Family

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Nomad

Family

Post by Nomad »

Are you close to mom and dad ?

Brothers and sisters, do they play an important role in your life ?

Are they an obligation ?

Do you feel like your supposed to have a bond so you go through the motions ?

Do you wish you were close but have tried and it just doesnt work ?

Do some of you have little or no contact with family members ?

Is your family crazy, loving, both ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Barman

Family

Post by Barman »

Nomad;1221458 wrote: Are you close to mom and dad ?

I am about 6 feet further above ground then them.:)

A role but not that important.

Are they an obligation ?

No

No

No

Some zero some a little some a little more some a lot.

Loving they are not, crazy, or maybe just outright bloody mad.
buttercup

Family

Post by buttercup »

I suppose it depends who you class as family. If you mean mum, dad, brothers and sisters then.......

No

No

Are they an obligation ?

No

No

I don't wish i was close now but i have tried to be in the past when i felt i should.

No contact

I don't feel i know them well enough to comment.

If you mean family as in your wife / husband and your children together......

Are you close to your spouse and children ?

Yes

Wider family, cousins ect, do they play an important role in your life ?

No

Are they an obligation ?

No, a preferance.

No

I am close to my family. (who i view as family)

I see my family a lot.

A mixture of both.
pinkchick

Family

Post by pinkchick »

Mum ... yes, epecially since I moved away from home

I have one sister. She is a very important part of my life. We are very close

Are they an obligation ?

Absolutely not

Not at all

With one particular member of my family ... yes. I can't say it's not working. It's a rocky road but we are trying :)

I have little contact with a few cousins, aunts and uncles but that's ok. Life just gets in the way sometimes!

My immediate family are as crazy as a box of frogs but very loving with it. I'm lucky to have the parents that I have, even though we drive one and other mad from time to time.

As for my sister ... she is amazing. She's funny, she's smart, she loves life, she gives me the kick in the a$$ that I need from time to time.

Jennie is the best sister I could ask for and she always tells me that she loves me too. What more could I ask for? :D:-6
Very nearly perfect ... :D
kazalala

Family

Post by kazalala »

i am close to my mam and dad,, i have a brother and two sisters ,, my brother and i are close and have always been so even if we dont see each other for ages, one of my sisters i was really cose to ,,, then not ,,, now we are geting a relationship back i think:thinking:my other sister ,,, we are civil to each other at family occasions or whenever we happen to meet but neither of us go out of our way to meet. that suits me as far as she goes. My family is crazy ,,, and loving,, some are just plain crazy. My relationship with my husband and own children are very close,,, things were strained for a period with my son ,, but things are deffo back on track now:D:D they are the most important thing to me:-4

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
flopstock

Family

Post by flopstock »

Nomad;1221458 wrote: Are you close to mom and dad ?Hope not, as they are dead.

Brothers and sisters, do they play an important role in your life ?Some

Are they an obligation ?Some

Do you feel like your supposed to have a bond so you go through the motions ?Nope

Do you wish you were close but have tried and it just doesnt work ?Some

Do some of you have little or no contact with family members ?Some

Is your family crazy, loving, both ?Different
I'm one of seven kids...my sister keeps giving me everyones phone numbers and I keep losing them.. that tells me something if I stop to think about it, so I usually don't.:D

I love my kids and my grandkids.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Family

Post by CARLA »

Dad died in 1984 at the age of 57 we were very close. Mom is still alive and our relationships have improved over the years she live less than a mile from me.

I have 2 sisters we are all very, very close as we all live in San Diego.

Are they an obligation ?

Not at all we love being together my sisters are my best friends.

No never felt that way my family is my life.

I have never had to work at a relationships with my family it is the easy we all get along.

I'm in contact with them every day.

Yes to all three we love to be together, we love to have fun.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

shelbell

Family

Post by shelbell »

]Are you close to mom and dad ?

Was very close to dad, he died 13yrs ago. Relationship with mom is getting better.

I have 3 brothers, but we don't see each other or talk much at all...but I know if I need them, they will be there.

Are they an obligation ? nope

Do you feel like your supposed to have a bond so you go through the motions ? nope

Do you wish you were close but have tried and it just doesnt work ? not really

Do some of you have little or no contact with family members ? little

How about weird! But they are loving.
qsducks

Family

Post by qsducks »

Are you close to mom and dad ? Dad more...mum is a bit of a tyrant

2 brothers & 1 sister and yes they do...I love them all but talk to my sister every day

Are they an obligation ? Yes & no...I adopted my sisters cat...Phoenix is working out great

Do you feel like your supposed to have a bond so you go through the motions ? Yes, I'm tight with my sibs...we are very close

Do you wish you were close but have tried and it just doesnt work ? don't have that probs with sibs

Do some of you have little or no contact with family members ? talk to fam every day and all the nutty relatives

Define crazy? Isn't everybody's fam crazy in some sort of way? As for loving, yes they are very loving.
chonsigirl

Family

Post by chonsigirl »

Are you close to mom and dad ? Yes, my mother and step-father. My father died in 1971.

Brothers and sisters, do they play an important role in your life ?Oh yes, we talk at least once a week to each other and write all the time.

Are they an obligation ?No, only the in-laws that come with them......:wah:

Do you feel like your supposed to have a bond so you go through the motions ?The bond is always there, we are siblings.

Is your family crazy, loving, both ?Loving and fun.
Victoria

Family

Post by Victoria »

Close to mum and I thought I was to dad

I only have brothers and no

Are they an obligation ?

No

No

No

I have lost contact with a lot of aunts uncle nieces nephews cousins ect.

Loving yes, crazy ? I suppose they are, mum in a nice way other members in a scary sort of serious way
OpenMind

Family

Post by OpenMind »

While Mum and Dad were alive, they were always the focus of the family. Individually, we would visit them as aften as possible. Every Christmas, except for those living abroad, the whole family would gather at our parents for the occasion, children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. The same for weddings, christenings, and so on.

We lived our own separate lives independent of each other in different parts of the country.

Are they an obligation ?

None whatsoever. We even agreed not to buy birthday and Christmas presents for each other - only for the children.

In spite of our separate lives, we were always genuinely pleased to see each other and catch up on events.

This is not relevant really.

After our parents died, we still came together for special occasions - weddings, etc. as the next generation grew up. the same as before except that we don't come together for Christmas. Unfortunately, all but one of my siblings have died now.

They're mad, the lot of them. But you can't help but love them.:D

:-6
hoppy

Family

Post by hoppy »

I went to my family re-union this weekend. They let me stay after I showed up. I guess that's a good sign.
mrsK

Family

Post by mrsK »

Yes

Some do

Are they an obligation ?

No

For my parents sake yes

Tried Hard

None,Little & lots

Bit of both

I think our family is one crazy one.

But that is fine as I have seen crazier & I am related to them as well:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Bill Sikes

Family

Post by Bill Sikes »

Yup.
sharedfastlane

Family

Post by sharedfastlane »

Are they an obligation ?

What are your own answers?

I think I was heavily influenced by T.V. shows and films as to what a family should be like. I found mine confusing really. When people have a " history" and there is bad feeling there just isn't time or emotional energy to explain it to a child it seems. Besides a child would't probably like the explanation - they would just want it fixed and everyone to get along. Actually that's how I live my adult life - hate people moaning about people behind their backs or being spiteful and wish people could resolve differences and try and get along. WISH my family could have taught me more - I feel they were distracted by their problems.
Nomad

Family

Post by Nomad »

sharedfastlane;1221799 wrote: What are your own answers?

I think I was heavily influenced by T.V. shows and films as to what a family should be like. I found mine confusing really. When people have a " history" and there is bad feeling there just isn't time or emotional energy to explain it to a child it seems. Besides a child would't probably like the explanation - they would just want it fixed and everyone to get along. Actually that's how I live my adult life - hate people moaning about people behind their backs or being spiteful and wish people could resolve differences and try and get along. WISH my family could have taught me more - I feel they were distracted by their problems.

Relationship with mom was based on alcoholism, her while I was growing up then later the both of us. It was ugly and I dont have very many good memories. In the end after she died I felt empathy for her. She was filled with pain, torment and she shed tears her entire life. Beginning to end. She hurt everyone but I forgive her and were she here Id ask for forgiveness.

Dad, he loves his own kids but he raised another family and I dont feel like his son. Its complicated.

Brother, extremely complicated. He lives in the past and I cant. Big conflict so after a 20 year dry spell we tried a few times but we dont communicate well.

Sis, I love her. We'll always be connected.
I AM AWESOME MAN
sharedfastlane

Family

Post by sharedfastlane »

Nomad;1221802 wrote: Relationship with mom was based on alcoholism, her while I was growing up then later the both of us. It was ugly and I dont have very many good memories. In the end after she died I felt empathy for her. She was filled with pain, torment and she shed tears her entire life. Beginning to end. She hurt everyone but I forgive her and were she here Id ask for forgiveness.

Dad, he loves his own kids but he raised another family and I dont feel like his son. Its complicated.

Brother, extremely complicated. He lives in the past and I cant. Big conflict so after a 20 year dry spell we tried a few times but we dont communicate well.

Sis, I love her. We'll always be connected.

I'm sorry about your Mum - that's awful. Really impacts your life. Great that you can forgive. Damn hard to stop it affecting you .It's a good thing that you don't want to live in the past. Sorry doesn't help, but you deserve a break - your Dad was/is also unavailable to you. That sucks. We/kids need so much to help them be successful and confident and " get " the world. Parents are affected by their own upbringing too. You know, if we could all lay things bare I wonder how many people have shocking families and how many the great kind? Did you have any influence in your life that helped you through, or read anything encouraging?
Nomad

Family

Post by Nomad »

sharedfastlane;1221840 wrote: I'm sorry about your Mum - that's awful. Really impacts your life. Great that you can forgive. Damn hard to stop it affecting you .It's a good thing that you don't want to live in the past. Sorry doesn't help, but you deserve a break - your Dad was/is also unavailable to you. That sucks. We/kids need so much to help them be successful and confident and " get " the world. Parents are affected by their own upbringing too. You know, if we could all lay things bare I wonder how many people have shocking families and how many the great kind? Did you have any influence in your life that helped you through, or read anything encouraging?

Parents are affected by their upbringing but theres a big but...the cycle has to stop somewhere. Love your children.
I AM AWESOME MAN
minks

Family

Post by minks »

Nomad;1221458 wrote: Are you close to mom and dad ? Very close to them, we live 3 k apart. I camp with them as often as I can, I am their only child living in Canada so them and I are close

Brothers and sisters, do they play an important role in your life ? I used to be very close to my brother, til he married and moved away :(

Are they an obligation ? no I don't feel obligated at all they are an extension of me

Do you feel like your supposed to have a bond so you go through the motions ?I do at times because I do miss what my brother was to the family

Do you wish you were close but have tried and it just doesnt work ?yes and stuff happens so I let it go

Do some of you have little or no contact with family members ?yes my brother, because of his wife we just don't talk anymore sadly

Is your family crazy, loving, both ?they have known to let their hair down a time or two. My folks are very very loving.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West

Return to “General Chit Chat”