Bird Flu??

Discussions about your pets!
moonpie

Bird Flu??

Post by moonpie »

My cat brought home a small sparrow the other day. I told him quickly to get out! anyways when she came home later, she seemed fine. Then two days after that she was acting real punkish and was not interested in eating or drinking. Two days to see if she would get better, we took her to the vet and told him about the bird she had caught. She had a slight temperature and was dehydrated, when we brought her home, it was not late until the next day that she started acting herself.

The vet said that even though she may not have eaten it, there could have been something she would pick up from this bird.

My question is has anybody else had this experience with their cats from catching birds?

:-3:-3
Oscar Namechange

Bird Flu??

Post by Oscar Namechange »

moonpie;1242100 wrote: My cat brought home a small sparrow the other day. I told him quickly to get out! anyways when she came home later, she seemed fine. Then two days after that she was acting real punkish and was not interested in eating or drinking. Two days to see if she would get better, we took her to the vet and told him about the bird she had caught. She had a slight temperature and was dehydrated, when we brought her home, it was not late until the next day that she started acting herself.

The vet said that even though she may not have eaten it, there could have been something she would pick up from this bird.

My question is has anybody else had this experience with their cats from catching birds?

:-3:-3 The sparrow may have ingested pesticide in it's food from crops. Your cat probably ingested this via the bird which would explain the dehydration and high temperature... classic signs of poisoning.

Glad your cat recovered well. :-6:-6
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
moonpie

Bird Flu??

Post by moonpie »

Thanks Oscar, I am so grateful that she is back to her "bratty" little self again. There was such a huge dark cloud over our heads for a few days last week wondering what was wrong and is she going to get better. Its amazing how these animals get to your heart.:-4
Oscar Namechange

Bird Flu??

moonpie;1242118 wrote: Thanks Oscar, I am so grateful that she is back to her "bratty" little self again. There was such a huge dark cloud over our heads for a few days last week wondering what was wrong and is she going to get better. Its amazing how these animals get to your heart.:-4
Tell me about it.

If it happens again, I would suggest keeping a large syringe in the house for emergency's. If you are slightly suspicious your cat is poisoned, take no chances, and while waiting for the vet, use the syringe to get as musch milk or salted water down the throat as poss to dilute the poison and the salt water to make them vomit.

I've had to do this with poisoned foxes who are far less co-operative at this method :wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
moonpie

Bird Flu??

Post by moonpie »

Thanks again Oscar, never thought about that, but yes I will. Also, need to try and find a collar with a bell that she will not take off after 5 minutes. We had a collar with a bell, but that was gone and lost in no time.
Oscar Namechange

Bird Flu??

moonpie;1242141 wrote: Thanks again Oscar, never thought about that, but yes I will. Also, need to try and find a collar with a bell that she will not take off after 5 minutes. We had a collar with a bell, but that was gone and lost in no time. If a cat is a prolific bird catcher, a collar and bell are an excellent idea. I use the ones with an elasticated band in them that will stretch when snagged on twigs etc. They tend to hang on to those longer as the collar gives when caught instead of just snapping off. I have two Persians and I bought one the most beautiful pink Diamantee collar. Within a week, she had lost almost every stone out of it. :wah:
Odie

Bird Flu??

Post by Odie »

moonpie;1242100 wrote: My cat brought home a small sparrow the other day. I told him quickly to get out! anyways when she came home later, she seemed fine. Then two days after that she was acting real punkish and was not interested in eating or drinking. Two days to see if she would get better, we took her to the vet and told him about the bird she had caught. She had a slight temperature and was dehydrated, when we brought her home, it was not late until the next day that she started acting herself.

:-3:-3

no, as mine are indoor cats.

but if any cat does not drink for more than 48 hours......it will die...

so cat owners please be aware of this.

so glad he is much better!:guitarist:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”