David Letterman-The Abominable Showman

Political photo parodies, jokes, and more!
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I think David Letterman has earned this title for his latest attempt at humor about Sarah Palin's daughter. Disgusting!
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

What is it about Sarah Palin that seems to terrify liberal 'crats? Are they so upset by the thought that she might pull the carpet from under their sorry a$$e$ that they feel the need to stoop to new lows, even for lib 'crats?
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Zapata;1202136 wrote: I think David Letterman has earned this title for his latest attempt at humor about Sarah Palin's daughter. Disgusting!

Did I miss a quote here?:-2
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

hoppy;1202141 wrote: What is it about Sarah Palin that seems to terrify liberal 'crats? Are they so upset by the thought that she might pull the carpet from under their sorry a$$e$ that they feel the need to stoop to new lows, even for lib 'crats?

Do you even know what you are harping about dear, or are you just on autopilot?:D
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Sorry about not putting a clip or quote in my post. My computer won't let me do that. And when I went back to try to find a direct quote, my computer wouldn't bring it up. Obviously I need a new computer-one that doesn't lean quite so far Left. I watched the film clip of David Letterman doing his monologue on tv and the gist of it was that Sarah Palin was having a good time in New York (she was there doing some charity things for autism) with her daughter and that her daughter had "just been knocked up by Alex Rodriguez."
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

not herd of this ..yet i:)
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Letterman said "an awkward moment" occurred for Palin when, "during the seventh inning, her daughter was knocked up by (Yankee third baseman) Alex Rodriguez."

Without naming her, the joke seemed to refer to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol, an unwed mother.

But it was 14-year-old daughter Willow, not Bristol, who had been at the game.

Todd Palin issued a statement that said "any 'jokes' about raping my 14-year-old are despicable
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

:rolleyes:Ya know, if they had just left it at Bristol, who was knocked up during the campaign, they would have had my sympathy for anyone making that comment against her.

But to pretend that they really believed he was making a joke about the younger daughter, that most of us didn't even know existed... geesh!:rolleyes:

The comment should not have been made. They twisted it to get more press out of it. It was simply wrong and rather then drag the 13 year old through the press like they did bristol, they should have just expressed their outrage and not bothered with the 'rape' a minor crap.

Lettermans comment was not directed at her.

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Here's the account as reported on my Yahoo news page

Search TV The Late Show With David Letterman TV Show - The Late Show With David Letterman Television Show - Yahoo! TV

The Late Show With David Letterman

News

Letterman sort of apologizes about Palin wisecrack

Thu Jun 11, 9:03 AM PDT

David Letterman deftly played it both ways on Wednesday's "Late Show" as he apologized for wisecracks aimed earlier in the week at Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and one of her teenage daughters -- even as he milked the situation for more laughs.

"Of course, we make mistakes left and right," the CBS host said as he began a lengthy discourse that blended flashes of contrition with moments of hilarity as he took more pokes at Palin and her family.

Letterman had made several jokes on Monday's monologue about the Palin family's visit to New York.

His Top Ten list featured "Highlights of Sarah Palin's Trip," and included: "Bought makeup at Bloomingdale's to update her 'slutty flight attendant' look."

But the diciest joke centered on the family attending a Yankees baseball game.

Letterman said "an awkward moment" occurred for Palin when, "during the seventh inning, her daughter was knocked up by (Yankee third baseman) Alex Rodriguez."

Without naming her, the joke seemed to refer to Palin's 18-year-old daughter Bristol, an unwed mother.

But it was 14-year-old daughter Willow, not Bristol, who had been at the game.

Todd Palin issued a statement that said "any 'jokes' about raping my 14-year-old are despicable."

And Sarah Palin charged Letterman with "sexually perverted comments made by a 62-year-old male celebrity."

"I am not a celebrity," said a deadpan Letterman, interrupting himself as he read the statements aloud on Wednesday's show. "I'm 62 years old, but I'm not a celebrity."

He denied the joke was meant to be about Willow Palin.

"I would never, never make jokes about raping or having sex of any description with a 14-year-old girl," he said, dropping his signature sarcasm. "I don't think it's funny. I would never think it was funny."

"I'm not necessarily proud of these jokes," he said in a more ironically self-deprecating moment. "We do stuff all the time and our objective here is to get a laugh, and thank God we don't have to go to the Hague and the World Court to defend them. It's a joke and that's all it's supposed to be."

Before he was done, he tried to boil down the situation into two key points, which he stated with playful precision:

"Am I guilty of poor taste? Yes.

"Did I suggest that it was OK for her 14-year-old daughter to be having promiscuous sex? No."

He also invited Palin to be a guest on his show, saying, "I think we could put these differences behind us." But the offer, extended to both Palin and her husband ("or leave Todd at home," Letterman suggested), was turned down on Thursday.

"The Palins have no intention of providing a ratings boost for David Letterman by appearing on his show," said Palin spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton. "Plus, it would be wise to keep Willow away from David Letterman."
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I was pleased to see David Letterman do this:

The Late Show With David Letterman

News

Sarah Palin accepts David Letterman's apology

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

Tue Jun 16, 6:05 AM PDT

Sarah Palin says she accepts David Letterman's apology for the joke about her daughter.

The Alaska governor, in a statement issued Tuesday, said the apology was accepted "on behalf of all young women, like my daughters, who hope men who `joke' about public displays of sexual exploitation of girls will soon evolve."

On his CBS' "Late Show" on Monday night, Letterman said his joke about one of Palin's daughters being "knocked up" by Alex Rodriguez can't be defended.

He said the joke referred to 18-year-old Bristol Palin, not her 14-year-old sister Willow. But Letterman said it's his responsibility that people believed that he intended to target Willow, who had attended a New York Yankees game with her mother.

"I'm sorry about it, and I'll try to do better in the future," he said.

Letterman last week tried to make light of the joke after the first indications that it fallen flat. Palin had called the comments "sexually perverted," and her husband, Todd, said that "any jokes about raping my 14-year-old are despicable."

Palin said Tuesday that Letterman has the right to joke about whatever he wants to, and "thankfully we have the right to express our reaction."

"This is all thanks to our U.S. military men and women putting their lives on the line for us to secure American's right to free speech," she said. "In this case, may that right be used to promote equality and respect."

Although Bristol, an unwed mother, was the target of his joke, Letterman didn't name her when it was originally made on June 8.

It was "a coarse joke," "a bad joke," Letterman told viewers. "But I never thought it was (about) anybody other than the older daughter, and before the show, I checked to make sure, in fact, that she is of legal age, 18."

"The joke, really, in and of itself, can't be defended," he declared.

If there's a misconception that he was making the joke about a 14-year-old, Letterman said he understands why people are upset. "I would be upset myself," he said.

"I feel that I need to do the right thing here and apologize for having told that joke," he said. "It's not your fault that it was misunderstood, it's my fault that it was misunderstood."

Letterman made several references to the issue during his monologue, introducing himself as "Dave Letterman, good will ambassador." He said he got a call from his mother earlier in the day telling him she was siding with Palin.

When he began a joke about Bernard Madoff, whom he called "the most hated man in America," he then amended that to a list of two.

"Me, Bernie Madoff," he said. "He was waaay out in front until a couple of days ago."

I don't think that when he says he intended for the joke to be about the 18 year old, that that makes the comment acceptable, but at least he gave what appeared to be an honest apology (for whatever reasons) and he did it without joking about it, as he did with his first apology.

___
G-man

Post by G-man »

The jokes were in poor taste and quite frankly not really funny, but he did apologize for the remarks and Palin made the ridiculous suggestion that her 14 year old daughter wouldn't be safe around Letterman, so that's pretty much evened things out. The joke was obviously aimed at the older daughter, but the writer's of the joke failed with their research.

I must admit that his quip about Palin stopping to buy makeup at Bloomingdale’s to update her ‘slutty flight attendant’ look cracked me up, though. :yh_rotfl

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

hoppy;1202141 wrote: What is it about Sarah Palin that seems to terrify liberal 'crats? Are they so upset by the thought that she might pull the carpet from under their sorry a$$e$ that they feel the need to stoop to new lows, even for lib 'crats?

I think terrify is an absurd word to apply to how many feel about her.

I dont believe fear is even in the equation.

Speaking for myself shes more entertainment than anything.

As for one side or the other lowballing Id say the score is tied.

Seriously wouldnt you ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Nomad;1206063 wrote:

As for one side or the other lowballing Id say the score is tied.

Seriously wouldnt you ?

Would you clarify that for me, please?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Zapata;1206144 wrote: Would you clarify that for me, please?

Hops is always going on about the low blows Democrats dish out and then acts indignant as if the Republicans arent doing the same. Rush does it, Hannity does it, they gasp when someone from the left utters words they find reprehensible and put on a horse and pony show pointing fingers and feigning disbelief all the while throwing mud hurling insults and slinging trash at anyone remotely not conservative. Its nauseating.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Nomad;1206331 wrote: Hops is always going on about the low blows Democrats dish out and then acts indignant as if the Republicans arent doing the same. Rush does it, Hannity does it, they gasp when someone from the left utters words they find reprehensible and put on a horse and pony show pointing fingers and feigning disbelief all the while throwing mud hurling insults and slinging trash at anyone remotely not conservative. Its nauseating.

Oh Nomad, I so agree. Most of these talk show hosts sicken me.:yh_sick All they do is yell, rant and rage about the democrats.

I'm a big radio fan and loved to listen to talk shows that had the democrats and republicans on. Now our only 2 talk show stations have basically gotten rid of the few democratic shows, food shows, consumer shows and theater shows:mad::mad: I enjoy listening to both sides....

Their new motto must be "disposable people for sale.":sneaky:

I'm so fed up with Rush, Bill, Sean, Curtis, Levin and Steve Malzberg. All the do is scream, rant and rage and sling mud at anyone who don't agree with them. They're constantly challenging everyone to butt heads with them and laugh as they think that everyone is afraid of them:yh_rotfl

Oh give me Rudi Giuliani, Kuby and Ed Koch anytime to listen to anytime. I adore Ed Koch...feisty man who made a lot of common sense:-6

I have XM radio in my car and have been listening to Bill Bennett. Do you remember him? He was our secretary of education during Reagans admin.

I like him....He's like our Mr. Rogers.....all calm, cool and collected......chill time....:wah: He's a smart, logical man who knows his stuff:D
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Nomad;1206331 wrote: Hops is always going on about the low blows Democrats dish out and then acts indignant as if the Republicans arent doing the same. Rush does it, Hannity does it, they gasp when someone from the left utters words they find reprehensible and put on a horse and pony show pointing fingers and feigning disbelief all the while throwing mud hurling insults and slinging trash at anyone remotely not conservative. Its nauseating.

Thanks, Nomad.

I thought it was interesting that not one person on this forum voiced an opinion that they thought the comment was wrong, regardless of who made it. I don't think jokes about a girl who became pregnant once & dealt with it and the embarrassment of it for herself and her family, needs to be the ongoing butt of jokes. (That's IF the older girl was the target, which I doubt. Letterman & other comics deliver the jokes, they don't research them & write them, so he probably didn't know who his target was, but he should have been able to rely on his staff to know.) Is it really that much better to say it wasn't targeting the 14 year old, but her sister who is 4 years older? Well, she is of legal age . . . If a Conservative had said anything even approaching what Letterman said, about Chelsea Clinton (when her father was catting around) or even remotely suggested anything risque about the Obama girls, he would be fired and then tarred and feathered. Like Imus. He was clearly wrong. I don't like Rush Limbaugh, I think he's an idiot, and yeah, Hannity goes on and on, ad nauseum, but I don't think they would make a comment like that about a politician's child. I don't think anyone would.

I'm rather surprised that A-Rod didn't find it upsetting, but maybe he's used to having his name in the news regarding his female conquests. I didn't find Letterman's comment about "slutty flight attendant" particularly funny. I guess I haven't seen any of those. Most flight attendants I've seen are not "slutty-looking.

Ok, I'd take a tranquilizer and calm down but I don't have any-I've never taken one, so I guess I'll go listen to CNN News and see if I can figure out something for Iran. :)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Zapata,

I am so sorry that I didn't respond to your op...I truly am and quite embarrassed:o.

I came into your thread to respond to your thoughts and was distracted by Nomad's post...so it's all his fault:thinking::wah: I had a phone call as I was responding to his post and just forgot to reply to yours. Forgive me please.

I thought Letterman's joke was awful and insulting to the Palin family. Geeze, I don't believe that it's good taste at all to insult another person's family...no matter who they are.

I always feel badly when the media makes fun of a celebrity, religious or political person's family, especially their children. Why drag the kidlets into this nonsense? :confused:

Unfortunately, this is how media works:mad:
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Thanks Kathy.:) You stated it better than I did. Leave the kids & family alone!

I can understand that you would be distracted by Nomie. He is a hunk, isn't he? Cute little roly-poly, yellow fellow. :yh_hugs
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Zapata;1206346 wrote: Thanks, Nomad.

I thought it was interesting that not one person on this forum voiced an opinion that they thought the comment was wrong, regardless of who made it. I don't think jokes about a girl who became pregnant once & dealt with it and the embarrassment of it for herself and her family, needs to be the ongoing butt of jokes. (That's IF the older girl was the target, which I doubt. Letterman & other comics deliver the jokes, they don't research them & write them, so he probably didn't know who his target was, but he should have been able to rely on his staff to know.) Is it really that much better to say it wasn't targeting the 14 year old, but her sister who is 4 years older? Well, she is of legal age . . . If a Conservative had said anything even approaching what Letterman said, about Chelsea Clinton (when her father was catting around) or even remotely suggested anything risque about the Obama girls, he would be fired and then tarred and feathered. Like Imus. He was clearly wrong. I don't like Rush Limbaugh, I think he's an idiot, and yeah, Hannity goes on and on, ad nauseum, but I don't think they would make a comment like that about a politician's child. I don't think anyone would.

I'm rather surprised that A-Rod didn't find it upsetting, but maybe he's used to having his name in the news regarding his female conquests. I didn't find Letterman's comment about "slutty flight attendant" particularly funny. I guess I haven't seen any of those. Most flight attendants I've seen are not "slutty-looking.

Ok, I'd take a tranquilizer and calm down but I don't have any-I've never taken one, so I guess I'll go listen to CNN News and see if I can figure out something for Iran. :)

Im not so critical of him. People say stupid things. We all do. You might find this hard to believe but I myself have said some idiotic things.

Humans being what they are should be held accountable but forgiven just as easily since we all seem to have the same foot in mouth ailment.

He gets a pass on this end.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Political Humor Satire”