Diabetes... aint it just the sweetest thing.

Issues relating specifically to women's health.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I quit smoking in December 07. Everything was fine the month before I quit, when I was at the doctor for my winter cough and hack...

The day after I quit smoking, my cough was gone entirely. I've had two minor colds since then.

In April of 08 i went to the doctor for my annual girlie check up ... I now had high blood pressure.

In January 09 I decided that since I had successfully quit for over a year, it was time to focus on my weight and get myself off the blood pressure medicine if possible. So I cut out my 4 day a week McDonalds breakfast and my 4 day a week Burgerking lunch and replaced them with a bowl of oatmeal and square container of salad respectively. month and a half in... nothing. So I started going to the Y. Nothing. So I went to see the doctor to find out why NOTHING.. result -appetite suppressant and increase the exercise(he was sure I must be cheating:rolleyes:)

Oatmeal, salad, appetite suppressant and trainer 4 days a week for 4 months........ 1.5 lbs.

Let's give it one more month... 6 days a week at the gym.. and I was back to where I started.

Two containers of blood later... type 2 diabetic:rolleyes:

Turns out I would have lost more weight if I had just exercised and not adjusted my diet. If I'd gone to five smaller meals rather then just deciding no more bad things during the day..

But who the hell knows.. this is the first day of the rest of my life.:-6

On the UPSides

On the up side, my daughter did not pass out watching me try to test my blood sugar this morning before our scambled eggs and bacon..

On the up side, the cook book I bought last month purely because I liked the recipes? It was a diabetic cookbook..which made me hesitate, but i went ahead and bought it.. go figure, eh?

On the upside, the doc will allow me one month to try a diet adjustment, even though levels are so high he'd prefer I start on at least a pill immediately. I'm a smart woman and know this is the denial phase, so he's letting me adjust I think.

On the up side, I caught it early. I guess the first time a lot of older folks know they have it is when hit with a stroke or heart attack... I have a 10 year old to raise.. no time for that crap, eh?

On the up side, I'm not the type to feel I know it all.. so I don't mind posting fears and stupid ass questions in hopes that one or more of you is unfortunately in the same boat and have direction and wisdom to offer when I feel weak.

On the upside, I don't see anything in my world as something to be pitied, merely dealt with. It helps to have a real life friend who a the first sign of whine, suggests perhaps I should go buy a pack of cigarettes and won't that make everything better..:p
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Floppy, I know how you feel. I've been struggling a little with my weight and have been eating sensibly and working hard for a couple of months now and the wight seems to just dribble off. Havent had swwets, chocolate, cakes, puddings for 2 months. Fruit and healthy eating 'till it comes out my ears ~ I lost half a pound this week.

I'm heartened by your attitude to it all, though and I wish you luck with "the rest of your life" Exactly the way to look at it, I reckon ;)
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Yep.. The older we get the harder it is to take weight off just that simple everything slows down. :-5 Genetic play a big part in what diseases we acquire as we age as well.:mad:

Diabetes isn't something to fool around with Floppy it is my biggest fear as it runs in my family. I have been lucky so far 62 a bit over weight, blood pressure and Cholesterol under control and no signs of Diabetes Yeah..!! I have it checked every 3 months as I'm at that lovely age where they want to make sure everything stays working, or to understand why it is still working. :wah:

Diet is key with diabetics good for you on the cook book.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I wish you the best of luck with your diabetes and your diet, Floppy.:-6
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hello Flop,

I've been diabetic for about five years now. Mine was evidently triggered by a medication I was taking. (Zyprexa by Eli Lilly)

In some ways I am not the one to tell you about it because I slack off sometimes and I know I will pay the price if I don't knock it off. I already have some neuropathy (nerve damage) and sometimes I get just plain sick of stabbing myself and taking pills and insulin.

That said, I've been shaping up about it because I know diabetes can affect almost everything in a body. It can affect your heart, kidneys, vision, teeth, skin, some female stuff and even your mental state.

If you like I can recommend some really good websites and online communities for diabetics that will help you along.

If you haven't, buy the yellow and black "Diabetes for Dummies" book and read it. That's a good starting place.

It sucks having to deal with this disease (I prefer to say "condition") but you do what you have to do, right?

The daily test pricking and insulin injections- if you have to take those- in my opinion, are objective. It can either be a cakewalk or a pain in the butt. But you get used to it, it becomes just something you do.

To be sure, being diabetic is serious business but it's not the end of the world by any means.

Let me know if I can be of help.

And stay off those dang cigarettes! Smoking and diabetes is a bad bad combo. You are good to have quit and I credit you seriously for that! :)

-Red
Peg

Post by Peg »

flopstock;1223738 wrote: I quit smoking in December 07. Everything was fine the month before I quit, when I was at the doctor for my winter cough and hack...

The day after I quit smoking, my cough was gone entirely. I've had two minor colds since then.

In April of 08 i went to the doctor for my annual girlie check up ... I now had high blood pressure.

In January 09 I decided that since I had successfully quit for over a year, it was time to focus on my weight and get myself off the blood pressure medicine if possible. So I cut out my 4 day a week McDonalds breakfast and my 4 day a week Burgerking lunch and replaced them with a bowl of oatmeal and square container of salad respectively. month and a half in... nothing. So I started going to the Y. Nothing. So I went to see the doctor to find out why NOTHING.. result -appetite suppressant and increase the exercise(he was sure I must be cheating:rolleyes:)

Oatmeal, salad, appetite suppressant and trainer 4 days a week for 4 months........ 1.5 lbs.

Let's give it one more month... 6 days a week at the gym.. and I was back to where I started.

Two containers of blood later... type 2 diabetic:rolleyes:

Turns out I would have lost more weight if I had just exercised and not adjusted my diet. If I'd gone to five smaller meals rather then just deciding no more bad things during the day..

But who the hell knows.. this is the first day of the rest of my life.:-6

On the UPSides

On the up side, my daughter did not pass out watching me try to test my blood sugar this morning before our scambled eggs and bacon..

On the up side, the cook book I bought last month purely because I liked the recipes? It was a diabetic cookbook..which made me hesitate, but i went ahead and bought it.. go figure, eh?

On the upside, the doc will allow me one month to try a diet adjustment, even though levels are so high he'd prefer I start on at least a pill immediately. I'm a smart woman and know this is the denial phase, so he's letting me adjust I think.

On the up side, I caught it early. I guess the first time a lot of older folks know they have it is when hit with a stroke or heart attack... I have a 10 year old to raise.. no time for that crap, eh?

On the up side, I'm not the type to feel I know it all.. so I don't mind posting fears and stupid ass questions in hopes that one or more of you is unfortunately in the same boat and have direction and wisdom to offer when I feel weak.

On the upside, I don't see anything in my world as something to be pitied, merely dealt with. It helps to have a real life friend who a the first sign of whine, suggests perhaps I should go buy a pack of cigarettes and won't that make everything better..:p

My dad was diabetic; my husband's diabetic. Any questions, just ask. Stress will raise your blood sugar as will infections. Rice sends my husband's skyrocketing. Pasta and potatoes don't seem to raise his much but everyone is different.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

One BIL is diabetic. Type 4, 12 a27, I don't know. He was skinny as a rail and lost down to anorexic levels before they got it under control. He's fine now, goes hunting at every opportunity, enjoys the hell out of his grandkids.

From what I can tell, you learn a new discipline and life goes on ... only the colors are a little brighter.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Flop

As far as the diet/weight change - sounds as if you've hit a plataeu as well as medical issues holding on.

Have you ever exchanged those scrambled eggs & Bacon to just Natural Juice.?

Try eating watermelon all day with one small meal for the day.

Try to jolt your system, with a major change with the intake of foods.

It's amazing how much salt is in Bacon or how much sugar is in Ketchup

Walk alot - I can't tell you how important / vital walking is for weight change & health issues.

I feel diabetes (when caught early) can be controled with diet & exercise, as I'm border line diabetic.

Curious - have you had your thyroid checked ? usually thyroid problem surface as women age. I'm on thyroid meds.

Yes, menopause has been very good to me........:wah:

Patsy
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

RedGlitter;1223834 wrote: Hello Flop,

I've been diabetic for about five years now. Mine was evidently triggered by a medication I was taking. (Zyprexa by Eli Lilly)

In some ways I am not the one to tell you about it because I slack off sometimes and I know I will pay the price if I don't knock it off. I already have some neuropathy (nerve damage) and sometimes I get just plain sick of stabbing myself and taking pills and insulin.

That said, I've been shaping up about it because I know diabetes can affect almost everything in a body. It can affect your heart, kidneys, vision, teeth, skin, some female stuff and even your mental state.

If you like I can recommend some really good websites and online communities for diabetics that will help you along.

If you haven't, buy the yellow and black "Diabetes for Dummies" book and read it. That's a good starting place.

It sucks having to deal with this disease (I prefer to say "condition") but you do what you have to do, right?

The daily test pricking and insulin injections- if you have to take those- in my opinion, are objective. It can either be a cakewalk or a pain in the butt. But you get used to it, it becomes just something you do.

To be sure, being diabetic is serious business but it's not the end of the world by any means.

Let me know if I can be of help.

And stay off those dang cigarettes! Smoking and diabetes is a bad bad combo. You are good to have quit and I credit you seriously for that! :)

-Red

See this how it works young lady... out of bad news, good things rise up... and voilà! ....here you are! :-6

I think the cause of mine had to be lack of sex.. all sorts of chemicals built up in my body with no escape..:D

Can you even believe the price tag on the 'little pieces of paper' as my daughter calls them?:rolleyes: Doctors office had me come down yesterday and they gave me a kit with a free tester and sample strips.. if I'd had any idea what they cost, i wouldn't have practiced so much..:wah: We went to the pharmacy to stock up and I ended up telling the lady behind the counter that if this is what i have to look forward to for the rest of my life, I'll just die quietly now while she still has a shot of inheriting something besides debt.:p
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Peg;1223837 wrote: My dad was diabetic; my husband's diabetic. Any questions, just ask. Stress will raise your blood sugar as will infections. Rice sends my husband's skyrocketing. Pasta and potatoes don't seem to raise his much but everyone is different.

Oh man, rice is my favorite! Now I'm starting to get angry! And if that's true about stress, I'm totally screwed..:D

How often does the hubby have to test himself?

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

That was a super nice thing for you to say, Flop. Thank you. :-6

What kind of meter did you get? There are a bunch of brands to choose from. You could price the glucose strips and then buy the meter that uses the least expensive strips. Companies like to promote their stuff and you can get a free meter. The catch of course is that you have to buy the strips that meter requires, the strips aren't interchangable, but if you use a certain company's products, they claim they can cut your expenses considerably. There are programs for supplies too. I use Liberty Medical and you can also try Freestyle

and Bayer for meter and strips.
Peg

Post by Peg »

flopstock;1223936 wrote: Oh man, rice is my favorite! Now I'm starting to get angry! And if that's true about stress, I'm totally screwed..:D

How often does the hubby have to test himself?

He checks it every night before his shot. If it is under 200, he skips his shot because it goes too low. Not a good practice IMO. I say decrease the dosage. He also checks it when he doesn't "feel right". You learn quickly to tell if it is too high or too low. The kids and I can pretty much tell also. Too low, he begins to sweat and shake. Too high, he bites your head off for no reason. The doctor agrees to his skipping his shot because she says it's better a little high than a little low.

You can still eat rice, just in moderation. You'll find too that the more exercise you get, the lower your blood sugar will be. My dad had his so well under control, even though he had to take shots, that if it was up, they knew to look for an infection. The most important thing is to always, always have jelly beans on you.

Orange juice is also a great help if it goes too low. They also sell tablets you can chew if it becomes too low. Always have something with you. I cannot stress that enough.

It's not as bleak as it sounds. Diet and exercise are key factors in the battle against diabetes.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I'm off for my 10 mile bike ride....TURDS!!!:yh_rotfl

I did it Friday and yesterday swam laps for an hour... I should weigh 80 pounds for gods sake!

I saw some phillo (or something like this) dough recipes... I might swing by the store on my way back..

My sister says berries and melons are my fruit groups...

I'm thinking I'll finally be getting into growing herbs and spices ... cilantro.. wooohooo.... i'll now have an excuse to walk around smelling like garlic and cilantro...:-4

Probably not much dating in the near future however...:D

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Hello Flop, Hiya Floppy, :-6

I've been diabetic for about four years now. Mine was triggered by pregnancy. I had gestational diabetes when I was expecting my son, which wasn't picked up until after he was born. I was told I had a 50:50 chance of getting it later in life. I was tested when I was expecting my daughter but was fine. I wanted another child but had to wait 10 years until I fell pregnant again, which was 4 years ago. During some pregnancy tests they found the diabetes had come back. Sadly, because my glucose levels were so high, I miscarried the baby. :-1

In some ways I am not the one to tell you about it because I slack off sometimes Me too and I know I will pay the price if I don't knock it off. Me too. I already have some neuropathy (nerve damage) Me too and sometimes I get just plain sick of stabbing myself and taking pills and insulin. Me too. :(

The daily test pricking and insulin injections- if you have to take those- in my opinion, are objective. It can either be a cakewalk or a pain in the butt. So true! But you get used to it, it becomes just something you do. Very true.

To be sure, being diabetic is serious business but it's not the end of the world by any means. Abso-blooming-lutely! :D

Let me know if I can be of help. Or me. :)

And stay off those dang cigarettes! Smoking and diabetes is a bad bad combo. You are good to have quit and I credit you seriously for that! :) Me too! :-6

-Red

What an excellent post Terri! :) :-6

Saved me a lot of typing. heh heh

Hope you don't mind Floppy but I'll highlight a couple more posts as some comments are so wise and just spot-on that they need highlighting (and it saves me retyping the same point!) (sneaky, huh? heh heh) ;)
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

You too, huh Rap? It's so strange, 'cause I had no idea how common it was until I found out I was 'it':p now too.

Do they charge outrageous over there for the testing strips too? 100 for $117 at the pharmacy... yikes! That's not the medicine, that's the thing to tell you if you need it for gods sake! Needless to say, I've been cruising on-line here checking pricing ever since..

Red, the doc gave me a freestyle lite tester . How often do you need to do it? they want me checking twice a day this first month... while I'm trying the diet and exercise adjustment(pissin in the wind, I know...:wah:)

Peg, I haven't noticed mood swings, fatigue or anything but the weight gain. I do have what I thought were hot flashes several times a day, heat along my spine for about 15 seconds... but that's it. What else do I have to watch for?

It's the funniest thing, but I'm now looking for the symptoms... :rolleyes:hypochondria here i come...:D

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Accountable;1223852 wrote: One BIL is diabetic. Type 4, 12 a27, I don't know. He was skinny as a rail and lost down to anorexic levels before they got it under control. He's fine now, goes hunting at every opportunity, enjoys the hell out of his grandkids.

From what I can tell, you learn a new discipline and life goes on ... only the colors are a little brighter.

A great story and I love this quote. :-6

Although diabetes is a pain in the derriere, if you have it then it's great that it's picked up! I get excellent and constant medical care. The doctors take better care of me than I take of me! :wah: I often wonder if I was a borderline diabetic before, because the meds make me feel so much better in myself.

Because I had had a miscarriage and because I desperately wanted another baby, I was put on insulin injections to begin with. The needles are very small and you can ask for fine needles so I find injecting pretty painless. If you're pregnant or trying to become pregnant, you are automatically put on injected insulin because it crosses the placenta and tablets are known to cause birth defects. Last Christmas they decided to put me on tablets as they give you protection against heart disease, which diabetes makes you prone to. By then I had a job I loved and felt I was over the baby stage. My kids are grown up now and I needed to move on with my life rather than go back to the baby stage again. They tell you it takes 3 to 6 weeks for your body to get used to the tablets. Rubbish. I think I'm finally getting used to them and it's taken me 7 months. There again, I did have problems with them because I wasn't given a high enough dosage. I was told to take 2 tablets in the morning and 2 at night. Because this wasn't enough all my toes became totally numb. I'm constantly on my feet at school and couldn't walk properly with numb toes, I kept tripping up. :rolleyes: So I added some injected insulin as it made both me and my feet feel better. The last time I went for a check-up I saw a lovely doctor who explained a lot that I didn't understand. He told me to try 6 tablets a day (taking 2 at lunchtime) and said I could safely take up to 8 a day. Having those extra 2 tablets has helped enormously although I still have a bit of nerve damage in my little toe.

The doctor said to always wear shoes or slippers from now on (as I was always barefoot indoors) and to take extra care of my feet. Make sure you wash and dry them thoroughly everyday and check for torn bits of skin-snip them off neatly. If you do eventually lose feeling in your feet, you can easily tread on something sharp and damage your feet without ever realising it, so its best to get into the habit of caring for them now. The best shoes for diabetics are birkenstocks or crocs or any protective shoe. I wear crocs anyway because they're comfortable when you're walking around all day. Quite fashionable at the moment too! :) :-6
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

flopstock;1224195 wrote: You too, huh Rap? It's so strange, 'cause I had no idea how common it was until I found out I was 'it':p now too.

Do they charge outrageous over there for the testing strips too? 100 for $117 at the pharmacy... yikes! That's not the medicine, that's the thing to tell you if you need it for gods sake! Needless to say, I've been cruising on-line here checking pricing ever since..

Red, the doc gave me a freestyle lite tester . How often do you need to do it? they want me checking twice a day this first month... while I'm trying the diet and exercise adjustment(pissin in the wind, I know...:wah:)

Peg, I haven't noticed mood swings, fatigue or anything but the weight gain. I do have what I thought were hot flashes several times a day, heat along my spine for about 15 seconds... but that's it. What else do I have to watch for?

It's the funniest thing, but I'm now looking for the symptoms... :rolleyes:hypochondria here i come...:D

It IS very common, apparently there are MILLIONS of people out there with undiagnosed diabetes! So if you HAVE to have it (and I'd rather not obviously) then at least you're being treated and in good hands. :)

When I was first diagnosed I bought myself a testing meter which came with 10 free strips. When I went to buy some more I think they cost about 25 pounds for 100 strips (about $40) but that was 4 years ago. When I went to the diabetic clinic at the hospital I was told that diabetics get free prescriptions for life on the NHS. So I am given the testing strips, insulin, needles, injection pen and tablets free. They also recently gave me a new testing meter when mine died.

I find I get thrush quite a lot because of my body's changing chemistry, but again, I get free prescriptions to cover this. I also have yearly eye tests, where they take a photograph of the back of your eye and watch for any changes. Apparently the majority of blind people in the world are suffering from undiagnosed or untreated diabetes. I also have a yearly check-up where they test your feet. They examine them and then take a stick with a little hair on it. They tickle your feet here and there and you have to shut your eyes and tell them when you can feel it tickling you. This is how they test for nerve damage.

Every quarter I have to have a range of blood tests. The major test is called HbA1c which tells them how your blood sugar has been for the last 3 months and whether you've had any highs or lows. They also test your kidneys, your blood pressure, your cholesterol, etc. I never used to go to the doctors for me, only for the kids, but now it seems I practically live there sometimes. They are constantly sending me appointments at different times of day which I have to keep rearranging. I try to make them for half terms and holidays as I don't like missing that much school. They're slowly getting the idea! :rolleyes:

As Red said, it's a way of life now, but you can't let it take over and run your life!

I still eat chocolate and crisps but am more wary of what I eat. I think so long as you have a healthy diet, you're okay. I eat cereal for breakfast, a banana or apple at break time, salad or soup for lunch, roast chicken and vegetables for dinner and cereal or a snack for supper. Someone said eat watermelon all day. Please don't do that. You need slow releasing carbs (oatmeal/porridge is perfect) and you need lots of small meals/snacks, 5 or 6, to keep a steady carb level. If you starve and then eat a huge meal your glucose levels shoot up. If your levels are too high you can appear drunk and disorientated. Warn people what to expect, just in case. If they're too low you can collapse. If you collapse but are conscious you need to be given a sugary drink, like coke. NOT a diet drink! If unconscious they need to call an ambulance for you and you'll be kept in hospital until your blood glucose levels are back to normal. If your glucose is too high you need to take an injection or tablet. I forgot to mention, tablets give you the runs - badly! until you get used to them! (get used to the tablets that is! :rolleyes: )

I know this is a lot to take in and it sounds horrible, but in all honesty you do get used to it and it all just becomes part of your normal routine!

Other thoughts:

Whilst the tablets protect your heart, they are also appetite suppresants (which is a good thing :wah: ) and although they give you the runs you have to think that top models snack on laxatives all day, so this is a perfect chance to clear out your system and lose weight! ;) :wah:

I also went through a deep depression and I think these help with that too. I certainly feel my moods are more balanced lately as I become used to the meds.

Hot flashes are a pig. :yh_pig Although I think I might be starting menopause now, the one thing I found and hated were hot flashes. After lots of googling I found it can be one of the side effects of diabetes! However, my aunt was diabetic and on meds, but she gradually reduced her weight until she could cope just on diet alone. I think thats the doctors aim for all of us - to manage by diet alone and not with meds. I'm usually pretty good with my diet but I still have curries or McDonalds or takeaways. I try not to have them too often and I try to choose healthier options, which may sound boring but I find I feel a lot better in myself if I eat healthier meals.

Blood testing - I was originally told to do it 4 times a day before meals. I dont do it very often now at all, which the doctors hate, but I can tell by how I feel how my blood glucose is doing. If my sugars are too high my mouth becomes incredibly dry and I'm gasping for a drink. If I take too much insulin my head starts to swim and I feel sick. If I feel unwell I will always test myself just to see. I always keep bottles of evian water around the house and drink about 1 and a half litres per day. I try to drink less tea and coffee now. I always have a small water bottle in my bag too. I also always carry glucose tablets, just in case. I've only ever needed them once, when I had an insulin injection but didn't eat, thinking I'd grab something later. My arms and legs were like lead weights and my head was blurry. I thought I'd only need one glucose tablet but I had 6 or 7 before I began to feel better again.

Oh btw, diabetes makes your blood like treacle so it might be an idea to take an aspirin occasionally or when you have a headache, instead of paracetamol. Aspirin tastes disgusting but it thins your blood, which is good (in moderation).

As Red said, kudos to you for giving up the ciggies! :yh_clap:yh_clap:yh_clap

They are the worst possible combo with diabetes!

If you have any questions or want to chat I'm happy to give you my phone number. Take care. Hugs to you. :-6
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Oh, I forgot to tell you, I also get a flu shot every year. I get mine in September as the kids always come back after the holidays with all sorts of nasty germs and lergies! :wah: Most people get them in Oct/ Nov before the winter flu germs start spreading. My doctor said that diabetics MUST have flu shots because diabetes and flu make such a horrible combination that you just feel you'd rather die than suffer and apparently it takes AGES to recover from.

Also, I get a pneumonia shot which lasts 5 years. Although it's a nuisance to have shots, and although I do still get colds, I never feel ill from them anymore. Colds used to make me feel ill and cranky with a head full of damp cotton wool, but nowadays I feel fine with a cold. I might get a sore throat or a sniffle but inside I feel perfectly well, which is great. Schools are a dreadful place for passing on germs but I've frequently found that I can happily work through the day when everyone around me is coughing and sneezing . . . those pesky lil germs just pass me by. :)
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Oh geez louise! flu and pneumonia... shoot me now please.. i've never bothered to get those in my life.

i bought the fillo dough...no idea what to do next.. something with chicken and cilantro, i'm thinking..:-4

any good recipe sites out there... seems no matter what i google i get the ada site..

Peg

Post by Peg »

The doctor said to always wear shoes or slippers from now on (as I was always barefoot indoors) and to take extra care of my feet.
Excellent advice.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Peg;1224261 wrote: Excellent advice.

good god, i garden barefoot! :-5

i may have to become a drinker before this is over...:yh_rotfl

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, you will beat this-you will find just the right way for your body to eat. When the weight comes off, some types of diabetes will be nonthreatening.

All that exercise-you are building up muscles, which weigh more! How else could you bike so far and do all those physical activities!
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Snowfire;1223742 wrote: Floppy, I know how you feel. I've been struggling a little with my weight and have been eating sensibly and working hard for a couple of months now and the wight seems to just dribble off. Havent had swwets, chocolate, cakes, puddings for 2 months. Fruit and healthy eating 'till it comes out my ears ~ I lost half a pound this week.

I'm heartened by your attitude to it all, though and I wish you luck with "the rest of your life" Exactly the way to look at it, I reckon ;)

If you haven't had your blood checked recently, do it. The doc waited on mine because I'd just been tested fine last year.. i've wasted time that the the disease hasn't wasted attacking my body.

Better to check and be clear then not check. and if you do come out fine, we'll just start working your butt a little harder, won't we young lady?:wah:

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

CARLA;1223748 wrote: Yep.. The older we get the harder it is to take weight off just that simple everything slows down. :-5 Genetic play a big part in what diseases we acquire as we age as well.:mad:

Diabetes isn't something to fool around with Floppy it is my biggest fear as it runs in my family. I have been lucky so far 62 a bit over weight, blood pressure and Cholesterol under control and no signs of Diabetes Yeah..!! I have it checked every 3 months as I'm at that lovely age where they want to make sure everything stays working, or to understand why it is still working. :wah:

Diet is key with diabetics good for you on the cook book.

Seriously... when I was telling everyone at work that it feels like my body has just shut down... little did I know:rolleyes:

Start walking and listening to your ipod today girlie!:D

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

OpenMind;1223806 wrote: I wish you the best of luck with your diabetes and your diet, Floppy.:-6

diets are for sissies OM...:p

i'm going for a change of lifestyle...

don't get old... it sucks eggs..:wah:

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Accountable;1223852 wrote: One BIL is diabetic. Type 4, 12 a27, I don't know. He was skinny as a rail and lost down to anorexic levels before they got it under control. He's fine now, goes hunting at every opportunity, enjoys the hell out of his grandkids.

But I already did learn a new discipline... they tell me it was the wrong one..

bastards!

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Patsy Warnick;1223883 wrote: Flop

As far as the diet/weight change - sounds as if you've hit a plataeu as well as medical issues holding on.

Have you ever exchanged those scrambled eggs & Bacon to just Natural Juice.?

Try eating watermelon all day with one small meal for the day.

Try to jolt your system, with a major change with the intake of foods.

It's amazing how much salt is in Bacon or how much sugar is in Ketchup

Walk alot - I can't tell you how important / vital walking is for weight change & health issues.

I feel diabetes (when caught early) can be controled with diet & exercise, as I'm border line diabetic.

Curious - have you had your thyroid checked ? usually thyroid problem surface as women age. I'm on thyroid meds.

Yes, menopause has been very good to me........:wah:

Patsy

they checked my tyroid first then my blood...my sister has been researching... she says i can have berries and melons... meats and cheeses that are low fat... and to stay away from white foods... white foods? excuse me? i can't have my wonder bread?

i get a month to try the diet change and i'm already over exercised as it is. my problem is that my daughter(pharmasist) is now telling me i need start on something now as the disease is not holding off a month on my body...

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Flop, you will have to watch your carbohydrate intake because carbs turn to sugar. White bread really isn't great for anyone but for us it's especially not great. It doesn't mean you can't sneak a slice now and then, just switch over to wheat or rye or a similar bread for the most part.

In saying that, doctors are saying now that we don't have to avoid every drop of sugar like was always thought before so we have a little wiggle room now.

If I can make a suggestion, ask your doctor to send you to a dietician who handles diabetics. I saw one and even though I was overwhelmed at first, I learned better what I can and shouldn't eat and she taught me about portion sizes. That's important and it will also help you lose weight.

Doctors are always jawing on about diabetic feet. Annoying! But the reason is because a lot of diabetics suffer nerve damage and can't always feel when they've cut their foot on something or have a diabetic ulcer. If infection sets in, problems, big problems, can arise. Even amputation. Not to scare you, just explaining. Diabetics take longer to heal and get over infection not only because the glucose in our blood interferes with our healing, but because we tend to have poor circulation too.

I know it's a bit much to have to make a big lifestyle change like this all at once and be sort of in the dark about it, but you will learn fast and it will become second nature to you.

:)
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Good friend of mine diagnosed as type 2 diabetic last month. Then found to have non-Hodgson's lyphoma (sp?) as well. It's been a tough few weeks for him and his wife of about a year. Found out a few days ago that he will live and may not even need chemotherapy. Phew.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi Clodhopper, I'm glad for the brighter outlook for your friend. What a scary thing indeed.

Rapunzel, thanks! Lots of good advice in this thread from everyone.

Flop- I'm sorry I didn't see your reply until now- I too have a Freestyle meter. Well I have a bunch of free promo meters but that was the one the doctor gave me to start with. I am supposed to test morning and night (before breakfast, before dinner) but I admit I don't do it as often as I should. I don't do it every day but this thread is changing my mind. So however your doctor tells you to do it, don't slack off like me. I think the standard is 2-3 times a day but your doctor may have a different order. Oh hey! I can recommend you a good lancing device (the sticker thing) that doesn't hurt as much as that crappy plastic thing Freestyle usually issues. That thing was a torture device for me. I'll go look it up and let you know what it is. :)

ETA: I use this lancer. It has little nubs on it that somehow mask the pain by distracting you with another sensation. Autolet Impression
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

On feet: A friend & coworker had half of both feet amputated because he didn't take care of his diabetes. He didn't learn; he lost both legs just below the knee last year. He's in one of those electric scooter chairs now.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

flopstock;1224273 wrote: they checked my tyroid first then my blood...my sister has been researching... she says i can have berries and melons... meats and cheeses that are low fat... and to stay away from white foods... white foods? excuse me? i can't have my wonder bread?

i get a month to try the diet change and i'm already over exercised as it is. my problem is that my daughter(pharmasist) is now telling me i need start on something now as the disease is not holding off a month on my body...

I think they always give you time to see if you can manage by diet alone, although one month isn't very long. They are looking to see a BIG weight loss in the time they have given you. As you said before it also gives you time to get used to the idea. I had forgotten what a steep learning curve this is. There's a lot to take on board. But it does become second nature pretty quickly. I wouldn't worry about waiting for a month. People go for years without being diagnosed so one month will make little difference physically.

For meats you should choose white meats such as chicken or fish and ease up on red meat consumption. Fruit is always good but don't forget it contains fructose or fruit sugar. Your nutritionist will prefer you to fill up on vegetables and salads rather than having too many fruits. They say the smaller a fruit is, the higher it is in fructose, so grapes for instance have a very high percentage of sugar in them. Cheeses also are very high in fat. If I have cheese I tend to sprinkle a little grated cheese over the surface of the food rather than have a huge slice.

You need to start reading food labels. Low fat cheese may be a tad lower in fat than normal cheese, but it is still a high fat product. Bread is not a great food but if you eat it it is better to have granary or seeded. I like Warburton's seeded. Yum. :)

EVERYTHING you eat, not just carbs but EVERYTHING, turns to sugar in your body. This is turned into energy, the petrol or gas that makes your body work. Insulin takes the sugar from your blood and sends it to work where it is needed. Type 2 diabetics either don't produce any natural insulin or not enough to do the job. If it doesn't see the sugar in your blood then the sugar or glucose just continues to circulate in your blood and the levels build up every time you eat. Thats why you feel sluggish because you aren't getting the energy you need sent to all your organs, muscles, etc.

Coming to terms with this is scary but really all it's doing is forcing you to eat healthily and do some exercise, which is exactly what we should all be doing anyway. Swimming is excellent exercise as the water is buoyant and supports you. Cycling is also good. Walking is good but beware of pounding too far, don't forget to look after your feet. Wear good fitting comfortable trainers which don't rub. Hope that helps. :) :-6
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

chonsigirl;1224264 wrote: When the weight comes off, some types of diabetes will be nonthreatening.

I don't think this is the case. Even if a diabetic loses weight and comes off the meds, they will still always be a diabetic.

Think of it as an elastic band. You can stretch it and stretch it until it snaps, but even if you never stretch it again - it will still be snapped.

My aunt lost weight and was able to live without meds for years but one day when she hadn't eaten much and was sitting on her daughters sofa chatting to her she just suddenly dozed off. Luckily they were aware and quickly discovered that she had slipped into a diabetic coma. She was rushed to hospital and was fine, but it shows that you always need to be aware and to take care of yourself. I bet you're like me Floppy, you look after everyone else and don't take care of yourself. Now's the time to start looking after yourself too. You deserve looking after. You're a lovely person and your daughter needs you to be there for her, so it's time to start putting yourself first. ;)
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

RedGlitter;1224321 wrote: In saying that, doctors are saying now that we don't have to avoid every drop of sugar like was always thought before so we have a little wiggle room now.

Hiya Red, hope you're well. I like your new avatar. :-4 :) :-6

Your comment above also reminded me that my nutritionist said DON'T buy any diabetic foods! Apparently it's a thriving market where they charge you 2 or 3 times the price for the same food which is no healthier or better for you than ordinary food and sometimes worse for you if it has hidden sugars in. :sneaky: Far better to eat healthily and have occasional treats. :-6
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Accountable;1224418 wrote: On feet: A friend & coworker had half of both feet amputated because he didn't take care of his diabetes. He didn't learn; he lost both legs just below the knee last year. He's in one of those electric scooter chairs now.

My friends grandfather had to have his feet amputated too, although not because of diabetes. The surgeon told him that once they start to amputate, they have to keep on doing it, so they start with your feet, then your calves, knees and so on. A really horrible thought and one that keeps me on the straight(ish) and sort-of narrow! :o That and the idea of going blind, both of which I dread. :(
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Rapunzel;1224526 wrote: My friends grandfather had to have his feet amputated too, although not because of diabetes. The surgeon told him that once they start to amputate, they have to keep on doing it, so they start with your feet, then your calves, knees and so on. A really horrible thought and one that keeps me on the straight(ish) and sort-of narrow! :o That and the idea of going blind, both of which I dread. :(

the blind is the freaky one for me as i am a computer geek by trade.. not exactly something i can adjust to touch..:-5

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Rapunzel;1224521 wrote: Hiya Red, hope you're well. I like your new avatar. :-4 :) :-6

Your comment above also reminded me that my nutritionist said DON'T buy any diabetic foods! Apparently it's a thriving market where they charge you 2 or 3 times the price for the same food which is no healthier or better for you than ordinary food and sometimes worse for you if it has hidden sugars in. :sneaky: Far better to eat healthily and have occasional treats. :-6

Hi Rapunzel! Thank you very much. :o I'm doing real well, thank you, how about you?

I didn't know this about the diabetic foods! I really only buy the sugar free candy but even then I prefer real candy because I figure I'm safer to have some sugar on hand if needed. And yes it is expensive!

ETA:

Floppy, check out this short portion guideline at ADA... Sizes
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Rapunzel;1224514 wrote: I don't think this is the case. Even if a diabetic loses weight and comes off the meds, they will still always be a diabetic.I don't know the statistics, but laparoscopic surgery can cure Type 2.

eta: Found this

- The Mini Gastric Bypass

New Studies Worldwide Confirm the Success of the Mini-Gastric Bypass! French Study concludes: Laparoscopic Mini-Gastric Bypass is a technically simple, safe, and effective procedure in the treatment of morbid obesity and its associated medical illnesses. Moreover, the procedure is easily reversible laparoscopically when post-operative complication occurs. Study from Beirut Lebanon showed MGB is a safe and effective operation for revision of failed LAP-BAND®. Study from Taiwan showed Mini-Gastric Bypass resulted in significant and sustained weight loss with successful treatment of Diabetes in 87%.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I'm sending my very best wishes, Floppy - and also to Red Glitter and Rapunzel !!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Accountable;1224639 wrote: I don't know the statistics, but laparoscopic surgery can cure Type 2.

eta: Found this

- The Mini Gastric Bypass

New Studies Worldwide Confirm the Success of the Mini-Gastric Bypass! French Study concludes: Laparoscopic Mini-Gastric Bypass is a technically simple, safe, and effective procedure in the treatment of morbid obesity and its associated medical illnesses. Moreover, the procedure is easily reversible laparoscopically when post-operative complication occurs. Study from Beirut Lebanon showed MGB is a safe and effective operation for revision of failed LAP-BAND®. Study from Taiwan showed Mini-Gastric Bypass resulted in significant and sustained weight loss with successful treatment of Diabetes in 87%.

Thanks Pammie. :-4 :-6

Ac, these weight loss bands are supposed to work well and rapidly but they don't CURE diabetes. As yet there is no cure. The main page of your link states that it helps with the treatment of diabetes, which it would because the larger you are, the greater amount of meds you need and also the longer you are on them the more you gradually need. So yes, a huge sudden weight loss would result in less meds being needed.

The problem with the gastric band is that it doesn't change your eating patterns. Once you have had that almost instantaneous weight loss and your body has adjusted to a smaller stomach, people will feel they can eat anything they want. So they'll binge and slowly put the weight on again. I had a friend who went to weightwatchers, dieted religiously, watched every mouthful she ate and lost 10 stones in about a year, which was exactly what she wanted to lose. Once she'd lost it she felt she could eat what she wanted and within 6 months had put it all back and more. Sadly the only way to really lose weight is to re-educate yourself on your eating plans and stick to a mainly healthy diet with some exercise.

Thanks for the article though, it's nice to know you're thinking of us and being supportive. :) :-6
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

I have seen my Mum trying to get her newly diagnosed diabetes under control.

I wish all of you the very best.

Keep moving & watch all cuts etc look after them straight away:-6:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

RedGlitter;1224574 wrote: Hi Rapunzel! Thank you very much. :o I'm doing real well, thank you, how about you?

I didn't know this about the diabetic foods! I really only buy the sugar free candy but even then I prefer real candy because I figure I'm safer to have some sugar on hand if needed. And yes it is expensive!

Hiya Red, I'm fine thanks. :-6 It's good to see you back at FG, you've been gone too long.

Funnily enough, when I'm at work and busy I eat really healthily. But now it's the summer holidays and although there's tons of things I should be doing I have frittered away the last week chatting on FG, playing games, catching up on some reading and not doing things I should be doing. I usually buy salad things every day on my way home from work, so there is always plenty to munch on, but this week I've sat in front of the 'puter munching on tea and biscuits and some crisps and some chocolate! :eek: I have had such a bad week! This thread is just what I needed to make me take stock. Tomorrow I need to go and buy lots of saladie things as I'm sitting here telling Flops all the things she should do and I'm doing none of them! :eek: Bad bad Rap! smack smack smack (ooh!) ;) :D :rolleyes:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi Flop, (gotta post this here because of your PM settings)

What's the latest on your diabetes? Any updates?

I was at my doctor appt today and got some scary news. First he said my blood pressure was sky high (runs in family) and if I didn't get it down, I would be looking at a stroke which also runs in my family.

Up until two months ago, for a good year, I had crazy swelling in my legs and feet. I could barely fit into flipflops and was very uncomfortable. I looked like I had fence posts for legs. Went to two doctors, neither seemed to know what it was and one old geezer said I was just fat. I am big, but I think I know when my legs are swollen and when they're just fat!

Well my swelling's gone since I got a leg pillow for sleeping with and got off the computer so much but for two weeks I have had these little broken spider veins in my calves. And bruising. My doctor said they weren't varicose but that they were weakened veins caused from the swelling and diabetes.

He said other than plastic surgery when they get really bad, I can do nothing. I am upset over this as I am too much of a hot tamale to have ugly legs! :guitarist

So I was looking up homeopathic treatments for it tonight and thought of you.

Diabetes affects everything. It can mess up your heart, kidneys, circulation, immune system, sight, teeth, etc, etc, if you don't control it.

You're lucky as yours doesn't seem too bad now at least compared to mine, but I want to urge you to always take it seriously and follow your doctors' orders to the letter. If you can, get a diabetes specialist on your team. Not trying to butt in, but this is something I know about and I don't want anyone to think they're bigger than this disease because that's what I did and now I'm getting into a big mess for it.

Dr. increased my insulin and my blood pressure pills and I am now taking myself in hand to get my act together.

If I don't I doubt I'll make it to fifty or fifty five.

Well....that's how my day went. I hope yours was much better. :-6

Red
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

RedGlitter;1226621 wrote: Hi Flop, (gotta post this here because of your PM settings)

What's the latest on your diabetes? Any updates?

I was at my doctor appt today and got some scary news. First he said my blood pressure was sky high (runs in family) and if I didn't get it down, I would be looking at a stroke which also runs in my family.

Up until two months ago, for a good year, I had crazy swelling in my legs and feet. I could barely fit into flipflops and was very uncomfortable. I looked like I had fence posts for legs. Went to two doctors, neither seemed to know what it was and one old geezer said I was just fat. I am big, but I think I know when my legs are swollen and when they're just fat!

Well my swelling's gone since I got a leg pillow for sleeping with and got off the computer so much but for two weeks I have had these little broken spider veins in my calves. And bruising. My doctor said they weren't varicose but that they were weakened veins caused from the swelling and diabetes.

He said other than plastic surgery when they get really bad, I can do nothing. I am upset over this as I am too much of a hot tamale to have ugly legs! :guitarist

So I was looking up homeopathic treatments for it tonight and thought of you.

Diabetes affects everything. It can mess up your heart, kidneys, circulation, immune system, sight, teeth, etc, etc, if you don't control it.

You're lucky as yours doesn't seem too bad now at least compared to mine, but I want to urge you to always take it seriously and follow your doctors' orders to the letter. If you can, get a diabetes specialist on your team. Not trying to butt in, but this is something I know about and I don't want anyone to think they're bigger than this disease because that's what I did and now I'm getting into a big mess for it.

Dr. increased my insulin and my blood pressure pills and I am now taking myself in hand to get my act together.

If I don't I doubt I'll make it to fifty or fifty five.

Well....that's how my day went. I hope yours was much better. :-6

Red

Here's what I've gone on....

metformin

metformin (Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Fortamet, Riomet) - drug class, medical uses, medication side effects, and drug interactions by MedicineNet.com

Pharmacy Author: Omudhome Ogbru, PharmD

Medical and Pharmacy Editor: Jay W. Marks, MD

GENERIC NAME: metformin

BRAND NAME: Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Fortamet, Riomet

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Metformin is an oral medication that lowers blood glucose (sugar) and is used for treating type 2 diabetes. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas that controls glucose levels in blood by reducing the amount of glucose made by the liver and by increasing the removal of glucose from the blood by muscle and fat tissues. As a result, blood glucose levels fall. Diabetes caused by a decrease in production of insulin that causes increased production of glucose by the liver, and reduced uptake (and effects) of insulin on fat and muscle tissues. Metformin acts by increasing the sensitivity of liver, muscle, fat, and other tissues to the uptake and effects of insulin. These actions lower the level of sugar in the blood.

Unlike glucose-lowering drugs of the sulfonylurea class, for example glyburide (Micronase; DiaBeta) or glipizide (Glucotrol), metformin does not increase the concentration of insulin in the blood and, therefore, does not cause excessively low blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia) when used alone. In scientific studies, metformin reduced the complications of diabetes such as heart disease, blindness and kidney disease. Metformin was approved by the FDA in December 1994.

Went down to the daughters Monday after work and she showed me how to use the tester correctly..:o:D duh!!

then she sat down and went through my daily eating habits and was counting carbs ... i left around midnight with new eating habits... 3 meals and two snacks a day now..

I'll be damned ... i lost 3 pounds last week:-2 only got to the y 3 times and ate more(although different) and i lost more weight in this one week then i have since January:yh_rotfl

of course, my levels are bouncing all over the place. 95 to 255 depending on when i take it... figure I'll give it a couple of weeks for my body to adjust to the med and change in diet before i get overly concerned.. although lady at work whose daughter has type1 freaked at the 255. I think I need to get the testing down good also.

don't worry about the veins girl... and screw plastic surgery... i had a treatment a few years ago after i had littleone... they rein-flat the veins with saline or something.. a few weeks later they are gone..the spiders i mean..lol:p

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Red Glitter - and Floppy - it's great that you both got this diagnosed and that you are taking action. I have to watch my blood pressure - and that too means keeping weight down, and stress levels and exercise etc up. Sometimes it all just seems too hard, but I'd like to stick around a bit yet, so it's worth it. I take meds for that too.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Peg

Post by Peg »

flopstock;1227657 wrote: Here's what I've gone on....

metformin

metformin (Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Fortamet, Riomet) - drug class, medical uses, medication side effects, and drug interactions by MedicineNet.com

Went down to the daughters Monday after work and she showed me how to use the tester correctly..:o:D duh!!

then she sat down and went through my daily eating habits and was counting carbs ... i left around midnight with new eating habits... 3 meals and two snacks a day now..

I'll be damned ... i lost 3 pounds last week:-2 only got to the y 3 times and ate more(although different) and i lost more weight in this one week then i have since January:yh_rotfl

of course, my levels are bouncing all over the place. 95 to 255 depending on when i take it... figure I'll give it a couple of weeks for my body to adjust to the med and change in diet before i get overly concerned.. although lady at work whose daughter has type1 freaked at the 255. I think I need to get the testing down good also.

don't worry about the veins girl... and screw plastic surgery... i had a treatment a few years ago after i had littleone... they rein-flat the veins with saline or something.. a few weeks later they are gone..the spiders i mean..lol:p

Sad as it is, we are thrilled when my husband's is "only" 255.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Flop, I take Metformin too. (1000 mg 2x day) I think it's wise to allow yourself time to adjust. Did the doctor give you a guideline as to what he wants your glucose level to be? They want mine 150 or under.

I'll keep that vein treatment in mind. I admit to being a little vain. I am having a tough time this year with being 43 and getting bifocals, more gray hair and now these veins. I was doing the cougar thing before they even made it a word. Now I wonder if I'm kidding myself.

I think we'll be fine if we stick to our plans and take our issues as importantly as we should. :-6
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

RED

I'm concerned with the swelling in your lower extremities.

sounds as if your retaining fluids.

Are you taking Vitamin E ? vitamin E is for circulation & Fish Oil

if not, start taking each daily & you'll see a difference with swelling.

elevating your legs will take the swelling down. The spider veins are exposed due to swelling & lack of circulation, it's actually corepusels breaking.

there's no fix for those - other than a lazer treatment....?

Fish Oil is the best for high blood pressure - Fish Oil cleans your arterys - take daily

also baby aspirin is taken for high blood pressure control .

Did any one watch the show The VIEW ? co-host Sherry has diabetes.

since May '09 she's been eating better & exercising.

Sherry is now off her Diabetes Meds - she also lost inches & weight. YEH..!!!

It was alot of fruit & Vegs of course - low/no Carbs

stay away from processed foods... you know the stuff we all like...

good luck to all affected by Diabetes.

Patsy
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

RedGlitter;1227862 wrote: Flop, I take Metformin too. (1000 mg 2x day) I think it's wise to allow yourself time to adjust. Did the doctor give you a guideline as to what he wants your glucose level to be? They want mine 150 or under.

I think we'll be fine if we stick to our plans and take our issues as importantly as we should. :-6

Yup, me too! ;)

flopstock;1227657 wrote: then she sat down and went through my daily eating habits and was counting carbs ... i left around midnight with new eating habits... 3 meals and two snacks a day now..

So share girlfriend! :wah: All info helps. :) What has she recommended that you eat? (small meals are much better for you too, well, for everyone really!)
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Rapunzel;1228105 wrote: Yup, me too! ;)

So share girlfriend! :wah: All info helps. :) What has she recommended that you eat? (small meals are much better for you too, well, for everyone really!)

breakfast

this morning I had southwest eggbeater pie - egg substitute, bacon, spinach, garlic, grated parmisan, tangy peppers.. I made it Sunday night, cut it into 12 pieces... tried one.. then ate another:lips::wah:.. then froze the others individually so I could take it to work to have instead of my regular oatmeal packet.

I had that about 40 minutes ago. Now, while it doesn't stick to my ribs like the oatmeal, I have a little glad container of muskmelon and bberries to eat in about an hour or so.

I'll post lunch later..:-6

I'm going to have to challenge you and Red to do the same here, til we are all amazed at how simple it is rather then what a pain in the ass it is..:D

Need incentive?

Prognosis of Diabetes - WrongDiagnosis.com

Life Expectancy and Survival Rates

Average life years lost from Diabetes: 13.8

Return to “Women's Health”