Should the US cut off Israel?..

Discuss the latest political news.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

U.S. must cut off Israel -- baltimoresun.com
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1245676 wrote: U.S. must cut off Israel -- baltimoresun.com

What is your opinion?
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1245679 wrote: What is your opinion?
Sneaky !!! :wah:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_e ... 09-15.html

Yes, I do believe they should withdraw funding to the Israeli Military and see Israel charged with war crimes against Hamas.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1245680 wrote: Sneaky !!! :wah:

Yes, I do believe they should withdraw funding to the Israeli Military and see Israel charged with war crimes against Hamas.

Hamas sure as hell don't help themselves but the ordinary Palestinian guy in the street does not deserve what was done to him - far less the women and children.
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1245681 wrote: Hamas sure as hell don't help themselves but the ordinary Palestinian guy in the street does not deserve what was done to him - far less the women and children.

Yes, I should have written 'The Palestinian people' there instead of Hamas.

Israel seems totally opposed to the US way of thinking anyway.
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

oscar;1245685 wrote: Israel seems totally opposed to the US way of thinking anyway.
Maybe so, but the Zionist influences on US thinking are still there and still very effective. You'll note I said Zionist, NOT Israeli. The Israeli government, whatever it's reasons (which I could enumerate, but that's a whole different thread) has to deal with Palestinians on a day-to-day basis, the US government doesn't.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
Lon

Post by Lon »

The U.S. support of Israel has really cost us big time, and not just in money.
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1245752 wrote: The U.S. support of Israel has really cost us big time, and not just in money.

I'd be very interested in your views as to why Lon.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Hell yes, cut 'em off. sell out Israel like we did the Poles,Czechs and other allies. Who needs friends, right?
gmc

Post by gmc »

hoppy;1245833 wrote: Hell yes, cut 'em off. sell out Israel like we did the Poles,Czechs and other allies. Who needs friends, right?

Well you don't apparently (referring to you a representative american that is (I was going to say token but decided that might be taken as being offensive) )-at least you keep saying no one likes you, we don't appreciate you, are always criticising and you're going to go home and take all your toys. Now you're threatening to stop drinking whisky and playing the bagpipes.

Joking aside. It's not all been one sided in the past but it's clear there are those in israel that would push the Palestinians in to the sea if they could regardless of the consequences.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

You get intractable problems like the Northern Irish Trouble or the Israeli/ Palestinian situation and the urge is to build a large wall round the place and let them kill eachother to their hearts' content until the survivors realise it isn't worth it.

Can't be done of course. The innocent, as ever, would suffer most. What does it take to produce an Adams and McGuinness on the one side, and a Major and Blair or the other? Why have the Irish Troubles seemed to die down and the Palestinian troubles seemed to get worse? Is it down to the "eye for an eye" mentality they seem to have out there?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1245858 wrote: Joking aside. It's not all been one sided in the past but it's clear there are those in israel that would push the Palestinians in to the sea if they could regardless of the consequences. I really can't take much more of this Auld Yin... having to agree with you twice in two days.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1245860 wrote: You get intractable problems like the Northern Irish Trouble or the Israeli/ Palestinian situation and the urge is to build a large wall round the place and let them kill eachother to their hearts' content until the survivors realise it isn't worth it.

Can't be done of course. The innocent, as ever, would suffer most. What does it take to produce an Adams and McGuinness on the one side, and a Major and Blair or the other? Why have the Irish Troubles seemed to die down and the Palestinian troubles seemed to get worse? Is it down to the "eye for an eye" mentality they seem to have out there?

What did it in Northern ireland was the final cutting off of financial support from the united states and the real ira finally being designated as a terrorist organisation by the us government after 911. maybe the same will work for israel. Never mind asking Libya for compensation for supplying arms to the ira they should ask the states for it as well for financing them in the first place. Talk about the elephant in the room nobody wants to mention.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

gmc;1245882 wrote: What did it in Northern ireland was the final cutting off of financial support from the united states and the real ira finally being designated as a terrorist organisation by the us government after 911. maybe the same will work for israel. Never mind asking Libya for compensation for supplying arms to the ira they should ask the states for it as well for financing them in the first place. Talk about the elephant in the room nobody wants to mention.

Israel will always find ways to survive. Cutting off support may just do more harm than good. And not just to Israel. Israel is not stupid and helpless. The world taught them how to unite, defend themselves and be as ruthless as their enemies. So, why direct attention only to Israel? Is it jealousy, because Israel can and has won in spite of the odds against it?

I would cut off support to many other places before I would cast aside Israel.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Good Friday agreement came into force 1999 but there had been several years negotiations before that:

The first moves towards peace progressed along two parallel routes. Route one sought to maintain momentum between the constitutional parties, and route two saw the first tentative moves to involve republicans in talks. In 1990, the Northern Ireland Secretary of State Sir Peter Brooke authorised secret contact with the IRA in order to find the conditions under which republicans would consider calling a ceasefire and was complemented by more public overtures. In late 1992, the Irish Prime Minister Albert Reynolds, unaware of the back channel between the IRA and British government, authorised secret contacts between his officials and senior members of Sinn Féin.

CAIN: Northern Ireland: The background to the Peace Process, by John Darby (2003)

So we had a decade of work behind the scenes before 9/11/2001. I agree that the change in attitude and law in the US forced most dissident elements of PIRA to conform with the leadership but the genuine quest for peace had begun in the early '90s - long before 911 and the proscribing of PIRA and Noraid in the States.

So I suppose I think without the US deciding to stop sponsoring terrorism the Agreement wouldn't have worked; but without McGuinness, Adams, Brooke and Major (followed by Blair) the quest for peace would never have started...

gmc

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1245906 wrote: Good Friday agreement came into force 1999 but there had been several years negotiations before that:

CAIN: Northern Ireland: The background to the Peace Process, by John Darby (2003)

So we had a decade of work behind the scenes before 9/11/2001. I agree that the change in attitude and law in the US forced most dissident elements of PIRA to conform with the leadership but the genuine quest for peace had begun in the early '90s - long before 911 and the proscribing of PIRA and Noraid in the States.

So I suppose I think without the US deciding to stop sponsoring terrorism the Agreement wouldn't have worked; but without McGuinness, Adams, Brooke and Major (followed by Blair) the quest for peace would never have started...

You also need to talk to both sides you can't just say you will never talk to terrorists especially if there is real cause for their grievances, if that attitude had prevailed it would still be going on. All warfare depends on economics-without the funds you can't contunue. the way to stop fundamentalist islamic terrorists IMO is to stop their funding. That means going after the saudi banks that are money laundering for them.

posted by hoppy

Israel will always find ways to survive. Cutting off support may just do more harm than good. And not just to Israel. Israel is not stupid and helpless. The world taught them how to unite, defend themselves and be as ruthless as their enemies. So, why direct attention only to Israel? Is it jealousy, because Israel can and has won in spite of the odds against it?

I would cut off support to many other places before I would cast aside Israel.

Kniowing they don;t have a blank cheque and a carte blancvhe might go some ways to getting them to sit down-same with the palestinians who is financing it all?
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

gmc;1245909 wrote: You also need to talk to both sides you can't just say you will never talk to terrorists especially if there is real cause for their grievances, if that attitude had prevailed it would still be going on. All warfare depends on economics-without the funds you can't contunue. the way to stop fundamentalist islamic terrorists IMO is to stop their funding. That means going after the saudi banks that are money laundering for them.

posted by hoppy

Kniowing they don;t have a blank cheque and a carte blancvhe might go some ways to getting them to sit down-same with the palestinians who is financing it all?

On another thread awhile back I believe it was you who whined about the USA dragging it's feet about getting involved in WW2. And about selling England arms at inflated prices while England was fighting for it's life.

But now, you seem perfectly willing, even eager, to see Israel put into that position, knowing full well it's neighbors would once more try to stomp the snot out of Israel should the USA cut Israel adrift. See how you are?
gmc

Post by gmc »

hoppy;1245931 wrote: On another thread awhile back I believe it was you who whined about the USA dragging it's feet about getting involved in WW2. And about selling England arms at inflated prices while England was fighting for it's life.

But now, you seem perfectly willing, even eager, to see Israel put into that position, knowing full well it's neighbors would once more try to stomp the snot out of Israel should the USA cut Israel adrift. See how you are?#

I wasn't whining about it I was highlighting your lack of knowledge in the vain hope it might intrigue you enough to go away and find out what actually happened, you get fed up with americans who seem to delude themselves they saved us from invasion when the reality was actually very different. You weren't allies of the poles of czechs to begin with either though I would agree we sold them down the river, churchill especially, realistically it would have meant the war continuing but against russia

The situation with israel is very different. the time when their very survival was at stake is long gone but their continuing actions in Palestine can no longer be justified merely as self defence. Islamic terrorism started with the palestinians. It's time to re-think but so long as they believe america will back them no matter what where is the incentive to talk? They will have to sit down and talk to terrorists to make peace. Israel started as a terrorist state and their first leader was a terrorist so they surely can relate to someone else using terrorism to get their point across. The threat of being cut off might be enough to do it-who knows? What if israel uses it's nuclear weapons against iran in a pre-emptive strike?
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

When I become the new world leader, none of this will happen again. Not on my watch. BRRRAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

hoppy;1245951 wrote: When I become the new world leader, none of this will happen again. Not on my watch. BRRRAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!:yh_rotfl
Can I be your 2nd In command?
gmc

Post by gmc »

is the project for the new american century still around or have they faded away? haven't seen them mentioned for a while
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

It'll return when the USA elects a real president once again. The one we have now is busy waging war on Americans.:mad:
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Does anyone know why we originally sided with them?:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

hoppy;1246279 wrote: It'll return when the USA elects a real president once again. The one we have now is busy waging war on Americans.:mad:

As opposed to the previous one who was busy waging war on the rest of the world :mad:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

flopstock;1246282 wrote: Does anyone know why we originally sided with them?:thinking:

After 1945 the British placed immigration restrictions on Jews coming into Palestine - the terms of the Balfor declaration were that it should not impact the existing native population. The Americans and French over-ruled this decision and the UK gave up the Mandate as a result.

The day before the Mandate ended the Jews declared UDI and the foundation of the state of Israel.

US support has been solid ever since.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

oscar;1245676 wrote: U.S. must cut off Israel -- baltimoresun.com

That is the reader's opinion in the Baltimore Sun, not the paper itself. Our local papers have reader's opinions posted in the editorial section, I post 5-10 a year in the Maryland Gazette ( a couple of hundred years older than that newspaper too)-one last month on a different topic. (take that Athletic Department!)

Since I live in Baltimore, I can say this. That paper is only good for the Ravens scores. It is a very biased paper, good for local news, (slanted their way) weather and sports. Just so you have the real background on that paper, and what that article said-it was one reader's opinion, not the paper's. (look at the section it is in, Maryland Voices)
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Bryn Mawr;1246369 wrote: As opposed to the previous one who was busy waging war on the rest of the world :mad:

Hey, we learned it from you guys.:yh_rotfl
watermark

Post by watermark »

Israel needs to have a homeland that is clear to me. Millions of Jews were murdered a few years back. They were taken to gas chambers and shot and starved. This one crazy guy convinced all of his sheep that he was right and thus the almost worst inhumanity ever was perpetrated against the people who were different from said ruler and crazy mini mees.

Now Jews aren't messing around with how they, as a group, do things. They aren't going to trust things to work for them just because of the favor of the universe, and so they are defensive, who could hold this against a people, a nation.

By nature. these soft spoken and humble people, are not aggressively inclined. Because of this, they depend on the U.S. to support their cause, rightfully so, since almost .24 percent of the people in the U.S. are Jewish, give or take .0004 percent. The other 76 are their spiritual kin, wives, husbands, children and also, believe they deserve their very own country.

The U.S. should not stop giving money and weapons to Israel because then it would be like saying we, as a whole, were in favor of insane rulers who could come onto land and kill people! The people of Israel want to feel secure. They want to know that their way of life is sacred. Just like the American Indians do, btw! And the Palestinians!

What needs to happen, in my opinion, is that those guys should stop bickering over which land it is they OCCUPY, and focus on their spiritual growth as a worldwide entity. And settle on less fertile soil, both the palestinians and the jews. I'm pretty sure it was Hitler who ordered the killing of the millions of Jews, not the Palestinians, anyway, for what its worth.

Bottom line is I'm sick of feeling like I'm this seaslug being pulled into the sharksmouth for an issue that hasn't a thing to do with me. Settle your disputes like grownups, is what I'm saying, instead of toddlers! I'm not sure if sharks even eat seaslugs but I'm not sure about much anyway.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

watermark: You are starting to see the problem.

Settle it like grownups? They ARE settling it like most grownups: Badly. :-1

Inernational politics is like an immature playground - issues are settled by the best abuse and or bigger brother. It's pathetic, but it's the way it is. The idea that climate change might see the Holy Land rendered uninhabitable in less than 100 years could be seen by some as God's comment on the issue.

Return to “Current Political Events”