ForumGarden Upgraded Software Update

Read about the latest happenings at ForumGarden.com.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Tombstone;1264318 wrote: I'm not too worried about the details right now. If there is a chance of lopsidedness or favoritism, I'd rather have that aired out - and then have the ball passed to me to take the blame. :)
I don't have any problems with blaming you Tomb. Just say the word..:D I'm, your huckleberry.
Odie

Post by Odie »

YZGI;1264319 wrote: I don't have any problems with blaming you Tomb. Just say the word..:D I'm, your huckleberry.

zero mod strikes you say?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Odie;1264320 wrote: zero mod strikes you say?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Zero my friend, zero. Tombstone knows where his bread is buttered. :D
koan

Post by koan »

Tombstone;1264318 wrote: I'm not too worried about the details right now. If there is a chance of lopsidedness or favoritism, I'd rather have that aired out - and then have the ball passed to me to take the blame. :)

:wah:

Don't worry, I've taken balls to the face before.

Get back to work, would ya!? :D
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

koan;1264323 wrote: :wah:

So you were a soccer player? Erm wait I got it. heh heh
abbey

Post by abbey »

koan;1264323 wrote: :wah:

That statement is wrong on so many levels! :wah:
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

YZGI;1264319 wrote: I don't have any problems with blaming you Tomb. Just say the word..:D I'm, your huckleberry.

You're a funny guy!
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Odie

Post by Odie »

YZGI;1264322 wrote: Zero my friend, zero. Tombstone knows where his bread is buttered. :D

so his place or yours for Thanksgiving?:sneaky::sneaky::yh_rotfl
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

abbey;1264329 wrote: That statement is wrong on so many levels! :wah:

ha! I wanted to say something...but good manners kept me silent. :lips:

Mom would be proud.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
koan

Post by koan »

abbey;1264329 wrote: That statement is wrong on so many levels! :wah:

hehe

it's actually a quote from Scary Movie 4
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1263861 wrote: If a report has been made, members will be notified it was received and what happened.You don't think that might perhaps deter some of the less brass-necked members from reporting a post in the first place, if all the other members are going to be informed that it was made? Or are you suggesting that the report system suddenly be made anonymous - that might make for an even wormier can of worms.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1264915 wrote: You don't think that might perhaps deter some of the less brass-necked members from reporting a post in the first place, if all the other members are going to be informed that it was made? Or are you suggesting that the report system suddenly be made anonymous - that might make for an even wormier can of worms.

What I was asking if you had of read back, when someone does a report...a mod acknowledges they have received it.

members never find out if they received it, as nothing is ever said to them?

same as an email or pm, if you send one you will receive a response.

its called courtesy.

cyber-land is not always 100%.
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1264997 wrote: What I was asking if you had of read back, when someone does a report...a mod acknowledges they have received it.

members never find out if they received it, as nothing is ever said to them?

same as an email or pm, if you send one you will receive a response.

its called courtesy.

cyber-land is not always 100%.

No, Odie. As usual you're inventing what you'd like to believe instead of looking at what was written.

Odie wrote: [quote=Ian]I think creating a room for "Admin, mods, and members" will cause more problems and arguing, I don't see a mod v. members situation.....
I do, its a great way for all of us to communicate as members versus members and mods.

Members would have a much better understanding of if and why.

If a report has been made, members will be notified it was received and what happened.That's nothing at all to do with "when someone does a report...a mod acknowledges they have received it", it's what I described it as. Discussion of reports in a members-only discussion area. Creating a room for Admin, mods, and members.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1265012 wrote: No, Odie. As usual you're inventing what you'd like to believe instead of looking at what was written.

That's nothing at all to do with "when someone does a report...a mod acknowledges they have received it", it's what I described it as. Discussion of reports in a members-only discussion area. Creating a room for Admin, mods, and members.

Well, I agree with Odie... When a post is reported and there is no word back, It makes you wonder what the point of reporting it was for. That is all Odie is asking... some communication between mods and members who feel they have to report a post or go to a mod with a problem. What part of her post did you have trouble comprehending?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Maybe the system needs to generate an automatic response of 'thank you your report has been received'. Beyond that information, there is not a lot more that can be discussed between a member and a mod.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

oscar;1265056 wrote: Well, I agree with Odie... When a post is reported and there is no word back, It makes you wonder what the point of reporting it was for. That is all Odie is asking... some communication between mods and members who feel they have to report a post or go to a mod with a problem. What part of her post did you have trouble comprehending?

I don't think I've ever reported a post yet, but I've very frequently felt that justice has not been done, or at very least has not been seen to be done. It all too often looked, from the outside at least, that the same people in charge of infracting and banning members were the very ones prodding those members into desperation and insurrection in the first place..Of course this was very likely just the view from the outside - but a little transparency would go a long way maybe to restoring confidence and hopefully stemming the brain drain from this otherwise excellent Forum. I am very glad, Tombstone, that you are prepared to override the expected objections, and even up the playing field for us ordinary folks. Thank you,

:-4
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

AussiePam;1265062 wrote: I don't think I've ever reported a post yet, but I've very frequently felt that justice has not been done, or at very least has not been seen to be done. It all too often looked, from the outside at least, that the same people in charge of infracting and banning members were the very ones prodding those members into desperation and insurrection in the first place..Of course this was very likely just the view from the outside - but a little transparency would go a long way maybe to restoring confidence and hopefully stemming the brain drain from this otherwise excellent Forum. I am very glad, Tombstone, that you are prepared to override the expected objections, and even up the playing field for us ordinary folks. Thank you,

:-4

Can I just ask what you want to be 'seen to be done' A monthly list of who got infracted this month? A list of members and their infraction status beside them? Without making every infraction/warning public knowledge then I can't see how things being 'seen to be done' can be achieved. :confused:

Just another thought, it's interesting to note that this isn't actually an exclusive FG problem, it's going on at other sites too, even where there are these member rooms to discuss things.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

As far as I can remember whenever I have been the first mod to read a reported post I have always sent an "Open pm from mod team" stating that we have received their complaint and its being discussed/sorted ect.

As TS has stated we cant talk about what's said in the mod forum, members sometimes assume that we haven't dealt with the people in question. However, only mods and members warned/infracted can see these so its speculation. Not everyone tells all the forum when they get an infraction.

Until recently we only acted upon reported posts, if you guys didn't report them, we did nothing, that's how TS asked us to moderate.."lightly". However after him being swamped with complaints from members he came and made a new rule to the TOS and told us not to wait for reported posts, if members cant be civil with one another he doesn't want them here, if they don't abide by the rules, he doesn't want them here.

To be honest on the other forums I have modded or been admin of their has never been the level of reported posts and infractions and bans like their is here. Their has always been an admin/mod forum to discuss issues and if people were not happy about something, they just posted it on the general forum. These forums are a little different to here as they have always been 18+ so what's deemed as inappropriate here wouldn't be there.

Seriously over half of our reported posts are from members who have or are falling out with one another. They all report one another and expect us to sort out their petty squabbles, were not here to do that job, really were just here to clean up spam and keep threads on track and help with forum problems and the odd reported post when someone gets lairy.

I also want to bring up here that I didn't ignore the member who requested this room for members and mods to be created. I told you I would pass it on to TS and I did. The post is in the mod forum for him see, I did it the next day as Ts was here sorting stuff so I decided not to use the contact us button as he was active in the thread I posted it in. I have never ignored a request off any member, I have never treated any member any differently to another in the mod forum and if anyone can prove otherwise id love to see this evidence.

I would welcome this "new forum" if it doesnt make more work for us mods and it isnt used for members to gang up on members they dont like and wish not to be in the garden. Am I right in thinking that members want to know who has infracted them and for it to be posted in this forum, do they want to raise their treatment from a reported post and try and get it reversed in this forum? Do they want to use it moan about other members and why they are not banned yet? I ask these questions as thats what people ask us in reported posts and I just see more fall outs on the forum. Hopefully thats NOT what you want cos I wont be part of that, im here voluntarily and dont need the hassle lol..

Im just trying to be honest here and try and quell any rumours of mod favouritism or mods ignoring members ect...Im all for us to be seen as one, theirs no need for a division if people stop listening to rumours and also if people stopped all the tickle tackling via pms ect.. We dont think were gods, we dont have any badges lol...were just members that also have feather dusters and pinnys and I heard Bryn Mawr likes to wear bloomers and stockings when cleaning spam..

Id love all this silly bickering to stop and for us all to get back to having fun. I miss the fun I used to have here, I miss alot of members who are no longer here and despite the rumour train making out its down to the mods, its actually down to alot of member personality clashes and at one time the forum seemed to be America v UK and all about politics. I would also like the word games to not show on the home page, I think logging on to a whole page of word games can be off putting lol but thats just my opinion.:-6

One more thing, one other problem we have here is members not feeling they can post what they like for fear of being made to look stupid. All members should be able to post their views and hobbies ect..If other members don't agree, fine have your say and move on, don't badger the op asking for links and constantly undermining them...Obviously if you post something controversial you have to except a varied response and EVERYONE is entitled an opinion, theirs no need to add snide comments or make people look stupid when you have it.:-6
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1265056 wrote: What part of her post did you have trouble comprehending?If you can't read what I wrote then I'm not sure how I can help you understand. If you read it you'll find out.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;1265070 wrote: Can I just ask what you want to be 'seen to be done' A monthly list of who got infracted this month? A list of members and their infraction status beside them? Without making every infraction/warning public knowledge then I can't see how things being 'seen to be done' can be achieved. :confused:

Just another thought, it's interesting to note that this isn't actually an exclusive FG problem, it's going on at other sites too, even where there are these member rooms to discuss things.

I agree - within the rule we have been instructed to operate by we are not allowed to discuss the actions we take or the reasons for taking, or not taking, action.

By definition nothing can be seen to be done - that definitely does not mean that nothing is being done, just that we are fulfilling the Terms of Reference under which we work.

Imagine the board if this were not so. If every time a member reported a post that report was made public? If every back room discussion concerning such a report was carried out openly in a members forum and every infraction was handed out publicly.

You think there's bad feeling now - the bitching and clique warfare would tear the board to pieces as mob rule took over and those that shouted loudest and piled in with the most supporters tried to get those they disliked banned.

You think that wouldn't happen? It already has, several times, and the only reason it did not succeed was because it doesn't happen in the public arena.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Chezzie;1265082 wrote: As far as I can remember whenever I have been the first mod to read a reported post I have always sent an "Open pm from mod team" stating that we have received their complaint and its being discussed/sorted ect.

As TS has stated we cant talk about what's said in the mod forum, members sometimes assume that we haven't dealt with the people in question. However, only mods and members warned/infracted can see these so its speculation. Not everyone tells all the forum when they get an infraction.

Until recently we only acted upon reported posts, if you guys didn't report them, we did nothing, that's how TS asked us to moderate.."lightly". However after him being swamped with complaints from members he came and made a new rule to the TOS and told us not to wait for reported posts, if members cant be civil with one another he doesn't want them here, if they don't abide by the rules, he doesn't want them here.

To be honest on the other forums I have modded or been admin of their has never been the level of reported posts and infractions and bans like their is here. Their has always been an admin/mod forum to discuss issues and if people were not happy about something, they just posted it on the general forum. These forums are a little different to here as they have always been 18+ so what's deemed as inappropriate here wouldn't be there.

Seriously over half of our reported posts are from members who have or are falling out with one another. They all report one another and expect us to sort out their petty squabbles, were not here to do that job, really were just here to clean up spam and keep threads on track and help with forum problems and the odd reported post when someone gets lairy.

I also want to bring up here that I didn't ignore the member who requested this room for members and mods to be created. I told you I would pass it on to TS and I did. The post is in the mod forum for him see, I did it the next day as Ts was here sorting stuff so I decided not to use the contact us button as he was active in the thread I posted it in. I have never ignored a request off any member, I have never treated any member any differently to another in the mod forum and if anyone can prove otherwise id love to see this evidence.

I would welcome this "new forum" if it doesnt make more work for us mods and it isnt used for members to gang up on members they dont like and wish not to be in the garden. Am I right in thinking that members want to know who has infracted them and for it to be posted in this forum, do they want to raise their treatment from a reported post and try and get it reversed in this forum? Do they want to use it moan about other members and why they are not banned yet? I ask these questions as thats what people ask us in reported posts and I just see more fall outs on the forum. Hopefully thats NOT what you want cos I wont be part of that, im here voluntarily and dont need the hassle lol..

Im just trying to be honest here and try and quell any rumours of mod favouritism or mods ignoring members ect...Im all for us to be seen as one, theirs no need for a division if people stop listening to rumours and also if people stopped all the tickle tackling via pms ect.. We dont think were gods, we dont have any badges lol...were just members that also have feather dusters and pinnys and I heard Bryn Mawr likes to wear bloomers and stockings when cleaning spam..

Id love all this silly bickering to stop and for us all to get back to having fun. I miss the fun I used to have here, I miss alot of members who are no longer here and despite the rumour train making out its down to the mods, its actually down to alot of member personality clashes and at one time the forum seemed to be America v UK and all about politics. I would also like the word games to not show on the home page, I think logging on to a whole page of word games can be off putting lol but thats just my opinion.:-6

One more thing, one other problem we have here is members not feeling they can post what they like for fear of being made to look stupid. All members should be able to post their views and hobbies ect..If other members don't agree, fine have your say and move on, don't badger the op asking for links and constantly undermining them...Obviously if you post something controversial you have to except a varied response and EVERYONE is entitled an opinion, theirs no need to add snide comments or make people look stupid when you have it.:-6

Well said Chezzie ! I will add 2 gold stars to your mod badge LOL.

Seriously, Chezzie has made some very valid points in her post. I hope all the members read that post and digest it fully, all of it !!!!

Post by AussiePam »

I have never reported a post, am not involved in tittle tattle or backroom goings on and rarely email other FGers. I don't have a problem with the current official moderator group as a whole - I'm sure the majority of them now are good, hardworking people who do a great job. Thankyou.. . And I'm sorry you get lumbered with so much playground bickering.

But who moderates the moderators? In the past, those who clashed in any way with the powerbroker members ended up out, one way or another. Some of them no doubt deserved it, or did they?? Since those more chaotic times, we have had moderators who've needed to decommission themselves, been banned, just walked away or suddenly returned after a long absence. So I guess it's not all that surprising that ordinary members are occasionally a bit bewildered.

Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

AussiePam;1265092 wrote: I have never reported a post, am not involved in tittle tattle or backroom goings on and rarely email other FGers. I don't have a problem with the current official moderator group as a whole - I'm sure the majority of them now are good, hardworking people who do a great job. Thankyou.. . And I'm sorry you get lumbered with so much playground bickering.

But who moderates the moderators? In the past, those who clashed in any way with the powerbroker members ended up out, one way or another. Some of them no doubt deserved it, or did they?? Since those more chaotic times, we have had moderators who've decommissioned themselves, been banned, just walked away or suddenly returned after a long absence. So I guess it's not all that surprising that ordinary members are occasionally a bit bewildered.

Hi Pam,

If a mod gets reported, their not allowed to be part of the thread discussion, their asked to leave altogether. We mods then discuss it and either deal with the mod in question ourselves like we would any other member, so it could be a warning or an infraction, anything more serious is always referred onto TS. We have had lots of instances that needed to be passed onto him and he deals with it how he sees fit.

Hope that answers your question.
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1265089 wrote: Well said Chezzie ! I will add 2 gold stars to your mod badge LOL.

Seriously, Chezzie has made some very valid points in her post. I hope all the members read that post and digest it fully, all of it !!!!So, is she right in thinking that members want to know who has infracted them and for it to be posted in the proposed forum? Because that's the hard question and since you're in favour of opening it I'd be interested in how you think it would work in practice.

Someone reports a post and the notification goes to the members-access forum as a new thread? Is that it?

Or someone reports a post and a moderator has to start a new thread in the members-access forum anonymising the report so that members can still make reports without any comeback from the person being reported? Does anyone seriously believe that would successfully hide the identity of the reporter?

Or perhaps each report has a tick-box, "I'd like this report discussing in the member-access forum"? What happens if the person complained of wants it discussing there but the reporter doesn't?

Come on, let's have a preview of how it's supposed to pan out.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Chezzie;1265093 wrote: Hi Pam,

If a mod gets reported, their not allowed to be part of the thread discussion, their asked to leave altogether. We mods then discuss it and either deal with the mod in question ourselves like we would any other member, so it could be a warning or an infraction, anything more serious is always referred onto TS. We have had lots of instances that needed to be passed onto him and he deals with it how he sees fit.

Thanks Chezzie!! I appreciate the reply - and I also am aware that the past is past, and can't be fixed retrospectively. We can only go forward.

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AussiePam;1265092 wrote: I have never reported a post, am not involved in tittle tattle or backroom goings on and rarely email other FGers. I don't have a problem with the current official moderator group as a whole - I'm sure the majority of them now are good, hardworking people who do a great job. Thankyou.. . And I'm sorry you get lumbered with so much playground bickering.

But who moderates the moderators? In the past, those who clashed in any way with the powerbroker members ended up out, one way or another. Some of them no doubt deserved it, or did they?? Since those more chaotic times, we have had moderators who've decommissioned themselves, been banned, just walked away or suddenly returned after a long absence. So I guess it's not all that surprising that ordinary members are occasionally a bit bewildered.

That one's easy - Tombstone.

He sets the rule, for Mods as well as overall.

He can, and has in the past, told us where he'd like us to change our MO.

He can, but has never yet had to, dismiss a Mod for bias or inappropriate activity.

I don't know of a Mod that's been banned. Red came back after she ceased to be a Mod and was banned after a couple of outrageous attacks - that's the closest I can think of.

As to Mods taking leave of absence - we're human too and sometimes need time out to deal with real life issues. To be honest, there have been times when I've been so pissed off with the flack we get and the crud we have to deal with that I've been close to taking a hike. You log in and spend anything up to an hour going through loads of reported posts, checking out the threads they're in for background, cross referencing to the same thread being reported by the other party to try to get a balanced view etc and by the time you get to look at the open board you're in no mood to post anything or enjoy the posts that are there.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1265095 wrote: So, is she right in thinking that members want to know who has infracted them and for it to be posted in the proposed forum? Because that's the hard question and since you're in favour of opening it I'd be interested in how you think it would work in practice.

Someone reports a post and the notification goes to the members-access forum as a new thread? Is that it?

Or someone reports a post and a moderator has to start a new thread in the members-access forum anonymising the report so that members can still make reports without any comeback from the person being reported? Does anyone seriously believe that would successfully hide the identity of the reporter?

Or perhaps each report has a tick-box, "I'd like this report discussing in the member-access forum"? What happens if the person complained of wants it discussing there but the reporter doesn't?

Come on, let's have a preview of how it's supposed to pan out.

Obviously Spot, all these things will have to be discussed fully between the mods and Tombstone, and until then nobody can indicate what, which and how this 'room' will operate, or whether it will actually 'get off the ground' even. Did I hear you just say that you were glad you are not a mod any more ? Or was it a mutter under the breath that perhaps you should re-apply so you can add your four pennyworth ! LOL
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

As to Mods taking leave of absence - we're human too and sometimes need time out to deal with real life issues. To be honest, there have been times when I've been so pissed off with the flack we get and the crud we have to deal with that I've been close to taking a hike. You log in and spend anything up to an hour going through loads of reported posts, checking out the threads they're in for background, cross referencing to the same thread being reported by the other party to try to get a balanced view etc and by the time you get to look at the open board you're in no mood to post anything or enjoy the posts that are there.

Wow thats exactly how I feel lol..:-4:-4:-4

Having said that, the last week or so has been lovely, no reported posts except for spam, maybe it will change when infractions expire and people think they can carry on as before???? Strange how quiet it gets in the mod forum when members get close to getting so many infractions the next would be a ban.:sneaky: Just sayin:)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Chezzie;1265101 wrote: As to Mods taking leave of absence - we're human too and sometimes need time out to deal with real life issues. To be honest, there have been times when I've been so pissed off with the flack we get and the crud we have to deal with that I've been close to taking a hike. You log in and spend anything up to an hour going through loads of reported posts, checking out the threads they're in for background, cross referencing to the same thread being reported by the other party to try to get a balanced view etc and by the time you get to look at the open board you're in no mood to post anything or enjoy the posts that are there.

Wow thats exactly how I feel lol..:-4:-4:-4

Having said that, the last week or so has been lovely, no reported posts except for spam, maybe it will change when infractions expire and people think they can carry on as before???? Strange how quiet it gets in the mod forum when members get close to getting so many infractions the next would be a ban.:sneaky: Just sayin:)

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1265100 wrote: Obviously Spot, all these things will have to be discussed fully between the mods and Tombstone, and until then nobody can indicate what, which and how this 'room' will operate, or whether it will actually 'get off the ground' even.Does that mean you've no idea?

How about the others in here who've been pressing to have this members-access forum opened to discuss reported posts. Any of you? What's it meant to contain? Who tells the forum a report's been made and what poster it was criticizing? Can either the reporter or the reported poster ask for it not to be discussed? Does the Moderator correspondence with both parties have to be copied into the thread to keep the members up to date on what's being said or are the members supposed to only see an edited fraction of the story?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1265103 wrote: Does that mean you've no idea?

How about the others in here who've been pressing to have this members-access forum opened to discuss reported posts. Any of you? What's it meant to contain? Who tells the forum a report's been made and what poster it was criticizing? Can either the reporter or the reported poster ask for it not to be discussed? Does the Moderator correspondence with both parties have to be copied into the thread to keep the members up to date on what's being said or are the members supposed to only see an edited fraction of the story?

It is to be discussed fully, Spot, as I have already said ! It is not for me to put any suggestions here, at this time, as they would only be my opinion.
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1265104 wrote: It is to be discussed fully, Spot, as I have already said ! It is not for me to put any suggestions here, at this time, as they would only be my opinion.

I'm asking you for your opinion. Obviously nobody knows the rules yet because they've not been discussed. I'm asking how, since you want it, you think it might possibly work. I don't think any way can possibly be devised for it to work, I'm trying to discover what potential you think there is. How on earth can the member-access forum possibly be made aware of a confidential report, in your opinion? Or would people continue to make reports if they were no longer to be confidential, in your opinion? And should members be kept up to date on what was asked of the reporter or the poster reported, and how they replied, in your opinion? And if not, what on earth is meant to go on in there instead, in your opinion?

For justice to be seen to be done there has to be a public trial. ForumGarden hasn't had those in the past. Is the proposed members-access forum an attempt to bring that into existence, in your opinion?
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Chezzie;1265093 wrote: Hi Pam,

Hey! I want points! I banned myself for a week for disorderly conduct once.:D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Spot, I will not pass an opinion here, I will wait till this is discussed by the mods and TS......

You are behaving like the prosecuting barrister in the High Court ! Just go and make yourself a cup of coffee ! :)
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

spot;1265107 wrote: I'm asking you for your opinion. Obviously nobody knows the rules yet because they've not been discussed. I'm asking how, since you want it, you think it might possibly work. I don't think any way can possibly be devised for it to work, I'm trying to discover what potential you think there is. How on earth can the member-access forum possibly be made aware of a confidential report, in your opinion? Or would people continue to make reports if they were no longer to be confidential, in your opinion? And should members be kept up to date on what was asked of the reporter or the poster reported, and how they replied, in your opinion? And if not, what on earth is meant to go on in there instead, in your opinion?

For justice to be seen to be done there has to be a public trial. ForumGarden hasn't had those in the past. Is the proposed members-access forum an attempt to bring that into existence, in your opinion?

You have to be stirring or else someone has hijacked this account. Spot finds no value in opinion - only facts, links and reference material.:p

Better that you let TS ponder the possibilities and give us a starting point. He can always adjust things as it moves along.:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Post by spot »

flopstock;1265119 wrote: You have to be stirring or else someone has hijacked this account. Spot finds no value in opinion - only facts, links and reference material.:p

Better that you let TS ponder the possibilities and give us a starting point. He can always adjust things as it moves along.:-6

I'm not interested in finding out what's going to happen - I can discover that by waiting and seeing. Neither am I stirring - the people asking for the new area are stirring, I'm merely reacting out of curiosity. I'm interested in finding out what the proponents of the idea think would work.

If Gill doesn't have a clue despite all her pushing the proposal, perhaps Rapunzel does?

Are any of my questions unreasonable? Or answerable?
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

spot;1265121 wrote: I'm not interested in what's going to happen - I can find that out by waiting and seeing. Neither am I stirring - the people asking for the new area are stirring, I'm merely reacting out of curiosity.

I'm interested in what the proponents of the idea think would work.

If Gill doesn't have a clue despite all her pushing the proposal, perhaps Rapunzel does?

What? You don't care what I think is going to happen? I'm crushed... just crushed I tell you!:p

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

flopstock;1265119 wrote: You have to be stirring or else someone has hijacked this account. Spot finds no value in opinion - only facts, links and reference material.:p

I don't see it as an unreasonable question - "how do the original proposers of the idea see it working and what function do they see it fulfilling?".

If the question is not asked then we might well go to great effort putting something in place that does not cure the original complaint.
spot

Post by spot »

flopstock;1265122 wrote: What? You don't care what I think is going to happen? I'm crushed... just crushed I tell you!:p

I'll settle for your opinion of how it might work, how's that. Shall I repeat the questions, to make it easier?
  • How can the member-access forum possibly be made aware of a confidential report?Would people continue to make reports if they were no longer to be confidential?Who tells the forum a report's been made and what poster it was criticizing?Can either the reporter or the reported poster ask for it not to be discussed?Should members be kept up to date on what was asked of the reporter or the poster reported, and how they replied?If not, what is meant to go on in there instead?
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1265103 wrote: Does that mean you've no idea?

your misunderstanding so much here.

The mention of reported posts was for mods to 'acknowledge' that they did receive it. Members have no idea if it was received as no one ever responds back to them.....its so simple, 'Thank you Spot, we have received your report and we are working on it.'

There was never a discussion of mods telling members of what took place with a report, as that is not a member's business nor conern.:rolleyes:

The idea of a member/mod discussion was 'merely' a suggestion made to talk about things and try and sort them out, it had nothing to do with reported posts. When a member contacts a mod, it must go into the mod room, you used to be a mod, you already know this. Some just want to vent, talk it through and get advice.

Even when members uses 'contact us'? Members are not heard back from. So why is it even there? Whether its for a report, suggestion or merely asking a question.

I used it a couple of months ago, luckily tombstone was on and 'emailed' me back. That is called respect, care and consideration.
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1265126 wrote: There was never a discussion of mods telling members of what took place with a report, as that is not a member's business nor concern [...] it had nothing to do with reported posts.Odie, I have never once seen you keep track of any thread. Either you write without reading or you have the attention span of a goldfish. It has everything to do with reported posts. This is from Gill's initial request earlier in the thread, asking for the new forum area:G#Gill wrote: It would take the suspicion away from any decisions made by mods or admin, and also if a complaint is made through the 'report button', the complainant will be able to find out what, if anything, has been done about that complaint.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1265126 wrote: your misunderstanding so much here.

The mention of reported posts was for mods to 'acknowledge' that they did receive it. Members have no idea if it was received as no one ever responds back to them.....its so simple, 'Thank you Spot, we have received your report and we are working on it.'

There was never a discussion of mods telling members of what took place with a report, as that is not a member's business nor conern.:rolleyes:

The idea of a member/mod discussion was 'merely' a suggestion made to talk about things and try and sort them out, it had nothing to do with reported posts. When a member contacts a mod, it must to into the mod room, you used to be a mod, you already know this. Some just want to vent, talk it through and get advice.

Even when members uses 'contact us'? Members are not heard back from. So why is it even there? Whether its for a report, suggestion or merely asking a question.

I used it a couple of months ago, luckily tombstone was on and 'emailed' me back. That is called respect, care and consideration.

The original request was :-

A meeting room, open to Admin, mods, and members, but not viewable or obtainable by 'reading guests'. Available for members to voice opinions, suggestions, queries with Admin and mods. It would take the suspicion away from any decisions made by mods or admin, and also if a complaint is made through the 'report button', the complainant will be able to find out what, if anything, has been done about that complaint.

That puts the complainant finding out what is being done firmly in the open area - 99% of reported posts already get an acknowledgement by PM and I apologise on behalf of the Mods for those that don't.

As to your use of the Contact Me button - that goes directly to Tombstone and is not seen by the Mods. It is not fortuitous that Tombstone was on, it was the only possible way you would get a response.
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1265130 wrote: Odie, I have never once seen you keep track of any thread. Either you write without reading or you have the attention span of a goldfish.

after what you just said to me? You really wonder why reports are made?:rolleyes:

go away spot and leave me alone!;)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I give up - I'll go back to sleep.

My typing's too slow to get a point in sideways :wah:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1265132 wrote: after what you just said to me? You really wonder why reports are made?:rolleyes:

go away spot and leave me alone!;)

Regardless of how badly the point was made, that is what the original request asked for and it is valid to try to find out how people see it working.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1265136 wrote: Regardless of how badly the point was made, that is what the original request asked for and it is valid to try to find out how people see it working.

and I was merely trying to explain to Spot about reported posts...as that was his 'first' question to me.

I have also just said 'now and agreed'...reported posts should not be discussed by mods to members as its not their concern.

now, I'm going out!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

When a complaint is made through the 'report button', the complainant should be entitled to know what, and if, anything has been done about it. I.E. That the person being complained about has actually been contacted by a mod (if the complaint warranted it) - there would be no specific details given, other than that. That is what I meant.
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1265140 wrote: When a complaint is made through the 'report button', the complainant should be entitled to know what, and if, anything has been done about it. I.E. That the person being complained about has actually been contacted by a mod (if the complaint warranted it) - there would be no specific details given, other than that. That is what I meant.

And, from your current experience as a moderator, is that what generally happens at the moment? I note Bryn's earlier comment that "99% of reported posts already get an acknowledgement by PM".
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

G#Gill;1265140 wrote: When a complaint is made through the 'report button', the complainant should be entitled to know what, and if, anything has been done about it. I.E. That the person being complained about has actually been contacted by a mod (if the complaint warranted it) - there would be no specific details given, other than that. That is what I meant.

Question to the Board then - is the complainant entitled to know whether the complainee has been infracted?

Return to “News and Announcements”