Sabbath

Clint

Sabbath

Post by Clint »

Ted;1181616 wrote: Clint:-6

Do not get rid of your father's wisdom. It is through understanding the past that we can understand today and look forward to the future. The last generation's wisdom as well as the wisdom of the ancients is very important.

Shalom

Ted:-6

Thank you. I will honor my father's wisdom and try to pass it along to the next generation.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Mickiel

Sabbath

Post by Mickiel »

Clint;1181721 wrote: Thank you. I will honor my father's wisdom and try to pass it along to the next generation.

Jeremiah 16:19;" Our Fathers have inherited nothing but falsehood, futility and things of no profit."

This is how deception grows , it swells inside of us, and then we pass it down to our children.

Peace.
Snowfire

Sabbath

Post by Snowfire »

Mickiel;1181799 wrote: Jeremiah 16:19;" Our Fathers have inherited nothing but falsehood, futility and things of no profit."

This is how deception grows , it swells inside of us, and then we pass it down to our children.

Peace.

I cant think of anything worse than dismissing our fathers wisdom. It makes us who we are. Our relationship with our fathers establishes our character. The last thing I ever got from my father was futility and falsehood. I profit greatly from the love and nurture passed from my parents.

You simply cast it aside as of no profit ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
gmc

Sabbath

Post by gmc »

Wisdom is subjective is it not. What if your father was a religious bigot? Would you still pass that on? Not having a go at anyone but religious bigotry is learned from you parents arguably it is one of the most destructive forces in modern society-or any come to that. You can dislike people for many reasons but it takes religion to make hatred truly vicious.
Snowfire

Sabbath

Post by Snowfire »

gmc;1181863 wrote: Wisdom is subjective is it not. What if your father was a religious bigot? Would you still pass that on? Not having a go at anyone but religious bigotry is learned from you parents arguably it is one of the most destructive forces in modern society-or any come to that. You can dislike people for many reasons but it takes religion to make hatred truly vicious.

Your right of course but I was fortunate enough to have a father who believed in God (I still have the bible that was presented to him as a young man ) but never once forced any thoughts or beliefs upon any of us.

I was encouraged to think for myself and in later life decide that I was an Athiest. I'm very comfortable with that as he was with his beliefs.

What I think I was saying was his general wisdom as a father, characterises who I am today
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Mickiel

Sabbath

Post by Mickiel »

gmc;1181863 wrote: Wisdom is subjective is it not. What if your father was a religious bigot? Would you still pass that on? Not having a go at anyone but religious bigotry is learned from you parents arguably it is one of the most destructive forces in modern society-or any come to that. You can dislike people for many reasons but it takes religion to make hatred truly vicious.

I agree, Parents can pass down wisdom and foolishness, and often their children are not yet mature enough to understand the difference. So it just depernds. The scripture I posted shows what happens when parents pass down things concerning God, that are not true. Things passed down about the words of God that are not true, things passed down through our " Traditional ways", parents to children, generation to generation.

A lot of deception in religion has been estasblished in this manner.

Peace.
Bryn Mawr

Sabbath

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Mickiel;1181799 wrote: Jeremiah 16:19;" Our Fathers have inherited nothing but falsehood, futility and things of no profit."

Peace.

Whilst this might have applied to one group of fathers in one part of the world two thousand + years ago - it does not apply to all fathers in all places at all times.

Indeed, are we not commanded to honour our father and mother, does Paul not repeat this in his letter to the Ephesians and do the proverbs not instruct us to hear the instruction of our fathers?

Selective quoting of a single phrase from the Bible can prove anything you like - until you consider the context and the alternatives and the context in which they were made.
qsducks

Sabbath

Post by qsducks »

Clint;1180446 wrote: Sabbath is where the word "sabbatical" comes from. It means to take a break. Religion has confused its meaning so that many people relate the word to going to Church or Synagogue. When you gave your son the day off, in a way, you gave him a sabbath day. He probably didn't see it coming.:wah:

:yh_rotfl. Yeah, he slept in till 10am. He's only 7 yrs. I just wish hubs woould get that kind of sleep sometimes:-5...always working.
Mickiel

Sabbath

Post by Mickiel »

Bryn Mawr;1181912 wrote: Whilst this might have applied to one group of fathers in one part of the world two thousand + years ago - it does not apply to all fathers in all places at all times.

Indeed, are we not commanded to honour our father and mother, does Paul not repeat this in his letter to the Ephesians and do the proverbs not instruct us to hear the instruction of our fathers?

Selective quoting of a single phrase from the Bible can prove anything you like - until you consider the context and the alternatives and the context in which they were made.

I apply it when I see people supporting things in the bible that they have taken out of context. Pratcing old biblical Holy Days is part of an old covenant mentality, that certain believers just cannot let go of and move on into the new. One reason some of them are stuck, is because its their family tradition. Which is a strong barrier to going into more truth.

You can't learn new truth, if your stuck on old paths. WE should honor our parents, and I have NEVER even suggested anythingelse of the sort. But when it comes to the things of God, if they are off track, we shouldnot follow them or agree with them.

Peace.
Bryn Mawr

Sabbath

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Mickiel;1181933 wrote: I apply it when I see people supporting things in the bible that they have taken out of context. Pratcing old biblical Holy Days is part of an old covenant mentality, that certain believers just cannot let go of and move on into the new. One reason some of them are stuck, is because its their family tradition. Which is a strong barrier to going into more truth.

You can't learn new truth, if your stuck on old paths. WE should honor our parents, and I have NEVER even suggested anythingelse of the sort. But when it comes to the things of God, if they are off track, we shouldnot follow them or agree with them.

Peace.

When it comes to any advisor on any subject we must engage our critical faculties - we are not clones and the final say is down to us.
Mickiel

Sabbath

Post by Mickiel »

Bryn Mawr;1181937 wrote: When it comes to any advisor on any subject we must engage our critical faculties - we are not clones and the final say is down to us.

Yes, thats what I am saying, and I think its what the bible means by our fathers have inherited lies. Lies about God, because history has a habit of lying about God. I used to have a neighbor that we invited for dinner a couple of times. Well because of their religion, they insisted that in order for them to eat with us, that we must allow them to first wash our dishes, sterlize them, in effect. Well I thought it unusual, but we said yes, go ahead, it didnot bother me.

I asked why, of course. They told me it was part of their family tradition, passed down from generation to generation. Their daughters couldnot wear pants, or cut their hair. They were not Mormons, but had simular ways. I could go on and list many negative outdated things they believed, but the point I am making is that this behavior was passed down in the name of religion.

Peace.
Clint

Sabbath

Post by Clint »

Mickiel;1181941 wrote: Yes, thats what I am saying, and I think its what the bible means by our fathers have inherited lies. Lies about God, because history has a habit of lying about God. I used to have a neighbor that we invited for dinner a couple of times. Well because of their religion, they insisted that in order for them to eat with us, that we must allow them to first wash our dishes, sterlize them, in effect. Well I thought it unusual, but we said yes, go ahead, it didnot bother me.

I asked why, of course. They told me it was part of their family tradition, passed down from generation to generation. Their daughters couldnot wear pants, or cut their hair. They were not Mormons, but had simular ways. I could go on and list many negative outdated things they believed, but the point I am making is that this behavior was passed down in the name of religion.

Peace.

I think traditions are good. At 61 years old I wish my parents had instilled more of them in me and I wish I had given more to my children. It took way too long for me to learn the value of healthy traditions.

I am always saddened by young people who judge those who went before them so harshly. I remember when I foolishly did the same thing.

The tradition and observance of a Sabbath is a good thing. I say that from having lived life with a Sabbath and without. If someone can explain why observing a Sabbath is bad, aside from their concern that someone may do it for what they perceive to be the wrong reason, I would like to hear it.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Ted

Sabbath

Post by Ted »

Clint:-6

I don't think there is anything wrong with it but here in Canada we are a multicultural society and have to allow for other belief systems. Which is fine with me. In our house we go to church every Sunday and usually relax the rest of the day.

Shalom

Clint

Sabbath

Post by Clint »

Ted;1182157 wrote: Clint:-6

I don't think there is anything wrong with it but here in Canada we are a multicultural society and have to allow for other belief systems. Which is fine with me. In our house we go to church every Sunday and usually relax the rest of the day.

Shalom

Saturday, Sunday...any day. If we pick one and stick with it, it is a good thing. We prefer Saturdays and spend them doing as little as possible. When I ignore my Sabbath I regret it.

I haven't been attending services anywhere for over a year.
Mickiel

Sabbath

Post by Mickiel »

Clint;1182145 wrote:

The tradition and observance of a Sabbath is a good thing. I say that from having lived life with a Sabbath and without. If someone can explain why observing a Sabbath is bad, aside from their concern that someone may do it for what they perceive to be the wrong reason, I would like to hear it.

I think Idol worship would be a good place to start. I like cats, they are impressive. They are a good animal. Would it be a " Bad thing" for me then to set aside a day in honor of Cats? A day that I do nothing but deal with my cat or other cats? A day of honor to cats. A " Holy day for cats." Whats wrong with that? Why should I care about who does not agree with it, if it does something for me, and I believe in it?

Well I think it wouldNOT be a bad thing, as long as I do not judge others by their reaction to my perception. As long as I do not try to spread my belief, as something " God himself requires others to do." I feel this way about the sabbath. If you choose to keep it, are you then going to require others to keep it, in order for them to be recipiants of the benefits you claim you receive from it? And if they do not agree, will you then claim that they are wrong?

Humans then erect Idols out of things that THEY feel are of value, and then impose those on others.

If you keep it to yourself, then I see no harm to others. You then benefit from it. But if you try to then state that its something God wants a person to do, then you must be ready to defend such a claim.

Peace.
Clint

Sabbath

Post by Clint »

Mickiel;1182185 wrote: I think Idol worship would be a good place to start. I like cats, they are impressive. They are a good animal. Would it be a " Bad thing" for me then to set aside a day in honor of Cats? A day that I do nothing but deal with my cat or other cats? A day of honor to cats. A " Holy day for cats." Whats wrong with that? Why should I care about who does not agree with it, if it does something for me, and I believe in it?

Well I think it wouldNOT be a bad thing, as long as I do not judge others by their reaction to my perception. As long as I do not try to spread my belief, as something " God himself requires others to do." I feel this way about the sabbath. If you choose to keep it, are you then going to require others to keep it, in order for them to be recipiants of the benefits you claim you receive from it? And if they do not agree, will you then claim that they are wrong?

Humans then erect Idols out of things that THEY feel are of value, and then impose those on others.

If you keep it to yourself, then I see no harm to others. You then benefit from it. But if you try to then state that its something God wants a person to do, then you must be ready to defend such a claim.

Peace.

Didn't you, in earlier posts, tell us that the Sabbath is not to be observed because you believe God did away with it. Isn't your argument that you are in line with what God wants and those who honor a Sabbath are out of line?
Mickiel

Sabbath

Post by Mickiel »

Clint;1182326 wrote: Didn't you, in earlier posts, tell us that the Sabbath is not to be observed because you believe God did away with it. Isn't your argument that you are in line with what God wants and those who honor a Sabbath are out of line?

No its not. First, I am not argueing. Second, I am not christian, I do not know God, thus I am not " In line with him." So you got your views of me mixed up. I am speaking from my own belief, my own understanding, my own view of the bible and what it clearly says from my reading it.

I can read. The bible is absolutely clear that the sabbath was done away with, as was the feast of tabernacles, the passover, the days of unleaven bread, all of the old covenant holy days were discontinued by Christ himself. He is Lord over all those things, and he did away with them.

But certain people just can't handle that, because they " Need those crutches" to help them walk.

Peace.
Clint

Sabbath

Post by Clint »

Mickiel;1182400 wrote: No its not. First, I am not argueing. Second, I am not christian, I do not know God, thus I am not " In line with him." So you got your views of me mixed up. I am speaking from my own belief, my own understanding, my own view of the bible and what it clearly says from my reading it.

I can read. The bible is absolutely clear that the sabbath was done away with, as was the feast of tabernacles, the passover, the days of unleaven bread, all of the old covenant holy days were discontinued by Christ himself. He is Lord over all those things, and he did away with them.

But certain people just can't handle that, because they " Need those crutches" to help them walk.

Peace.

Okay, your not a Christian and you are not arguing. You are just strongly stating you point of view. "Christ himself. He is Lord over all those things,"...you said it, not me...Christ is Lord...sounds Christain to me.

Anyway, we are now going in circles. Have a great day!
Mickiel

Sabbath

Post by Mickiel »

Clint;1182433 wrote: Okay, your not a Christian and you are not arguing. You are just strongly stating you point of view. "Christ himself. He is Lord over all those things,"...you said it, not me...Christ is Lord...sounds Christain to me.

Anyway, we are now going in circles. Have a great day!

And you have a nice day also, I was not trying to take your popsickle away from you. I understand how much you need your sabbath.

May you fare well,

Peace.
Ted

Sabbath

Post by Ted »

Clint:-6

Mickiel still hasn't learned. Sad.

Shalom

Clint

Sabbath

Post by Clint »

Ted;1182904 wrote: Clint:-6

Mickiel still hasn't learned. Sad.

Shalom

It's also sad that because of an emergency and had to work today. My Sabbath was ruined.:-1
Mickiel

Sabbath

Post by Mickiel »

Jesus taught in Matt.12:3-8, that the sabbath had become so overblow, that people didnot want to even work on it. He showed that you can, which many zealots rejected. Jesus called himself, " The Lord of the sabbath", meaning he overules it. He is more important than the sabbath. Through him, we don't need a sabbath. In vs. 11-13, he showed the common sense of helping mere animals as more important than the sabbath. If a simple animal needed help on the sabbath, is your reverence for this day so " Spiritual", that you would ignore an animals need for help. He was breaking down these very strong walls that believers had errected on the sabbath, which still stand even unto this day.

People revere the sabbath so much, its as if they think man was created for the sabbath. But Jesus taught that the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. It shouldnot rule over us, but we rule over it.

You know, some think the sabbath is so holy, that it just rules us. " Oh, its the sabbath now" , I can't do this, I must do that. Allowing the day to rule over them, lord it over them. This is a serious misunderstanding.

And I think its a sad thing to witness.

Peace.
Clint

Sabbath

Post by Clint »

Mickiel;1182959 wrote: Jesus taught in Matt.12:3-8, that the sabbath had become so overblow, that people didnot want to even work on it. He showed that you can, which many zealots rejected. Jesus called himself, " The Lord of the sabbath", meaning he overules it. He is more important than the sabbath. Through him, we don't need a sabbath. In vs. 11-13, he showed the common sense of helping mere animals as more important than the sabbath. If a simple animal needed help on the sabbath, is your reverence for this day so " Spiritual", that you would ignore an animals need for help. He was breaking down these very strong walls that believers had errected on the sabbath, which still stand even unto this day.

People revere the sabbath so much, its as if they think man was created for the sabbath. But Jesus taught that the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. It shouldnot rule over us, but we rule over it.

You know, some think the sabbath is so holy, that it just rules us. " Oh, its the sabbath now" , I can't do this, I must do that. Allowing the day to rule over them, lord it over them. This is a serious misunderstanding.

And I think its a sad thing to witness.

Peace.

I could use the Bible to point out the error in your statements but my whole point here has been that the Sabbath has value to man. I personally enjoy that value. I’m sorry you don’t understand that I do it because I need the rest. I simply pointed out that it is an ancient law that works well for us in practical ways.

You seem to have a problem with the law so I suppose you are okay with murder, stealing and adultery. People who don’t murder are keeping the law...shame on them.

Shalom
Mickiel

Sabbath

Post by Mickiel »

Clint;1182967 wrote: I could use the Bible to point out the error in your statements but my whole point here has been that the Sabbath has value to man. I personally enjoy that value. I’m sorry you don’t understand that I do it because I need the rest. I simply pointed out that it is an ancient law that works well for us in practical ways.

You seem to have a problem with the law so I suppose you are okay with murder, stealing and adultery. People who don’t murder are keeping the law...shame on them.

Shalom

I am using the bible to point out the error in your ways.

So now you suppose that I am okay with murder, stealing and adultery. So now your just becomming unreasonable and insulting.

Its because you think I am trying to take away your crutch.

Peace.
Accountable

Sabbath

Post by Accountable »

Mickiel, don't you see that your own posts have been insulting as well? I used to often find it amusing when people try to out-enlighten each other, seeming to brag about how much humility they have. It's not amusing this time, just sad. Maybe I'm tired.

I doubt discussions in this vein do much for enlightening others.
Kathy Ellen

Sabbath

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Mickiel,

Please stop badgering Clint and let him enjoy his Sabbath. It's a day of rest not a crutch to him.
Mickiel

Sabbath

Post by Mickiel »

Kathy Ellen;1183017 wrote: Mickiel,

Please stop badgering Clint and let him enjoy his Sabbath. It's a day of rest not a crutch to him.

Woman, what you consider badgering, I consider explaining. Clint stated that we cannot realize spiritual benefits without keeping the sabbath. I disagree with that, and have shown in the word why. But now if what you really want is to silence me, you have but to ask.

Peace.
Kathy Ellen

Sabbath

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Mickiel;1183065 wrote: Woman, what you consider badgering, I consider explaining. Clint stated that we cannot realize spiritual benefits without keeping the sabbath. I disagree with that, and have shown in the word why. But now if what you really want is to silence me, you have but to ask.

Peace.

Woman:wah::wah: My name is Kathy Ellen.

I'm not trying to silence you......I would never try to silence anyone. I just think that you can be nicer or maybe less sarcastic.
Clint

Sabbath

Post by Clint »

I apologize. I wasn't trying to insult anyone. I was just trying to make a point.

If I had only been clearer with my intent this could have been a very interesting thread. We might have discussed traditions and practices we have thrown away only to discover their value later.

Western culture has become one that misses the value in what it already has. We are thoughtlessly moving on to the new as we discard things proven to be valuable over several millenniums. It seems like new trumps value every time. And if it's roots are in religion some people will discard it even if it would save their life. The course we are on seems to be one that will destroy us or teach us lessons mankind has been forced to painfully learn over and over again.
Mickiel

Sabbath

Post by Mickiel »

Kathy Ellen;1183066 wrote: Woman:wah::wah: My name is Kathy Ellen.

I'm not trying to silence you......I would never try to silence anyone. I just think that you can be nicer or maybe less sarcastic.

Kathy, I do not use sarcasm, and I am not a mean poster. I can be serious, direct, even frank, but I am not mean or sarcastic.

I disagree with how you are viewing me.

I am sorry for calling you a woman. I meant nothing by it.

Peace.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”