Question for those old enough to remember the 1960s

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

It's the forty year anniversary of the Manson Murders and media keeps pegging the heinous deed with "it was a reflection of the times" type comments.

I was born in 1966 so I missed all that. I have seen all the standard Woodstock/Alice's Restaurant/documentary specials, but it's hard to get a real feel for what "those times"were actually like. So I am asking what exactly WAS a reflection of the 60s?

Media would have us believe everyone was in a tie-died blissed-out,dropped out, tuned out, Thompsonian cosmic supernova but what about those who weren't? What did a normal, average, ordinary human being think about, worry about, rejoice over, during that time? Was it like they always show on TV or was it very different? Thank you.
gmc

Post by gmc »

YouTube - billy connoly live - life in the 60s

:sneaky:
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

I was excited because the Beatles came to Australia.

That & their songs was all I had on my mind.:-4

I remember the Manson Murders I was a kid,probably never sunk in till I was older.

:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I think that the 60’s were really big for the development of the music industry. That decade, like the decades to follow, have been primarily driven by the growing post war baby boomers. They still drive the main market.

In relation to the Manson murders, when is brutal murder the sign of any time?

OK they were all crazy cult following drug addicts, but those still are around today as well. The claim to fame was the fact that they were hippies and believed that the Beatles songs were sending messages through their music, the primary one being Helter Skelter, which the Manson killers wrote on the walls with their victim’s blood.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Can't help you on this one Reds as I was also born in the 60's. Although I do remember Dydee coming to the house to drop off clean diapers for my sister, the milkman leaving 2 glass gallons of milk, and the really stinky think was watching kids following the mosquito truck..my mom wouldn't let us outta the house when he came by.:lips:
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

qsducks;1228565 wrote: Can't help you on this one Reds as I was also born in the 60's. Although I do remember Dydee coming to the house to drop off clean diapers for my sister, the milkman leaving 2 glass gallons of milk, and the really stinky think was watching kids following the mosquito truck..my mom wouldn't let us outta the house when he came by.:lips:

Ya, I remember that, there use to diaper cleaning services. When my little sister was born I remember the company picking up dirty nappies and leaving clean ones. .. I guess the old disposable diapers put them all out of business.

I remember when we got our first colour TV, could not believe it.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

When my dad got rid of the old Hi-Fi record player and we had our first stereo system.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

mikeinie;1228566 wrote: Ya, I remember that, there use to diaper cleaning services. When my little sister was born I remember the company picking up dirty nappies and leaving clean ones. .. I guess the old disposable diapers put them all out of business.

I remember when we got our first colour TV, could not believe it.

Believe it or not my kids all wore clothe diapers...and were pretty much potty trained by 3 yrs. Besides they make excellent rags:wah:. I used to love the smell of fresh diapers. As for the tv, yes I remember when my parents bought one & then in the 70's cable tv finally came out...the thing was such a pain:wah:, it was a box that had a long cable on it and everyone always tgripped over it. My dad always hogged it:thinking:
Peg

Post by Peg »

qsducks;1228565 wrote: Can't help you on this one Reds as I was also born in the 60's. Although I do remember Dydee coming to the house to drop off clean diapers for my sister, the milkman leaving 2 glass gallons of milk, and the really stinky think was watching kids following the mosquito truck..my mom wouldn't let us outta the house when he came by.:lips:

What is a mosquito truck?
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Peg;1228573 wrote: What is a mosquito truck?

It was a truck that came around all summer long spraying mosquito repellent...the smell was horrendous.:lips:
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Well, I was 20 in 1960. Through the '60's I struggled to raise an ever increasing family on ever decreasing pay. Even then, some plants were closing. I seemed to find 'em all. Some people joked that I was causing them to close. I bought an old house. It was a never ending job trying to keep it up. We clipped coupons out of all the papers to save a few cents. I remember a farmer near town telling us he was harvesting potatos and we could have any that was left behind or overlooked. We picked up baskets full of spuds. I drove $50 cars when I could afford one. Most of them ran about six months.

I remember when Elvis came along. I thought he looked funny in those jump suits but liked many of his songs. Thought Elvis was a **** poor actor though. I saw the Beetles on Ed Sullivan. Good sound, funny looking.

I remember the mosquito truck. Don't have your windows open on the night they spray. We used to buy milk from a dairy farm at the edge of town. One gallon glass jugs. Layer of cream on top. We had to buy the jugs, then bring one or more in for one or more jugs of milk. Can't remember what the milk cost. Seems like sixty cents a gal.

We did a huge amount of our shopping at yard sales, auctions and second hand stores. Most of my old school friends were in 'nam. I would have been too had the army overlooked a heart condition.

We usually had a TV. Black and white. Some were pretty tiny compared to todays.

Had a large yard. Bought yard sale gas mowers. They were usually hard to start and only lasted one summer if I was lucky.

We picked up a record player and a gazillion old albums. Many were in German. Old stuff, polkas and such. It provided lots of cheap entertainment.

Those are some of my '60's memories.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

hoppy;1228588 wrote: Well, I was 20 in 1960. Through the '60's I struggled to raise an ever increasing family on ever decreasing pay. Even then, some plants were closing. I seemed to find 'em all. Some people joked that I was causing them to close. I bought an old house. It was a never ending job trying to keep it up. We clipped coupons out of all the papers to save a few cents. I remember a farmer near town telling us he was harvesting potatos and we could have any that was left behind or overlooked. We picked up baskets full of spuds. I drove $50 cars when I could afford one. Most of them ran about six months.

I remember when Elvis came along. I thought he looked funny in those jump suits but liked many of his songs. Thought Elvis was a **** poor actor though. I saw the Beetles on Ed Sullivan. Good sound, funny looking.

I remember the mosquito truck. Don't have your windows open on the night they spray. We used to buy milk from a dairy farm at the edge of town. One gallon glass jugs. Layer of cream on top. We had to buy the jugs, then bring one or more in for one or more jugs of milk. Can't remember what the milk cost. Seems like sixty cents a gal.

We did a huge amount of our shopping at yard sales, auctions and second hand stores. Most of my old school friends were in 'nam. I would have been too had the army overlooked a heart condition.

We usually had a TV. Black and white. Some were pretty tiny compared to todays.

Had a large yard. Bought yard sale gas mowers. They were usually hard to start and only lasted one summer if I was lucky.

We picked up a record player and a gazillion old albums. Many were in German. Old stuff, polkas and such. It provided lots of cheap entertainment.

Those are some of my '60's memories.

Its amazing whyat you can find at yard sales...went to one last week but I think the owner was new at it...probs thought her stuff was "valuable"..and it probs was back in her day...overpriced big time. It sounds like you had a great time in the 60's & cheap entertainment is still big:wah:
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

I was a little kid in the sixties, much too young for the free love and drugs of the era :(, but old enough to feel the zeitgeist of the time.

Our family went to Expo 67 in Montreal twice. I was nine years old.

It was an amazing experience. It seemed everything would be possible, and the world would become one happy community. I saw British hovercraft (brand new technology back then), talking robots in the Canadian pavilion, a Russian space capsule, a full size model of the U.S. lunar module that would land on the moon in 24 months, and moving sidewalks in the Australian pavilion, which I remember was air conditioned to a refreshing chill, as it was hot in Montreal that year.

Those trips filled me with optimism and hope. I felt so lucky to be living in such a great time.

It was a different time. I don't recall seeing any corporate advertising on the grounds, outside of a few Coca Cola signs at the food stands. It really lived up to the fair's motto : "Man And His World", although you'd never get away with such an outrageously sexist title like that today.

Then, the seventies came along, and everything seemed to slow down, and the excitement of the previous decade seemed to wane. It was still a good time to be young, but I felt a bit cheated that the pizzzazz had pretty much evaporated. Too laid back.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Richard Bell;1228644 wrote: I was a little kid in the sixties, much too young for the free love and drugs of the era :(, but old enough to feel the zeitgeist of the time.

Our family went to Expo 67 in Montreal twice. I was nine years old.

It was an amazing experience. It seemed everything would be possible, and the world would become one happy community. I saw British hovercraft (brand new technology back then), talking robots in the Canadian pavilion, a Russian space capsule, a full size model of the U.S. lunar module that would land on the moon in 24 months, and moving sidewalks in the Australian pavilion, which I remember was air conditioned to a refreshing chill, as it was hot in Montreal that year.

Those trips filled me with optimism and hope. I felt so lucky to be living in such a great time.

It was a different time. I don't recall seeing any corporate advertising on the grounds, outside of a few Coca Cola signs at the food stands. It really lived up to the fair's motto : "Man And His World", although you'd never get away with such an outrageously sexist title like that today.

Then, the seventies came along, and everything seemed to slow down, and the excitement of the previous decade seemed to wane. It was still a good time to be young, but I felt a bit cheated that the pizzzazz had pretty much evaporated. Too laid back.

My brothers were born in the late 50's so they got to experience the 60's/70's more than me & sister...but we had the 80's...haha...wouldn't trade the 80's ever.:wah::wah::wah::wah::wah:
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

If you remember the 60's, you weren't there man..

Wait, that might have been the 70's..
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

The 60s from an average person's perspective:

The realization we are all the same, the intermixing of race and culture, looking over the fence of the proverbial 50s homes stylized in Leave It To Beaver and all. We went outside of ourselves and saw society as a whole, and began the pathway to be more equal. (a pathway still trod, but oh so much closer than it was before)

There was war, a long and senseless war. It raised political awareness of young people, who were destined to serve on the killing fields.

Women were looked at differently, outside the rote models of being a homemaker and bearer of children. We had minds, and could use them in any manner we wanted to.

Drugs-were they there? I guess so, but then, there always have been and probably always will be. It was no different, just not a secret anymore. The shock was that it was talked about.

Black and white images of lunar landings, that had faded into colored versions of reality on TV that began to influence the cultural patterns. It still does today.

Icons shot and killed (and by icons then, I mean JFK, Martin Luther King, and those who held meaning to specific groups) Mass murderers like Manson and them, they were shock factors of society. The shock has worn off now, but society still abhors such things, as it should.

Music-Elvis and the Beatles, Woodstock, and synthesis of words and notes for social and political messages, besides just the good old fun of going surfing with the Beach Boys.
minks

Post by minks »

chonsigirl;1228749 wrote: The 60s from an average person's perspective:

The realization we are all the same, the intermixing of race and culture, looking over the fence of the proverbial 50s homes stylized in Leave It To Beaver and all. We went outside of ourselves and saw society as a whole, and began the pathway to be more equal. (a pathway still trod, but oh so much closer than it was before)

There was war, a long and senseless war. It raised political awareness of young people, who were destined to serve on the killing fields.

Women were looked at differently, outside the rote models of being a homemaker and bearer of children. We had minds, and could use them in any manner we wanted to.

Drugs-were they there? I guess so, but then, there always have been and probably always will be. It was no different, just not a secret anymore. The shock was that it was talked about.

Black and white images of lunar landings, that had faded into colored versions of reality on TV that began to influence the cultural patterns. It still does today.

Icons shot and killed (and by icons then, I mean JFK, Martin Luther King, and those who held meaning to specific groups) Mass murderers like Manson and them, they were shock factors of society. The shock has worn off now, but society still abhors such things, as it should.Music-Elvis and the Beatles, Woodstock, and synthesis of words and notes for social and political messages, besides just the good old fun of going surfing with the Beach Boys.

Here here, Chonsi, those were not signs of the time, those were horrific murders... no different than todays horrific murders. Far to glorified if you ask me.

I am a product of the 60's but was a youngin growing up in the Canadian suburbia well guarded from "those times" My mother stayed home to raise my brother and I, she coffee'd with the neighbors, she had dinner on the table when my father came home at 5 every evening. We didn't have much, and the folks tell me the house they purchased just before I was born cost $60,00 for a 1000+ sq foot bungalow, my dad brought home $90 per week... wow how times have changed. I used to play with my friends on our front street and never worried about being abducted, assulted or bullied.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I was 13 in 1960, I remember but cannot be sure if it was the 60's exactly......Frejus a french dam disaster ?

Agadire not sure where right now......but an earthquake disaster.

Sharpville, South African shooting of students..............

And then there was The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Swinging Bluejeans, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Freddie and the Dreamers.......and many more.

The Moon Landing.....was that then ?

The first TV live from America.......the Beatles again "All you need is love"

Winkle picker shoes, Flared jeans, Dansette Record Player.....with stacker......that never worked.

I am feeling old now.......
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Bruv;1228884 wrote: I was 13 in 1960, I remember but cannot be sure if it was the 60's exactly......Frejus a french dam disaster ?

Agadire not sure where right now......but an earthquake disaster.

Sharpville, South African shooting of students..............

And then there was The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Swinging Bluejeans, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Freddie and the Dreamers.......and many more.

The Moon Landing.....was that then ?

The first TV live from America.......the Beatles again "All you need is love"

Winkle picker shoes, Flared jeans, Dansette Record Player.....with stacker......that never worked.

I am feeling old now.......

because you are old:yh_rotfl
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

In 1960, I was a naive young Catholic girl. The world was black or white; good or bad. Televison was shows like "Dick Van Dyke" and "Father Knows Best". An innocent world in black and white. Problems solved in less that 30 minutes.

In 1970, I was a young woman. I had watched the assasination of a President, his brother, a peace maker, riots in the inner city, young soldiers fighting and dying far away,and news of the terrible murders of several people, one of them another young woman, 9-months pregnant Television brought all this to our living rooms.

A troubling world in black and red. A world with so many unanswerable questions.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

qsducks;1228890 wrote: because you are old:yh_rotfl

Go on make me feel worse........
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
cars

Post by cars »

Yes I'm old enough to remember the 60's well. Yes, there were many that were druggies, didn't follow the rules, didn't seem to work, & always needed a bath. But then there were also many who were so called normal, those who went to work every day, went to church on Sunday, paid their bills, went on family picnics and vacations, and raised law abiding families.

I was in the latter bunch, as I got married very young, (too young) & started a family right off!!

I remember the JFK, MLK, & RFK assinations, & the Manson murders, & the Moon landing, the Beatles invasion, & also the Marilyn Monroe murder! Her death was said to be a suicide, but many felt she was silenced due to her embarrasing involvement with the Kennedy Bros. (She had everything to live for, beauty, fame, fortune)

I remember my 63 Stingray Vette, 61 Caddy Eldorado, 60 VW Beetle, 65 Chevy Belair, 66 Chevy Belair, 64 Monti Carlo, 69Jag XKE.

I remember having a magnificant very friendly Labrador Retriever, named Rocky- sadly he was "dog- napped" when he was 4. A year later I got a Weimaraner, totally different looking & acting.

The 60's were pretty good
Cars :)
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

YouTube - incense and peppermints "strawberry alarm clock / vibravoid" (psychedelic trip)
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

I remember the 60's actually lasted into the very early 70's. I came of age in the 60's. It was a time of social change and turbulence. There were plenty of people who did do drugs and many who never did. Sex and drugs and outdoor concerts. There were anti war rallies all the time....they were mainly peaceful rallies.

I remember many great outdoor concerts and good food.....good weed. Or actually good weed....and then good food. Somehow all those concerts were free. And there were little coffee houses with live bands. We would go and get some great coffee and sandwich. It would always be like an alfalfa sandwich....or some other hippie style food. It was great fun on those warm balmy summer nights.

I dont think the manson murders were a sign of the times at all. Peace was in vogue...and people were generally gentle types. I remember you could trust people then more than now. But yea....the tie dyed shirts and skirts ....they were there for sure. Beads and bell bottom pants...yep. Long, long hair...everywhere.

The head shops started to pop up along Haight Street in San Francisco and they all smelled like incense. Everytime I smell insense it takes me way back. And there were all those crazy art posters ...stairways to nowhere and mountains overlooking the universe.

Return to “General Chit Chat”