Charles Darwin Film too Controversial for U.S.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I was astonished to read this. I know that there are anti Darwin folk, but didn't think they had this much clout.

Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America' - Telegraph
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Almost as frightening as the Taliban.....in my opinion
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

Surely they teach the theory of evolution in school? Even in the so called bible belt.

Is there any significance in you reading about it in a british newspaper?
Lon

Post by Lon »

gmc;1241171 wrote: Surely they teach the theory of evolution in school? Even in the so called bible belt.

Is there any significance in you reading about it in a british newspaper?

Evolution of course is taught at the uni level. Elementary and High School depends on the state and district. The concept of Intelligent Design vs. Creationism continues as a controversial teaching subject.

Reading about this is significant in that I have not read a similar piece in U.S. publications. That's one of the reasons I read foreign publications. I like to get the full picture.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

The title line includes the words "according to it's producer", meaning that's merely his opinion because Americans are not interested in his film. That would be more of the whole story you read foreign newspapers to get.

Never underestimate the power of complaint. Look how few complaints it takes to stop prayer in schools, manger scenes in public places and all sorts of other activities.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Hoppy's right. I heard on the radio that it was more because it was a bad film rather than any controversy over the content
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Lon

Post by Lon »

Snowfire;1241189 wrote: Hoppy's right. I heard on the radio that it was more because it was a bad film rather than any controversy over the content

Considering the number of really bad foreign films that do get distributed in the U.S., this Darwin film must really be a stinker if that's the reason no one picked it up---------YET.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Lon;1241232 wrote: Considering the number of really bad foreign films that do get distributed in the U.S., this Darwin film must really be a stinker if that's the reason no one picked it up---------YET.

I agree, Lon. Time will tell. We Americans should be able to make up our minds about a film.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I think it's all hype to stir up interest in a film that would probably have a better shot going straight to dvd.

You would think that if the religious folks objected there would be some heated discussions on the web.. don't see it popping when i google the movie..

remember the 'gay' teletubby or whatever that critter was.? lot's of press.. same thing with every christ movie that comes out..
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I often get accused of not watching what the media has to say....that's a DUH because I used to work in it. I am a substitute teacher and danged disgusteded by the classroom instruction now. Sometimes I am amazed by the fact I live with a man who does not believe in the science of the Earth's history.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
gmc

Post by gmc »

flopstock;1241376 wrote: I think it's all hype to stir up interest in a film that would probably have a better shot going straight to dvd.

You would think that if the religious folks objected there would be some heated discussions on the web.. don't see it popping when i google the movie..

remember the 'gay' teletubby or whatever that critter was.? lot's of press.. same thing with every christ movie that comes out..

I remember that, the british media has a field day with that one- it was hilarious.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Sometimes I am amazed by the fact I live with a man who does not believe in the science of the Earth's history.

That one always amazes me. I know people hold the belief in all sincerity, but it still leaves me goldfishing. :wah:
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
gmc

Post by gmc »

YouTube - Landover Baptist Pastor Preaches to Atheists
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

. . .

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

One only has to study The Ceolacanth to be sure of the Darwin theory.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

gmc: Landover Baptists = atheists taking the p*ss. Rather well...:wah:
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
gmc

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1241624 wrote: gmc: Landover Baptists = atheists taking the p*ss. Rather well...:wah:

I was actually quite well aware of that. It never occurred to me that people wouldn't realise it was a **** take. so is this

YouTube - Deacon Fred at Atheist Alliance 2007 Convention

Don't know about you but I find that atheists feel the need to from groups quite startling.

these guys apparently are for real

YouTube - westboro baptist church protests

We have our nutters but these guys are in a league of their own. I can't imagine any religious group daring to picket a funeral in the UK.

Return to “General Chit Chat”