Lobster fishing

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1256257 wrote: yep that's it. I hope we get a better price this year, my income for the last season was down 39%

so your a lobster fishermen, good luck fisher!:guitarist:guitarist

down 39% is unrealistic!:-5

no wonder I can't afford them when they arrive here.

not many can anymore, unless the go on sale, and that's usually maybe around Christmas.
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks

Lobster fishing

Post by qsducks »

Kathy Ellen;633514 wrote: Not sure Fischer, think it was long line...can't put my hand on the book right now. The book is called "The Hungry Ocean."

She did long line & was featured in the movie The Perfect Storm
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

qsducks;1256299 wrote: She did long line & was featured in the movie The Perfect Storm

that post you quoted was almost over 2 and a half years ago, try and stick with today's program eh?:wah:
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1256285 wrote: so your a lobster fishermen, good luck fisher!:guitarist:guitarist

down 39% is unrealistic!:-5

no wonder I can't afford them when they arrive here.

not many can anymore, unless the go on sale, and that's usually maybe around Christmas.

last year in our area they were cheaper than hamburg that's why my income was down...
A witch will get a better grip on the broom if she is without panties!
qsducks

Lobster fishing

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1256306 wrote: that post you quoted was almost over 2 and a half years ago, try and stick with today's program eh?:wah:

I was quoting Kathy ellen...READ:thinking::wah:
Kathy Ellen

Lobster fishing

Post by Kathy Ellen »

qsducks;1256299 wrote: She did long line & was featured in the movie The Perfect Storm

Yes, she was....I loved that movie although it was so sad.

Have you read Linda's books. She's not a professional writer, but her books are great...interesting and insightful about fishing:-6
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1256366 wrote: last year in our area they were cheaper than hamburg that's why my income was down...

how is it looking now for your area this year?
qsducks

Lobster fishing

Post by qsducks »

Kathy Ellen;1256401 wrote: Yes, she was....I loved that movie although it was so sad.

Have you read Linda's books. She's not a professional writer, but her books are great...interesting and insightful about fishing:-6

If I can find the book...I can send it to you...my brother wrote it...called the Doryman's Reflection. My brother has done everything from fishing with Cape May, NJ, to Alaska, California & Maine. He knows Linda Greenlaw & she is quoted in his book.

Kathy, I can send you the book if you want...my brother has over 25 yrs fishing experience, lobsters, etc.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1256404 wrote: how is it looking now for your area this year?

We won't know for sure what our price will be until we start fishing. There are a few rumors going around saying it may be a bit better, time will tell I guess..
qsducks

Lobster fishing

Post by qsducks »

The book is being wrapped & being sent to Kathy Ellen tomorrow...I hope you enjoy it & send it back when you're done:-4
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1256423 wrote: We won't know for sure what our price will be until we start fishing. There are a few rumors going around saying it may be a bit better, time will tell I guess..

so in reality this has nothing to do with the shortage of lobsters.

its all politics?
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

[QUOTE=Odie;1256497]so in reality this has nothing to do with the shortage of lobsters.

its all politics?[/QUOT

usually the ways it goes is that the fewer the lobsters the higher the price. As the season goes on and the weather gets worst there are fewer lobsters landed and the price goes up.
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1256515 wrote: [QUOTE=Odie;1256497]so in reality this has nothing to do with the shortage of lobsters.

its all politics?[/QUOT

usually the ways it goes is that the fewer the lobsters the higher the price. As the season goes on and the weather gets worst there are fewer lobsters landed and the price goes up.

so its the total at the end of the season, not the total per day?
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1256519 wrote: [QUOTE=fisher;1256515]

so its the total at the end of the season, not the total per day?

well not really

At the first of the season the catch tends to be high and the price is lower, as the season goes on the catch drops and the price goes up. usually...
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1256523 wrote: [QUOTE=Odie;1256519]

well not really

At the first of the season the catch tends to be high and the price is lower, as the season goes on the catch drops and the price goes up. usually...

We used to watch the fisherman come in every day on our yearly vacation to N.B, and see how their catch was, they work so hard for so little money and such a short time to do it all in.

and working 7 days a week back then.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1256531 wrote: [QUOTE=fisher;1256523]

We used to watch the fisherman come in every day on our yearly vacation to N.B, and see how their catch was, they work so hard for so little money and such a short time to do it all in.

and working 7 days a week back then.

Yes I agree we do work hard for what we catch...
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1256588 wrote: [QUOTE=Odie;1256531]

Yes I agree we do work hard for what we catch...

how long does your season run in N.S.?
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1256608 wrote: [QUOTE=fisher;1256588]

how long does your season run in N.S.?

6 months... Starts the last Mon in Nov till the end of May
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1256613 wrote: [QUOTE=Odie;1256608]

6 months... Starts the last Mon in Nov till the end of May

that's a long season! No wonder I never hear from you.:yh_rotfl

They always said June in N.B was the time for lobster, wow, have things changed in 27 years.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1256637 wrote: [QUOTE=fisher;1256613]

that's a long season! No wonder I never hear from you.:yh_rotfl

They always said June in N.B was the time for lobster, wow, have things changed in 27 years.

yes they have a summer season we have a winter one
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1256652 wrote: [QUOTE=Odie;1256637]

yes they have a summer season we have a winter one

so the same areas are fished year round?

doesn't that mean less lobsters?
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1256656 wrote: [QUOTE=fisher;1256652]

so the same areas are fished year round?

doesn't that mean less lobsters?

No I am in Nova Scotia you are talking about New Brunswick.
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1256664 wrote: [QUOTE=Odie;1256656]

I know that.:D

I just assumed they would all be fished out by now.

good to know they're not.
Oscar Namechange

Lobster fishing

Post by Oscar Namechange »

fisher;1256664 wrote: [QUOTE=Odie;1256656]

I adore Lobster. When we had Bail out here, the giant Supermarkets went into hypa competion and one well known store cut the price of pre cooked Lobsters to just £5 each. I did stock up the freezer to take advantage as I was sure once the econmic crisis was over, we would see them return to the usual price. As predicted, they have.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

oscar;1256691 wrote: [QUOTE=fisher;1256664]

I adore Lobster. When we had Bail out here, the giant Supermarkets went into hypa competion and one well known store cut the price of pre cooked Lobsters to just £5 each. I did stock up the freezer to take advantage as I was sure once the econmic crisis was over, we would see them return to the usual price. As predicted, they have.

What is the price of lobsters in your area? Can you get fresh Lobsters there?
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1256678 wrote: [QUOTE=fisher;1256664]

I know that.:D

I just assumed they would all be fished out by now.

good to know they're not.

yes it is. That is the main reason why we have a season, to prevent over fishing.
Oscar Namechange

Lobster fishing

Post by Oscar Namechange »

fisher;1256693 wrote: [QUOTE=oscar;1256691]

What is the price of lobsters in your area? Can you get fresh Lobsters there? yes, we can get fresh Live Lobster from good Fishmongers. The Coastal area's of Britian are better for Lobster to buy fresh and my preference is Cornwall in the West of England. Prices vary but the Average Price of fresh cooked Lobster is £22 for large, £14 for small to medium.. Fresh Live Lobster prices are exactly the same.

When we had the competition in the Gianst Supermarkets, one cut the price of cooked Lobster to £5 each. In supermarkets, a cooked large Lobster is around £10 as they do not have the over-heads of the smaller Fishmongers.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

oscar;1256696 wrote: [QUOTE=fisher;1256693] yes, we can get fresh Live Lobster from good Fishmongers. The Coastal area's of Britian are better for Lobster to buy fresh and my preference is Cornwall in the West of England. Prices vary but the Average Price of fresh cooked Lobster is £22 for large, £14 for small to medium.. Fresh Live Lobster prices are exactly the same.

When we had the competition in the Gianst Supermarkets, one cut the price of cooked Lobster to £5 each. In supermarkets, a cooked large Lobster is around £10 as they do not have the over-heads of the smaller Fishmongers.

I had no idea you could get fresh lobster!

Our supermarkets are expensive, they're not cooked, and roughly $10.00 for just a small one.

The giant competition you had must have been wonderful, to buy them for that price is just incredible.

We have fresh fish supermarkets here, but they are above average pricing, then you have the skanky cheap ones you wouldn't dare walk in.
Mustang

Lobster fishing

Post by Mustang »

An interesting read, your thread here Fisher. :-6

What is your favorite way to prepare lobster? *I did read that you boiled a pot on the boat* But are there others ways you enjoy cooking it?

It's amazing to learn all the work you go through to harvest lobster and get paid a minimal price for them. You've got to love the job or I guess you wouldn't be doing it. ;)
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Mustang;1304067 wrote: An interesting read, your thread here Fisher. :-6

What is your favorite way to prepare lobster? *I did read that you boiled a pot on the boat* But are there others ways you enjoy cooking it?

It's amazing to learn all the work you go through to harvest lobster and get paid a minimal price for them. You've got to love the job or I guess you wouldn't be doing it. ;)

There are many ways you can prepare lobster but I usually just stick to boiling them or should say steam them, you only put a small amount of water in the pot. Friends of mine like to bake there lobsters but I have not tried it that way yet but plan to.

It has only been the last couple of years that the price has been so low. Around 4 years ago I remember getting $15.00 lb. Lots of money to be made and everybody was trying to get into the business. Now is not the case and if it does not change soon I will be looking else where for work. it is way too much work for $4.00 per lb.
LarsMac

Lobster fishing

Post by LarsMac »

fisher;1304382 wrote: There are many ways you can prepare lobster but I usually just stick to boiling them or should say steam them, you only put a small amount of water in the pot. Friends of mine like to bake there lobsters but I have not tried it that way yet but plan to.

It has only been the last couple of years that the price has been so low. Around 4 years ago I remember getting $15.00 lb. Lots of money to be made and everybody was trying to get into the business. Now is not the case and if it does not change soon I will be looking else where for work. it is way too much work for $4.00 per lb.

That is pretty sad, when you see the price the restaurants are charging.

The other day I met some folks for lunch at a "Red Lobster" and they were selling them at $32/ lb

Then they tried to tell us the quarters in the tank were 2 lb.

(I ordered the coconut shrimp.)
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1304382 wrote: There are many ways you can prepare lobster but I usually just stick to boiling them or should say steam them, you only put a small amount of water in the pot. Friends of mine like to bake there lobsters but I have not tried it that way yet but plan to.

We do the same, cook them in boiling water.

I checked last week and they were 9.99 at our supermarket, fresh from a tank.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1304389 wrote: We do the same, cook them in boiling water.

I checked last week and they were 9.99 at our supermarket, fresh from a tank.

Ok Thanks Odie.
Mustang

Lobster fishing

Post by Mustang »

Steaming lobster is the way we fix them too.

No, I don't imagine doing all that work for $4.00 a pound is profitable. I did some checking on the net and it appears that the $4.00-$4.50 per pound is the going rate right now. Hard to believe when we're paying such a high price for them. Like I said, the last lobster we bought were $23.99 a pound.

I hope for your sake Fisher, that prices will rise for you. ;)
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1304396 wrote: Steaming lobster is the way we fix them too.

No, I don't imagine doing all that work for $4.00 a pound is profitable. I did some checking on the net and it appears that the $4.00-$4.50 per pound is the going rate right now. Hard to believe when we're paying such a high price for them. Like I said, the last lobster we bought were $23.99 a pound.

I hope for your sake Fisher, that prices will rise for you. ;)

That is a lot to pay for lobster there!

same here Fisher, I hope prices will rise for you.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1304471 wrote: That is a lot to pay for lobster there!

same here Fisher, I hope prices will rise for you.

Thanks odie. Only six more weeks in this season and I can't Waite till it's over.
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1304656 wrote: Thanks odie. Only six more weeks in this season and I can't Waite till it's over.

I can well understand that my friend, as 4.00 per is nothing.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1304659 wrote: I can well understand that my friend, as 4.00 per is nothing.

absolutely! There are many fisherman in trouble, They are unable to make there boat payments. There is also a problem finding crew members some are refusing to go fishing.
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1304662 wrote: absolutely! There are many fisherman in trouble, They are unable to make there boat payments. There is also a problem finding crew members some are refusing to go fishing.

what is the exact problem there, I know its not lack of lobster as I asked you that before.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1304701 wrote: what is the exact problem there, I know its not lack of lobster as I asked you that before.

They are telling us it is the economy and that nobody is buying our lobsters, so they can't get rid of them. Lobster was a luxury food and in hard times people will do without. What I don't understand is that we ship the biggest portion of our lobsters to the US and they are selling for 23.99 lb. I think they are using the economy excuse to rip us off.
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1304775 wrote: They are telling us it is the economy and that nobody is buying our lobsters, so they can't get rid of them. Lobster was a luxury food and in hard times people will do without. What I don't understand is that we ship the biggest portion of our lobsters to the US and they are selling for 23.99 lb. I think they are using the economy excuse to rip us off.

24.00 is a tremendous amount, as here its 10.00, but I'm sure it cost more to ship to the US?
LarryAllen

Lobster fishing

Post by LarryAllen »

I can get lobster shipped from Maine for about $12/lb
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Well I can't believe they dropped the price on us again $3.50 lb as of today. This is getting real bad!!! Many fisherman are hurting and I don't know what's going to happen....:mad::mad:
Bryn Mawr

Lobster fishing

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fisher;1307714 wrote: Well I can't believe they dropped the price on us again $3.50 lb as of today. This is getting real bad!!! Many fisherman are hurting and I don't know what's going to happen....:mad::mad:

Frighteningly, one supermarket chain here are offering frozen Canadian Lobster at £4.99 ($7.60) each.
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1307714 wrote: Well I can't believe they dropped the price on us again $3.50 lb as of today. This is getting real bad!!! Many fisherman are hurting and I don't know what's going to happen....:mad::mad:

I just don't understand this!:-5

then again, we do have fresh lobster for 6.99 a lb.

but I have yet to see anyone buy it.
Mustang

Lobster fishing

Post by Mustang »

Man, that really sucks fisher. How do they expect you to cover your overhead with paying you those prices?

We picked up some lobster tails last week, 2-6" tail per pack for $16.99. Still coming from Brazil. The only Canadian products I'm seeing in our stores right now is produce.
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1307795 wrote: Man, that really sucks fisher. How do they expect you to cover your overhead with paying you those prices?

We picked up some lobster tails last week, 2-6" tail per pack for $16.99. Still coming from Brazil. The only Canadian products I'm seeing in our stores right now is produce.

what produce do you have from Canada?

We have none here in our stores from Canada, ours is from the US.:thinking:
Mustang

Lobster fishing

Post by Mustang »

Odie;1307796 wrote: what produce do you have from Canada?

We have none here in our stores from Canada, ours is from the US.:thinking:

Now that's funny.

We've been picking up the best tasting Canadian tomatoes coming out of Ontario, also carrots, celery and peppers.

What is the import/export business a money maker for somebody that US is shipping one way and Canada the other? :thinking:
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1307807 wrote: Now that's funny.

We've been picking up the best tasting Canadian tomatoes coming out of Ontario, also carrots, celery and peppers.

What is the import/export business a money maker for somebody that US is shipping one way and Canada the other? :thinking:

Ontario's tomatoes are not ready until August.

carrots, celery and peppers are July or August.

they have to be in hothouses if your getting them, we certainly are not.

even that doesn't make sense or we would also have them here.

We always have the US veggies and fruits until summer here, then they are from Ontario.

The only province which may have them would be British Columbia and I really doubt they have them fresh this soon.

makes me wonder where our fruits and veggies really come from.
Mustang

Lobster fishing

Post by Mustang »

Odie;1307838 wrote: Ontario's tomatoes are not ready until August.

carrots, celery and peppers are July or August.

they have to be in hothouses if your getting them, we certainly are not.

even that doesn't make sense or we would also have them here.

We always have the US veggies and fruits until summer here, then they are from Ontario.

The only province which may have them would be British Columbia and I really doubt they have them fresh this soon.

makes me wonder where our fruits and veggies really come from.

Mexico :-3

The package of tomatoes we have, states they come from Kingsville, Ontario. Most likely, Ontario got them from somewhere else and just ships them all over.

Return to “Work Employment”