Do you believe in ghosts

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
lou lou belle

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by lou lou belle »

Right, I have had another distrurbed night... my adorable but slightly dim labrador has woken me up, by trying to come into the bedroom.

Sometimes he had barked at nothing, stared into space and growled.

It freaks me out.

My youngest son, said that he had seen shadows in his room, and I get an uneasy feeling when I go in the spare room at night.

I once felt, what all I can describe is a presence in my room, it appeared above my bed and when I tried to call out I could,nt. I then smelt my grans perfume.

My blood ran hot and cold, really quite scary.:eek:

Now I know there are a lot of people out there who think that this is rubbish, and I may have been between the stated of being asleep and awake. But I would like to hear if any of you guys have ever experienced anything strange occurances?
Peg

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by Peg »

I used to be one of those people that didn't at all believe in ghosts. Used to be. Then I moved into this one apartment. The building used to belong to the head of the mafia. His name was Bill. The floor I lived on was used for his meetings. Anyways, you'd be laying there and feel a puff of air in your face. Doors would slam. One night, one door would slam, when I'd go to look, another door would slam. It just went on and on. I called my husband, who I was dating at the time, and my sister, who I lived with. They come, the slamming stops. That night, in bed, one door slammed as if to let my sister know that yeah, it'd been happening.

A few of us were sitting there, talking about Bill, and the power went out. We all went to the fuse box, and one of the fuses was unscrewed 2 1/2 turns.

I don't believe Bill meant us any harm, he just seemed to be quite the prankster. I went from being someone who didn't believe in ghosts, to someone who believed strongly, and moved out after less than a month and a half.
Clodhopper

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm a don't know. I don't think there are such things, but I know many people who have had experiences that are very odd - like Odie (I mean the experiences are odd, not Odie ;)) and I am not so arrogant to believe I know everything. It's just that most if not all the events that happen can have entirely rational explanations.

Take Odie's, for example. Puffs of air and doors slamming - sounds like draughts to me. But I wasn't there and I don't know. And I certainly can't explain away the fuse convincingly - I just speculate that the last person to replace the fuse thought they had tightened the screw fully, but actually hadn't. Pretty freaky experiences, though!

I've had a couple of creepy experiences - I'm sure most people have - but nothing I can call remotely conclusive and I suspect that the only way we ever know is through personal experience and communication. And I think I'd rather not, thank you!
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Jerry14

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by Jerry14 »

No, but whenever i hear something banging in the night i always start to think about it!
[Signature removed]
Clairs Mum

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by Clairs Mum »

I used to but because my daughter has not appeared I dont now. lol karen
hoppy

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by hoppy »

I believe something is about and I would NEVER try to contact the dead or a "ghost".
lou lou belle

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by lou lou belle »

Why? do you think they could hurt you?
mikeinie

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by mikeinie »

I do not personally believe in ghosts, but saying that I also believe that it is perfectly possible. Why not? Just because I have not experienced anything does not mean it does not exist.

My sister’s best friend growing up lived in an apartment with her mom, and it was ‘haunted’ to the point where they spoke openly to the ‘woman’ who was haunting it. The TV would turn on and off by itself, an African drum they had as a souvenir would start beating, lights would turn on and off. They never ever felt threatened though, and whenever it started up they would ask ‘her’ to please stop, and she would. My sister was there a few times when stuff happened; she however was completely freaked out by it.
hoppy

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by hoppy »

lou lou belle;1245185 wrote: Why? do you think they could hurt you?

I've heard about and read about too many cases where evil spirits came through instead of what was wanted. The warnings say do not open a door to the spirit world because we have no control over what may come through.
TenneseeGirl

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by TenneseeGirl »

hoppy;1245206 wrote: I've heard about and read about too many cases where evil spirits came through instead of what was wanted. The warnings say do not open a door to the spirit world because we have no control over what may come through.

I agree. I am not going to go poking sticks at a dragon, same as I am not going to go poking sticks at things I don't understand. I haven't ever seen a ghost, I think I would wet myself if I ever did. The whole concept scares the ever living crap outa me. I watch a horror movie and whatever method that the horror ghosts used scares me for two-three weeks afterward!

So yes I believe, no never happened to me.:-6
~~~~~

Just some food for thought. Swallow it or not that's up to you.:lips:
lou lou belle

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by lou lou belle »

I was based in Plymouth and my marriage quarters were near Dartmoor, which can be very bleak in the winter.

The locals would say that there was a ghost of a hitchhiker. He was about 25 years old wore jeans and a black coat.

People would pick this hitchhiker up at a place called Yelverton and then drive over a small section of the moor, and on nearing houses the guy would simply disapear in the car. :eek:

Now... no doubt this is a folk tale, but it made me very wary when driving along that road at night. Especially when it was foggy or raining, you know the perfect horror movie weather condition.
gmc

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by gmc »

I don't know. I'm inclined to scepticism When I was a teenager I took part in a group with a Ouija board and have never felt the urge to try it again. I've been in plenty of places where you would expect ghosts and nothing. Been in mary king's close and whether it was group suggestion, a miasma from the nor loch as has been suggested or something else I just don't know but I didn't want to hang around.
hoppy

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by hoppy »

The bible warns against trying to contact the dead or spirits, for very good reason, IMHO.

What God tells us in the Bible about trying to communicate with the dead, ghosts, with other spirits, Reincarnation and Psychics
Oscar Namechange

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by Oscar Namechange »

hoppy;1245294 wrote: The bible warns against trying to contact the dead or spirits, for very good reason, IMHO.

What God tells us in the Bible about trying to communicate with the dead, ghosts, with other spirits, Reincarnation and Psychics I grew up in a tiny village that was suppossed to be one of the most haunted sites in England. There is the ruins of a Normandy castle along with Tudor buildings etc. Coaches of Japanese Tourists would visit along with 'Ghost Spotting' trips for the nutjobs. I spent all my life in that village and nver saw one. I think It's all in the mind.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
hoppy

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by hoppy »

oscar;1245296 wrote: I grew up in a tiny village that was suppossed to be one of the most haunted sites in England. There is the ruins of a Normandy castle along with Tudor buildings etc. Coaches of Japanese Tourists would visit along with 'Ghost Spotting' trips for the nutjobs. I spent all my life in that village and nver saw one. I think It's all in the mind.

Dunno. But, I lived in a hotel for some time. Floor #6. There was a spell where I was the only person living on that floor. Sometimes, as I got off the elevator, I would catch a glimpse of someone crossing my path and going down a side aisle. It was a 30'ish male with short black hair. He was always gone in an instant.

I always felt a presence up there.
Oscar Namechange

Do you believe in ghosts

hoppy;1245304 wrote: Dunno. But, I lived in a hotel for some time. Floor #6. There was a spell where I was the only person living on that floor. Sometimes, as I got off the elevator, I would catch a glimpse of someone crossing my path and going down a side aisle. It was a 30'ish male with short black hair. He was always gone in an instant.

I always felt a presence up there.
This is a pic of my Grammar School. For hundreds of years there were regular and recorded ghostly goings on in there. The Libary was suppossed to be the hot spot and the Borders there just would not go down to the Libary at night. I never saw or felt a thing :wah: I really believe that it was all the stories that made them WANT to feel something.

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by qsducks »

I believe in ghosts...as we have one. We think its the original owner, an elderly woman...starts out of our bedroom, goes down the hall & stops in front of each of the kids bedrooms doors and then walks down the steps and into the kitchen. She doesn't bother anybody.
Oscar Namechange

Do you believe in ghosts

qsducks;1245315 wrote: I believe in ghosts...as we have one. We think its the original owner, an elderly woman...starts out of our bedroom, goes down the hall & stops in front of each of the kids bedrooms doors and then walks down the steps and into the kitchen. She doesn't bother anybody.
Does she ask for food? :wah:
qsducks

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1245317 wrote: Does she ask for food? :wah:

She always stops in front of the fridge which is located at the top of the basement steps, lol
hoppy

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by hoppy »

A cousin of mine and her husband bought a big old house in a farm town near here. They regularly hear footsteps in halls or on staris, doors slamming or opening and small objects being "misplaced" only to reappear days later. Once, their dog was lying in the doorway to their parlor where they were watching TV. The dog yipped and ran over to them trembling. He was soaking wet. Cousin talks to the "ghost" often, telling it to behave or go away. It has not done any physical harm yet.
dubs

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by dubs »

I've seen a few things I couldn't easily explain away, when I worked in a coal mine. I also know of a few guys who've seen something that's scared them enough to point blank refuse to go back down the mine.

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
Oscar Namechange

Do you believe in ghosts

dubs;1245435 wrote: I've seen a few things I couldn't easily explain away, when I worked in a coal mine. I also know of a few guys who've seen something that's scared them enough to point blank refuse to go back down the mine.
Arthur Scargill??
dubs

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by dubs »

oscar;1245438 wrote: Arthur Scargill??

Don't get me started on that tosser!! :thinking:

Oscar Namechange

Do you believe in ghosts

dubs;1245440 wrote: Don't get me started on that tosser!! :thinking: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl I only had to mention his name to see my Father have a fit :wah:
arobert

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by arobert »

no i don't believe in ghosts.
gmc

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by gmc »

oscar;1245438 wrote: Arthur Scargill??

He was right though. Having destroyed the mining industry we are now importing coal for our electricity generation stations, instead of being world leaders in clean burning coal technology for electricity generation it looks like we weill have to buy that from the chinese. At the time he also pointed out that switching power generation to gas was a short term expedient as it would run out in twenty years or so and we would end up dependent on foreign supplies-now more rthan twenty years later we hope the russians will be nice and not cut off the gas supplies to europe.

He may have been an arsehole but so was thatcher.

posted by dubs

I've seen a few things I couldn't easily explain away, when I worked in a coal mine. I also know of a few guys who've seen something that's scared them enough to point blank refuse to go back down the mine.

One of the theories about mary king's close is that the sense of foreboding and sightings of ghosts is caused by gases seeping through form below ground. Could be the same in coal mines although I've never seen any research that would suggest the theory was tenable.

Some places have an atmosphere before you know anything might have happened there others where you might expect ghosts there is nothing except what your imagination conjures up.
Oscar Namechange

Do you believe in ghosts

gmc;1245557 wrote: He was right though. Having destroyed the mining industry we are now importing coal for our electricity generation stations, instead of being world leaders in clean burning coal technology for electricity generation it looks like we weill have to buy that from the chinese. At the time he also pointed out that switching power generation to gas was a short term expedient as it would run out in twenty years or so and we would end up dependent on foreign supplies-now more rthan twenty years later we hope the russians will be nice and not cut off the gas supplies to europe.

He may have been an arsehole but so was thatcher.

posted by dubs

One of the theories about mary king's close is that the sense of foreboding and sightings of ghosts is caused by gases seeping through form below ground. Could be the same in coal mines although I've never seen any research that would suggest the theory was tenable.

Some places have an atmosphere before you know anything might have happened there others where you might expect ghosts there is nothing except what your imagination conjures up. I will get a cup of sweet tea for the shock and go and have a lie down to recover but I agree with you Auld Yin.

As in the hauntings of my school.... It was 13th century. Some said rooms went cold... Of course they went cold... the heating wasn't up-graded for centuries. Some said they saw shadows... Of course they did, it was one of the darkest places I have ever been in. Some say they felt an evil presence... that would be the Maths teacher wandering about, he was a pig.

The Libary was supposed to be the hot spot. I'd find that the moment some-one said they thought they saw some-thing, every-one else would join in... a kind of mass hysteria. I never once saw or felt any-thing.

As for Scargill... Yes, he was right wasn't he? Just as Enoch was. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
gmc

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by gmc »

oscar;1245620 wrote: I will get a cup of sweet tea for the shock and go and have a lie down to recover but I agree with you Auld Yin.

:eek: Maybe you're not as daft as some of your posts suggest:sneaky:
Oscar Namechange

Do you believe in ghosts

gmc;1245632 wrote: :eek: Maybe you're not as daft as some of your posts suggest:sneaky:

Shuddit... You know you love me :yh_rotfl
dubs

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by dubs »

Posted by gmc

Some places have an atmosphere before you know anything might have happened there others where you might expect ghosts there is nothing except what your imagination conjures up.

There could well be something to that, but one thing Coalmines aren't short of is gas testing.. Davy lamps and methanometers were carried as a matter of course. Also the precursor to gas release is a drop in air pressure. Every coalmine has a barometer at the pit head, so's to give a heads up to the districts underground.

Others say that very few natural deaths occur in the mines, most are violent and sudden, and that that's a condition of hauntings......Like I say. I've seen stuff I can't explain, but were they ghosts? I don't know!

I've walked many miles underground on my own, but I wouldn't fancy being down Mary Kings close.........:wah:

Clodhopper

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by Clodhopper »

Like I say. I've seen stuff I can't explain, but were they ghosts? I don't know!

I've been restraining my curiosity for a while now, but I've got to ask - what DID you see, or think you saw???

Please don't answer if you don't want to, but I had to ask...:o

dubs

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by dubs »

Clodhopper;1245735 wrote: I've been restraining my curiosity for a while now, but I've got to ask - what DID you see, or think you saw???

Please don't answer if you don't want to, but I had to ask...:o

No I don't mind telling you, but I'm as baffled today as I was then.

A little background first. I worked with a young guy on a supply gang, basically taking stuff required to keep the coal face moving on a particular district..And one day the district overman came to us, to tell this kid that his dad had been killed in other workings about two miles away.

Fast forward 18 months... I'd done my face training at this point, and cos I had a mechanical background, was working as a power support fitter. Maintaining hydrahaulic supports on the coal face, pumps, and winches..I was sent to another district because they were undermanned, so I collected my tools and caught a train to the other place. I headed into the supply road leading to the face and saw a guy sitting on a tool box, I sort of grunted at him, he never answered and I had a massive toolbag and was in a rush, so thought nothing of it. When I got to the coalface, the supply lads said, damn, if we'd known you were gonna be up the road we'd have got you to run the haulage winch for us. I say, there's a bloke up there sitting on a toolbox, he'll run it for you...The guy says to me, oh that's Jim, he's dead! Killed by a tunneling machine. It was the other lad who I'd worked withs dad.....Now I saw a flesh and blood person, all the guys there told me I'd seen a ghost.....? Apparently there was no-one else working in that area that day, so I'm non the wiser.

Oscar Namechange

Do you believe in ghosts

dubs;1245761 wrote: No I don't mind telling you, but I'm as baffled today as I was then.

A little background first. I worked with a young guy on a supply gang, basically taking stuff required to keep the coal face moving on a particular district..And one day the district overman came to us, to tell this kid that his dad had been killed in other workings about two miles away.

Fast forward 18 months... I'd done my face training at this point, and cos I had a mechanical background, was working as a power support fitter. Maintaining hydrahaulic supports on the coal face, pumps, and winches..I was sent to another district because they were undermanned, so I collected my tools and caught a train to the other place. I headed into the supply road leading to the face and saw a guy sitting on a tool box, I sort of grunted at him, he never answered and I had a massive toolbag and was in a rush, so thought nothing of it. When I got to the coalface, the supply lads said, damn, if we'd known you were gonna be up the road we'd have got you to run the haulage winch for us. I say, there's a bloke up there sitting on a toolbox, he'll run it for you...The guy says to me, oh that's Jim, he's dead! Killed by a tunneling machine. It was the other lad who I'd worked withs dad.....Now I saw a flesh and blood person, all the guys there told me I'd seen a ghost.....? Apparently there was no-one else working in that area that day, so I'm non the wiser.

That's interesting and kind of ties in with a theory of mine. If there are ghosts, then they would be in human form wouldn't they?
Clodhopper

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by Clodhopper »

Thanks. How weird...

Assuming when you say apparently there was no-one else working in the area this is something you can be pretty sure of in a mine. I'm guessing that it is.

I'm baffled too.:-2

Oscar Namechange

Do you believe in ghosts

Clodhopper;1245764 wrote: Thanks. How weird...

Assuming when you say apparently there was no-one else working in the area this is something you can be pretty sure of in a mine. I'm guessing that it is.

Some years ago shortly after my father died I was doing some shopping in my Mothers town for her. I was gazing in a Jewellers window and something made me turn round. When I looked I thought I saw what was my father standing on the other side of road waving to me. I knew It couldn't be him but moved away from the window to get a closer look at his double. As I did, the scaffolding on the shop next door collapsed where I had been standing. When I looked back his double was no-where to be seen. I have always put that down to just luck... now I'm wondering.
dubs

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by dubs »

Clodhopper;1245764 wrote: Thanks. How weird...

A follow on to that......I actually worked on the machine that killed him, though I didn't know that till later..I was doing a maintenance night shift with another fitter. We were taking a couple of flat cars with a new pair of tracks on them to a heading (dead end tunnel) where this machine was. There was just the 2 of us in the whole district. We got to the entrance about break time, and decided to take our break before setting off in. While we were sitting there we saw a headlamp moving in the heading, which was about 500 metres in. We watched it for about 5 minutes, not concerned, cos safety officials could be anywhere, gas testing. We assumed he'd arrived before us, and gone in. At that point, the nighshift undermanager turned up, and we said that we'd seen someone moving in the heading, he gave us a funny look and set off in. We'd finished our break by this time so we followed. There was absolutely no-one in there, and only one way in or out, no-one passed us!

Clodhopper

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by Clodhopper »

Some years ago shortly after my father died

I'm told it's not uncommon for a recently bereaved person to think they see the person they've lost, then when they look again it's someone else or they appear to have vanished.

It's why I say I'm a don't know. I've never experienced anything I'd call supernatural, but the sort of thing you and Dubs are talking about is the reason I can't say I'm a complete sceptic.

gmc

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by gmc »

The last witch

BBC - History - Scottish History

During World War Two, Duncan lived in Portsmouth, the home of the Royal Navy. In 1941, the spirit of a sailor reportedly appeared at one of her seancés announcing that he had just gone down on a vessel called the Barham. HMS 'Barham' was not officially declared lost until several months later, its sinking having been kept secret to mislead the enemy and protect morale.

Unsurprisingly, Duncan's activities attracted the attention of the authorities and on 19 January 1944, one of her séances was interrupted by a police raid during which she and three members of her audience were arrested.

Maybe it's the celt in me but I have a wary scepticism about these things.
Oscar Namechange

Do you believe in ghosts

gmc;1245861 wrote:

Maybe it's the celt in me but I have a wary scepticism about these things.

Celt ??? my mistake :sneaky:
gmc

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by gmc »

oscar;1245870 wrote: Celt ??? my mistake :sneaky:

what are you gibbering about woman?
Oscar Namechange

Do you believe in ghosts

gmc;1245894 wrote: what are you gibbering about woman? I didn't have my specs on and I just saw a four letter word starting with C. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
gmc

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by gmc »

oscar;1245897 wrote: I didn't have my specs on and I just saw a four letter word starting with C. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Cult?:-3:thinking::rolleyes:

Trust you to try and lower the tone of the conversation.
Oscar Namechange

Do you believe in ghosts

gmc;1246250 wrote: Cult?:-3:thinking::rolleyes:

Trust you to try and lower the tone of the conversation.
You'd be very dissapointed in me if I didn't. :wah:

GORDON BROWN ROCKS
gmc

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by gmc »

oscar;1246251 wrote: You'd be very dissapointed in me if I didn't. :wah:

GORDON BROWN ROCKS

It gets a bit wearing.
Tan

Do you believe in ghosts

Post by Tan »

I've seen and heard doors slamming and footsteps coming up stairs. Ive seen orbs. Call me crazy, but I know what I see and hear. I totally believe in science more than anything, but after Ive seen that..hmmmm
Tan

Return to “General Chit Chat”