Slow cooking

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Betty Boop

Slow cooking

Post by Betty Boop »

Should I buy a Slow cooker?

Anyone got one? Does everything come out tasting the same, bland and dull... :thinking:

Will I want to get up at 6am to chop veggies and brown meat so it can cook slowly all day?

Decisions decisions...
Odie

Slow cooking

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1257970 wrote: Should I buy a Slow cooker?

Anyone got one? Does everything come out tasting the same, bland and dull... :thinking:

Will I want to get up at 6am to chop veggies and brown meat so it can cook slowly all day?

Decisions decisions...

I used to have one Betty and loved it!

just like you said, prepare and let it cook slowly.

but 6 am?

what if you chopped everything the night before?

I found everything tasty, from stews to goulash, with herbs, spices and seasonings surrounding everything.....nothing bland nor dull.....tons of flavour!:-6
Life is just to short for drama.
Peg

Slow cooking

Post by Peg »

Decisions decisions...

I love mine. Food is quite tasty in it.
Betty Boop

Slow cooking

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1257971 wrote: I used to have one Betty and loved it!

just like you said, prepare and let it cook slowly.

but 6 am?

what if you chopped everything the night before?

I found everything tasty, from stews to goulash, with herbs, spices and seasonings surrounding everything.....nothing bland nor dull.....tons of flavour!:-6

Yes 6am if I was to set it up before a day at uni :wah:

I somehow think I will be more likely to fill it up on a day after the school run and leave it cooking whilst I put in a day of study.
Betty Boop

Slow cooking

Post by Betty Boop »

Peg;1257976 wrote: I love mine. Food is quite tasty in it.

I'm halfway convinced about buying one :wah:
Peg

Slow cooking

Post by Peg »

Betty Boop;1257980 wrote: I'm halfway convinced about buying one :wah:

Start out with stew and you will be hooked right off the bat.
chonsigirl

Slow cooking

Post by chonsigirl »

They are great! I like to cook roasts in them, it will make two meals for the family and I feel like I really cooked something!
Rapunzel

Slow cooking

Post by Rapunzel »

I love mine. I brown the meat in the evening and chuck it in the slowcooker with chopped veg, herbs and some sprinkled oxo cubes plus water. Then I set the timer to come on during the following day so its ready when I get home from work and everyones hungry and I'm too tired to cook.

Once I've eaten and relaxed I clean up and repeat for the next day.

Food cooked in a slowcooker is delicious. You can use cheaper cuts of meat and because they cook so slowly they just fall apart in your mouth when you eat them.

Yummy and delish. :)
Betty Boop

Slow cooking

Post by Betty Boop »

Rapunzel;1257999 wrote: I love mine. I brown the meat in the evening and chuck it in the slowcooker with chopped veg, herbs and some sprinkled oxo cubes plus water. Then I set the timer to come on during the following day so its ready when I get home from work and everyones hungry and I'm too tired to cook.

Once I've eaten and relaxed I clean up and repeat for the next day.

Food cooked in a slowcooker is delicious. You can use cheaper cuts of meat and because they cook so slowly they just fall apart in your mouth when you eat them.

Yummy and delish. :)

That's what I'd worry about, browning the meat then letting it go cold overnight. When you say brown, do you actually make sure it is cooked through or are you literally just sealing it?
chonsigirl

Slow cooking

Post by chonsigirl »

Just seal it fast in a frying pan, right before you pop it in. I put mine in the morning around 7, it is done about 3. Nice and easy. You can cut up veggies if you want to the night before.
Rapunzel

Slow cooking

Post by Rapunzel »

Betty Boop;1258008 wrote: That's what I'd worry about, browning the meat then letting it go cold overnight. When you say brown, do you actually make sure it is cooked through or are you literally just sealing it?

chonsigirl;1258010 wrote: Just seal it fast in a frying pan, right before you pop it in. I put mine in the morning around 7, it is done about 3. Nice and easy. You can cut up veggies if you want to the night before.

As Chonsi says, I just seal it fast. Yes I leave it overnight because the kitchen is cold (unheated) and I've not had any problems with it. It cooks through fully in the slow cooker. I wouldn't leave chicken overnight obviously.

TBH tho, who has time to do that sort of thing in the morning?
Betty Boop

Slow cooking

Post by Betty Boop »

Rapunzel;1258011 wrote: As Chonsi says, I just seal it fast. Yes I leave it overnight because the kitchen is cold (unheated) and I've not had any problems with it. It cooks through fully in the slow cooker. I wouldn't leave chicken overnight obviously.

TBH tho, who has time to do that sort of thing in the morning?

Not me, I hate mornings as it is :wah: I think I will go for it, but stick to days when I'm home writing an essay or reading, it can cook away in the background whilst I get stuck in. I'll stick to the throwing together spag bol or bangers beans and mash for the uni days.
Odie

Slow cooking

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1258013 wrote: Not me, I hate mornings as it is :wah: I think I will go for it, but stick to days when I'm home writing an essay or reading, it can cook away in the background whilst I get stuck in. I'll stick to the throwing together spag bol or bangers beans and mash for the uni days.

that's a better idea for you Betty on your days off, as it is time consuming at night or early am.
Peg

Slow cooking

Post by Peg »

Cut vegetables up for 2 or 3 meals and you'll save a ton of time.
Rapunzel

Slow cooking

Post by Rapunzel »

Odie;1258014 wrote: that's a better idea for you Betty on your days off, as it is time consuming at night or early am.

That is a better idea. I really hate leaving anything on when I'm not in the house as I'm scared stiff of fire. I once (many years ago) had a washing machine that I would let run at night when we were in bed, but one evening I went into the kitchen and saw smoke wafting gently out of the back of it. It scared me rigid as I had a new baby and no smoke alarms and I dread to think of what might have happened.

Although I will leave the slow cooker on now it is because hubby works nights and sleeps days and he is a VERY light sleeper! Also, we have lots of smoke alarms now. :)
Rapunzel

Slow cooking

Post by Rapunzel »

Betty Boop;1258013 wrote: Not me, I hate mornings as it is :wah: I think I will go for it, but stick to days when I'm home writing an essay or reading, it can cook away in the background whilst I get stuck in. I'll stick to the throwing together spag bol or bangers beans and mash for the uni days.

If you peel your potatoes at night and slice them and cover them with cold salted water, they will not go brown or slimy during the day. That way you can come home and turn the cooker on straight away without having to stop and peel first! ;):)
qsducks

Slow cooking

Post by qsducks »

The slow cooker is a woman's best friend especially in the winter...seal your meat the night before..doesn't take long...just make sure you toss your meat with some flour & some olive oil...depending on what your making...say stew, 2 cans beef broth, 2 cans diced tomatoes & loads of herbs....and don't forget some good toasty bread...you'll be passed out in bed after that meal:wah:
Odie

Slow cooking

Post by Odie »

Rapunzel;1258019 wrote: That is a better idea. I really hate leaving anything on when I'm not in the house as I'm scared stiff of fire. I once (many years ago) had a washing machine that I would let run at night when we were in bed, but one evening I went into the kitchen and saw smoke wafting gently out of the back of it. It scared me rigid as I had a new baby and no smoke alarms and I dread to think of what might have happened.

Although I will leave the slow cooker on now it is because hubby works nights and sleeps days and he is a VERY light sleeper! Also, we have lots of smoke alarms now. :)

I hate leaving anything on as well with no one home, you just never know.

oh how awful Rap, always have smoke alarms.;)

I won't even go outside in the summer if anything is on.

even just to sit.
Peg

Slow cooking

Post by Peg »

It doesn't bother me leaving the slow cooker on. The alarm clock, tv, or anything else could just as easily start a fire.
Odie

Slow cooking

Post by Odie »

Peg;1258025 wrote: It doesn't bother me leaving the slow cooker on. The alarm clock, tv, or anything else could just as easily start a fire.

that's true Peg, as everything we use is plugged in.
Rapunzel

Slow cooking

Post by Rapunzel »

Odie;1258023 wrote: I hate leaving anything on as well with no one home, you just never know.

oh how awful Rap, always have smoke alarms.;)

I won't even go outside in the summer if anything is on.

even just to sit.

It's true, you never do know. :(

I always go around at night checking that everything is unplugged.

Hubby once turned the cooker off at the wall but he didn't turn the dial off on the front of the cooker. I later left a couple of pizza boxes on the back of the cooker as I was going to put them out in the recycling bin.

Next day I turned the cooker on at the wall and went to run a bath. I was going to come back and throw something on to cook whilst I enjoyed a bath. However, when I came back I found he had left the dial on and flames 1 foot high were shooting out of the top of the pizza boxes! :eek:
Odie

Slow cooking

Post by Odie »

Rapunzel;1258039 wrote: It's true, you never do know. :(

I always go around at night checking that everything is unplugged.

Hubby once turned the cooker off at the wall but he didn't turn the dial off on the front of the cooker. I later left a couple of pizza boxes on the back of the cooker as I was going to put them out in the recycling bin.

Next day I turned the cooker on at the wall and went to run a bath. I was going to come back and throw something on to cook whilst I enjoyed a bath. However, when I came back I found he had left the dial on and flames 1 foot high were shooting out of the top of the pizza boxes! :eek:

omg!:-5:-5

I never leave anything inside the stove, toaster etc.

I check and re-check everything.
mrsK

Slow cooking

Post by mrsK »

Decisions decisions...

I love my slow cooker.

I make a lot of meals in it.

I don't bother browning the meat as I never have the time but I do love the fact my meal is cooked when I get home from school,especially in the winter:-6:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Kathy Ellen

Slow cooking

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Betty,

I bought a slow cooker, but only use it to cook chicken or porkloin with some spuds, veggies and lots of spices. I brown the chicken 1st just to seal it and then cook it for 5-6 hours. It's really delicious as it is so tender and the spices really infuse the meat.

I am not a great meat eater and prefer to bake with homemade bread crumbs, apples and bananas on top of the chicken. I also prefer to grill or fry meat.

Although the veggie and spuds flavor the meat, they don't taste good to me as they seem to have a boiled taste .

But, since I do like flavorful foods, I then take the chicken and add other foods to it.....In a big pot, I put the cubed chicken,homemade chips, crisp red, green and hot peppers, walnuts, seasoned fresh corn, with spices and gravy. I mix everything, like a stew, together and call it my 'chicken comfort.' It freezes well for dinners during the work week.

I also don't feel comfortable leaving the cooker on when I'm not home.
Chezzie

Slow cooking

Post by Chezzie »

I love my slow cooker...:D
Carolly

Slow cooking

Post by Carolly »

I also love my Slow Cooker and have had one for many years now although Ive updated the Models on the way.

I do my Beef in it also and buy Brisket as not only is it alot cheaper but falls apart as its so tender after cooking in there.I cook stews in it and also soups...but one thing I have learned.If I have it on slow it doesent always cook the potatoes and carrots through being root veg so I tend to boil them first for a couple of minutes and then no prob.I have at the moment in one a soup....chicken....pumpkin...sweetpotato.....carrots.....leeks....potatoes...swede.....sweetcorn...tarrigan and barley.Its been on all night and ive just turned it off.I often go out leaving it on as tbh thats what I bought it for....to be able to go out and come home to a ready hot meal and never ever have had any probs.:DI also tend to use the High power on it for certain things but dont leave it on for as long as I would do normally.Yep the Slow Cooker is one of those seven wonders of the world for me;)
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Betty Boop

Slow cooking

Post by Betty Boop »

Ok, I will go for it, now which brand and what size :wah:
Carolly

Slow cooking

Post by Carolly »

Betty Boop;1258215 wrote: Ok, I will go for it, now which brand and what size :wah: Ye pushing ye luck Bird:-5:rolleyes:;):wah:
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Peg

Slow cooking

Post by Peg »

I'd go for the kind you can take out the crock and wash it.
Carolly

Slow cooking

Post by Carolly »

Well dont get a small one mate as you have a family and will be just to small.I have the largest one you can buy and it works for me;)
Kathy Ellen

Slow cooking

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I bought mine from Crockpot.com. It's 6.5 quart unit.

It's very nice, easy to use, and the inside has a travelling pot with a lid that you can carry anwhere.
Rapunzel

Slow cooking

Post by Rapunzel »

Peg;1258217 wrote: I'd go for the kind you can take out the crock and wash it.

Yes, that's the kind I have. All this talk of using a slow cooker has made me hungry! :)

I went shopping today and bought all the ingredients for a boeuf bourguignon to cook in my slow cooker for tomorrow nights dinner.

Yummy!
Carolly

Slow cooking

Post by Carolly »

I think the only kind you can buy now is the one you can take out to wash:-3
Betty Boop

Slow cooking

Post by Betty Boop »

Ok, a pot that comes out, a largish one I guess, Carolly I take it you are not offering to nip out and get me one too ;):wah: I may order one online, busy week ahead won't be any time for shopping :(

You guys that make soup, I have never mastered soup yet, do you leave it lumpy or do you run it through a liquidiser?

I fancy christening my cooker, when I get it by making a vegetable soup. I'm a bit like Kathy, not a huge meat eater.
Peg

Slow cooking

Post by Peg »

That shows how long I've had mine. :o
Carolly

Slow cooking

Post by Carolly »

Betty Boop;1258223 wrote: Ok, a pot that comes out, a largish one I guess, Carolly I take it you are not offering to nip out and get me one too ;):wah: I may order one online, busy week ahead won't be any time for shopping :(

You guys that make soup, I have never mastered soup yet, do you leave it lumpy or do you run it through a liquidiser?

I fancy christening my cooker, when I get it by making a vegetable soup. I'm a bit like Kathy, not a huge meat eater.I never liquidise my soup as I love the chunks in it....look at Comets, Argos or Currys online or something as im sure they have some good ones there.Normaly about a score to buy:D Id go and get you one but would hate to get you the wrong one:wah::p;)
Rapunzel

Slow cooking

Post by Rapunzel »

Betty Boop;1258223 wrote: You guys that make soup, I have never mastered soup yet, do you leave it lumpy or do you run it through a liquidiser?

I love homemade soup. :)

If I make it to eat at home then I leave all the veggies in. If I take some to work I whizz it up and put it in a thermos flask so it's still nice and hot at lunchtime and I can pour it straight into the little cup and drink it.

Yumyumyum. :)
Kathy Ellen

Slow cooking

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Betty, there's tons of sites for crock pot recipes on google. Here's one for soups.

Ducky uses here crock pot a lot and has some good sites for recipes.

crock pot soup recipes, page 1 | crockpot recipes | slow cooker recipes

I love this one for southern recipes...

Crockpot Recipes - More than 1400 Crockpot Recipes for the Crock Pot or Slow Cooker
Betty Boop

Slow cooking

Post by Betty Boop »

Kathy Ellen;1258232 wrote: Betty, there's tons of sites for crock pot recipes on google. Here's one for soups.

Crockpot Recipes - More than 1400 Crockpot Recipes for the Crock Pot or Slow Cooker

Cool, thanks Kathy will take a look.

Have looked around net but can get a better price at a store nearby, will head there tomorrow at some point. :)
qsducks

Slow cooking

Post by qsducks »

Carolly;1258070 wrote: I also love my Slow Cooker and have had one for many years now although Ive updated the Models on the way.

I do my Beef in it also and buy Brisket as not only is it alot cheaper but falls apart as its so tender after cooking in there.I cook stews in it and also soups...but one thing I have learned.If I have it on slow it doesent always cook the potatoes and carrots through being root veg so I tend to boil them first for a couple of minutes and then no prob.I have at the moment in one a soup....chicken....pumpkin...sweetpotato.....carrots.....leeks....potatoes...swede.....sweetcorn...tarrigan and barley.Its been on all night and ive just turned it off.I often go out leaving it on as tbh thats what I bought it for....to be able to go out and come home to a ready hot meal and never ever have had any probs.:DI also tend to use the High power on it for certain things but dont leave it on for as long as I would do normally.Yep the Slow Cooker is one of those seven wonders of the world for me;)

Kathy Ellen;1258232 wrote: Betty, there's tons of sites for crock pot recipes on google. Here's one for soups.

I abs love my crock pot & yes I leave the house...with it on...low. Not a big deal imo...and the recipes are awesome. Making a beef pot roast for hubs this week for his birthday with potatoes, etc. and loads of herbs. I agree with Carolly, par boil the potatoes/carrots for about 20 min or so...what a difference.
Nomad

Slow cooking

Post by Nomad »

Your meals will be as flavorable as the ingredients you put in the pot.

Get a slow cooker cook book. It will give you some great ideas or even get slow cooker recipes off of the world wide web.

http://slowandsimple.com/
I AM AWESOME MAN
Betty Boop

Slow cooking

Post by Betty Boop »

I bought one, I threw lots of ingredients in it earlier this afternoon. It smells wonderful, it's nearly done. I had to feed the children something else for tea, they couldn't wait :wah:.

Oh well I won't be cooking tomorrow they can eat this stew. ;)
Carolly

Slow cooking

Post by Carolly »

Betty Boop;1260556 wrote: I bought one, I threw lots of ingredients in it earlier this afternoon. It smells wonderful, it's nearly done. I had to feed the children something else for tea, they couldn't wait :wah:.

Oh well I won't be cooking tomorrow they can eat this stew. ;)Got a Pot Roast in mine at the mo:-4
AussiePam

Slow cooking

Post by AussiePam »

Hi Carolly, Betty, Kathy, Nomad, Ducky - I love my slow cooker. It's especially great in winter and if you know you're going to be out all day. You do the work in the morning then when you're finally home, tired and hungry - the house smells wonderful and you just pour the wine and serve up!! Bliss.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Odie

Slow cooking

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1260556 wrote: I bought one, I threw lots of ingredients in it earlier this afternoon. It smells wonderful, it's nearly done. I had to feed the children something else for tea, they couldn't wait :wah:.

Oh well I won't be cooking tomorrow they can eat this stew. ;)

oh wonderful, so glad you did buy one!:-6

let me know how your stew tastes.:guitarist
Betty Boop

Slow cooking

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1260615 wrote: oh wonderful, so glad you did buy one!:-6

let me know how your stew tastes.:guitarist

Stew tasted delish thanks! And loads left over for today, meaning I can get on with an essay and a presentation :guitarist
qsducks

Slow cooking

Post by qsducks »

Betty Boop;1260728 wrote: Stew tasted delish thanks! And loads left over for today, meaning I can get on with an essay and a presentation :guitarist

I'm heading over to your place with some pumpernickel bread & butter:wah:
Betty Boop

Slow cooking

Post by Betty Boop »

qsducks;1260740 wrote: I'm heading over to your place with some pumpernickel bread & butter:wah:

There's plenty left for tea, can you write essays :wah:
qsducks

Slow cooking

Post by qsducks »

Betty Boop;1260741 wrote: There's plenty left for tea, can you write essays :wah:

at the moment I can write an essay about an idiotic husband who took my car & have no car at the moment...and have to get stuff for our dinner:wah:..did I mention I'd like to kill him?
AussiePam

Slow cooking

Post by AussiePam »

I'm weird but I used to enjoy writing essays, Betty B !!! Good luck with that!!! What's the topic?? This isn't about misogyny (or not) in John Donne?????
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Return to “Home Management”