Music for Jessie and Jimbo....

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Jessie and Jimbo....

I thought this might be a nice thread for you to post some interesting facts, music and folklore from your Romani heritage...

I'd like to open your thread with some music from two groups called "The Fureys" and the "Travelling People" called the Johnstons....These are wonderful travelling people....:-6

I met each and every member of the Fureys Band in Killarney and Bayonne, NY. My cousin, Finian, who lives in Killarney, Ireland spent weeks making sure that I would met each member....bless him..he's a special buddy of mine...And I did indeed meet each one and love them all...We had long, long conversations about your heritage into the wee hours...:p:D

I'd like to start your thread off with the Fureys singing "Sweet 16" which was a song that my Dad always sang to my Mom....and the Johnstons singing the "Travelling People"......and then add a few...

My brother and I always harmonize to the "Travelling People" at our Irish parties.

StumbleUpon WebToolbar

YouTube - The travelling people sung by The Johnstons

Freeborn Man of the Travelling People

Words & Music : Ewan MacColl

©Stormking Music

Lyric as sung by Dick Gaughan

I'm a freeborn man of the travelling people

Got no fixed abode, with nomads I am numbered

Country lanes and byways were always my ways

I never fancied being lumbered

O we knew the woods and the resting places

And the small birds sang when winter days were over

Then we'd pack our load and be on the road

They were good old times for the rover

There was open ground where a man could linger

Stay a week or two for time was not your master

Then away you'd jog with your horse and dog

Nice and easy, no need to go faster

Now and then we'd meet up with other travellers

Hear the news or else swap family information

At the country fairs, we'd be meeting there

All the people of the travelling nation

I've known life hard and I've known it easy

And I've cursed the times when winter days were dawning

But I've danced and sang through the whole night long

Seen the summer sun rise in the morning

All you freeborn men of the travelling people

Every tinker, rolling stone and Gypsy rover

Winds of change are blowing, old ways are going

Your travelling days will soon be over
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

thank you very much kathy this is very nice of you it means a lot to me :-6:-6

most people have no idea of even the existance of the romany gypsy ,without getting all racist and pot calling the kettle black :thinking:

the travellers throwing rubbish around their caravans are not romany english gypsies :thinking:

i will post more on this thread later :)

maybe we could nicely talk about what romany gypsies are :-6

as i have said before my father was a gypsy my mother is not so i'm sort of in between both worlds :thinking:
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

just in case any one wants to find out more about us :)

The Patrin Web Journal - Introduction
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

some old photo's of gypsy caravans (travellers trailers)

YouTube - Gypsy trailer caravans
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

:thinking::thinking: listen to the school boy ,when i was at school i used to be spat at ,beaten up every day ,chased by mobs with knives and sticks with nails through them ..just coz i lived in a caravan :thinking::thinking:

YouTube - Romanies (Gypsies) Documentry
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

my brother jake :-4:-4

yes i know he got the looks and the hair :p:p

farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

the other side of the coin :thinking:

el guapo

Post by el guapo »

YouTube - The Gordon Boswell Romany Museum - preview
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I'll have to log onto my desktop to view your youtubes. Thanks for posting them. I'd like to learn more about the Romani culture.
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

kushti atchin tan = a good stopping place ..well pretty much

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I did not know that true Romani people still existed.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Touched by a Roma gypsy....

YouTube - Touched by a Gypsy - Rom
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Jim, You brother Jake is a lovely speaker:-6
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

Kathy Ellen;1217327 wrote: Jim, You brother Jake is a lovely speaker:-6

thanks kathy ,he is isn't he and a really lovelly guy,he once chained himself to a tree in malaysia to stop a dam being built that would of flooded a valley killing millions of animals,he spent 3 months in a squalid cell for his troubles and lost half his body weight

jake has a different mother than i had but is very much a bowers

he does so much to help the travellers of this alnd who are abused and pursicuted without mercy

imagine going to work and not being able to say you are american or people will beat you up or hate you ,i was in a pub one time and these guys kept saying racist stuff about travellers and after a while it got on my nerves ,and the next time they said it i said i'm not being funny i'm half gypsy so dont keep saying stuff as its getting on my nerves ,the said you cant be a gypsy you are too nice ,i said oh really and how many do you know then and all of them admitted they knew none ... typical

i will try and get jake to join fg but he is really busy
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Jim,

I emailed your brother at his addy at BBC just to say hello.

Well Jim, I just got a notice from hotmail that my mail to Jake was undeliverable....too bad...

He would be a nice asset to FG...He's very intelligent and interesting.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

farmer giles;1217338 wrote: thanks kathy ,he is isn't he and a really lovelly guy,he once chained himself to a tree in malaysia to stop a dam being built that would of flooded a valley killing millions of animals,he spent 3 months in a squalid cell for his troubles and lost half his body weight

jake has a different mother than i had but is very much a bowers

he does so much to help the travellers of this alnd who are abused and pursicuted without mercy

imagine going to work and not being able to say you are american or people will beat you up or hate you ,i was in a pub one time and these guys kept saying racist stuff about travellers and after a while it got on my nerves ,and the next time they said it i said i'm not being funny i'm half gypsy so dont keep saying stuff as its getting on my nerves ,the said you cant be a gypsy you are too nice ,i said oh really and how many do you know then and all of them admitted they knew none ... typical

i will try and get jake to join fg but he is really busyStart simply for the clueless amongst us dear.. travellers/gypsy/gipsy ...do these all mean the same thing or is one the PC term? I ask because what people hear all the time is not always what is acceptable to the folks the term is applied to..

If your father is and your mother isn't, do you consider yourself one or the other? Or just a mutt like me? My fathers parents were from germany, my mothers family have a mix of about 8 or so countries(we believe great gramma was perhaps a tad loose:wah:) . But I don't consider myself german american or anything else other then american. Asked the question, my reply is simply American. How do you reply? Is it a blood issue or a way of life/religeon issue?

And here's my contribution to the thread topic even though I don't understand it at all. :D Hope it's not nasty..

Kucu banda

http://www.international-records.com/e_ ... _trk01.mp3
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

When I first got married I lived in a trailer with wheels on it, I say when in Romany don't toss the first rock.:D

Return to “Music”