Baldness questions...

Issues relating specifically to men's health.
With Teeth

Baldness questions...

Post by With Teeth »

Hi.

I was wondering some questions about hair loss and genetics.

Well, I just turned 17 (but please don't think I'm too young to be worrying about this).

I love my hair, it's nice and thick. It has never occured to me that I would go bald. My hair grows back extremely quickly after I cut it, usually in two weeks, half of it is back. To me, it seems, thick, but when I spike it up and put gel on it, people comment on it saying they can see my scalp, and that my hair is "thin", but, to me, it's thick, like I said.

But, I was wondering about hair loss. I love my hair, and I think I'd look stupid if I lost it.

I know sometimes it's classified as a rumor or myth, but my father isn't bald, a full head actually, and he's 46. My maternal grandfather is not bald either, he's 70, a full head of hair on his head.

However, my paternal grandfather is in his 80's, and his hair is slightly thinning. And my maternal grandfather, although I did not meet him, was bald as well.

Basically, the two "important hair-genetics males" in my family have full heads of hair, and yet, the main people who are bald in my family are from my maternal grandmother's side.

Should I be worried or concerned?

Genetics aside, in my heart, I feel like I will not go bald. I dunno, something tells me that my hair is too strong for it to fall out. But I'd like to hear some opinions.
CARLA

Baldness questions...

Post by CARLA »

While genes are the most common cause of baldness, there is no evidence that you would inherit this from one side of the family or the other. Just take care of your hair because it will thin as you age.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lon

Baldness questions...

Post by Lon »

With Teeth;1199381 wrote: Hi.

Well, I just turned 17 (but please don't think I'm too young to be worrying about this).

I love my hair, it's nice and thick. It has never occured to me that I would go bald. My hair grows back extremely quickly after I cut it, usually in two weeks, half of it is back. To me, it seems, thick, but when I spike it up and put gel on it, people comment on it saying they can see my scalp, and that my hair is "thin", but, to me, it's thick, like I said.

But, I was wondering about hair loss. I love my hair, and I think I'd look stupid if I lost it.

I know sometimes it's classified as a rumor or myth, but my father isn't bald, a full head actually, and he's 46. My maternal grandfather is not bald either, he's 70, a full head of hair on his head.

However, my paternal grandfather is in his 80's, and his hair is slightly thinning. And my maternal grandfather, although I did not meet him, was bald as well.

Basically, the two "important hair-genetics males" in my family have full heads of hair, and yet, the main people who are bald in my family are from my maternal grandmother's side.

Genetics aside, in my heart, I feel like I will not go bald. I dunno, something tells me that my hair is too strong for it to fall out. But I'd like to hear some opinions.

I wouldn't worry. I am 74 and have a full head of hair but it's very fine. At 17 I could see my scalp through the hairs as well. When I was your age it was pomade instead of jel (greasy crap). You are not likely to go bald gven your family history.
Victoria

Baldness questions...

Post by Victoria »

From a womans point of view.

While we would walk a mile round the bloke to avoid men with comb overs and wigs bald men can be very sexy.

Enjoy it while you have it and be sexy when you dont then you get the best of both worlds:wah:
abbey

Baldness questions...

Post by abbey »

With Teeth;1199381 wrote: Hi.

Stop worrying, it'll make you hair fall out. ;)
With Teeth

Baldness questions...

Post by With Teeth »

Lon;1199405 wrote: I wouldn't worry. I am 74 and have a full head of hair but it's very fine. At 17 I could see my scalp through the hairs as well. When I was your age it was pomade instead of jel (greasy crap). You are not likely to go bald gven your family history.

Thank you, sir. =)

It's nice to have a man with experience telling you this.

Also, I have an older brother, but I'm wondering if the hair genetics are different with each other.
Sunshine

Baldness questions...

Post by Sunshine »

It is a 50 50 chance that you might. Everyones hair thins a bit as we get older. I know mine is and I am female. As for bald, If your hairline starts receding then yes, you just might go bald. Until then, enjoy your hair and try and not worry so much.
farmer giles

Baldness questions...

Post by farmer giles »

as king fg baldie :D

what you worried about ,hair today gone tomorrow:yh_rotfl

i went bald at an early age about 15 i was horrorfied but now i would want my hair back them ladies love it *

* i have no actual proof that ladies love it but saying it makes me feel better :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:o
With Teeth

Baldness questions...

Post by With Teeth »

Sunshine;1199688 wrote: It is a 50 50 chance that you might.

Mmm, I agree with this.

Well, to make things seem a little more on my side, they say usually you inherit the hair gene from the men on your mother's side.

Well, my maternal grandfather isn't bald, and HIS father wasn't bald. it was quite long, actually. He was 101 when he died, I met him when I was 10.

Tell you the truth, like I said, the only people in my family who can be considered "bald" is my maternal grandmother's side. I knew it. Her family isn't very healthy anyway.

I got more physical traits from my dad anyways. His family is very healthy. People say I look just like my dad, ha ha. I agree, although I hate it when they mention. You'd think that they don't know that I know it.

I'm going to the doctor's soon to get a physical so I can get permission from my school to play Soccer. Perhaps I could ask a few hair genetic questions there. :D
mominiowa

Baldness questions...

Post by mominiowa »

OHHHHH let me tell you!!!~~ Bald is beautiful...Bald is HOT...and Bald is EASY to adjust too..Hee hee hee hee --- Ok so losing it with chemo is quite different to what you are referring to--and I understand your concern..I was married to a man who has been bald for nearly 15 years and still has a fit about it EVERY morning when he goes to comb his fair~and~ few hairs he has left...:(~~But it is true...Stop WORRYING or your hair will fall out!!~~:)

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
ekotter

Baldness questions...

Post by ekotter »

I've had the same concern. But I've come to realize that a lot of women, if this is a concern for you, still like bald men. Don't worry about it. Don't be overly concerned about anything really.
farmer giles

Baldness questions...

Post by farmer giles »

ekotter;1236159 wrote: I've had the same concern. But I've come to realize that a lot of women, if this is a concern for you, still like bald men. Don't worry about it. Don't be overly concerned about anything really.

yup them womin love a bald guy:-4:-4

just think no sharing hair brushes

no sharing the mirror with us

we never have a bad hair day :D:D
b0z0

Baldness questions...

Post by b0z0 »

You need to enjoy while you have it..

You'll have time to worry later!!
b0z0

Baldness questions...

Post by b0z0 »

And when it's later..you don't care:yh_rotfl
mikefisher

Baldness questions...

Post by mikefisher »

Since you said that your father is not bald, then genetically you are safe from getting bald when you gets old. Yet, genetics is not the only factor that will get you bald in the near future. Say, chemicals you apply to your hair contains a lot of irritants to your scalp. I guess you don't have much of a choice when it comes to your genes, just focus on modifiable factors to keep your hair from getting shed off.
YOUR LINK IN SIGNATURE HAS BEEN REMOVED..
Oscar Namechange

Baldness questions...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

mikefisher;1299783 wrote: Since you said that your father is not bald, then genetically you are safe from getting bald when you gets old. Yet, genetics is not the only factor that will get you bald in the near future. Say, chemicals you apply to your hair contains a lot of irritants to your scalp. I guess you don't have much of a choice when it comes to your genes, just focus on modifiable factors to keep your hair from getting shed off.

My Father was completely bald by 30. Except for a hedge growing round the side that he let grow to shoulder length to do that Jackie Charlton Flip Over.

All the men descended from my Father began to lose their hair at around 26 years old.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Baldness questions...

Post by LarsMac »

I have more hair than either of my grandfathers did at my age.

More teeth, too, for that matter.

Though my hairline has receded a bit.

My uncle says I have a fivehead, instead of a forehead.

When I was young, I loved my hair, and all the women did, too.

It was thick and wavy, and long.

Now it is thinning out and I keep it kinda short because I don't wanna fool with it.

Don't scratch your head with your nails. it kills the follicles.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Men's Health”