Royal Mail is to blame for our broken society

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

You have to laugh

Mark Steel: Royal Mail is to blame for our broken society (obviously) - Mark Steel, Commentators - The Independent

The Post office unions can't obstruct modernisation," insists Peter Mandelson. That must be why Mandelson has the thoroughly modern job title of Lord, because he's not afraid to modernise. And no one could accuse his place of work, the House of Lords, of resisting modernisation. Every member of staff is at the cutting edge of new technology, making use of the very latest developments in ermine gowns, and overmanning is unheard of as every single Lord is essential and oozes infectious youthful hereditary energy for the benefit of Britain.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1254389 wrote: You have to laugh

Mark Steel: Royal Mail is to blame for our broken society (obviously) - Mark Steel, Commentators - The Independent What planet is this Idiot on?

I recently solved the mystery for why you get one of those cards saying 'Sorry you were out' when they have delivered a parcel but you know you were in. It's apparently due to Postie's not liking carrying all these parcels due to the popularity of e bay and so leave them in the sorting office for you to collect. Especially if you live down a long lane that Postie has to walk up in the pouring rain. :-5
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1254448 wrote: What planet is this Idiot on?

I recently solved the mystery for why you get one of those cards saying 'Sorry you were out' when they have delivered a parcel but you know you were in. It's apparently due to Postie's not liking carrying all these parcels due to the popularity of e bay and so leave them in the sorting office for you to collect. Especially if you live down a long lane that Postie has to walk up in the pouring rain. :-5

So you a one time labour supporter are all in favour of privatisation of everything? Mandelson is in no position to lecture anyone about anything least of all from the house of lords because he couldn't get a parliamentary seat if he tried.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1254467 wrote: So you a one time labour supporter are all in favour of privatisation of everything? Mandelson is in no position to lecture anyone about anything least of all from the house of lords because he couldn't get a parliamentary seat if he tried.
No I'm not in favour of Privatisation and Mandleson shouldn't even be in Government let alone preaching to us.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1254469 wrote: No I'm not in favour of Privatisation and Mandleson shouldn't even be in Government let alone preaching to us.

So what is your objection to the article?
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1254497 wrote: So what is your objection to the article? The title mainly.
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1254507 wrote: The title mainly.

Can't you spot sarcasm when you see it?
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1254711 wrote: Can't you spot sarcasm when you see it? No.... too busy being sarcastic myself which often gets mis-Interpreted here.

I see all of this has back-fired on Mandy :thinking:
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1254928 wrote: No.... too busy being sarcastic myself which often gets mis-Interpreted here.

I see all of this has back-fired on Mandy :thinking:

GORDON IS A MORON

MANDY IS A TOSSER

BLAIR'S A LYING BASTARD

Can't think if anything nice to say
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1255014 wrote: GORDON IS SEXY

MANDY IS A TOSSER

BLAIR'S A LYING BASTARD

I agree.
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

gmc;1255014 wrote: GORDON IS A MORON

MANDY IS A TOSSER

BLAIR'S A LYING BASTARD

I thought that was nice. Too nice for those talentless descendants of the flea-ridden off-spring of unmarried parents.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
gmc

Post by gmc »

Chookie;1255042 wrote: I thought that was nice. Too nice for those talentless descendants of the flea-ridden off-spring of unmarried parents.

I'm not too enamoured of two jobs I'll take away your house if you don't sell it to my friend Donald Trump Alex Salmond either. British politics today is like watching a smarm contest for the mentally retarded.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Wonder what all the strikee's will say when they show up to the job they have voluntarily stopped doing, only to find it isnt there anymore because the Royal Mail has to close because of no business, due to everybody else going to their competition due to strikee's striking? :thinking:

(Phew...it's hard work to make a run on!)
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Oscar Namechange

Raven;1255282 wrote: Wonder what all the strikee's will say when they show up to the job they have voluntarily stopped doing, only to find it isnt there anymore because the Royal Mail has to close because of no business, due to everybody else going to their competition due to strikee's striking? :thinking:

(Phew...it's hard work to make a run on!)
Lets all Boycott the RM
Raven

Post by Raven »

and the tube! Both are staffed by idiots anyway!:thinking:
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

Raven;1255282 wrote: Wonder what all the strikee's will say when they show up to the job they have voluntarily stopped doing, only to find it isnt there anymore because the Royal Mail has to close because of no business, due to everybody else going to their competition due to strikee's striking?

Problem here is that it's a monopoly. There literally isn't any competition. I know we've got UPS and ParcelForce, TNT and the rest, but they are prohibitively expensive. The posties are the people who actually stick the letters (and bills) through your letter-box. They also carry out a very important function in rural areas.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
Raven

Post by Raven »

Chookie;1255419 wrote: Problem here is that it's a monopoly. There literally isn't any competition. I know we've got UPS and ParcelForce, TNT and the rest, but they are prohibitively expensive. The posties are the people who actually stick the letters (and bills) through your letter-box. They also carry out a very important function in rural areas.
It could take just a handful of posties to deliver what is left after everyone who can, gets all their bills and whatnot online. Amazon and Ebay have gone to having their stuff delivered by others, and I'm sure it wont take long before other companies do too.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Chookie;1255419 wrote: Problem here is that it's a monopoly. There literally isn't any competition. I know we've got UPS and ParcelForce, TNT and the rest, but they are prohibitively expensive. The posties are the people who actually stick the letters (and bills) through your letter-box. They also carry out a very important function in rural areas.

If it gets privatised you can say bye bye to doorstep delivery especially in rural areas. The thing is is the postal SERVICE something you value or are you content to see it destroyed? There's wrong on both sides but most postmen do a good job. What makes it worse is this is not the tories doing it it's a labour government if it were the tories labour would be gleefully backing the union.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1255721 wrote: If it gets privatised you can say bye bye to doorstep delivery especially in rural areas. The thing is is the postal SERVICE something you value or are you content to see it destroyed? There's wrong on both sides but most postmen do a good job. What makes it worse is this is not the tories doing it it's a labour government if it were the tories labour would be gleefully backing the union.
Very true I must admit. I really can not complain about my Postie. He has to go through a passage way and then right up the lane on foot to get to my house in all weathers. It's when he's on his hols, we have the problems, the relief guys just don't care. We live in a small village with a typical tiny little village post office. They are great there, you can go In and tell him you want a special item and he'll get it for by the end of the day. I'm dreading the day they close it down. The alternative up the town is just not as friendly by half.
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1255784 wrote: Very true I must admit. I really can not complain about my Postie. He has to go through a passage way and then right up the lane on foot to get to my house in all weathers. It's when he's on his hols, we have the problems, the relief guys just don't care. We live in a small village with a typical tiny little village post office. They are great there, you can go In and tell him you want a special item and he'll get it for by the end of the day. I'm dreading the day they close it down. The alternative up the town is just not as friendly by half.

That's actually what is at stake-are you prepared to pay to have a service or do you want to have to travel in to town to get your mail.

Return to “United Kingdom”