Extra Parts Help Please

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
flopstock

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by flopstock »

The hardware store guy sold me this little kit to reseat the tank on the toilet.

So I go to remove the old bolt and get a bolt, a rubber washer, a metal washer and a hexnut - that's it.

Here's what's in the package I got.

What is up with all the extra parts? What the heck am I supposed to do with them? :-2

Do I have to use them or just put on the same parts I took off? I really like the nut that has the finger grip thingys but there wasn't one on there before..:thinking:

Attached files
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by CARLA »

My guess is they are extra just in case. Toilets are different this kit cover all the possibilities. Just replace the parts that match what you need for your toilet. Now if it leaks when your done then I take the 5th..!! :yh_rotfl

If you look at this tank picture you see two screws on the bottom. Make sure yours doesn't need two..!! :D

Attached files
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Kathy Ellen

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Floppy,

I'm so sorry that I can't help you. The last time I had a problem with my toilet I couldn't get a plumber to look at it for hours....I was even going to call Ducky's husband at 2 in the AM to ask him what to do:wah: I'd call Ducky now except that she's in Ireland:wah:

I must say Floppy that you are indeed a very brave woman to try to reseat your toilet's tank...brave indeed:-6

Hope someone can give you some help.
Odie

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by Odie »

sometimes kits will include extra parts for different sizes.

just replace the right size parts that you need........
Life is just to short for drama.
Sunshine

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by Sunshine »

click around on the different things that need to be done to get that tank of yours up and running properly. Here is a good site to check out.

Reassemble Components in a Toilet Repair: How to Fix a Running Toilet | eHow.com
flopstock

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by flopstock »

Thanks kids, all went well and I celebrated with Mexican food today..:sneaky::wah:

I find I'm coming to a better understanding of men in my endeavors to at least try home repairs before spending money I do not have to spend or at least could spend elsewhere..

Apparently the reason men don't find it strange to take something apart, put it back together and have extra parts left laying about is that they are routinely sold extra parts for the tasks they are undertaking.

This also explains their attitude of saving parts just in case they ever need them.. there must be the possibility they will need them someday or the manufacturers wouldn't have included them in the kit to begin with, would they:-2
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

qsducks

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by qsducks »

If I saved all the extra parts that came with these kits my drawers would be overflowing...throw it out.
flopstock

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by flopstock »

qsducks;1206801 wrote: If I saved all the extra parts that came with these kits my drawers would be overflowing...throw it out.

Why do you suppose they do it?:-2

Nomad

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by Nomad »

flopstock;1206824 wrote: Why do you suppose they do it?:-2

:wah:

Because as you said they may come in handy. After a year or two maybe you havent used them but youve become attached to them. They have a home, they belong there. Theyve become a necessity, the screw and bolt drawer wouldnt be the same without them. Youve come to depend on them because a bond has been built. You know theyre there for you if you should find yourself in a predicament. So you return the loyalty by keeping them even though you have no idea what theyre for anymore.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1206843 wrote: :wah:

Because as you said they may come in handy. After a year or two maybe you havent used them but youve become attached to them. They have a home, they belong there. Theyve become a necessity, the screw and bolt drawer wouldnt be the same without them. Youve come to depend on them because a bond has been built. You know theyre there for you if you should find yourself in a predicament. So you return the loyalty by keeping them even though you have no idea what theyre for anymore.

its amazing how many spare parts I have used in the years!

They are a necessity!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
Sunshine

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by Sunshine »

Oh the old, what the heck is this and why did I keep it, sort of things. Have many of those things in my basement. I just know, once I throw it out, I will find a need for it. I bought it, I better keep it. :yh_rotfl
farmer giles

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by farmer giles »

is this your way of telling us you are a hermaphrodite :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

could explain all your ballsy posts :wah:

see the thread about the guy with two knobs you might find some help there :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

you are going to ban me are'nt you :-3:-3
Bill Sikes

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by Bill Sikes »

CARLA;1206365 wrote: B]If you look at this tank picture you see two screws on the bottom. Make sure yours doesn't need two..!! : D

My goodness, what a horribly crude device. Don't you have syphonic mechanisms?
CARLA

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by CARLA »

Yes as they are replaced but you would be amazed at how many still have this type of mechanism. :wah:

[QUOTE]My goodness, what a horribly crude device. Don't you have syphonic mechanisms?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Bill Sikes

Extra Parts Help Please

Post by Bill Sikes »

CARLA;1207023 wrote: Yes as they are replaced but you would be amazed at how many still have this type of mechanism. : wah:

Interestingly, these frightful, crude, water-wasting (leaky) things are now sometimes installed in British W.Cs. This is because of the "European Union" regulations imposed on us.

Where's the be awise water rep thingummy poster gone?

Return to “Home Management”