gmc

Post by gmc »

Anyone know anything about skpe? I've been experimenting and would like to use it full time for business purposes but I have a problem in that sometimes the quality is crap-it sounds like a bad mobile phone connection. To ordinary phones and mobiles it's OK but it's when I am calling a service centre and I assume the other person is using a headset.

I bought a cheap phone and before I send money on a good quality one is there anything else I can try just to make sure the problem is my phone rather than something else. Any help much appreciated
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1224352 wrote: Anyone know anything about skpe? I've been experimenting and would like to use it full time for business purposes but I have a problem in that sometimes the quality is crap-it sounds like a bad mobile phone connection. To ordinary phones and mobiles it's OK but it's when I am calling a service centre and I assume the other person is using a headset.

I bought a cheap phone and before I send money on a good quality one is there anything else I can try just to make sure the problem is my phone rather than something else. Any help much appreciated
Spot will be able to help you. We did have it but never used it so got rid of it. A lot of the members here use it so they should have all the details.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
abbey

Post by abbey »

gmc;1224352 wrote: Anyone know anything about skpe? I've been experimenting and would like to use it full time for business purposes but I have a problem in that sometimes the quality is crap-it sounds like a bad mobile phone connection. To ordinary phones and mobiles it's OK but it's when I am calling a service centre and I assume the other person is using a headset.

I use Skype quite a lot and bought my phone from PCWorld it's a handset and the quality is great.

I called Spain yesterday and you'd swear you was speaking to a local number.

The phone I use is a cyberspeaker W V655SK, You can see more about it on voipvoice.com.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Been there done that ...............don't bother anymore. I use voip.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

SKYPE is basically VOIP the quality of our phone will make the difference in the quality of your calls. Headsets on either end or using speakerphones will cause static just the nature of the beast.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lon

Post by Lon »

I use Skype daily and have since it first became available. I hear through the PC Harmon Kardon speakers and talk through a simple mike. I also use the Web Cam with the majority of people that I talk with. I talk regularly to friends and family in Spain, Portugal, New Zealand, Australia and all over the U.S. In the early days there was feed back and static with Skype, but with Broadband high speed internet and updated versions of Skype I have found the quality of contact to be excellent, in fact, better than any of the land lines or cells. I phone land lines, cells and compters through Skype and it's cheap, cheap cheap.
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1224498 wrote: I use Skype daily and have since it first became available. I hear through the PC Harmon Kardon speakers and talk through a simple mike. I also use the Web Cam with the majority of people that I talk with. I talk regularly to friends and family in Spain, Portugal, New Zealand, Australia and all over the U.S. In the early days there was feed back and static with Skype, but with Broadband high speed internet and updated versions of Skype I have found the quality of contact to be excellent, in fact, better than any of the land lines or cells. I phone land lines, cells and compters through Skype and it's cheap, cheap cheap. Is it any better Lon? We ditched our skype but I did love using it for friends in Turkey, Poland and Lithuania. The reception was rubbish though.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Lon

Post by Lon »

oscar;1224533 wrote: Is it any better Lon? We ditched our skype but I did love using it for friends in Turkey, Poland and Lithuania. The reception was rubbish though.

My reception is outstanding. I suspect that the key to quality is a high speed connection for both sender and receiver. If one has dial up and the other high speed, quality suffers I suspect. It will not be long before we are all on High speed via fibre optic.
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1224550 wrote: My reception is outstanding. I suspect that the key to quality is a high speed connection for both sender and receiver. If one has dial up and the other high speed, quality suffers I suspect. It will not be long before we are all on High speed via fibre optic.
I may get it again in that case. Just think Lon..... You could give me your recipee's face to face.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I find phoning a normal land line or mobile reception is OK but i have been considering Skype because a lot of my business calls are to 0845 numbers and its costing me a fortune. unfortunately it's those ones I have a problem with. I suspect it's because they are using headphone and mike or speakers bit I need a solution that will work from my end. I would spend on a better phone but I need to be sure that will work. It's made worse if it's someone that doesn't understand a scots accent-it's not as though I have a broad accent but I'm fed up phoning a UK company ans getting someone to whom english is clearly a second language.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Lon;1224498 wrote: I use Skype daily and have since it first became available. I hear through the PC Harmon Kardon speakers and talk through a simple mike. I also use the Web Cam with the majority of people that I talk with. I talk regularly to friends and family in Spain, Portugal, New Zealand, Australia and all over the U.S. In the early days there was feed back and static with Skype, but with Broadband high speed internet and updated versions of Skype I have found the quality of contact to be excellent, in fact, better than any of the land lines or cells. I phone land lines, cells and compters through Skype and it's cheap, cheap cheap.

Exactly!! I don't even use different speakers or mike. Just a web cam and my computers existing system. It's great to actually see your son or daughter or friend. And free.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Skype is great if your connection is good and your Webcam or Mic works your good to go. VOIP (voice over the internet) is cheaper period.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Oscar Namechange

gmc;1224666 wrote: I find phoning a normal land line or mobile reception is OK but i have been considering Skype because a lot of my business calls are to 0845 numbers and its costing me a fortune. unfortunately it's those ones I have a problem with. I suspect it's because they are using headphone and mike or speakers bit I need a solution that will work from my end. I would spend on a better phone but I need to be sure that will work. It's made worse if it's someone that doesn't understand a scots accent-it's not as though I have a broad accent but I'm fed up phoning a UK company ans getting someone to whom english is clearly a second language.

1) Does Mike mind being used?

2) I'd like a pic of it working from your end.

3) English is a second Language..... Bollocks being the first.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

CARLA;1224471 wrote: SKYPE is basically VOIP the quality of our phone will make the difference in the quality of your calls. Headsets on either end or using speakerphones will cause static just the nature of the beast.

Umm it comes through the home phone. You just use your home phone connected to the PC. Voip overrides all the telecomunications carriers so you don't have a phone bill.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

CARLA;1224688 wrote: Skype is great if your connection is good and your Webcam or Mic works your good to go. VOIP (voice over the internet) is cheaper period.

carla if I was to ring you in Sna Diego It would cost me nothing for 1 hour and 59mins 59 secs. After that it would cost me 2 cents for the entire call. 2 hours it cuts off . but I suppose if you're talking for that long you need to be cut off ....at least for just breathing time.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Yes it is cheap for sure and free if you use your webcam or Mic and SKYPE and talk that way I use it all the time to talk to my Niece when she is traveling for Soccer all that is required is a laptop or a PC and a internet connection. ;)

[QUOTE]carla if I was to ring you in Sna Diego It would cost me nothing for 1 hour and 59mins 59 secs. After that it would cost me 2 cents for the entire call. 2 hours it cuts off . but I suppose if you're talking for that long you need to be cut off ....at least for just breathing time.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Return to “Computers Internet”