Question for car mechanics

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Carolly;1239020 wrote: Trouble is you also tend to pay for there tea breaks and while they take a phone call.I just have no idea where these prices come from they choose to charge.

Because most of us dont know how to work on our own cars anymore. You used to be able to lift the hood and recognize what you were looking at.
I AM AWESOME MAN
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

Nomad;1239384 wrote: Because most of us dont know how to work on our own cars anymore. You used to be able to lift the hood and recognize what you were looking at.

You're so right...it used to be so nice when you could open the hood and see everything and you could actually get your hands in there to work on it. I think it's a mechanics conspiracy to make it impossible for people to work on their own cars so they have to take it to a mechanic. :-5:-5
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1239298 wrote: I pumped the brakes 12 times, took the car out and the brakes feel so much tighter!

I wouldn't regard that as a solution. Get it looked at.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

shelbell;1239392 wrote: it used to be so nice when you could open the hood and see everything and you could actually get your hands in there to work on it

You generally still can, 'though you might have to remove parts to get at (whatever). There are many "forums" out there, specific to cars/models or general.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bill Sikes;1239419 wrote: You generally still can, 'though you might have to remove parts to get at (whatever). There are many "forums" out there, specific to cars/models or general.

Too many places where you need a computer with their proprietary interface before you can sort out problems / make adjustments.

They are deliberately making it harder for the diy mechanic to work on the cars in an attempt to force you to use their overpriced dealer services.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1239417 wrote: I wouldn't regard that as a solution. Get it looked at.

why when they are finally tight as the air has been pushed out?

going soon, and I will have them checked.
Life is just to short for drama.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1239456 wrote: why when they are finally tight as the air has been pushed out?

If by "pumped the brakes 12 times" you mean that you just pushed the pedal down 12 times, then because the ari will not have been expelled (that I know of, unless your car has some sort of "self bleed" system), but merely compressed (temporarily).
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1239459 wrote: If by "pumped the brakes 12 times" you mean that you just pushed the pedal down 12 times, then because the ari will not have been expelled (that I know of, unless your car has some sort of "self bleed" system), but merely compressed (temporarily).

yes, car was running, and pressed them down 12 times.

oh so its just temporary?

wow, had no idea, thanks Bill, I will stil have them bleed them.;)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1239456 wrote: why when they are finally tight as the air has been pushed out?

Pumping the brakes is *usually* only a temporary solution, It raises the pressure in the system sufficiently to compress the air enough to let the pedal go firm. Unfortunately it *usually* does not get rid of the air so, over a short amount of time, the air pushes the extra hydraulic fluid out of the system and the situation is back to where it was.

If you have been lucky enough that the air was trapped immediately below the master cylinder then it is possible that pumping the brakes released the air completely - problem fixed.

The other alternative (if your pedal is still fairly firm) is that the air was trapped in the calliper and that there is a slow leak in the seal there (which could be how the air got in in the first place). In that case the air could have been pushed out through the leaky seal - bad. The problem feels as though it has been fixed but oil is leaking near to your pads and rotors.

It would be worth an eyeball check round the callipers on both the wheels with the new rotors to look for damp patches, just for your own reassurance.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

What sort of car is it?
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1239464 wrote: Pumping the brakes is *usually* only a temporary solution, It raises the pressure in the system sufficiently to compress the air enough to let the pedal go firm. Unfortunately it *usually* does not get rid of the air so, over a short amount of time, the air pushes the extra hydraulic fluid out of the system and the situation is back to where it was.

If you have been lucky enough that the air was trapped immediately below the master cylinder then it is possible that pumping the brakes released the air completely - problem fixed.

The other alternative (if your pedal is still fairly firm) is that the air was trapped in the calliper and that there is a slow leak in the seal there (which could be how the air got in in the first place). In that case the air could have been pushed out through the leaky seal - bad. The problem feels as though it has been fixed but oil is leaking near to your pads and rotors.

It would be worth an eyeball check round the callipers on both the wheels with the new rotors to look for damp patches, just for your own reassurance.

I think that is what happened, air was trapped,

....they checked my master cylinder, lines, everything, and nothing is wrong with anything.

yipppee!:guitarist:guitarist

thanks everyone!
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

Odie;1239506 wrote: I think that is what happened, air was trapped,

....they checked my master cylinder, lines, everything, and nothing is wrong with anything.

yipppee!:guitarist:guitarist

thanks everyone!

See sis? All you had to do was to listen to me. :D
Odie

Post by Odie »

shelbell;1239707 wrote: See sis? All you had to do was to listen to me. :D

and I did!

it was just that the air needed to come out.

thanks sis!

your hired!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

odie;1239716 wrote: and i did!

It was just that the air needed to come out.

Thanks sis!

Your hired!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

:d:-6:-4
michaelross

Post by michaelross »

Well, Ive tried adding brake fluid last week, and then had the brakes done the day after that. And when the auto mechanic compressed the piston all of the excess brake fluid spilled out of the cylinder.. and it spilled all over the engine compartment and definitely made such a big mess. . And the next thing i knew was I had to replace my cabinairfilter [ADVERTISING LINK REMOVED] cuz it happens to blow warm air already.. Geesh

And they said that brake fluid does not evaporate. So i guess you have to wipe it off to and clean up any spills immediately. Spilled fluid could damage components in the engine compartment.. And explosion may happen. Really hope not.. :)

Return to “Autos Vehicles”