I don't get it.

buttercup

I don't get it.

Post by buttercup »

In your own words without quoting some holy book please.

Why do you feel the need for gods, religion, praying, churches, temples whatever you call your place of worship.

Do you need something to believe in, why?
hoppy

I don't get it.

Post by hoppy »

buttercup;1206055 wrote: In your own words without quoting some holy book please.

Why do you feel the need for gods, religion, praying, churches, temples whatever you call your place of worship.

Even atheists believe in things. Why? Because something convinces them their beliefs are true. Same with religeous people.
buttercup

I don't get it.

Post by buttercup »

Ok so you believe there is a god, why do you prey to him or her, why do you need a place to do it in with others.
Kathy Ellen

I don't get it.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I'm with you on this one Buttercup, maybe because I'm not religious and just don't care.

Personal opinions are not appreciated in many threads in FG. You need to provide link, after link, after link to prove your point. Sifting through tons of links is daunting to say the least. Where do you find the time to do that?? Do most people enjoy reading all of those links?

I don't get it either:confused:
hoppy

I don't get it.

Post by hoppy »

buttercup;1206065 wrote: Ok so you believe there is a god, why do you prey to him or her, why do you need a place to do it in with others.

As far as needing a place to pray, that's for the people. God don't need an elaborate building. Believers pray to their god to ask for things or to express their thanks for what they believe God provided them.
hoppy

I don't get it.

Post by hoppy »

Kathy Ellen;1206069 wrote: I'm with you on this one Buttercup, maybe because I'm not religious and just don't care.

Personal opinions are not appreciated in many threads in FG. You need to provide link, after link, after link to prove your point. Sifting through tons of links is daunting to say the least. Where do you find the time to do that?? Do most people enjoy reading all of those links?

I feel the same way as you about providing links for every damn word said. Hey, if I found this item, someone else can find it. I like to say, "it's in the book. Look it up".
buttercup

I don't get it.

Post by buttercup »

hoppy;1206073 wrote: As far as needing a place to pray, that's for the people. God don't need an elaborate building. Believers pray to their god to ask for things or to express their thanks for what they believe God provided them.

If your god does not need elaborate buildings why are they elaborate? They are often the largest buildings in any town or city. Does it make you feel a better person for providing these things even knowing that he/she does not want or need them? That does not make sence to me either.
Peg

I don't get it.

Post by Peg »

What I don't get is people who go to church ever week, never missing, yet you see them in the bar drunk, talking nasty about people behind their backs, etc. If that is what religion is all about, it's not for me.
Abram Is Muslim

I don't get it.

Post by Abram Is Muslim »

buttercup;1206055 wrote: In your own words without quoting some holy book please.

Why I need God...??

well lets say , Why I need to know the creator of that universe,if you could prove that the world was createn by chance, then no need to know the creator.

Why I need the place where I worship him....??

Well,look friend , again repeating it , imagine me an Engineer designed a machine ,who is the best to make a manual for this machine , me the designer Engineer, who no one like him , lets imagine im the only Engineer ever, who would be able to put a manual like me ...!!no one , may be some technical (the Athiest Civil laws) may be they will try to put some manuals , but because they didint design it , they wont be able to put a perfect design , because they will never know the design as much as I know it ....(And sure God has the highest example)

So,, I need to follow his manual he made me(The Holy message ) , and follow it , but because people are weak and ready to fall in sin ,and because the fritcion the machines face , we needto lubricate it periodically , and thats the role of worshiping , strengthening you against the friction (the sins , and the bad stuff face you in ur life), the worshiping is like reminding for you,it keep you on the striaght path.

Why do we believe in something...??

Youas a good Citizen believe in the civillaws ,anddo ur best to follow it , and be careful on not breaking it , thats the different between an Athism anda believer,you worship the Congress,while weworship God ,you follow the Congress laws , while we follow the laws of God.

Dont say Oh, then you made that God by ur brains ,no

he sent his laws in a book and challanged everybody to prove that the book isnt his Book, visit me at Isllam and the modern science ,and discuss the prove that Quran isnt the qord of God ,and by science :), peace for You
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Islamic History Of Europe

Why Im a terrorist.....??Loving Jihad
Kathy Ellen

I don't get it.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Muhamed:-6

Thank you for posting in your own words without posting links. That's nice to see.

I'm an agnostic. I'm not sure if there is an almighty supreme being or not. In my heart, I honestly don't care one way or the other. Keeping an open mind about religion and listening to other's thoughts are important to me as long as the person speaks from the heart and not through links, and also listens to my point of view.

I just try to be the best person that I can be and forgive myself when I err in making poor judgements. My family and friends, children, neighbors, animals and good, fun living are important to me.

If there is a place like Heaven and Hell, I know that I'll be in the better of the 2 places. I try to do my best and make each day special by being kind to others, being productive and just enjoying life with my loved ones.

It's a simple as that to me;)
Abram Is Muslim

I don't get it.

Kathy Ellen;1206146 wrote: Hello Muhamed:-6

Thank you for posting in your own words without posting links. That's nice to see.

I'm an agnostic. I'm not sure if there is an almighty supreme being or not. In my heart, I honestly don't care one way or the other. Keeping an open mind about religion and listening to other's thoughts are important to me as long as the person speaks from the heart and not through links, and also listens to my point of view.

I just try to be the best person that I can be and forgive myself when I err in making poor judgements. My family and friends, children, neighbors, animals and good, fun living are important to me.

If there is a place like Heaven and Hell, I know that I'll be in the better of the 2 places. I try to do my best and make each day special by being kind to others, being productive and just enjoying life with my loved ones.

what if you gave Birth for a kid ,and he grow up , and no even cared of connecting you , or taking care of who is his mother.....??

will that son be good son...??

Kathy Ellen

I don't get it.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Abram Is Muslim;1206149 wrote: what if you gave Birth for a kid ,and he grow up , and no even cared of connecting you , or taking care of who is his mother.....??

will that son be good son...??

Not sure what you mean. If I gave birth to a child then this child would grow up to be loved by his family and friends, and will be well taken care of.

Yes, I hope he would be a good son. He would have much guidance from his loved ones, and when he grew up, he would make his own decisions.
Abram Is Muslim

I don't get it.

Kathy Ellen;1206152 wrote: Not sure what you mean. If I gave birth to a child then this child would grow up to be loved by his family and friends, and will be well taken care of.

Yes, I hope he would be a good son. He would have much guidance from his loved ones, and when he grew up, he would make his own decisions.

can one of his owen desicion denying ur motherhood after u gave him everything and never asked him anything back....??

Abram Is Muslim

I don't get it.

brb after my exam to complete that discussion :)

Kathy Ellen

I don't get it.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Abram Is Muslim;1206154 wrote: can one of his owen desicion denying ur motherhood after u gave him everything and never asked him anything back....??

Why would he deny my motherhood? He would always know that I loved him and gave him the best advice I could. When he's an adult, he's free to fly and make his own decision. His foundation would be the love, morals and values of his family, friends, neighbors and education.

If he wishes to learn about religion that's his decision. I would never deny him freedom of religion or speech.
Abram Is Muslim

I don't get it.

Kathy Ellen;1206163 wrote: Why would he deny my motherhood? He would always know that I loved him and gave him the best advice I could. When he's an adult, he's free to fly and make his own decision. His foundation would be the love, morals and values of his family, friends, neighbors and education.

If he wishes to learn about religion that's his decision. I would never deny him freedom of religion or speech.

My point, You has been given whole your body , ur sight, your hearing by SomeOne You say that you dont even care for knowing him , its worse than that son denying your motherhood, because the Creator who you dont even care of knowing , gave you more than you could give that son....But You dont even care of knowing him :confused:

Brb after Exams , Peace for you Kathy :)

buttercup

I don't get it.

Post by buttercup »

Hi Muhamed

I have to work this evening but yes i would like to see the thread where you discuss science v religious beliefs, please leave a link to it for me. Thank you.

As for your question to Kathy from my point of view i do not EXPECT anything of my children, if i see them daily thats good but its also good if i only see them weekly, monthly, yearly ect. It all depends on what is going on in their life and where they are living. The more equipped they are to be independent in the world the better. If they can live well independently of me ive done a good job raising them.

I do not expect them to look after me in my old age.
Kathy Ellen

I don't get it.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Muhamed....Your religious beliefs are your own, and it's your opinion.

I have not met anyone who could convince me that there is a supreme being who created the world. I'm not denying the fact that there may be a supreme being, but I have no proof. I'm not going to believe the words in a book written by human beings.

I do wonder how the world was created and understand the scientific point of view, but do not understand why I would believe messages written in a book to be the truth.
Snowfire

I don't get it.

Post by Snowfire »

Kathy Ellen;1206069 wrote: I'm with you on this one Buttercup, maybe because I'm not religious and just don't care.

I have to say this is a irritation to me sometimes too. Opinion and personal experience count for nothing a lot of the time. We all have personal experiences that mould our opinions of certain topics and are as valid as a hundred links

I am an athiest. I do not believe in a creator, a God. I respect those that do believe and respect their religions and their freedom to practice it. I would hope that they would respect the fact I am an Athiest and my freedom to not believe. I've never understood why each religion thinks their path is the correct and only one. Their God is the only one. Nomad made an excellent post along those lines in another thread.

I do not and never would foist my beliefs on others and detest the way fundementalists of all religion feel the need to "fill my heart with God" My heart is already full, with the love of family and friends. I have no more room, thank you. I do not need a scripture to determine my moral code. I am good, moral, polite and honest, maybe more so than a few religious leaders around the world - and a few nearer home too.

I do not seek God. I do not need God but I'm happy for those that have found God.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
flopstock

I don't get it.

Post by flopstock »

Abram Is Muslim;1206154 wrote: can one of his owen desicion denying ur motherhood after u gave him everything and never asked him anything back....??

I no more want to know a god who demands worship then i want to date a man who is constantly demanding that I admire what he does or how he looks.

To my mind, if there is a god and she is good... she will look and judge us based on how we treated each other and whoa be damned to anyone who dared to hurt anyone else in her name..:thinking:

Religion is simply an out. Faith in anything is hard to maintain over time. Belief in each other would be our best bet.. but we won't take it.. never have.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

hoppy

I don't get it.

Post by hoppy »

Kathy Ellen;1206185 wrote: Muhamed....Your religious beliefs are your own, and it's your opinion.

I have not met anyone who could convince me that there is a supreme being who created the world. I'm not denying the fact that there may be a supreme being, but I have no proof. I'm not going to believe the words in a book written by human beings.

I do wonder how the world was created and understand the scientific point of view, but do not understand why I would believe messages written in a book to be the truth.

If you don't believe, fine. If that makes you feel good, don't believe. As far as people going to church every week, then being in bars and all the rest of the week, who do you think belongs in church? Honest, perfectly moral people have no need to ask their God for forgiveness and help with their vices.
Kathy Ellen

I don't get it.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I have to leave for a few hours Muhamed. If I don't speak with you before Sunday, good luck on your test on Monday:-6
Abram Is Muslim

I don't get it.

Kathy Ellen;1206198 wrote: I have to leave for a few hours Muhamed. If I don't speak with you before Sunday, good luck on your test on Monday:-6

I wanna study :D , but I keep turning on the screen and typing :D

I answered Nomad for the friend who talked about Nomad post , I talked about the View at least in my faith about being chosen nation , or being in heaven and the Others in hell , I showed that has nothing to do with my faith , and we dont believe in that , You can revise the thread on A Muslims on board, and for Kathy:-6

Still Kathy You should search and find who created You , and about the Books , study whole the Books and find out who looks to be from the Creator as You expect him to be fair , loving ,and strong.

readwhole the books , and discuss them and find the right path by your self , compare the books and science , at least Quran , challange you and whole the non believers , and many verses ask for that challange ...

Can You imagine a book written 1400 years ago , challange people in the 21 century , if he won the challange , then it must be a book of God , not human , because human's knowledge grew with time , but the creator , is the one who created the knowledge it self....:)

Peace for u :)

I wont post again before Mondy :-5:-5

I ahve hard exam :-5:-5

No way :-5 I wont even look at my screen:-5:-5

:-5:-5:-5

:D:D:D:D:DI wish I can do that and not be weak :D:D:D::D

OpenMind

I don't get it.

Post by OpenMind »

I wouldn't say that I need to believe in anything. It just happens that I have developed a belief in the course of living my life. This comes from wanting to know how stuff works.
Fibonacci

I don't get it.

Post by Fibonacci »

Peg;1206106 wrote: What I don't get is people who go to church ever week, never missing, yet you see them in the bar drunk, talking nasty about people behind their backs, etc. If that is what religion is all about, it's not for me.

My thoughts exactly!
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
hoppy

I don't get it.

Post by hoppy »

What purpose would church serve if sinners were kept out?:confused:
nvalleyvee

I don't get it.

Post by nvalleyvee »

I have a real need to join. My hubby and I are isolated every day of the week. We decided to be joiners. We joined the Elks Lodge. They do charity work!!! How cool is that. Most of the people are either 15 years younger or 15 years older than we are. I had a good time today - I just went into the kitchen and started helping. They did not kick me out. I love to cook.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
nvalleyvee

I don't get it.

Post by nvalleyvee »

nvalleyvee;1206332 wrote: I have a real need to join. My hubby and I are isolated every day of the week. We decided to be joiners. We joined the Elks Lodge. They do charity work!!! How cool is that. Most of the people are either 15 years younger or 15 years older than we are. I had a good time today - I just went into the kitchen and started helping. They did not kick me out. I love to cook.

Isn't that what religion is all about.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Kathy Ellen

I don't get it.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

nvalleyvee;1206333 wrote: Isn't that what religion is all about.

Are you talking to yourself again NV:yh_rotfl ?

Remember that you can talk to yourself, answer yourself, but for Heaven's sake....DON'T INTERRUPT YOURSELF:wah:
Odie

I don't get it.

Post by Odie »

I know a women who faithfully goes to church every Sunday and prays to her god, and she is having an affair with a married man.......

yeah, like she really worships her god.......I don` t think so!:-5:-5

so much for her beliefs.:mad:
Life is just to short for drama.
Kathy Ellen

I don't get it.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

nvalleyvee;1206332 wrote: I have a real need to join. My hubby and I are isolated every day of the week. We decided to be joiners. We joined the Elks Lodge. They do charity work!!! How cool is that. Most of the people are either 15 years younger or 15 years older than we are. I had a good time today - I just went into the kitchen and started helping. They did not kick me out. I love to cook.

Yes NV...I agree that's what church should be about..helping your neighbors and being kind to each other. Good for you and hubby:-6
Chockygirl

I don't get it.

Post by Chockygirl »

Kathy Ellen;1206146 wrote:

Very well stated,Kathy.

I don't need to attend church to know how to treat people as I would like them to treat me.

I think it's very simple as well.
Chockygirl

I don't get it.

Post by Chockygirl »

Odie;1206340 wrote: I know a women who faithfully goes to church every Sunday and prays to her god, and she is having an affair with a married man.......

yeah, like she really worships her god.......I don` t think so!:-5:-5

so much for her beliefs.:mad:

I used to wonder what the paedophile clergy would say to their own particular god on judgement day to justify their continued abuse against children.

Do they really think that confession,time and time again,actually absolves their sins?
OpenMind

I don't get it.

Post by OpenMind »

Chockygirl;1206387 wrote:

I used to wonder what the paedophile clergy would say to their own particular god on judgement day to justify their continued abuse against children.

Do they really think that confession,time and time again,actually absolves their sins?

Why not? Jesus told the thief on the next cross that all he had to do is want to be in Paradise with Jesus - no confession, no absolvement.
Chockygirl

I don't get it.

Post by Chockygirl »

OpenMind;1206388 wrote: Why not? Jesus told the thief on the next cross that all he had to do is want to be in Paradise with Jesus - no confession, no absolvement.Does that sound okay to you,or not?
OpenMind

I don't get it.

Post by OpenMind »

Chockygirl;1206390 wrote: Does that sound okay to you,or not?

It,s not for me to judge. Aside from that, I don't profess to be a Christian. My own theory is wildly different to the Christian belief and, at present, I do not believe in an afterlife such as described in the New Testament. That makes my opinion completely irrelevant in this instance.
Odie

I don't get it.

Post by Odie »

Chockygirl;1206387 wrote:

but did they ever confess............
Life is just to short for drama.
AussiePam

I don't get it.

Post by AussiePam »

I do believe in God, which is not the same as "feeling the need" to believe in God. But, I would not presume to define God. I think too many humans have created a god in their own image and then tried to force that way too small idea on other humans, sometimes maybe with good intent, sometimes to further their own power agendas.

I don't feel the need for "religion" which in my opinion is a man-made construct, perhaps sometimes inspired, but still man-interpreted, thus fallible. Nor do I feel a need for churches, temples whatever. The God I believe in is not confined to buildings, nor is any one place any holier than any other. Or any one thing more sacred than any other thing.

Prayer, again in my opinion, is not just a string of words, though at times it might take that form, but a spontaneous response to that Otherness way beyond human comprehension. It may just be a profound silence.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

fuzzywuzzy

I don't get it.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I've read through all the posts here . and this is why I'm not devout. (moderate maybe?)

I've found I don't want to give "lip service" to what I believe is "the god" . I don't ask him for anything nor want anything from him. I just know he's there looking on, lovingly watching us, hoping we'll make the right choices.

As a Christian I was always told that god already knows my heart . He knows what I've endued and what kind of a person I've turned out to be and what decisions I'm likely to make in the future.

I was told once that only the sick seek out a doctor and a doctor only attends to the sick. good way to see how God works. :)

If you don't need him then don't bother him .that's my take on all of this.

the only thing that really pisses me off is when an athiest has a child die or a major calamity happen to them and say " It's not fair" .............I would ask what do you mean ? not fair to who? I would suspect an athiest believes in the law of averages, physics and the general understanding of "S'hit happens"

but what really pisses me off is when a religious person says when a death or major tragedy happens says " well God wanted them to be with him" or " god has sent you a test to endue.".....................:-5:-5:-5
buttercup

I don't get it.

Post by buttercup »

What about the amount of elderly that suddenly turn to god. Is it a fear of dying that brings that about or the company of being part of the group or do they just find god later in life?
hoppy

I don't get it.

Post by hoppy »

buttercup;1206463 wrote: What about the amount of elderly that suddenly turn to god. Is it a fear of dying that brings that about or the company of being part of the group or do they just find god later in life?

Maybe it just comforts them. Maybe they just want to cover all the bases. You'll know when you get to old age.
spot

I don't get it.

Post by spot »

Kathy Ellen;1206341 wrote: Yes NV...I agree that's what church should be about..helping your neighbors and being kind to each other. Good for you and hubby:-6

I'm not sure one can call the Elks Lodge a religion. I note that it's as equally open to Muslims as it is to Christians, for example. A belief in God is a requirement for membership.

As for the matter of opinion being disparaged on FG, I dispute that. I've frequently challenged posters for evidence when they've given an opinion of fact (such as, for example, whether the death penalty deters potential murderers) but never when they've given an opinion of belief (such as whether they feel good when a convicted murderer is executed, regardless of the inevitability that some people will be convicted of murder where in fact it turns out later that they didn't commit the crime they were accused of). Religious opinion is primarily a personal statement, not a question of fact.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Samuel

I don't get it.

Post by Samuel »

I think what it boils down to is a need to know how we came to exist. Was it an accident? Or is there a creator behind our existance?

Most people want a purpose in their lives that has some meaning other than just having a good time before we die.
Samuel

I don't get it.

Post by Samuel »

buttercup;1206065 wrote: Ok so you believe there is a god, why do you prey to him or her, why do you need a place to do it in with others.

I think the Creator wants us to have a relationship with Him. He draws us to Him.

We don't need a place to pray to God; we can pray anywhere at anytime, but being a part of a church community, in my case, allows me fellowship with others -- sort of like a family.
Samuel

I don't get it.

Post by Samuel »

buttercup;1206103 wrote: If your god does not need elaborate buildings why are they elaborate? They are often the largest buildings in any town or city. Does it make you feel a better person for providing these things even knowing that he/she does not want or need them? That does not make sence to me either.

A lot of churches are very plain. A church is the house of God and it should be beautiful.

Having a beautiful church does not make me feel like a better person.
Samuel

I don't get it.

Post by Samuel »

Peg;1206106 wrote: What I don't get is people who go to church ever week, never missing, yet you see them in the bar drunk, talking nasty about people behind their backs, etc. If that is what religion is all about, it's not for me.

There are a lot of people in all religions who do not follow the teachings of their religions.

Christianity does not teach that it is OK to get drunk in bars or talk nasty about people -- it teaches the opposite.

The point is to follow the teachings of the New Testament, in my case, and not to follow what men do.
Ted

I don't get it.

Post by Ted »

One thing is for sure. Christianity does not hold a monopoly on error and misbehavior.

Shalom

Ted:-6
fuzzywuzzy

I don't get it.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

havent seen you around for a bit Ted? missed you:)
farmer giles

I don't get it.

Post by farmer giles »

hoppy;1206074 wrote: I feel the same way as you about providing links for every damn word said. Hey, if I found this item, someone else can find it. I like to say, "it's in the book. Look it up".

er got a link to prove that hopster :wah:
buttercup

I don't get it.

Post by buttercup »

Hi Samuel

How very nice to meet you. Thank you for responding to my questions.

Samuel;1220725 wrote: I think what it boils down to is a need to know how we came to exist. Was it an accident? Or is there a creator behind our existance?

Does science not answer how we came to exist? Why do you choose a creator over science?

Most people want a purpose in their lives that has some meaning other than just having a good time before we die.

Do you think people who do not believe in a god are just about having a good time and their lives have no meaning, surely not?

Samuel;1220730 wrote: I think the Creator wants us to have a relationship with Him. He draws us to Him.

I think that's fair enough if you want to believe that, i struggle with that belief personally.

We don't need a place to pray to God; we can pray anywhere at anytime, but being a part of a church community, in my case, allows me fellowship with others -- sort of like a family.

Surely the same could be said for most groups or clubs?

Samuel;1220731 wrote: A lot of churches are very plain. A church is the house of God and it should be beautiful.

I have yet to see a plain church, even the smallest most remote places have spectacular stained glass windows which must have cost a fortune but yes, i see your point in why you would want it to be a beautiful place and if your prepared to pay for it, fair enough.

Having a beautiful church does not make me feel like a better person.

But you have just said the house of god should be beautiful, your contributions and those of your congregation payed for that and maintain it. It must make you feel better about yourself in doing so? EG: Putting a new roof on your church.

May i ask what religion you are or what your beliefs are in your religion? Also do you think there is only one god and all the other religions are wrong? Thanks.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”