FG Film Reviews

Chezzie

FG Film Reviews

Post by Chezzie »

As requested by Kathy Ellen

Post a short review in this thread and give it some of Nomies kernels This way we have a quick list of movies and short reviews.
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

Popcorn kernel film review rating guidelines:

1 kernel = not worth watching

5 kernels = a top rated film, exceptional value in aspects of acting, storyline, soundtrack, cinematography etc.

A 5 kernel rating has classic film potential.

Here are the kernels. Lets use them with discretion please.

Nomad

FG Film Critic

Copy Rights held by Nomad 2009
I AM AWESOME MAN
Kathy Ellen

FG Film Reviews

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thank you again Chezzie...You're a doll:-4

"Harry Potter Movies"

I won't give a synopsis of the stories as I think most people know the general plot of the Potter stories....

Last night I finally watched Harry Potter's "Chambers of Secrets" and "Prisoner Of Azkaban" and have ordered all the rest of the series from Netflix. Brilliant, brilliant movies:guitarist

These are truly amazing and wonderful stories. I loved the scenery from England, New Zealand and Scotland. The actors were superb and endearing, and the animations were spectacular.

I'm giving both movies 5 of Nomies kernels...

Here's a link for those who don't know the story...

Harry Potter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rapunzel

FG Film Reviews

Post by Rapunzel »

I recently saw 'Knowing' and 'Star Trek' the prequel at the cinema.

Knowing - I love Nicholas Cage. :-4 I loved the beginning of this film where a piece of paper, buried in a time capsule for 50 years, is discovered with the date of every recent major catastrophe on it. There were also some secret numbers. I have to say it was pretty easy to guess what the secret numbers meant and you could see the ending coming a mile away. The first half was brilliant, imo, and worth 5 popcorn kernels. The ending, I felt, was a big disapointment especially as they gave you important information and then forgot about it and acted as though the info didn't exist. That part was only worth an empty greasy popcorn box. So I'll take the mean average and give it 3

Star Trek.

I was dragged to this unwillingly and wasn't expecting much, but have to say I absolutely LOVED it. I know it got a lot of poor reviews but I really liked seeing the crew's early lives, the story of how they met and got on (or didn't!).

SPOILER :lips: (highlight to read)

I loved the way the 2 guys got incinerated and it was fascinating to see Spock with a love interest! Woohoo!

I was also intrigued by how closely all (bar one) of the cast resembled the original crew. It was very well thought out, I felt.

I really hope that, in the Star Wars tradition, they make more of these prequels.

Angels and Demons.

I have recently finished reading the book and loved it waaaaay more than The Da Vinci Code. I can't wait to go and see this at the cinema. Has anyone seen this yet? :-6
Kathy Ellen

FG Film Reviews

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thanks for your reviews Rap. I'm going to watch the 1st part of "John Adams" tomorrow and then finish the Potter movies before starting the last 2 "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. I've read allllll of the Tolkien books and adore him.

Then I'll add all the Star Trek movies that I haven't watched and squeeze "Angels and Demons" amongst them:wah:

This is my summer of movies that I've been trying to watch for the last 2 years:wah:.
Rapunzel

FG Film Reviews

Post by Rapunzel »

Kathy Ellen;1208652 wrote: Thanks for your reviews Rap. I'm going to watch the 1st part of "John Adams" tomorrow and then finish the Potter movies before starting the last 2 "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. I've read allllll of the Tolkien books and adore him.

Then I'll add all the Star Trek movies that I haven't watched and squeeze "Angels and Demons" amongst them:wah:

This is my summer of movies that I've been trying to watch for the last 2 years:wah:.

You're welcome Kathy Ellen :-6

I LOVE the Harry Potter books and films and I love the Tolkien books too (apart from Silmarillion which I struggle with). I haven't seen the Lord of the Rings films but hubby and son have and they adore them. I'd really like to see Angels and Demons on the big screen as I think it would be so much better than seeing it for the first time on a small screen.

We've been to the cinema a few times now since it opened in out little town this summer. The problem is its SO expensive. The first time we went we paid for 4 seats, 4 drinks, 2 hotdogs, 1 box of popcorn and 1 bar of chocolate and it came to £55.00!!!

That's roughly $80.00 USD!!! Ridiculous!
Kathy Ellen

FG Film Reviews

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Rapunzel;1208674 wrote: You're welcome Kathy Ellen :-6

I LOVE the Harry Potter books and films and I love the Tolkien books too (apart from Silmarillion which I struggle with). I haven't seen the Lord of the Rings films but hubby and son have and they adore them. I'd really like to see Angels and Demons on the big screen as I think it would be so much better than seeing it for the first time on a small screen.

We've been to the cinema a few times now since it opened in out little town this summer. The problem is its SO expensive. The first time we went we paid for 4 seats, 4 drinks, 2 hotdogs, 1 box of popcorn and 1 bar of chocolate and it came to £55.00!!!

That's roughly $80.00 USD!!! Ridiculous!

I totally agree Rap,

WOW....that's an awful lot of money to spend for a movie and a bit of food.

That's one of reasons why I don't go to a movie theater anymore. More importantly though I hate when the theater is crowded and people talk during the film.

Geeze, a few years ago I would go with a friend to a matinee in the early afternoon, and the theater would be empty. A few people would come in and sit right in front of us in an empty theater:thinking::yh_rotfl

I think movies here cost about $11/e7.
Rapunzel

FG Film Reviews

Post by Rapunzel »

I know and I agree. Years ago it was fun and cheap to go to the pictures. We've watched our new cinema being planned and built over the last 10 years! (It was a long time in the planning stage!) So we really wanted to go and see what it was like. We went to see Knowing because I really wanted to see it but it most definitely wasn't worth the price.

For Star Trek we took in our own drinks and munchies but it still cost over £30 (c. $50.00 USD!) It's a shame because it's a nice family treat but we certainly won't be going too often!
CARLA

FG Film Reviews

Post by CARLA »

bump ...!! :D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

G-man

FG Film Reviews

Post by G-man »

Nomad;1208444 wrote: Popcorn kernel film review rating guidelines:

1 kernel = not worth watching

5 kernels = a top rated film, exceptional value in aspects of acting, storyline, soundtrack, cinematography etc.

A 5 kernel rating has classic film potential.

Here are the kernels. Lets use them with discretion please.

Nomad

FG Film Critic

Copy Rights held by Nomad 2009

The rating system is okay... I have no issues with the rating system, but... how are you gonna' copyright the kernels? Those aren't even your kernels! You just found those kernels lying about on Google, didn't you? You don't know where those kernels have been, even! Nope. I'll use my own #@*! kernels, thank you very much! :mad:

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Odie

FG Film Reviews

Post by Odie »

G-man;1208741 wrote: The rating system is okay... I have no issues with the rating system, but... how are you gonna' copyright the kernels? Those aren't even your kernels! You just found those kernels lying about on Google, didn't you? You don't know where those kernels have been, even! Nope. I'll use my own #@*! kernels, thank you very much! :mad:

I thought it was an exceptionally awesome thread.....until YOU mentioned the popcorn......burp.:lips::sneaky::p:p
Life is just to short for drama.
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

Kathy Ellen;1208628 wrote: Thank you again Chezzie...You're a doll:-4

"Harry Potter Movies"

I won't give a synopsis of the stories as I think most people know the general plot of the Potter stories....

Last night I finally watched Harry Potter's "Chambers of Secrets" and "Prisoner Of Azkaban" and have ordered all the rest of the series from Netflix. Brilliant, brilliant movies:guitarist

These are truly amazing and wonderful stories. I loved the scenery from England, New Zealand and Scotland. The actors were superb and endearing, and the animations were spectacular.

I'm giving both movies 5 of Nomies kernels...

Here's a link for those who don't know the story...

Harry Potter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kathy, your popcorn kernels look like either a cows head with a doo or a very cool and rebellious sheep.

Are you mocking the kernel ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

G-man;1208741 wrote: The rating system is okay... I have no issues with the rating system, but... how are you gonna' copyright the kernels? Those aren't even your kernels! You just found those kernels lying about on Google, didn't you? You don't know where those kernels have been, even! Nope. I'll use my own #@*! kernels, thank you very much! :mad:

Do I really have to pop my own popcorn then sift through the kernels photograph them, edit them etc. ?

I did find the kernels but they were just sitting there. They were neglected.

Im not copy righting the kernels per say Im copy righting the idea, the rating system.

I took old dusty kernels and brought them to Hollywood and made them all stars.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

FG Film Reviews

Post by chonsigirl »

Nomad;1208824 wrote: I took old dusty kernels and brought them to Hollywood and made them all stars.

You tell them, Nomad! 'Kernels" rule!

Attached files
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

chonsigirl;1208829 wrote: You tell them, Nomad! 'Kernels" rule!

:wah:

Better believe it sister !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Peg

FG Film Reviews

Post by Peg »

Nomad;1208824 wrote: Do I really have to pop my own popcorn then sift through the kernels photograph them, edit them etc. ?

Would you please?:p
G-man

FG Film Reviews

Post by G-man »

Nomad;1208820 wrote: Kathy, your popcorn kernels look like either a cows head with a doo or a very cool and rebellious sheep.

Are you mocking the kernel ?

They kinda' remind me of a lighter complected President Obama, actually... :wah:

Anyway, do ya' really wanna' go there? Or do ya' wanna' hear what I think "your" kernels look like? Trust me on this... it's NOT pretty! :wah:

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Rapunzel

FG Film Reviews

Post by Rapunzel »

Nomad;1208820 wrote: Kathy, your popcorn kernels look like either a cows head with a doo or a very cool and rebellious sheep.

So they doo! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

Stars ?

Thats really vanilla Kath.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Kathy Ellen

FG Film Reviews

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I've seen the 1st 2 parts of the HBO movie "John Adams." This is a brilliant movie...It's history coming alive...

"John Adams" (2008)
spot

FG Film Reviews

Post by spot »

It's not often I see a movie that impresses me. It takes a well-considered plot, no loose ends and fine acting. The Man from Earth managed all three. No high-grossing stars but impressive performances, especially one from Tony Todd - I knew I'd seen him somewhere else and it turned out I had, in SG-1.

The writer, Jerome Bixby, deserves a pat on the back, he got a lot in there. He worked on the script on and off for thirty years while creating episodes for successive Star Trek series and turning out short stories. This one he finally revised as he was dying ten years ago. I'm glad it made it onto the screen. Everyone involved in getting it there should take pleasure from their achievement. Thank you, it's a well-told tale. It's tight, it's claustrophobic and it carries a philosophy worth discussing.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

spot;1217452 wrote: It's not often I see a movie that impresses me. It takes a well-considered plot, no loose ends and fine acting. The Man from Earth managed all three. No high-grossing stars but impressive performances, especially one from Tony Todd - I knew I'd seen him somewhere else and it turned out I had, in SG-1.

The writer, Jerome Bixby, deserves a pat on the back, he got a lot in there. He worked on the script on and off for thirty years while creating episodes for successive Star Trek series and turning out short stories. This one he finally revised as he was dying ten years ago. I'm glad it made it onto the screen. Everyone involved in getting it there should take pleasure from their achievement. Thank you, it's a well-told tale. It's tight, it's claustrophobic and it carries a philosophy worth discussing.

I want to say Ive seen this one but Im not recalling many details. I guess thats about all I have to add here. I probably could not have added anything since whatever Ive just said is pretty much useless and void of any meaningful contribution yet for some reason I felt compelled to say something, anything. Sometimes thats how it is with me.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

FG Film Reviews

Post by spot »

Nomad;1217541 wrote: I want to say Ive seen this one but Im not recalling many details. I guess thats about all I have to add here. I probably could not have added anything since whatever Ive just said is pretty much useless and void of any meaningful contribution yet for some reason I felt compelled to say something, anything. Sometimes thats how it is with me.

You're thinking of The Man Who Fell To Earth. Different movie entirely. One has David Bowie, the other doesn't.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

spot;1217547 wrote: You're thinking of The Man Who Fell To Earth. Different movie entirely. One has David Bowie, the other doesn't.

I am not thinking of David Bowie. I rarely think of David Bowie. I cant think of the last time I did think of him. The only reason Im thinking of him now is because you mentioned him.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

FG Film Reviews

Post by spot »

For anyone who feels inclined to sit through three hours of emotional roller-coaster and end up a sobbing wreck clutched tight to whoever you persuaded to share your sofa I have the very thing, Three Smart Girls followed by its sequel, Three Smart Girls Grow Up. You need both, neither works without the other to get the full effect. The shock ending is one of the great moments of cinema, have at least one extra hankie left to cope with it.
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

spot;1218349 wrote: For anyone who feels inclined to sit through three hours of emotional roller-coaster and end up a sobbing wreck clutched tight to whoever you persuaded to share your sofa I have the very thing, Three Smart Girls followed by its sequel, Three Smart Girls Grow Up. You need both, neither works without the other to get the full effect. The shock ending is one of the great moments of cinema, have at least one extra hankie left to cope with it.

I dunno spock.

The three Craig sisters, in Switzerland with their ten-years-divorced mother, run away to New York to prevent their father from marrying calculating socialite Donna Lyons. The overpowering vivacity of the Smart Girls (nominal ages 14-20) sweeps all before it, but a romantic complication between middle sister Kay and their accidental ally, Lord Michael Stuart, threatens shipwreck to their schemes... Written by Rod Crawford {puffinus@u.washington.edu}

Hoping to reunite their divorced parents, the three Craig sisters plot to prevent the marriage of their father to a gold-digger. Their scheme to match her up with a penniless Count backfire, but but a wealthy Australian saves the day.
I AM AWESOME MAN
fuzzywuzzy

FG Film Reviews

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

but a wealthy Australian saves the day.

As always, we're like that in fiction you know.:D

Okay end of school holidays here.

Ice age 3 .........don't see it if you're expecting the same as 1 and 2 .......BORING!!!!

Transformers!!! oh god save me !!!! Send a trusted male along with them seriously not for the intelligent
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

Haunting in Conneticut

Im not a horror film fan because most of them suck this one being no exception. I managed to eek through it though for the sound effects.

Lots of scary. startling, noises to make your heart jump.

Nomads Sound Effects Rating:
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lon

FG Film Reviews

Post by Lon »

The biggest rip off Horror Film that I remember seeing was "The Thing". You sit for one hour and 15 minutes of black and white film where some one opens the door to a cabin during a big storm and standing in the doorway is something looking like a giant carrott (James Arness of Gunsmoke fame). It was a 1951 flick.

THE THING: Kenneth Tobey, Margaret Sheridan, James Arness, James Young - HOMEVIDEOS.com
fuzzywuzzy

FG Film Reviews

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Beautiful Kate.

YouTube - Beautiful Kate trailer
fuzzywuzzy

FG Film Reviews

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

September

YouTube - September - Australian Inside Film - 2007 Trailer

I'm just putting the trailers here because it wouldn't matter what I said about the film
fuzzywuzzy

FG Film Reviews

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Last train to Freo, this film makes me feel very uncomfortable

YouTube - Last Train to Freo
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

Lon;1224506 wrote: The biggest rip off Horror Film that I remember seeing was "The Thing". You sit for one hour and 15 minutes of black and white film where some one opens the door to a cabin during a big storm and standing in the doorway is something looking like a giant carrott (James Arness of Gunsmoke fame). It was a 1951 flick.

THE THING: Kenneth Tobey, Margaret Sheridan, James Arness, James Young - HOMEVIDEOS.com

They dont show the carrot in that link.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

Bangkok Dangerous

Nicolas Cage

This video cannot be played here. Watch it on youtube.com.

This video is no longer available.

Bangkok Dangerous (Trailer)
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

Bangkok Dangerous

ok...

I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

FG Film Reviews

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1226867 wrote: Bangkok Dangerous

ok...

looks really good!
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

Odie;1226870 wrote: looks really good!

Im a little over loaded on Cage. He really needs to start stretching himself as an actor.

Or take a long hiatus and refresh himself.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oops

FG Film Reviews

Post by Oops »

We went to see Orphan this afternoon, was actually really good with a twist that i didnt see coming (although i guess thats the whole point) :D
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear ~Winnie the Pooh~
chonsigirl

FG Film Reviews

Post by chonsigirl »

GI Joe

If you like action films, special effects and US Army v bad guys fighting it out all over the planet, then this is a film you will like. Probably too violent for young ones, but for older teens on up it would be fine.
AussiePam

FG Film Reviews

Post by AussiePam »

I'll have to look up 'Orphan' - haven't heard of that. Tonight, it being Saturday, I think we're going to 'Public Enemies' - has Johnny Depp in it. Need one say more?!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Odie

FG Film Reviews

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1226872 wrote: Im a little over loaded on Cage. He really needs to start stretching himself as an actor.

Or take a long hiatus and refresh himself.

really?

I thought most of his movies were great.

plus.......just his looks.......:sneaky:
fuzzywuzzy

FG Film Reviews

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Hhhmmm I won't be watching it . don't like horror or movies that depict children as evil. Especially orphans. You get to much of a backlash.

Watched a few trailers and scenes. But, if it wags your tail?
Nomad

FG Film Reviews

Post by Nomad »

Fragments.

Looks like its right up my alley.

Fragments - Google Search#
I AM AWESOME MAN
Peg

FG Film Reviews

Post by Peg »

We just watched "A Haunting in Connecticut". We all really liked it but there is one part we can't figure out. For anyone that has seen it, when the guy came with the axe, the girl told the little girl to go play hide and seek. He made her and the boy get out of the house. When the house was burning, why was no mention made of the little girl?
Oops

FG Film Reviews

Post by Oops »

Peg;1227356 wrote: We just watched "A Haunting in Connecticut". We all really liked it but there is one part we can't figure out. For anyone that has seen it, when the guy came with the axe, the girl told the little girl to go play hide and seek. He made her and the boy get out of the house. When the house was burning, why was no mention made of the little girl?

Ooh we watched this at my mums last night. I think i mentioned it in the other film thread. Thats a very good point actually!

What did you think of the eyelids! wasnt that horrible! :eek:
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear ~Winnie the Pooh~
Peg

FG Film Reviews

Post by Peg »

My daughter gave me a site to check out that tells about these movies that are based on true stories. It didn't say anything about that but that was disgusting. The fire never happened.
Oops

FG Film Reviews

Post by Oops »

Peg;1227382 wrote: My daughter gave me a site to check out that tells about these movies that are based on true stories. It didn't say anything about that but that was disgusting. The fire never happened.

I actually meant to find some info about it when we came home last night, but it went right out my head. I wanted to see what parts of the film were true etc as i had a feeling it wouldnt be much. Im surprised about the fire though as that was quite a big part of the story :rolleyes:
Kathy Ellen

FG Film Reviews

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I just finished watching the movie "Hellboy" but I need to go back and watch the beginning as I was interrupted:(

What a great movie.....faulous.....My new hero is "Hellboy." He's comes off as evil, but he's a sweetie...really:-4 All of the other monster were wacky, funny and scary at times.

Here's a link.......

Hellboy (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Hellboy trailer
spot

FG Film Reviews

Post by spot »

Kathy Ellen;1227597 wrote: I just finished watching the movie "Hellboy" but I need to go back and watch the beginning as I was interrupted:(

What a great movie.....faulous.....
It's a movie where people get killed? I try hard to avoid that sort of plot. For one thing the makers shouldn't be encouraged and for another I'd only get upset with myself if I enjoyed it.

Hitting's distressing too, I don't like movies where people hit each other either.
Oops

FG Film Reviews

Post by Oops »

If i remember rightly he's a superhero Spot and i think the film has quite a bit of humour in it too. Although the name does make it sound rather ominous :D

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”