RSPCA charge police officer who left two dogs to die in boiling car

Discuss the latest political news.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Police dog handler to be prosecuted for deaths of two German shepherds left in 116f car on hottest day of the year | Mail Online

Hats off to the RSPCA
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

I hope this high profile case will be a lesson to other people who leave pets in cars.

Your pet can die and you will be prosecuted.
Oscar Namechange

Victoria;1219223 wrote: I hope this high profile case will be a lesson to other people who leave pets in cars.

It will be interesting to see what the judge hands down with him being in the police.

My advice to anyone taking their dog out in the car on hot days, is .... LEAVE THEM AT HOME
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
abbey

Post by abbey »

I should damn well think so!
Odie

Post by Odie »

Victoria;1219223 wrote: I hope this high profile case will be a lesson to other people who leave pets in cars.

no matter what case it is, people will always leave dogs in their cars, they just don't think....:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1219302 wrote: no matter what case it is, people will always leave dogs in their cars, they just don't think....:-5:-5 True but you'd think the police would have more sense? No hang on...... this is the British police were talking about.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Good what an idiot. We have been prosecuting people for this over here for a very long time.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Oscar Namechange

CARLA;1219436 wrote: Good what an idiot. We have been prosecuting people for this over here for a very long time. I'd like to see the maximum penalty imposed here. If the country see's a police officer imprisoned, it might deter the other idiots.
lou lou belle

Post by lou lou belle »

oooooh , i have only just joined this forum, i think that was a bit harsh!, i am sure that this police officer did not mean to let those poor dogs die under thoses conditions. I expect that officer is really distraught by the death of the animals.

I read that a fine would be imposed, i am sure that would suffice. And no doubt he will lose his job.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Although it was a very stupid thing to do, I am sure that any sentence handed to him will not be as hard as the regret he must feel.

Clearly reading the article this is not a man who abuses animals, and made a serious error in judgment. Police officers see their dogs not as pets but more as partners, it is a tragic situation. I feel sorry for him as well as the poor animals.

Sometimes tragic things happen to good people as well you know.
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

This afternoon I saw a french bulldog collapse after its owners played ball with it on the grass luckily it recovered.

The warning below comes from the RSPCA it outlines how quickly a car becomes and oven and describes the frightening symptoms of heat stroke.

Dogs Die As RSPCA Urges Owners Not To Leave Dogs In Hot Cars

The RSPCA is renewing its plea to owners to not leave their pets in hot cars as dogs are losing their lives in the crippling heat.

A tragic incident happened yesterday after two dogs were in a car in Nottingham on one of the hottest days of the year.

It has also been reported that a dog died after being left in a car in Chichester during the hot weather at the end of last week.

The RSPCA has been inundated with calls from members of the public who are worried about animals which have been trapped in hot environments such as cars or gardens without shade.

The Society received a whopping total of 1,058 calls with concerns for the welfare of dogs in the hot weather throughout June. 109 of those calls were taken on Monday (June 29) when temperatures topped 30 degrees. More than 250 calls were also received regarding other animals suffering in the heat.

Pet owners are being reminded to never leave an animal in a car at any time during hot weather. Temperatures can dramatically increase and rise to as much as 47 degrees in less than an hour. Air-conditioned cars can reach the same temperature as outside within just five minutes of the system being turned off.

Many owners believe that leaving a car window open or a bowl of water nearby is enough but in reality this will make virtually no difference and the dog is still in serious danger of literally being cooked alive.

RSPCA chief veterinary adviser Mark Evans said: “A hot car can be a death trap for dogs, it is as simple as that. Leaving your dog in a car, even on an average warm, even cloudy summer day, can put your pet at huge risk of suffering and even death.

“This is not a new warning, but sadly too many people still don’t appreciate how dangerous it can be to leave a dog in a hot car, conservatory or caravan. Don’t let your dog be the one to find out the hard way.”

Animals & hot weather – RSPCA tips & information:

- All dogs will suffer in extreme heat, but some are more prone to heatstroke than others. Dogs that are old, young, short nosed, long-haired, overweight or heavily muscled are more at risk, as well as dogs with certain diseases.

- Particular breeds of dog, such as flat-faced pug dogs and bulldogs are also particularly susceptible to heat stoke.

- Owners should also bear in mind that dogs can suffer from heat stroke at any time, such as when they are out for a walk. It is therefore advised that they are kept out of the midday sun and taken out for a walk in the early morning or evening to avoid the temperature extremes.

- Pets should also not be left in conservatories, outbuildings or caravans during the hot weather as it poses the same risk.

- Owners who fear their dog may be suffering from heat stroke should act with great urgency. Warning signs include overly red or purple gums, a rapid pulse, vomiting and diarrhoea, lack of co-ordination and a reluctance or inability to rise after collapsing or suffering seizures.

- Pets should be moved to a cooler spot straight away before ringing your vet for advice immediately.

- Under the Animal Welfare Act, those found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal face a fine of up to £20,000 and/or a six-month custodial sentence.
Odie

Post by Odie »

most owners have no idea just how fast a dog gets hot, even playing.....:-5:-5
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1219693 wrote: most owners have no idea just how fast a dog gets hot, even playing.....:-5:-5
I was out in the field with Mulder one night around 7 in the evening. It had been a hot day but i had purposly waited for it to cool down before taking him out. I even decided that i would only throw the ball short distances for him just a few times because it was still warm. After about 4 throws he circled round me, swaying and suddenly, he just collapsed on the ground. I was absolutely distraught. He recovered quickly and i make sure it never happens again. If it's that hot, i would rather just not take them out.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1219701 wrote: I was out in the field with Mulder one night around 7 in the evening. It had been a hot day but i had purposly waited for it to cool down before taking him out. I even decided that i would only throw the ball short distances for him just a few times because it was still warm. After about 4 throws he circled round me, swaying and suddenly, he just collapsed on the ground. I was absolutely distraught. He recovered quickly and i make sure it never happens again. If it's that hot, i would rather just not take them out.

At least he's allright. Yes, peeps are dumb & even do it to kids...leave them in hot cars.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1219701 wrote: I was out in the field with Mulder one night around 7 in the evening. It had been a hot day but i had purposly waited for it to cool down before taking him out. I even decided that i would only throw the ball short distances for him just a few times because it was still warm. After about 4 throws he circled round me, swaying and suddenly, he just collapsed on the ground. I was absolutely distraught. He recovered quickly and i make sure it never happens again. If it's that hot, i would rather just not take them out.

omg.......never thought just after a few tosses....

lucky you were with him.......alot of people just throw their dogs out in the backyard.

I have seen many a cat here kicked out for the day while owners are working and they have heat stroke!

owners always assume that shade will cool them down, yeah, right 30C in the shade......that don't cool nothing down.:-5:-5
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1219825 wrote: omg.......never thought just after a few tosses....

lucky you were with him.......alot of people just throw their dogs out in the backyard.

I have seen many a cat here kicked out for the day while owners are working and they have heat stroke!

owners always assume that shade will cool them down, yeah, right 30C in the shade......that don't cool nothing down.:-5:-5
Well, i can tell you that i never forgave myself and i guess he was over-heated before we went into the field. It just goes to show that even at 7 in the evening, they can over-heat. Yes, i have seen a cat treated for sun-stroke. Folk don't think about them enough.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1219842 wrote: Well, i can tell you that i never forgave myself and i guess he was over-heated before we went into the field. It just goes to show that even at 7 in the evening, they can over-heat. Yes, i have seen a cat treated for sun-stroke. Folk don't think about them enough.

Julie, this was not your fault.......

You saw the signs........and brought him home.:-4

they say if your hot....then your dog is a thousand times hotter.

I see some carrying water bottles on their walks.......for their dogs.
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1219850 wrote: Julie, this was not your fault.......

You saw the signs........and brought him home.:-4

they say if your hot....then your dog is a thousand times hotter.

I see some carrying water bottles on their walks.......for their dogs. Thankyou.

We have doggie water bottles on long treks for them but i never thought a very brief run in the field outside my house would do that. Still, i learnt from it. I even had him thoroughly checked by the vet for heart murmers etc but no, he just got too hot.
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

I always carry water bottles when walking the dogs in warm weather.

In a different but related subject yesterday I found what appears to be a melanoma on Benny's stomach. about the size of my little finger nail its dark black/brown raised and uneven in texture and along the edges.:-3

I have a vets appointment next week for the yearly jabs and I will have it looked at then.

Return to “Current Political Events”