always require surgery?
It all depends cars. Here is some information for you. You decide what is best. The surgery to repair one is easy, but there is always risks to surgery.

If surgery is not an option for you, then they have quite comfortable hernia bands that you can wear to support your abdomin and prevent the hernia from getting bigger. Sometimes with the help of these bands, they CAN repair themselves.

A hernia is a portion of small bowel that protrudes through a weakness in the abdo wall.

Inguinal hernia
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Peg

Abdominal Hernia

Post by Peg »

I had hernia surgery. It was done as an outpatient. I was supposed to be off work for 6 weeks, but was released in 2 weeks to go back to work. The first few days are a bit uncomfortable, but that's it. I would have it done again if neccessary. A surgeon can tell you if he thinks surgery is neccessary or not.
cars

Abdominal Hernia

Post by cars »

Thanks for your replies, I can not bring myself to opt for elective surgery. So I will try getting the Abdominal band, and hope that will be the answer! Thanks again.
Bryn Mawr

Abdominal Hernia

Post by Bryn Mawr »

As I understand it, if it continues to get worse then it can become dangerous.

I'm sure Raven will correct this if I'm talking rubbish but, if a whole loop of the intestine passes through the abdominal wall then it can present a blockage through which the bowel cannot empty - a strangulated hernia.

Worse, if the muscle of the abdominal wall is strong enough to cut off the blood flow to the hernia then it can become necrotic - dead flesh still connected to the living.

Forgive me if this is too much detail but I have an interest in the subject. I was diagnosed with a hernia last Friday and will be having the surgery in three weeks time.
CARLA

Abdominal Hernia

Post by CARLA »

It may not be elective if you wait to long. It is a safe outpatient surgery that helps immensely. Give the bands and try if it doesn't help you pretty much have your answer. They don't repair themselves often that is a bit rare. The longer you wait usually the worse it gets. I suggest talking to your Doctor his advice would be first and if necessary get a second opinion.

[QUOTE]Thanks for your replies, I can not bring myself to opt for elective surgery. So I will try getting the Abdominal band, and hope that will be the answer! Thanks again.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

gmc

Abdominal Hernia

Post by gmc »

cars;1264492 wrote: Anybody know if this is a dangerous condition? Does it always require surgery?

Not trying to be cheeky or anything -but why do you not ask your doctor?
cars

Abdominal Hernia

Post by cars »

gmc;1265161 wrote: Not trying to be cheeky or anything -but why do you not ask your doctor?
The doc is the one who diognosed me, & he recommended the band! He also said that the surgery was a nasty proceedure, with having to add a some sort of mesh over the problem area. And then if re-agravated, the surgery would need to be done again! So . . .
CARLA

Abdominal Hernia

Post by CARLA »

Here is a link to video's on youtube you can check it out for yourself.

HERNIA SURGERY - Google Videos

The doc is the one who diognosed me, & he recommended the band! He also said that the surgery was a nasty proceedure, with having to add a some sort of mesh over the problem area. And then if re-agravated, the surgery would need to be done again! So . . .
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

cars

Abdominal Hernia

Post by cars »

CARLA;1265378 wrote: Here is a link to video's on youtube you can check it out for yourself.

HERNIA SURGERY - Google Videos

Thanks CARLA, I quickly looked at the link through half closed eyes, & quickly then shut it off. I can't look at that stuff, especially if it involves me! I've never had surgery, & will do whatever it takes to keep it that way!
CARLA

Abdominal Hernia

Post by CARLA »

I understand, I on the other had have had more surgeries than I can remember.:wah:

I know its hard to look at but being informed and aware if you decide at some point that it's to uncomfortable and your ready you will have the knowledge you need to prepare for it. If nothing else go to WebMD - Better information. Better health. and learn about the procedure.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Peg

Abdominal Hernia

Post by Peg »

I had it over 6 years ago and it is not that bad. Why risk it getting to the point where you have no choice?
Peg

Abdominal Hernia

Post by Peg »

cars;1264536 wrote: Thanks for your replies, I can not bring myself to opt for elective surgery. So I will try getting the Abdominal band, and hope that will be the answer! Thanks again.

Was the abdominal band the answer for you?
cars

Abdominal Hernia

Post by cars »

Peg;1308782 wrote: Was the abdominal band the answer for you?
Well peg, it does help somewhat!! Thanks for asking.
Royd Fissure

Abdominal Hernia

Post by Royd Fissure »

Yes I had one and got the surgery to fix it. Jeez I was sore for a while but couple of weeks and that passes.
cars

Abdominal Hernia

Post by cars »

Royd Fissure;1309006 wrote: Yes I had one and got the surgery to fix it. Jeez I was sore for a while but couple of weeks and that passes.
Well the problem is I'm a chicken, I've never had surgery to date, & I just can't bring myself to do "elective surgery"! When/if it gets unbearable, I'll have to rethink it.

Anway, I was told I would need a mesh screen inserted over the area to fix the problem. Did you need a mesh screen to fix you up? Was it a major surgery, or were they able to do it Arthroscopy ?
Raven

Abdominal Hernia

Post by Raven »

cars;1309457 wrote: Well the problem is I'm a chicken, I've never had surgery to date, & I just can't bring myself to do "elective surgery"! When/if it gets unbearable, I'll have to rethink it.

Anway, I was told I would need a mesh screen inserted over the area to fix the problem. Did you need a mesh screen to fix you up? Was it a major surgery, or were they able to do it Arthroscopy ?
Cars, as long as it is not causing you problems, you will be okay not having the surgery. But if it starts becoming painful and interfering with digestive process, then you will have to get it fixed. Now the question to ask yourself, is if it is better to just do it, or wait till you have a strangulated gut. And no, mesh isnt always used. It is quite an individual case by case thing.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
cars

Abdominal Hernia

Post by cars »

Raven;1309466 wrote: Cars, as long as it is not causing you problems, you will be okay not having the surgery. But if it starts becoming painful and interfering with digestive process, then you will have to get it fixed. Now the question to ask yourself, is if it is better to just do it, or wait till you have a strangulated gut. And no, mesh isnt always used. It is quite an individual case by case thing.
Yeah, that's kind of my way of thinking. It's wrong I know, My motto has always been: If it ani't broke, don't fix it"! Right now, it is damaged, when it's broke, I'll have no choice! It is very purplexing for me, cause I know it would be better to have it done now when I'm younger, then when older!

But . . . . . .
Peg

Abdominal Hernia

Post by Peg »

cars;1309457 wrote: Well the problem is I'm a chicken, I've never had surgery to date, & I just can't bring myself to do "elective surgery"! When/if it gets unbearable, I'll have to rethink it.

They used the mesh on me. It wasn't arthroscopy. That was over 8 years ago and things improve. If I had to do it over again, yes I would and surgery terrifies me too.
cars

Abdominal Hernia

Post by cars »

Peg;1309560 wrote: They used the mesh on me. It wasn't arthroscopy. That was over 8 years ago and things improve. If I had to do it over again, yes I would and surgery terrifies me too.
Well Peg, I'm glad you had it done & it worked out good for you! I wish I could bring myself to just do it & be done with it!

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”