using dripping in cooking

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
sharedfastlane

Post by sharedfastlane »

If I wanted to make up " dripping" i.e.; saved meat juices to use for cooking, can I mix the meats I use? Googling led me to beef dripping, duck dripping etc but no mention of just combining it all into one dish to save. I know I used to have dripping sandwhiches as a child which were delish. But never questioned how to do this myself.

I'm interested because I've been reading that cutting out too much fat in the diet is not the best thing for mental health and conentration and that there ARE benefits in some of the old fashioned fats used. Mind you, it's contentious; one person will shun coconut oil and site heart problems - another will swear by its fatty fullness. Then there's the Innuit people who eat Seal and blubber and I think are quite healthy.
Odie

Post by Odie »

sharedfastlane;1210607 wrote: If I wanted to make up " dripping" i.e.; saved meat juices to use for cooking, can I mix the meats I use? Googling led me to beef dripping, duck dripping etc but no mention of just combining it all into one dish to save. I know I used to have dripping sandwhiches as a child which were delish. But never questioned how to do this myself.

I'm interested because I've been reading that cutting out too much fat in the diet is not the best thing for mental health and conentration and that there ARE benefits in some of the old fashioned fats used. Mind you, it's contentious; one person will shun coconut oil and site heart problems - another will swear by its fatty fullness. Then there's the Innuit people who eat Seal and blubber and I think are quite healthy.

I don't see why not, it will just add more wonderful flavors.
Life is just to short for drama.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

sharedfastlane;1210607 wrote: If I wanted to make up " dripping" i.e.; saved meat juices to use for cooking, can I mix the meats I use? Googling led me to beef dripping, duck dripping etc but no mention of just combining it all into one dish to save. I know I used to have dripping sandwhiches as a child which were delish. But never questioned how to do this myself.

I dont know much about it but what one people eat may make another people very sick because its foreign to the bodies.
I AM AWESOME MAN
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

My mom used meat drippings to make gravy. Homemade gravy beats the canned stuff by miles. Too bad you carrot munching vegans. You don't know what your missing. And you are gonna die anyway.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

You don't 'make up ' dripping, it just happens.... it is what is left in the bottom of the roasting tray when the meat is cooked.

The idea is to pour off and save the fat, in an old chipped cup, normally without a handle , then use the meaty residue left behind to make your gravy with the water you cooked your fresh veg in.

A lot of meat has been bred or trimmed to be low in fat these days, to be healthy.

There are only two drippings for me, Beef and Pork,

Pork dripping is unrefined Lard, you spread it thinly on white bread with a bit of jelly scooped from the bottom of the chipped cup and then lightly salted....my mouth is watering already.

Beef Dripping is coarser, more rugged, than its pork equivalent, applied to white bread the same as pork, most unhealthy but delicious.

They used to cook chips in beef dripping in the old days, until the health police came along and spoiled it for everyone.....now it is bland Vegetable oil everywhere....and fat kids.....everywhere.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
sharedfastlane

Post by sharedfastlane »

Nomad;1210643 wrote: I dont know much about it but what one people eat may make another people very sick because its foreign to the bodies.

Yes, my ancestors didn't eat seal!

Um. I meant "fix", prepare, for made uo.

Thanx all. I'm gonna do it. Mixey mixey.
Barman

Post by Barman »

My dad used to make us eat dripping sandwiches in the 60s, i hated em. Chucked out of the school bus window, hid em under the mattress, shoved em down the loo, he was a twat he was. Even made me drink castor oil every night.:mad:
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

Barman;1210859 wrote: My dad used to make us eat dripping sandwiches in the 60s, i hated em. Chucked out of the school bus window, hid em under the mattress, shoved em down the loo, he was a twat he was. Even made me drink castor oil every night.:mad:

yuuuuuuuk i bet your were a regular guy though :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Barman

Post by Barman »

farmer giles;1210861 wrote: yuuuuuuuk i bet your were a regular guy though :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Yep, i regularly through them out of the bus window.:D
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

sharedfastlane;1210607 wrote: If I wanted to make up " dripping" i.e.; saved meat juices to use for cooking, can I mix the meats I use?

All you've gor to worry about are the relative strengths of the flavours, and (possibly) who's eatin'.
sharedfastlane

Post by sharedfastlane »

Bill Sikes;1210884 wrote: All you've gor to worry about are the relative strengths of the flavours, and (possibly) who's eatin'.

Yes, thanks.
sharedfastlane

Post by sharedfastlane »

Barman;1210859 wrote: My dad used to make us eat dripping sandwiches in the 60s, i hated em. Chucked out of the school bus window, hid em under the mattress, shoved em down the loo, he was a twat he was. Even made me drink castor oil every night.:mad:

Yeah , yoiu've reminded me, I used to stand up like a soldier for my daily dose of ...something malt, extract of malt...blast, can't remember. It came in a dark brown bottle, Dad worked at a brewery, maybe he got it there. Not pleasant but I think I thought it had magical properties. :yh_wink
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

sharedfastlane;1210998 wrote: Yeah , yoiu've reminded me, I used to stand up like a soldier for my daily dose of ...something malt, extract of malt...blast, can't remember. It came in a dark brown bottle, Dad worked at a brewery, maybe he got it there. Not pleasant but I think I thought it had magical properties. :yh_wink
Could be Malt extract. I was given that as a child. It had a very yeasty taste and was like a brown treacle. God, it was revolting.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I did the same with liverwurst sandwiches. I threw them under my neighbors tree and covered them up with snow. I didnt think it through all the way because surprisingly the snow eventually melted revealing a pile of sandwiches.

:wah: I remember my neighbor staring at it one day. :wah:
I AM AWESOME MAN
Aussie Harmony

Post by Aussie Harmony »

We used to put the dripping from lamb and beef into the same storage pot. I can't remember if we also put bacon fat into it as well but I do remember that we only ever had a single dripping pot and we rarely ran out of it. We didn't keep chicken fat though, maybe it didn't keep as well as the other two.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Aussie Harmony;1415162 wrote: We used to put the dripping from lamb and beef into the same storage pot. I can't remember if we also put bacon fat into it as well but I do remember that we only ever had a single dripping pot and we rarely ran out of it. We didn't keep chicken fat though, maybe it didn't keep as well as the other two.

Right. Chicken fat is far less stable and would ruin the whole batch
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I used to mop the bacon fat up with bread straight from the pan.

Bread and beef dripping used to be a regular treat as a kid
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Snowfire;1415166 wrote: I used to mop the bacon fat up with bread straight from the pan.

Bread and beef dripping used to be a regular treat as a kid

Oh Yes....

I always fry the fried bread In bacon fat.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Home Management”