ForumGarden Upgraded Software Update

Read about the latest happenings at ForumGarden.com.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Hi Everyone!

Just to let you know, I'm beginning the upgrade process to get the server and ForumGarden ready for its new software.

There are several software items that I have to upgrade first. I'll then create a new test environment for ForumGarden and attempt to upgrade using this special install environment. If all goes well, ForumGarden will be running on its new version of software in a few weeks.

The updated software will give everyone better control, more features, and fully integrates the forums, blogs, user areas, and (new) article sections.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, sounds cool! :-6
koan

Post by koan »

Sounds exciting!

Thanks for all your hard work. Sounds like a long process.
spot

Post by spot »

Tombstone;1263459 wrote: The updated software will give everyone better controlDoes that mean we can finally have carpet instead of linoleum and a mop?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

spot;1263465 wrote: Does that mean we can finally have carpet instead of linoleum and a mop?

Actually, it's tile with a big floor drain right in the middle of the room. ;)
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Tombstone;1263468 wrote: Actually, it's tile with a big floor drain right in the middle of the room. ;)

Please please can I be keeper of the plug? :D
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Chezzie;1263476 wrote: Please please can I be keeper of the plug? :D

If you are willing to deal with the hair and other junk...sure!
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Tombstone;1263479 wrote: If you are willing to deal with the hair and other junk...sure!

well putting it like that:lips:
Odie

Post by Odie »

Tombstone;1263459 wrote: Hi Everyone!

Just to let you know, I'm beginning the upgrade process to get the server and ForumGarden ready for its new software.

There are several software items that I have to upgrade first. I'll then create a new test environment for ForumGarden and attempt to upgrade using this special install environment. If all goes well, ForumGarden will be running on its new version of software in a few weeks.

The updated software will give everyone better control, more features, and fully integrates the forums, blogs, user areas, and (new) article sections.

more smileys boss?
Life is just to short for drama.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hey Tombstone, Sir, Your Gardeness, I have had an idea put to me by one of the members, well actually I believe it involves more than one member!

Other sites seem to find this quite successful in that it takes some mystery, suspicion and doubt away from the mod v. members situation.

A meeting room, open to Admin, mods, and members, but not viewable or obtainable by 'reading guests'. Available for members to voice opinions, suggestions, queries with Admin and mods. It would take the suspicion away from any decisions made by mods or admin, and also if a complaint is made through the 'report button', the complainant will be able to find out what, if anything, has been done about that complaint.

This of course, would be conducted in a civilised and adult manner, and common sense will prevail during any discussion.

As it is at the moment, there is a cloud of doubt and suspicion spreading over the site. Mods are being accused of favouritism, of bias, of taking no notice of a complaint etc. and this is mainly due to the mystery, secrecy and lack of communication and explanation with the members.

I have seen this 'room' working on another site, and it works very well, and there is much better rapport between the mods and members there, and the atmosphere is a lot happier and more relaxed.

On Forum Garden, more and more members are saying that they have to watch very carefully what they write and the way they write it for fear of getting an infraction. This shouldn't be happening surely. If people feel uncomfortable being a member on Forum Garden, then they are going to be joining another site !

Obviously being civil to each other is a priority, and providing the members keep to the rules, then all should be fine. But I feel sure that a 'membership discussion room' could help solve a lot of problems.

Why don't we give it a trial for a month? If it goes pear-shaped and isn't working then the 'room' can be closed down, and we revert back to what we have now.

I personally do not sit comfortably with this feeling of 'them and us' that has developed, and feel that if the mods were more accessible to the ordinary members, some of the problems would disappear.

Perhaps this has been suggested before? Any way I believe that it would be worth trying, as I say, for a trial period at least.

Please think about it TS. I look forward to hearing your thoughts in due course.

Thanks for ploughing through my long post XXX
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

G#Gill;1263505 wrote: Hey Tombstone, Sir, Your Gardeness, I have had an idea put to me by one of the members, well actually I believe it involves more than one member!

Other sites seem to find this quite successful in that it takes some mystery, suspicion and doubt away from the mod v. members situation.

A meeting room, open to Admin, mods, and members, but not viewable or obtainable by 'reading guests'. Available for members to voice opinions, suggestions, queries with Admin and mods. It would take the suspicion away from any decisions made by mods or admin, and also if a complaint is made through the 'report button', the complainant will be able to find out what, if anything, has been done about that complaint.

This of course, would be conducted in a civilised and adult manner, and common sense will prevail during any discussion.

As it is at the moment, there is a cloud of doubt and suspicion spreading over the site. Mods are being accused of favouritism, of bias, of taking no notice of a complaint etc. and this is mainly due to the mystery, secrecy and lack of communication and explanation with the members.

I have seen this 'room' working on another site, and it works very well, and there is much better rapport between the mods and members there, and the atmosphere is a lot happier and more relaxed.

On Forum Garden, more and more members are saying that they have to watch very carefully what they write and the way they write it for fear of getting an infraction. This shouldn't be happening surely. If people feel uncomfortable being a member on Forum Garden, then they are going to be joining another site !

Obviously being civil to each other is a priority, and providing the members keep to the rules, then all should be fine. But I feel sure that a 'membership discussion room' could help solve a lot of problems.

Why don't we give it a trial for a month? If it goes pear-shaped and isn't working then the 'room' can be closed down, and we revert back to what we have now.

I personally do not sit comfortably with this feeling of 'them and us' that has developed, and feel that if the mods were more accessible to the ordinary members, some of the problems would disappear.

Perhaps this has been suggested before? Any way I believe that it would be worth trying, as I say, for a trial period at least.

Please think about it TS. I look forward to hearing your thoughts in due course.

Thankyou Gill. :-6
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Finally, someone who listens. :-6
koan

Post by koan »

Whatever it is that's going on between mods and members can wait. TS just told us he's spending a few weeks on software upgrades, I highly doubt it's a good time to bother him with he said/ she said crap.

Be thankful and zip it.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Actually, the REAL reason I have been away for two weeks is that Tombstone and I have been consulting with each other on ways to improve the ForumGarden. We were away on retreat.

Yeah Right! :D

Seriously...thank you Tombstone for your efforts toward make ForumGarden as good as it can get. You the man! :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
koan

Post by koan »

along-for-the-ride;1263544 wrote: Actually, the REAL reason I have been away for two weeks is that Tombstone and I have been consulting with each other on ways to improve the ForumGarden. We were away on retreat.

Yeah Right! :D

Seriously...thank you Tombstone for your efforts toward make ForumGarden as good as it can get. You the man! :)

:wah:

"I'm an FG and vb updates were my idea." :D
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

koan;1263537 wrote: Whatever it is that's going on between mods and members can wait. TS just told us he's spending a few weeks on software upgrades, I highly doubt it's a good time to bother him with he said/ she said crap.

Be thankful and zip it.

Koan, please don't stir stuff up, because that is all you are doing by saying things like that. :rolleyes:

Obviously it is not expected that TS should drop everything to deal with what I have suggested in my post, but it would be good if he could bear the suggestion in mind and discuss it after the software upgrades are up and running well. We all know that he is an extremely busy man. And we are all looking forward to enjoying the fruits of his labours, with appreciation.

Koan I just don't like the way you said that - just go and get a coffee for goodness sake ! :(
koan

Post by koan »

G#Gill;1263564 wrote: Koan, please don't stir stuff up, because that is all you are doing by saying things like that. :rolleyes:

[...]

Koan I just don't like the way you said that - just go and get a coffee for goodness sake ! :(

I'm not the one stirring and I don't care if you like it or not.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

G#Gill;1263505 wrote: Hey Tombstone, Sir, Your Gardeness, I have had an idea put to me by one of the members, well actually I believe it involves more than one member!

Great idea! If I forget to implement...remind me!
G-man

Post by G-man »

Sounds good TS! :D Now if we can just do something about all of the bickering! :yh_rotfl

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Server upgrades sound great looking forward to the enhancements. :-6

:yh_rotfl Perfect excellent..!!

[QUOTE]Actually, it's tile with a big floor drain right in the middle of the room. ;)[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

G#Gill;1263564 wrote: Koan, please don't stir stuff up, because that is all you are doing by saying things like that. :rolleyes:

Obviously it is not expected that TS should drop everything to deal with what I have suggested in my post, but it would be good if he could bear the suggestion in mind and discuss it after the software upgrades are up and running well. We all know that he is an extremely busy man. And we are all looking forward to enjoying the fruits of his labours, with appreciation.

Well said Gill
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Tombstone;1263570 wrote: Great idea! If I forget to implement...remind me!

A Heartfelt Thankyou!
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

G-man;1263571 wrote: Sounds good TS! :D Now if we can just do something about all of the bickering! :yh_rotfl

If Gill's suggestion is sorted out it should solve all the problems!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Wow. It's already way more powerful than almost every other board I ever saw. What else could possibly be included?

Nitro-charging? Psychic-brain-linking?:-2
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Tombstone;1263570 wrote: Great idea! If I forget to implement...remind me!

Wow ! Thank you very much TS, bless you for taking time to read all that post, and I am sure that there will be many members who appreciate you giving the idea a try. As I said, if it does go pear-shaped, and does not work out, well we just close the door on the discussion room and revert back to how we are at the moment ! No problem :yh_bigsmi:yh_hugs:yh_wink:yh_flower:yh_clap
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Ian;1263858 wrote: I think creating a room for "Admin, mods, and members" will cause more problems and arguing, I don't see a mod v. members situation.....

This is probably because you are not a mod ! :)
Odie

Post by Odie »

Ian;1263858 wrote: I think creating a room for "Admin, mods, and members" will cause more problems and arguing, I don't see a mod v. members situation.....

I do, its a great way for all of us to communicate as members versus members and mods.

Members would have a much better understanding of if and why.

If a report has been made, members will be notified it was received and what happened.

We may disagree to disagree, but in the real world its the same.

And to some of us here? This ended up being a part of our real world as we phone each other, email, send cards, gifts etc.

We are all members here, none of us think the same, and that is just normal, and it would be done in a most civil manner as we are all adults here and care about our forum that Tombstone has provided for us to come to.

Mods are people to, just like members are, they have feelings, ideas, input, suggestions, feedback, they are human just like we are.:-4
G-man

Post by G-man »

Thanks Tombstone! You're doing a great job! :D

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Ian;1263860 wrote: So are you saying that it's the mods who have a problem with members?

There are misunderstandings on both sides. It may facilitate a better rapport between all parties to have a 'meeting room' (but not available or accessible by guest readers), so that everybody can discuss any problems and frustrations in a civilised manner, so that all can move forward with a better understanding and in a happier and more relaxed frame of mind. Don't you agree, that it is worth a try?
Odie

Post by Odie »

Ian;1263862 wrote: Hi Odie :)

I like the mods I see no problem, I don't imagine that they have no feelings, after all they chose to be mods.. I wouldn't imagine that they think themselves differently, if they do then they shouldn't be mods.

they have to think differently, they have a job to do it keep it peaceful here.;)

yes, they chose to be mods, but on this forum with so many members and threads....its a huge job, and there may only be one on at one time as they have their owns lives as well and this forum runs 24/7.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Wow, will it allow us to physically download ourselves and transport ourselves to the location of any FG member for a visit?
Peg

Post by Peg »

What is with this need to see some sort of revenge being dished out to members other members have decided they don't like, or don't want around any more?
Odie

Post by Odie »

mikeinie;1263941 wrote: Wow, will it allow us to physically download ourselves and transport ourselves to the location of any FG member for a visit?

beam me up Scottie!:yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Ian;1263860 wrote: So are you saying that it's the mods who have a problem with members?

No I'm not saying that, Ian, I am saying (and this is my opinion), that SOME members seem to have a problem with not being privy to moderator decisions and actions. Whereas most members seem to be quite content with how the moderators oversee the site, there are a few who are not.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

So far, Ian, I have been out-voted with regard to trying out a 'meeting room', so it looks as if the decision will be put on the 'back burner' for the foreseable future, which I've no doubt will frustrate those members who were looking forward to this new facility ! :-3

Thanks, Ian, for your very constructive imput, much appreciated !;) :-6
Odie

Post by Odie »

Ian;1264236 wrote: I think a confusion could be that some members just want to know why a member was banned but express themselves in a way that seems to question the decision, transferring this type of situation into a power struggle is not needed.

I respect there are always extreme situations but ultimately if someone disagrees and or doesn't except the decision made by a mod then they do not except the ethos of the forumgarden.

If Mods are tired of their authority being questioned now...... then imagine how pissed off they would be after a week stuck in the "meeting room" :)

It would would basically be a complaints room would it not?

Some members would just like to be acknowledged if they do send a report.

how do members even know if it got there?

its just out of respect and common courtesy.

at least that's what other forums do.

Its no different than if someone pm's or emails you, you answer them back, right?
koan

Post by koan »

So that's what the forum is wanted for?

Let's hear the expectations.

1) Acknowledgement that reported posts were received by the mods.

Is that it?
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Let's implement it and see where it takes us. No harm no foul.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Tombstone;1264305 wrote: Let's implement it and see where it takes us. No harm no foul.

thank you Tombstone.

Its just nice to be acknowledged.:)
koan

Post by koan »

Tombstone;1264305 wrote: Let's implement it and see where it takes us. No harm no foul.

Just trying to ascertain what they want you to set up re) every reported posts generates a second thread in the mod/member forum or they have to initiate every thread separately when they have a question or issue. Or both.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Odie;1264306 wrote: thank you Tombstone.

Its just nice to be acknowledged.:)

:yh_hugs
Odie

Post by Odie »

Tombstone;1264314 wrote: :yh_hugs

:yh_hugs
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

koan;1264309 wrote: Just trying to ascertain what they want you to set up re) every reported posts generates a second thread in the mod/member forum or they have to initiate every thread separately when they have a question or issue. Or both.

I'm not too worried about the details right now. If there is a chance of lopsidedness or favoritism, I'd rather have that aired out - and then have the ball passed to me to take the blame. :)

Return to “News and Announcements”