Hey Hey it's Saturday, on a Wednesday.

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Not sure if anyone heard about the apparent gaff that "Hey Hey" is being accused of at the moment. So before anyone says anything about it, because the apparent offensive incident has made it's way to the US.

Firstly this is not just an "Australian show", but an institution. The show in it's many different forms has been in existence my entire life, (well almost)

the humour has always been irreverent and sometimes saucy and sometimes downright sexist and racist (in the view of some people).

As some of my countrymen and women would know the recent shows have been reunion shows. Therefore they have been reminicing pieces of the show over the last 37 years. Well on the said night of the incident that is going to upset international relations with the US a "RED FACES" act offended Harry Connick what's his name:rolleyes: He didn't like the act and made it very clear it offended him.

(okay here's my bit on this) IT"S BLOODY 'RED FACES'!!! It offends everyone!!!! a boy smeared himself with vegemite last week for heavens sake !!!

Now people have asked me why I found the particular segment funny and not racist. And this is my answer. firstly it was not directed at American Negroes. It was an act that took the mick out of the Jackson family and michael jackson. They did a "Jackson five" act. the history of the act first performed some twenty years ago was of a few Uni students doing a comical routine of the Jacksons. this time round it was really funny because instead of Michaels' face being painted black it was now white. Secondly I almost fell off my chair when I heard the Micahel jackson character was actually a plastic surgeon. God I laughed. They did not do a Negro black and white minstrel act. Now in saying this if someone can come up with another way of white man comically depicting a black man without painting his face up .....I'll go hee!!! yes I realise it's offensive to americans but not offensive to us. I havent heard one aboriginal speak up about how offensive it is because we don't have this history of (in harrys words) "depicting blacks as baffoons"...........BUT! This is an Australian show, delivered to Australians, and for an Australian audience.....I find it offensive that an American can visit this country and tell us how to run our television shows. GO HOME HARRY, and take your white guilt and politics with you !!!!!

and just to add . I distinctly remember watching "Saturday night live" and seeing a black man painted up in white make-up to depict a white man . It was about four or five years ago . and I believe one of your own actors just did it in a movie last year and got an Academy award for the privlage. And what's the film where black men dress up to depict rich white women? and the list goes on .

I'm so angry with "harry' thinks he's Sinatra" because after three hours of laughing my heart out until my jaw was sore I went to bed hurt and angry and dissappointed . This incident may mean that we'll never see a Hey Hey it's Saturday again. Producers will be too afraid of Australian humour.

Next time I hear this person on the radio or TV i'll be turning it off.

there's my two cents worth!!!! Bring back the british show "Love thy neighbour".
Lon

Post by Lon »

fuzzywuzzy;1250226 wrote: Not sure if anyone heard about the apparent gaff that "Hey Hey" is being accused of at the moment. So before anyone says anything about it, because the apparent offensive incident has made it's way to the US.

Firstly this is not just an "Australian show", but an institution. The show in it's many different forms has been in existence my entire life, (well almost)

the humour has always been irreverent and sometimes saucy and sometimes downright sexist and racist (in the view of some people).

As some of my countrymen and women would know the recent shows have been reunion shows. Therefore they have been reminicing pieces of the show over the last 37 years. Well on the said night of the incident that is going to upset international relations with the US a "RED FACES" act offended Harry Connick what's his name:rolleyes: He didn't like the act and made it very clear it offended him.

(okay here's my bit on this) IT"S BLOODY 'RED FACES'!!! It offends everyone!!!! a boy smeared himself with vegemite last week for heavens sake !!!

Now people have asked me why I found the particular segment funny and not racist. And this is my answer. firstly it was not directed at American Negroes. It was an act that took the mick out of the Jackson family and michael jackson. They did a "Jackson five" act. the history of the act first performed some twenty years ago was of a few Uni students doing a comical routine of the Jacksons. this time round it was really funny because instead of Michaels' face being painted black it was now white. Secondly I almost fell off my chair when I heard the Micahel jackson character was actually a plastic surgeon. God I laughed. They did not do a Negro black and white minstrel act. Now in saying this if someone can come up with another way of white man comically depicting a black man without painting his face up .....I'll go hee!!! yes I realise it's offensive to americans but not offensive to us. I havent heard one aboriginal speak up about how offensive it is because we don't have this history of (in harrys words) "depicting blacks as baffoons"...........BUT! This is an Australian show, delivered to Australians, and for an Australian audience.....I find it offensive that an American can visit this country and tell us how to run our television shows. GO HOME HARRY, and take your white guilt and politics with you !!!!!

and just to add . I distinctly remember watching "Saturday night live" and seeing a black man painted up in white make-up to depict a white man . It was about four or five years ago . and I believe one of your own actors just did it in a movie last year and got an Academy award for the privlage. And what's the film where black men dress up to depict rich white women? and the list goes on .

I'm so angry with "harry' thinks he's Sinatra" because after three hours of laughing my heart out until my jaw was sore I went to bed hurt and angry and dissappointed . This incident may mean that we'll never see a Hey Hey it's Saturday again. Producers will be too afraid of Australian humour.

Next time I hear this person on the radio or TV i'll be turning it off.

there's my two cents worth!!!! Bring back the british show "Love thy neighbour".

This has been all over the U.S. News today and tonight and there have been many undeserved put downs about Oz.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Silly media beatup... YAWN.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

The media and celebrities are always looking for a reason to be offended. Gives them publicity. The average american couldn't care less.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

The United States will kick Australias asses clear into the South Pole if you even look at us wrong.
I AM AWESOME MAN
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Sometimes, I think people can be sooooooo 'precious'. :rolleyes:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

well well well I really did expect a tirade but it's really good to see that others found it harmless fun too ........(Mr. wilson we are not alone):)
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

It's been a wonderful couple of months. Hey hey it's Saturday(on a wednesday night) has once again become a family institution in my house. The boys are addicted now .

It's been fun explaining the segments and who 'Angel' and 'Mrs Mac' and 'Dicky knee' and John blackman and 'Ozzie ostrich' are to my boys. They have been combing youtube clips for all the old funny stuff of a bygone era .

Keehan now wants to perform on RED FACES with his friends. He believes he could 'Woof' out a tune. That's my boy!!!! ........embarrass yourself in front of a whole country and get $5000 dollars for your effort. A good little Aussie there:wah::wah::wah:

so every Wednesday night now it's family time in front of the TV (and during winter we pull out matresses and have a sleep over in the loungeroom in front of the fire with chipsand chocolate and pizza and softdrink.........(and a couple of beers for myself:wah: )

Hooray it's back!!!!

and I would just like to say that if State of origin football (a Queensland and NSW game) interferes with the broadcasting of this Victorian show again ......murder could be done. :wah:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

What a lovely idea, Fuzzy, that's what I call proper quality family time ! Viva the family ! Every family should do it, and I'm sure there would be a definite decrease in youngsters going 'off the rails'. There's too much of the 'go out and find your mates, and leave us in peace' attitude these days. Makes me wonder why some people have children, if all they want to do is kick them out to wander the streets looking for mischief, to get them out of their hair! :-5
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

:yh_rotfl I couldn't do that if I tried Gilly. The closest friend of the boys is two KMs away on the next property . Brett drives over there often but to get to his mates in town is not going to happen. It's 30 kms away. :wah:

Brett had his first encounter with police the last time he was in town. (His mates weren't wearing their helmets) ......Now he has a firearms license he has to keep his nose clean. :wah:

I'm fighting hard to give these boys a life most kids would envy, they are happy .:)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Good for you Fuzzy :-6 :D When they grow to adulthood, they will look back on their youngster days with much gratitude and very fond memories, I'm sure. :-6 :D
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Hey Hey it's saturday Is Bck on Saturday nights Yay!!!

And here's a red faces act you'll all love ...funny as heck!!!!

This kid is sooooo cute!!!

YouTube -
Odie

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1340230 wrote: Hey Hey it's saturday Is Bck on Saturday nights Yay!!!

And here's a red faces act you'll all love ...funny as heck!!!!

This kid is sooooo cute!!!

YouTube -

Oh he is just so cute eh?

It's Friday night.....6pm here.
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Australia”